Chaoyang District, Beijing
Location of Chaoyang District in Beijing
|Township-level divisions||41 subdistricts|
|District seat||Jianwai Subdistrict (建外街道)|
|• Total||475 km2 (183 sq mi)|
|Elevation||34 m (112 ft)|
|• Density||7,500/km2 (19,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Chaoyang District (simplified Chinese: 朝阳区; traditional Chinese: 朝陽區; pinyin: Cháoyáng Qū; literally: 'facing the sun') is a core district of Beijing. It borders the districts of Shunyi to the northeast, Tongzhou to the east and southeast, Daxing to the south, Fengtai to the southwest, Dongcheng, Xicheng and Haidian to the west, and Changping to the northwest.
Chaoyang is home to the majority of Beijing's many foreign embassies, the well-known Sanlitun bar street, as well as Beijing's growing central business district. The Olympic Green, built for the 2008 Summer Olympics, is also in Chaoyang. Chaoyang extends west to Chaoyangmen on the eastern 2nd Ring Road, and nearly as far east as the Ximazhuang toll station on the Jingtong Expressway. Within the urban area of Beijing, it occupies 475 square kilometres (183 sq mi), making it the central city's largest district, with Haidian second. As of 2005, Chaoyang had a total population of 3,642,000, making it the most populous district in Beijing. The district has jurisdiction over 22 subdistrict offices and 20 area offices. Chaoyang is also home to Silk Street, and many other market areas, shopping malls, and restaurant strips.
- 1 Administrative divisions
- 2 Government and infrastructure
- 3 Economy
- 4 Embassies
- 5 Developments
- 6 Transport
- 7 Education
- 8 Notable areas
- 9 References
- 10 External links
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Jianwai Subdistrict||建外街道||Jiànwài Jiēdào||34,692||4.40|
|Chaowai Subdistrict||朝外街道||Cháowài Jiēdào||39,999||2.20|
|Hujialou Subdistrict||呼家楼街道||Hūjiālóu Jiēdào||61,588||2.80|
|Sanlitun Subdistrict||三里屯街道||Sānlǐtún Jiēdào||35,394||2.90|
|Zuojiazhuang Subdistrict||左家庄街道||Zuǒjiāzhuāng Jiēdào||80,249||4.17|
|Xiangheyuan Subdistrict||香河园街道||Xiānghéyuán Jiēdào||51,880||2.50|
|Heping Street Subdistrict||和平街街道||Hépíngjiē Jiēdào||108,406||4.54|
|Anzhen Subdistrict||安贞街道||Ānzhēn Jiēdào||68,454||3.60|
|Yayuncun Subdistrict||亚运村街道||Yàyùncūn Jiēdào||72,415||5.13|
|Xiaoguan Subdistrict||小关街道||Xiǎoguān Jiēdào||68,363||2.58|
|Jiuxianqiao Subdistrict||酒仙桥街道||Jiǔxiānqiáo Jiēdào||62,127||5.30|
|Maizidian Subdistrict||麦子店街道||Màizidiàn Jiēdào||31,741||6.80|
|Tuanjiehu Subdistrict||团结湖街道||Tuánjiéhú Jiēdào||37,674||1.23|
|Liulitun Subdistrict||六里屯街道||Liùlǐtún Jiēdào||107,943||4.40|
|Balizhuang Subdistrict||八里庄街道||Bālǐzhuāng Jiēdào||107,542||4.40|
|Shuangjing Subdistrict||双井街道||Shuāngjǐng Jiēdào||96,898||43.80|
|Jinsong Subdistrict||劲松街道||Jìnsōng Jiēdào||106,983||5.20|
|Panjiayuan Subdistrict||潘家园街道||Pānjiāyuán Jiēdào||113,115||4.30|
|Fatou Subdistrict||垡头街道||Fátóu Jiēdào||54,872||9.60|
|Datun Subdistrict||大屯街道||Dàtún Jiēdào||141,433||10.01|
|Wangjing Subdistrict||望京街道||Wàngjīng Jiēdào||168,167||10.36|
|Aoyuncun Subdistrict||奥运村街道||Àoyùncūn Jiēdào||105,263||19.60|
|Capital Airport Subdistrict||首都机场街道||Shǒudū Jīchǎng Jiēdào||20,512||12.50|
