Kunming Changshui International Airport
Kunming Changshui International Airport (IATA: KMG, ICAO: ZPPP) is the primary airport serving Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province, China. The airport is located 24.5 km (15.2 mi) northeast of the city center in a graded mountainous area about 2,100 m (6,900 ft) above sea level. The airport opened at 08:00 (UTC+8) on June 28, 2012, replacing the old Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, which will be demolished. As a gateway to Southeast and South Asia, Changshui Airport is a hub for China Eastern Airlines, Kunming Airlines, Lucky Air, Sichuan Airlines and Ruili Airlines.
Façade of the airport terminal
|Operator||Yunnan Airport Group|
|Location||Changshui Village, Guandu District, Kunming|
|Elevation AMSL||2,103 m / 6,900 ft|
CAAC airport chart
The new airport has two runways (versus the single runway at Wujiaba), and handled 37,523,345 passengers in 2015, making it one of the 50 busiest airports in the world by passenger traffic, the first time it earned this distinction. In 2020, it is expected to handle 43 million passengers.
Kunming Changshui International Airport and Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport are the two national gateway hub airports of China.
Construction began in 2009. At the time, the facility was reported to be named the Zheng He International Airport. The very short construction time was marred by two separate incidents. The first occurred on January 3, 2010, when seven construction workers died as an incomplete overpass collapsed. On June 28, 2011, 11 workers were injured when a tunnel that was under construction collapsed. Construction of the airport's main terminal was completed by July 2011.
The main 548,300 m2 (5,902,000 sq ft) terminal of Changshui International Airport is the second largest terminal building in China. The terminal has 66 gates with jet bridges. Total number of 88 gates are available.
Kunming Changshui International Airport now has two runways. East runway is 4500 meters long while west runway is 4000 meters long.
In July 2014, Kunming airport signed an agreement with the aviation data service company VariFlight regarding the Airport Collaborative Decision Making system (A-CDM) installation in order to improve the efficiency of its operations, reduce fuel consumption and other expenses. Kunming airport became the first aviation hub in China to implement such an information system. In 2017, the airport's on-time performance reached 85.3%.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
The airport is also connected to Kunming by a 13 km toll highway, as well as Provincial Road S101.
The airport is the terminus of Line 6 of the Kunming Rail Transit, which opened on the same day as the airport.
There are also several shuttle bus services available from the city centre.
|Year||Passengers||% change||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tons)|
- "Newly-built Kunming Changshui Int'l Airport to be put into operation". 2012-06-08. Archived from the original on 2013-12-05.
- Shi Guanglin (史广林) (25 November 2008). 投资230亿 昆明将拥有国家大型门户枢纽机场 (in Chinese). Chinanews Yunnan. Retrieved 2012-08-05.[permanent dead link]
- "7 dead, 34 injured in SW China overpass collapse". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- 马玉佳. "Kunming airport collapse injures 11". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Main work of terminal project of new Kunming airport to be completed". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- 昆明新机场规划设计创新 (in Chinese). 2010-05-08. Archived from the original on 2012-03-13.
- "飞常准：用科技助力民航高效发展，推动智慧航旅服务升级". Soho. 2018-02-01. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "Batik Air adds Kunming service from Feb 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- 新航季 · 新航线 ① | 东航云南始发新航线即将开启！快来Pick你心仪的目的地！
- 新航季 · 2019夏秋新航线 ① | 启程！探索新旅程！
- 新航季 · 新航线 （一） ▎东航3月25日起执行夏秋航季航班计划！
- 新航线 · 井冈山￥360起 ▎1月18日起，东航新开【昆明-井冈山-上海浦东】航线！
- "Kunming Airlines adds Kunming – Bangkok route form late-Oct 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Kunming Airlines adds Utapao service from July 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Lucky Air adds Chiang Mai service from July 2018 Routesonline. 24 May 2018.
- Liu, Jim (26 April 2019). "Lucky Air plans Kunming – St. Petersburg service from June 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- "Lucky Air schedules Philippines service in June 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Malindo Air adds new Langkawi – China routes from May 2018 Routesonline. 10 May 2018.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Sichuan Airlines adds new Laos route from May 2017". Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Kunming Changshui International Airport Transportation: Shuttle Bus, Taxi". www.travelchinaguide.com. Retrieved 2017-04-02.
- 2012年全国机场吞吐量排名 (in Chinese). Civil Aviation Administration of China. 28 March 2013. Archived from the original on 7 October 2017. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- 2013年民航机场吞吐量排名 (in Chinese). Civil Aviation Administration of China. 24 March 2013. Archived from the original on 25 March 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- 2014年民航机场吞吐量排名 (in Chinese). Civil Aviation Administration of China. 3 April 2015. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Archived copy" 2016年民航机场生产统计公报. CAAC. 24 February 2017. Archived from the original on 23 August 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2019.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" 2017年民航机场生产统计公报 (in Chinese). Civil Aviation Administration of China. 2018-03-07. Archived from the original on 2015-08-23. Retrieved 2018-03-15.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- 2018年民航机场生产统计公报 (in Chinese). Civil Aviation Administration of China. 2019-03-24. Retrieved 2019-03-05.