President of Montenegro
The president of Montenegro (Montenegrin: predsjednik Crne Gore, предсједник Црне Горе) is the head of state of Montenegro. The current president is Milo Đukanović, who was elected in the first round of the 2018 presidential election with 53.90% of the vote. The official residence of the president is the Blue Palace located in the former royal capital Cetinje.
|President of |
Standard of the president of Montenegro
|Residence||Blue Palace, Cetinje|
|Term length||Five years, renewable once|
|Inaugural holder||Momir Bulatović|
|Formation||23 December 1990|
|Salary||33,440 USD annually|
According to the Constitution of Montenegro, Article 97:
- The President of Montenegro shall be elected for the period of five years.
- The same person may be elected the President of Montenegro in two terms.
- The President of Montenegro shall assume the duty on the date of taking an oath before the Members of the Parliament.
- If the mandate of the President expires during the state of war or the state of emergency, the mandate shall be extended for maximum 90 days after the end of circumstances that have caused that state.
- The President of Montenegro shall not perform any other public duty.
This section is according to the Constitution of Montenegro, Article 95
The president of Montenegro:
- Represents Montenegro in the country and abroad;
- Commands over the Army on the basis of the decisions of the Defense and Security Council;
- Proclaims laws by Ordinance;
- Calls for the elections for the Parliament;
- Proposes to the Parliament: candidate for the prime minister, after consultations with the representatives of the political parties represented in the Parliament; president and judges of the Constitutional Court; protector of human rights and liberties;
- Appoints and revokes ambassadors and heads of other diplomatic missions of Montenegro abroad, at the proposal of the Government and after obtaining the opinion of the Parliamentary Committee responsible for international relations;
- Accepts letters of accreditation and revocation of the foreign diplomats;
- Awards medals and honors of Montenegro;
- Grants amnesty;
- Performs other tasks stipulated by the Constitution or the law.
Performance of DutiesEdit
This section is according to the Constitution of Montenegro, Article 99
In case of cessation of mandate of the president of Montenegro, until the election of the new president, as well as in the case of temporary impediment of the president to discharge his/her duties, the President of the Parliament of Montenegro shall discharge this duty.
Promulgation of LawsEdit
This section is according to the Constitution of Montenegro, Article 94
The president of Montenegro shall proclaim the law within seven days from the day of adoption of the law, that is, within three days if the law has been adopted under a speedy procedure or send the law back to the Parliament for new decision-making process. The President of Montenegro shall proclaim the re-adopted law.
Latest presidential electionEdit
- "Infographic: What are the Monthly Salaries of Presidents in the Region - Sarajevo Times". Sarajevo Times. 25 February 2018.