2024 (MMXXIV) will be a leap year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2024th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 24th year of the 3rd millennium and the 21st century, and the 5th year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled eventsEdit
- January 1
- In the United States, books, films, and other works published in 1928 will enter the public domain, assuming there are no changes made to copyright law.
- Bulgaria is expected to adopt the euro and become the 21st member state of the eurozone.
- January 12 – January 28 – The 2024 European Men's Handball Championship will be held in Germany.
- January 19 – February 2 – The 2024 Winter Youth Olympics will be held in Gangwon, South Korea.
- February 1 – Finland's new president will take office if the election is decided in the first round.
- February 14 – The 2024 Indonesian general election is scheduled to take place.
- March 11 – The next Bitcoin halving is predicted to occur on this date.
- March 17 – The 2024 Russian presidential election is scheduled to take place.
- March 25 – March 2024 lunar eclipse.
- April 8 – A total solar eclipse will be visible in the Central Pacific Ocean, northern Mexico, eastern, southwestern and central United States, southeastern Canada and northern Atlantic Ocean.
- April – Indian general election will be held.
- May 26 – Comet Tempel 1 will pass 0.55 AU from Jupiter and may break apart due to gravitational forces.
- May 27 – If still living and reigning, Queen Elizabeth II will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning monarch in verified history.
- June 14 – July 14 – The UEFA Euro 2024 will be held in Germany.
- July 7 – A general election for Mexico's president will be held.
- July 26 – August 11 – The 2024 Summer Olympics will be held in Paris, France.
- August 28 – September 8 – The 2024 Summer Paralympics will be held also in Paris.
- September 18 – September 2024 lunar eclipse.
- October 2 – Solar eclipse on that day.
- autumn 2024 – 2024 Moldovan presidential elections are scheduled to take place. Incumbent President Maia Sandu will be eligible for re-election.
- October 27 – The 2024 Uruguayan general elections are scheduled to take place. Incumbent President Luis Lacalle Pou will not be eligible for re-election.
- November 5 – The 2024 United States presidential election is scheduled to take place. Incumbent President Joe Biden will be eligible for re-election.
- November – 2024 Romanian presidential elections are scheduled to take place. Incumbent President Klaus Iohannis will not be eligible for re-election.
- "International Year of Camelids". United Nations. Retrieved February 15, 2020.
- "Bulgaria sticks to plan to adopt the euro in 2024 amid coalition squabbles". Reuters. May 27, 2022. Retrieved June 12, 2022.
- "Past, Present, and Future Orbits by Kazuo Kinoshita". Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Wharton, David. "Los Angeles makes deal to host 2028 Summer Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Notre-Dame de Paris finally ready for restoration". France 24. September 18, 2021. Retrieved September 19, 2021.
- "Bill to turn railways agency into public company clears Legislature". Focus Taiwan. Retrieved June 3, 2022.