|Donghu Subdistrict||东湖街道||Dōnghú Jiēdào||64,074||10.40|
|Nanmofang (Township) Area||南磨房(乡)地区||Nánmòfáng (Xiāng) Dìqū||129,844||10.00|
|Gaobeidian (Township) Area||高碑店(乡)地区||Gāobēidiàn (Xiāng) Dìqū||118,094||15.30|
|Jiangtai (Township) Area||将台(乡)地区||Jiāngtái (Xiāng) Dìqū||71,341||13.70|
|Taiyanggong (Township) Area||太阳宫(乡)地区||Tàiyánggōng (Xiāng) Dìqū||70,367||5.85|
|Xiaohongmen (Township) Area||小红门(乡)地区||Xiǎohóngmén (Xiāng) Dìqū||57,751||12.50|
|Shibalidian (Township) Area||十八里店(乡)地区||Shíbālǐdiàn (Xiāng) Dìqū||200,884||23.30|
|Pingfang (Township) Area||平房(乡)地区||Píngfáng (Xiāng) Dìqū||120,605||15.18|
|Dongfeng (Township) Area||东风(乡)地区||Dōngfēng (Xiāng) Dìqū||86,525||5.30|
|Laiguangying (Township) Area||来广营(乡)地区||Láiguǎngyíng (Xiāng) Dìqū||123,665||31.30|
|Changying (Township) Area||常营(乡)地区||Chángyíng (Xiāng) Dìqū||48,470||11.30|
|Sanjianfang (Township) Area||三间房(乡)地区||Sānjiānfáng (Xiāng) Dìqū||126,183||8.80|
|Guanzhuang (Township) Area||管庄(乡)地区||Guǎnzhuāng (Xiāng) Dìqū||105,407||10.30|
|Jinzhan (Township) Area||金盏(乡)地区||Jīnzhǎn (Xiāng) Dìqū||57,618||44.30|
|Sunhe (Township) Area||孙河(乡)地区||Sūnhé (Xiāng) Dìqū||23,876||26.50|
|Cuigezhuang (Township) Area||崔各庄(乡)地区||Cuīgèzhuāng (Xiāng) Dìqū||101,996||24.40|
|Dongba (Township) Area||东坝(乡)地区||Dōngbà (Xiāng) Dìqū||88,541||24.60|
|Heizhuanghu (Township) Area||黑庄户(乡)地区||Hēizhuānghù (Xiāng) Dìqū||57,257||19.60|
|Dougezhuang (Township) Area||豆各庄(乡)地区||Dòugèzhuāng (Xiāng) Dìqū||32,535||14.10|
|Wangsiying (Township) Area||王四营(乡)地区||Wángsìyíng (Xiāng) Dìqū||84,394||19.30|
Government and infrastructureEdit
In 2017,the regional GDP of the district is 563.55 billion yuan, with GDP per capita at 150.7 thousand yuan.
China National Aviation Holdings Company (parent company of Air China), SOHO China, CITIC Group, Sinopec, Qihoo 360, and Beijing Capital Airlines have their headquarters in Chaoyang District. Renren Inc. has its headquarters on the 23rd floor of the Jing An Center (S: 静安中心, T: 靜安中心, P: Jìng'ān Zhōngxīn) in Chaoyang District.
Foreign, Hong Kong, and Taiwan companiesEdit
According to Chaoyang's official website, the district "is home to more than 60 percent of the foreign business agencies in Beijing, over 3,000 foreign companies, 167 international news agencies, and two-thirds of the 158 of the global top 500 transnational companies that have invested in Beijing." Some of these are:
ABB Group (China headquarters), Air France, All Nippon Airways, (Beijing Office, Beijing Fortune Building) Halliburton, IBM, KBR, Kerr-McGee China Petroleum Ltd. ( an Occidental Petroleum subsidiary), Korean Air (Hyundai Motor Tower (现代汽车大厦 Xiàndài qìchē dàshà)), Kroll Inc., Lummus Technology, a subsidiary of CB&I, Lufthansa (Beijing Lufthansa Center), Asiana Airlines, Standard & Poor's, Swire Group, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, and Qatar Airways.
Beijing Hyundai Motor Company (BHMC, Chinese: S: 北京现代汽车有限公司, T: 北京現代汽車有限公司, P: Běijīng Xiàndài Qìchē Yǒuxiàngōngsī, Korean: 북경현대), a 50–50 joint venture of the Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co. and Hyundai Motor Company, has its sales offices in the Hyundai Motor Tower in Chaoyang District.
