From today's featured article
Dookie is the third studio album by the American rock band Green Day, released on February 1, 1994, by Reprise Records. The band's major label debut, it was recorded in mid-1993 and is heavily based around frontman Billie Joe Armstrong's personal experiences, with themes such as boredom, anxiety, relationships, and sexuality. After several years of grunge's dominance in popular music, the album brought a livelier, more melodic rock sound to the mainstream. Considered one of the defining albums of the 1990s and punk rock in general, Dookie was also pivotal in solidifying the genre's mainstream popularity. The album influenced a new wave of pop-punk bands, such as Blink-182, Sum 41, and Fall Out Boy. Though the band was labeled a sell-out by some of the band's original fans, the record received critical acclaim upon its release and won a Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 1995. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
- ... that Maruxa and Coralia Fandiño Ricart (statues pictured) became famous in Galicia because their bright, colourful outfits contrasted with the social repression of Francoist Spain?
- ... that the growth of Christianity in 20th-century Africa has been termed the "fourth great age of Christian expansion"?
- ... that Augustus Belknap led the first mule-drawn car from Alamo Plaza to San Pedro Springs Park, which developed into the first streetcar line in San Antonio?
- ... that land for a library built for African Americans in Virginia was donated by Pope Pius XII?
- ... that despite knowing of Geno's popularity, Super Mario RPG's co-director wasn't sure why the character was popular?
- ... that the Japanese boy band D-Date promoted a song through a short film in which the audience had to guess who the traitor was?
- ... that Nicki Minaj's song "Big Foot" is a diss track about Megan Thee Stallion?
- ... that Dr. Disaster's office collapsed in an earthquake on this day in 2011?
In the news
- At the British Academy Film Awards, Oppenheimer wins Best Film and six other awards, including Best Actor for Cillian Murphy (pictured).
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny dies in a corrective labor colony near Kharp, at the age of 47.
- In American football, the Kansas City Chiefs defeat the San Francisco 49ers to win the Super Bowl.
- In association football, the Africa Cup of Nations concludes with Ivory Coast defeating Nigeria in the final.
On this day
- 1371 – Robert II became King of Scots as the first monarch of the House of Stewart.
- 1959 – Lee Petty won the first Daytona 500 NASCAR auto race at the Daytona International Speedway (pictured) in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- 1974 – Samuel Byck attempted to hijack an aircraft at Baltimore/Washington International Airport with the intention of crashing it into the White House to assassinate Richard Nixon, but was killed by police.
- 2019 – A group broke into the North Korean embassy in Madrid and stole several mobile telephones and digital storage devices.
Today's featured picture
The spotted dove (Spilopelia chinensis) is a small and somewhat long-tailed bird of the pigeon family, Columbidae, that is a common resident breeding bird across its native range on the Indian subcontinent and in Southeast Asia. The species has been introduced to many parts of the world and feral populations have become established. There are considerable plumage variations across populations within its wide range; for example the populations in India and Sri Lanka are long tailed and buff brown in colour with a white-spotted black collar patch on the back and sides of the neck. This spotted dove was photographed in Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Photograph credit: Charles J. Sharp