2024 Summer Paralympics
The 2024 Summer Paralympics (French: Jeux paralympiques d'été de 2024) also known as the 17th Summer Paralympic Games, and commonly known as Paris 2024, are an upcoming major international multi-sport event for athletes with disabilities governed by the International Paralympic Committee, to be held in Paris, France, originally planned from 4 to 15 September 2024 but now likely to be 28 August to 8 September. These games mark the first time Paris will host the Paralympics in its history. The final decision was made by the IOC on 13 September 2017, at their annual conference in Lima, Peru.
|Host city||Paris, France|
|Motto||Made for sharing|
(French: Venez partager)
|Stadium||Stade de France|
As part of a formal agreement between the International Paralympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee first established in 2001, the winner of the bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics must also host the 2024 Summer Paralympics.
Due to concerns over a number of cities withdrawing in the bid process of the 2022 Winter Olympics and 2024 Summer Olympics, a process to award the 2024 and 2028 Games simultaneously to the final two cities in the running to the 2024 Summer Olympics—Los Angeles and Paris—was approved at an Extraordinary IOC Session on 11 July 2017 in Lausanne. Paris was understood to be the preferred host for the 2024 Games. On 31 July 2017, the IOC announced Los Angeles as the sole candidate for the 2028 Games, opening Paris up to be confirmed as hosts for the 2024 Games. Both decisions were ratified at the 131st IOC Session on 13 September 2017.
The emblem for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics (a stylized rendition of Marianne) was unveiled on 21 October 2019 at the Grand Rex. For the first time, a Paralympic Games will share the same emblem as their corresponding Olympics, with no difference or variation. Paris 2024 president Tony Estanguet stated that the decision was intended to reflect the two events sharing a single "ambition", explaining that "in terms of legacy we believe that in this country we need to strengthen the place of sport in the daily life of the people, and whatever the age, whatever the disability or not, you have a place and a role to play in the success of Paris 2024".
- Butler, Nick (7 February 2018). "Paris 2024 to start week earlier than planned after IOC approve date change". insidethegames.biz. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- "Paralympics 2012: London to host 'first truly global Games'". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "IOC Executive Board approve joint awarding plans for 2024 and 2028 Olympics". Inside the Games. 9 June 2017.
- "Paris set to host 2024 Olympics, Los Angeles to be awarded 2028 Games by IOC". ABC News. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Paris 2024 unveil new shared Olympic and Paralympic Games emblem". insidethegames.biz. 21 October 2019. Retrieved 22 October 2019.
- "Channel 4 extends Paralympics commitment with Paris 2024 deal". SportBusiness. 28 August 2020. Retrieved 28 August 2020.
| Summer Paralympics
XVII Paralympic Summer Games (2024)
Los Angeles 2028