Chaoyang serves as Beijing's diplomatic district. All foreign embassies to China are located in the district except for those of Russia and Luxembourg, which are both in Dongcheng. Chaoyang has three embassy areas in the Sanlitun, Chaoyangmenwai, and Liangmahe neighborhoods.
Chaoyang District is one of the fastest growing districts in the Beijing Metropolitan Area. There are several subway lines running through the district. The Beijing Capital Airport, although surrounded by the Shunyi District, is an exclave of Chaoyang District. The municipality as well as the Chinese national government spend almost a half million USD per day on developing this district.
Chaoyang is currently served by thirteen metro lines of the Beijing Subway:
- Line 1 – Yong'anli, Guomao , Dawanglu , Sihui , Sihui East
- Line 2 – Jianguomen , Chaoyangmen
- Line 5 – Lishuiqiao , Lishuiqiao South, Beiyuanlu North, Datunlu East , Huixinxijie Beikou, Huixinxijie Nankou , Hepingxiqiao
- Line 6 – Chaoyangmen , Dongdaqiao, Hujialou , Jintailu , Shilipu, Qingnianlu, Dalianpo, Huangqu, Changying, Caofang
- Line 7 – Jiulongshan , Dajiaoting, Baiziwan, Huagong, Nanlouzizhuang, Happy Valley Scenic Area, Shuanghe, Jiaohuachang
- Line 8 – Lincuiqiao, South Gate of Forest Park, Olympic Green , Olympic Sports Center, Beitucheng , Anhuaqiao
- Line 10 – Jiandemen, Beitucheng , Anzhenmen, Huixinxijie Nankou , Shaoyaoju , Taiyanggong, Sanyuanqiao , Liangmaqiao, Agricultural Exhibition Center, Tuanjiehu, Hujialou , Jintaixizhao, Guomao , Shuangjing, Jinsong, Panjiayuan, Shilihe , Fenzhongsi
- Line 13 – Lishuiqiao , Beiyuan, Wangjing West , Shaoyaoju , Guangximen, Liufang
- Line 14 – Shilihe , Beigongda Ximen, Jiulongshan , Dawanglu , Jintailu , Zaoying, Dongfengbeiqiao, Jiangtai, Wangjing South, Futong, Wangjing , Donghuqu, Laiguangying, Shangezhuang
- Line 15 – Olympic Green , Anlilu, Datunlu East , Guanzhuang, Wangjing West , Wangjing , Cuigezhuang, Maquanying, Sunhe
- Capital Airport Express – Sanyuanqiao , (a station in Shunyi), Terminal 2
- Batong line – Sihui , Sihui East , Gaobeidian, Communication University of China, Shuangqiao, Guanzhuang, Baliqiao
- Yizhuang line – Xiaocun, Xiaohongmen
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2012)
Tertiary academic institutionsEdit
- University of International Business and Economics (Beijing)
- Beijing International Studies University
- Communication University of China
- Beijing University of Technology
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
- No.80 High School of Beijing
- Beijing Ritan High School
- High School Attached to Beijing University of Technology
- Beijing No. 17 High School (北京市第十七中学)
- Beijing No. 94 High School (北京市第九十四中学)
- Beijing Chen Jing Lun High School
- Beijing Hepingjie No.1 Middle School (北京市和平街第一中学)
International schools and kindergartensEdit
- Hope International School of Beijing http://www.hopeintlschool.org/[permanent dead link]
- Beijing BISS International School
- Yew Chung International School of Beijing
- Japanese School of Beijing
- Korean International School in Beijing (KISB), in Wangjing
- Harrow International School Beijing 
- Canadian International School of Beijing
- Lycée Français International de Pekin (French school)
- Deutsche Botschaftsschule Peking (German school)
- Pakistan Embassy College Beijing
- Australian International School of Beijing
- Beijing World Youth Academy
- The British School of Beijing Sanlitun Campus and Sanlitun Early Years Campus**
- Star Education Beijing
- The International Montessori School of Beijing Cherry Tree Lane Campus
- Beanstalk International Bilingual School
- Beijing City International School
- International Academy of Beijing Lido Campus and Ya Ao Campus
- Etonkids International Kindergarten
- Beijing Central Business District (Beijing CBD)
- The China World Trade Center
- Beijing Dongyue Temple
- Workers Stadium
- Chaoyang Park
- 798 Art Zone
- Olympic Green
- Bird's Nest
- Water Cube
- Digital Beijing Building
- Olympic Park Observation Tower
- Beijing Capital International Airport
- Yabaolu (Yabao Street)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2010-07-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2010-07-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- These townships are officially classified as subdistricts, but as they coincide with the area of the same name, they are commonly named "areas" (地区)
- 2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：朝阳区 (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Archived from the original on 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Census Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China; Population and Employment Statistics Division of the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China (2012). 中国2010人口普查分乡、镇、街道资料 (1 ed.). Beijing: China Statistics Print. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- Home. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved on October 27, 2010. "Contact us Address: No. 2, Chaoyangmen Nandajie, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100701 Tel:86-10-65961114."
