2023 (MMXXIII) will be a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2023rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 23rd year of the 3rd millennium, the 23rd year of the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2020s decade.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2023.|
Predicted and scheduled eventsEdit
- January 1 - Books, films, and other works published in 1927 will enter the public domain.
- January 15 – April 15 – Expo 2023 is scheduled to be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- February 19 The 2023 NBA All-Star Game will be held in Salt Lake City, Utah
- April 20 – A hybrid solar eclipse will be visible from Indonesia, Australia, and Papua New Guinea, and will be the 52nd solar eclipse of Solar Saros 129.
- May 5 – A penumbral lunar eclipse will be visible in the evening and following morning in Africa, Asia, and Australia. It will be the 24th lunar eclipse of Lunar Saros 141.
- July 10 – August 20 – 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup is scheduled to occur in Australia and New Zealand
- July The 2023 Netball World Cup will be held on the International Convention Centre in Cape Town, South Africa
- August 25 – September 10 – 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup is scheduled to occur in the Philippines, Japan, and Indonesia.
- September 8 – October 21 – 2023 Rugby World Cup is scheduled to occur in France.
- October – November 26 – 2023 Cricket World Cup is scheduled to occur in India
- October 14 – An annular solar eclipse will be visible in the Western U.S., Central America, Colombia, and Brazil. It will be the 44th solar eclipse of Solar Saros 134.
- October 20 – November 5 2023 Pan American Games will be held in Santiago, Chile
- October 28 – A partial lunar eclipse will be visible in the evening and the next morning over Europe and most of Africa and Asia. It will be the 11th lunar eclipse of Lunar Saros 146.
- OSIRIS-REx is expected to return with samples from the Asteroid Bennu of the Apollo group.
- Kanal İstanbul is expected to be completed.
- London's new £4.1 billion Thames Tideway Scheme will be finished, upgrading the existing Victorian infrastructure.
- The Compact of Free Association with the US for Micronesia and the Marshall Islands expires.
- The European Spallation Source is expected to go into operation in Lund, Sweden.
- "Argentina elected host country of Specialised Expo 2023". Retrieved January 4, 2020.
- "OSIRIS-REx Factsheet" (PDF). NASA/Explorers and Heliophysics Projects Division. August 2011.
- "Better roads, rail travel and new river crossings in spending boost for London | Politics | News | London Evening Standard". London Evening Standard. November 29, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Compacts of Free Association". www.doi.gov. October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- "Home Page". European Spallation Source. August 11, 2015.