2023 (MMXXIII) will be a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2023rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 23rd year of the 3rd millennium and the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2020s decade.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2023.|
Predicted and scheduled eventsEdit
- January 1
- January 12 – January 22 – The 2023 Winter Universiade will be held in Lake Placid, New York, United States.
- February 16 – March 4 – WorldPride 2023 is scheduled to be held in Sydney, Australia.
- April 20 – A hybrid solar eclipse will be visible from Indonesia, Australia, and Papua New Guinea, and will be the 52nd solar eclipse of Solar Saros 129.
- May 5 – A penumbral lunar eclipse will be visible in the evening and following morning in Africa, Asia and Australia. It will be the 24th lunar eclipse of Lunar Saros 141.
- June 9 – July 9 – The 2023 AFC Asian Cup is scheduled to be held in China.
- July 10 – August 20 – The 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup is scheduled to occur in Australia and New Zealand.
- July – The 2023 Netball World Cup is scheduled to be held at the International Convention Centre in Cape Town, South Africa.
- August 8 – August 19 – The 2023 Summer World University Games will be held in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- August 25 – September 10 – The 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup is scheduled to occur in the Philippines, Japan, and Indonesia.
- September 8 – October 21 – The 2023 Rugby World Cup is scheduled to occur in France.
- October – November 26 – The 2023 Cricket World Cup is scheduled to occur in India.
- October 14 – An annular solar eclipse will be visible in the Western U.S., Central America, Colombia, and Brazil. It will be the 44th solar eclipse of Solar Saros 134.
- October 20 – November 5 – The 2023 Pan American Games are scheduled to be held in Santiago, Chile.
- October 28 – A partial lunar eclipse will be visible in the evening and the next morning over Europe and most of Africa and Asia. It will be the 11th lunar eclipse of Lunar Saros 146.
- November 12 – Poland is scheduled to hold a parliamentary election for the Parliament of Poland no later than this date.
- December 15 – Spain is scheduled to hold a general election for the Cortes Generales no later than this date.
- December 16 – The 250th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.
- OSIRIS-REx is expected to return with samples from the Asteroid Bennu of the Apollo group.
- The Compact of Free Association with the US for Micronesia and the Marshall Islands expires.
- The European Spallation Source is expected to go into operation in Lund, Sweden.
- Türksat 6A, Turkey's first domestic and national satellite, is planned to be sent to space in cooperation with SpaceX.
- Taiwan's age of majority is to be 18.
- The Philippines is scheduled to fully adopt digital terrestrial television and abandon its analog equivalent.
- Malaysia will hold an election if there is not any plan to reschedule. All parliamentary and state legislative assembly seats (except Sabah) will be contested.
- Sudanese general election will occur as part of its transition to democracy, with a constitutional convention on the electoral system and form of government also scheduled.
- Following approval of the draft by the six EAC states after a year of consultations, the East African Confederation would be established by 2023.
- "International Year of Millets". United Nations. Retrieved February 7, 2021.
- "Özbekistan 1 Ocak 2023'te tamamen Latin alfabesine geçecek" [Uzbekistan to switch to the Latin alphabet on January 1, 2023]. Anadolu Ajansi. February 12, 2021.
- "Four big projects will be completed, reforms will continue in next 3 years". Government of the Republic of Croatia. June 28, 2021.
- "20 April 2023 Total Solar Eclipse".
- "5–6 May 2023 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse".
- "Striking new logo unveiled for FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023".
- "Australia up to host mini rugby World Cup". ESPN.com. January 15, 2021. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- "14 October 2023 — Great American Eclipse (Annular Solar Eclipse)".
- "28–29 October 2023 Partial Lunar Eclipse".
- "OSIRIS-REx Factsheet" (PDF). NASA/Explorers and Heliophysics Projects Division. August 2011.
- "Compacts of Free Association". U.S. Department of the Interior. October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- "Home Page". European Spallation Source. August 11, 2015.
- "Türksat 6A".
- Lin, Sean (August 14, 2020). "Cabinet approves lowering age of majority to 18". Taipei Times. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
- Mariano, Keith Richard D. (February 16, 2017). "Broadcasters commit to digital TV switch by 2023". BusinessWorld.
- Esmael, Maria Lisbet K. (October 7, 2018). "Govt on course to hit 2023 full digital TV transition". The Manila Times.
- "Democracy in Sudan: more work needed". The Africa Report. April 7, 2020. Retrieved April 17, 2020.
- Havyarimana, Moses (January 18, 2020). "Regional experts draft confederation constitution". The EastAfrican. Retrieved February 24, 2020.