- Home Archived December 6, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Ministry of Culture of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved on December 22, 2010. "Contact us Address: No.10, Chaoyangmen Beidajie, Chaoyang District, Beijing,100020 Tel:86-10-59881114"
- "Regional Yearbook of Beijing,2018"
- "Connect Us." China National Aviation Holdings Company. Retrieved on December 19, 2011. "Address: 25-28/F,Air China Plaza,No.36 Xiaoyun Road,Chaoyang District,Beijing"
- "Contact Us Archived 2012-04-20 at the Wayback Machine." SOHO. Retrieved on August 23, 2012. "11F, Building A, Chaowai SOHO 6B Chaowai Street, Chaoyang District Beijing 100020, China" – Chinese address Archived 2012-08-20 at the Wayback Machine: "地址：北京市朝阳区朝外大街乙6号朝外SOHO A区11层"
- "Contact Us Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." CITIC Group. Retrieved on August 13, 2011. "Address: Chaoyang District, Beijing Xin Yuan Nan Road Building in Beijing on the 6th"
- "Welcome to Sinopec." Sinopec. Retrieved on July 8, 2010. "Address: 22 Chaoyangmen North Street, Chaoyang District,Beijing"
- "Contact Us." Qihoo 360. Retrieved on May 11, 2016. "Address :Building #2, No. 6 Jiuxianqiao Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100015, China"
- "联系方式 Archived 2012-08-01 at the Wayback Machine." Beijing Capital Airlines. Retrieved on August 26, 2012. "北京首都国际机场货运北路3号首都航空大厦"
- "youjidizhi.doc[permanent dead link]." (Archive[permanent dead link]) Beijing Capital Airlines. Retrieved on August 26, 2012. "Address：Capital Airlines Building，No 3，North Cargo Road ,Beijing Capital International Airport"[dead link]
- "Contact Us." Renren Corporate. Retrieved on November 19, 2012. "Renren Inc. Beijing Headquarter 23/F, Jing An Center No.8 North Third Ring Road East Chao Yang District, Beijing" – Chinese: "北京市朝阳区北三环东路8号静安中心23层"
- "Contact Archived 2015-01-09 at the Wayback Machine." Wanda Group. Retrieved on January 4, 2015. "Headquarters Address:Tower B, Wanda Plaza, No. 93 Jianguo Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing" – Chinese address Archived 2015-01-05 at the Wayback Machine: "北京市朝阳区建国路93号万达广场B座"
- "联系我们 Archived 2015-01-03 at the Wayback Machine." Wanda Cinemas. Retrieved on January 3, 2015. "公司地址：北京市朝阳区建国路93号 万达广场B座11层"
- "Contact 联系我们 Archived 2014-04-13 at the Wayback Machine." China Resources Beverage. Retrieved on April 10, 2014. "华北分公司 地址： 北京市朝阳区朝阳路高井财满街2期8号楼1单元1101号"
- "A Sketch of Chaoyang." Chaoyang District. Retrieved on October 27, 2010.
- "Beijing (10 Jiuxianqiao Road)." ABB Group. Retrieved on February 6, 2009.
- "Addresses in China." ABB Group. Retrieved on February 6, 2009.
- "Contact us." Air France China. Retrieved on June 27, 2010.
- "ANA City offices Asia." All Nippon Airways. Retrieved on 13 August 2011. "2nd floor Beijing Fortune Bldg., N200, No.5 Dong San Huan Bei Lu, Chao Yang District, Beijing 100004"
- "Office Location" Halliburton. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "IBM China." IBM. Retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- "Locations." KBR. Retrieved on December 26, 2010. "Kellogg China, Inc. Beijing Liaison Office Unit D Floor 7 Tower A of Gateway Plaza No. 18 Xianguangli, Dangsanhuan Beilu Chao Yang District, P.R. China"
- "公司资料 / 联系信息." Korean Air. Retrieved on August 30, 2011. "China Headquarters Unit 1, 9th Floor, Hyundai Motor Tower No 38, Xiao Yun Road, Chao Yang District, Beijing" – Address in Chinese: "中国总部 北京市朝阳区霄云路38号现代汽车大厦"
- "Office locations Archived 2011-08-10 at the Wayback Machine." Kroll Inc. Retrieved on 14 August 2011. "Beijing Unit 805, Tower 1 China Central Place, No. 81 Jianguo Lu, Chaoyang District Beijing 100025 China"
- "Worldwide Offices Archived January 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine." CB&I. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "City office information." Lufthansa. Retrieved on February 6, 2009.
