Today's featured article
Evita is a 1996 American musical drama film based on the 1976 concept album of the same name produced by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, which also inspired a 1978 musical. The film depicts the life of Eva Perón (pictured), detailing her beginnings, rise to fame, political career and death at the age of 33. Directed by Alan Parker, and written by Parker and Oliver Stone, Evita stars Madonna as Eva, Jonathan Pryce as Eva's husband, Juan Perón, and Antonio Banderas as Ché, an everyman who acts as the film's narrator. After a nationwide release in January 1997, the film grossed over $141 million worldwide. Reviewers praised Madonna's performance, the music, costume designs and cinematography, while criticism was aimed at the pacing and direction. The film earned a number of accolades, including the Academy Award for Best Original Song ("You Must Love Me"), and three Golden Globe Awards, for Best Picture – Comedy or Musical, Best Original Song and Best Actress – Comedy or Musical. (Full article...)
In the news
- American singer and songwriter Aretha Franklin (pictured) dies at the age of 76.
- In Afghanistan, hundreds are killed as the Taliban seize most of the strategic city of Ghazni for 4 days.
- A portion of the Ponte Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa, Italy, collapses, killing at least 39 people.
- NASA's Parker Solar Probe is launched to study the Sun's outer corona.
- In the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen, Saudi armed forces bomb a school bus in Dahyan, killing at least 50 people, including 29 children.