Today's featured article
Waiting is a 2015 Indian comedy-drama film directed by Anu Menon, released in India on 27 May 2016. Produced by Priti Gupta of Ishka Films and Manish Mundra of Drishyam Films, the film was co-written by Menon and James Ruzicka. It stars Naseeruddin Shah and Kalki Koechlin (pictured) in lead roles, supported by Rajat Kapoor, Suhasini Maniratnam, Arjun Mathur, Ratnabali Bhattacharjee and Rajeev Ravindranathan. Waiting focuses on the relationship between two people from different walks of life who befriend each other in a hospital while taking care of their respective comatose spouses. Neha Parti served as the cinematographer, and singer-songwriter Mikey McCleary composed the score. The film had its world premiere at the Dubai International Film Festival in December 2015, and was also screened at the closing gala of the London Asian Film Festival, where Menon won the Best Director Award. Waiting was well-received by critics, with particular praise for the performances of Koechlin and Shah, and for Menon's direction. (Full article...)
In the news
- Masked gunmen attack a bus convoy of Coptic Christians in Egypt, prompting Egyptian warplanes to strike militant camps in Libya.
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (pictured) declares martial law in Mindanao amidst armed clashes with the Islamist Maute group in Marawi City.
- A suicide bombing after an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena in the United Kingdom kills 22 people and injures more than 100 others.
- In cricket, the Mumbai Indians win the Indian Premier League, defeating the Rising Pune Supergiant in the final.
- Hassan Rouhani is re-elected President of Iran.