- "Worldwide Offices China." Asiana Airlines. Retrieved on January 19, 2009.
- "Office Locations Asia." Beijing Suite 1601, 16/F Tower D, Beijing CITC A6 Jianguo Menwai Avenue Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022 "
- "Contact Information JOHN SWIRE & SONS OFFICES." Swire Group. Retrieved on September 12, 2011. "John Swire & Sons (China) Ltd. Room 1706, Capital Mansion 6 Xin Yuan Nan Road Chao Yang District Beijing 100004 China"
- "Our offices Archived 2013-02-13 at the Wayback Machine." Etihad Airways. Retrieved on February 6, 2009.
- "Contact Us Asia Archived February 4, 2009, at the Wayback Machine." EVA Air. Retrieved on February 6, 2009.
- "Beijing Archived 2009-02-27 at the Wayback Machine." Qatar Airways. Retrieved on February 9, 2009.
- "Contact Us." Swire Properties. Retrieved on 12 September 2011. "Address 10/F, Zhong Yu Plaza, No. 6A Gongtibei Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing" and "Address 18 Jiuxianqiao Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing"
- "HYUNDAI SIGNS A DEAL TO BUILD A THIRD PLANT IN CHINA." Hyundai Motor Company. Retrieved on October 20, 2012.
- "联系我们." (Archive, Image, Archive, Image 2, Archive) Beijing Hyundai Motor Company. Retrieved on October 20, 2012. "销售本部地址: 北京市朝阳区霄云路38号现代汽车大厦6层"
- 1 Dingfuzhuang Nan Li, Jianguo Rd 100024
- 1 Dingfuzhuang Dong Jie, Jianguo Rd 100024
- "Home." Beijing BISS International School. Retrieved on June 19, 2013. "No. 17, Area 4, Zhen Xi Li, Chaoyang District, Beijing 1000029,People's Republic of China"
- "Contact Us Archived 2013-09-27 at the Wayback Machine." Yew Chung International School of Beijing. Retrieved on July 19, 2013. "Honglingjin Park, 5 Houbalizhuang, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100025, P.R.C. 中国北京市朝阳区后八里庄5号红领巾公园 100025"
- "ホームページ Archived 2013-01-10 at the Wayback Machine." Japanese School of Beijing. Retrieved on November 10, 2012. "北京市朝陽区将台西路6号"
- "Welcome to Korean International School in Beijing" (Archive) Korean International School in Beijing. Retrieved on January 25, 2014.
- "." Harrow International School Beijing. Retrieved on October 24, 2019.
- "I want information on basic education." City of Beijing International website. Retrieved on November 10, 2012. "Japanese School of Beijing Add: 6 Jiangtai Xilu, Chaoyang District"
- Home page. Deutsche Botschaftsschule Peking. Retrieved on 17 January 2015. "Liangmaqiao Lu 49A – Chaoyang Bezirk, 100125 Peking – Volksrepublik China "
- "Contact Us Archived 2016-11-06 at the Wayback Machine." Pakistan Embassy College Beijing. Retrieved on September 16, 2015. " Pakistan Embassy College Beijing Embassy of Pakistan Compound No. 1, Dong Zhi Men Wai Da Jie, Sanlitun, Chaoyang Distt. Beijing 100600, CHINA."
- "Sanlitun Campus Archived June 18, 2013, at the Wayback Machine." The British School of Beijing. Retrieved on June 20, 2013. "Sanlitun Campus: 5 Xiliujie, Sanlitun Road Chaoyang District Beijing 100027, China 北京英国学校(三里屯小学部)：中国北京市朝阳区三里屯西六街5号, 邮编：100027" and "Sanlitun Early Years Campus: No.7 Beixiaojie, Sanlitun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100027, China"
- ""Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-06. Retrieved 2014-01-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)." Star Education Beijing. Retrieved on January 5, 2014. "北京市朝阳区慈云寺桥东南角住邦2000大厦一号楼A座801"