List of busiest airports by passenger traffic
The world's busiest airports by passenger traffic are measured by total passengers (data from Airports Council International), defined as passengers enplaned plus passengers deplaned plus direct-transit passengers. Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport has held the top spot as the world's busiest airport each year since 1998, except for 2020, when it was temporarily unseated by Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta regained the top position in 2021. Alternatively, London has the world's busiest city airport system by passenger count.
As of 2021, the United States accounts for the top seven busiest airports in the world, and 10 of the top 12 positions. Six countries have at least two airports in the top 50, with the United States at 20 and China at 13, Turkey with three; and Mexico, Russia, and South Korea with two airports each. In terms of regions, North America has 22 airports in the top 50, followed by East Asia at 16, Europe at seven, West Asia at three, and South Asia and South America each have one.
Graph for the first 10
- Kenji Kawase (25 January 2021). "China's Guangzhou airport crowns itself the world's busiest for 2020". Nikkei Asia. Retrieved 14 February 2021.
- Hunter, Marnie (April 11, 2022). "This US airport has reclaimed its title as the world's busiest". CNN.com.
- "2021 Airport Traffic Report" (PDF). Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. April 2022. p. 32.
- "2020 Airport Traffic Report" (PDF). Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. July 2021. p. 30. Retrieved 26 Sep 2021.
- "ACI reveals top 20 airports for passenger traffic, cargo, and aircraft movements" (Press release). Airports Council International. 2020-05-19. Retrieved 2022-08-19.
- 2019 Annual Airport Traffic Report (PDF). United States: Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. 2020.
- "World's top five fastest growing airports for passengers and cargo revealed" (Press release). 2019-09-17. Retrieved 2022-08-19.
- "2018 Air Traffic Report" (PDF).
- "2017 Annual Airport Traffic Report" (PDF). Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. 10 April 2018. p. 28. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 October 2019. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "List: The world's 20 busiest airports (2017)". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "ACI reveals the world's busiest passenger and cargo airports". Airport World. 9 April 2018. Archived from the original on 28 June 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "2016 Annual Airport Traffic Report" (PDF). Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. 28 April 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 August 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2017.