2024 (MMXXIV) will be a leap year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2024th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 24th year of the 3rd millennium, the 24th year of the 21st century, and the 5th year of the 2020s decade.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2024.|
Predicted and scheduled eventsEdit
- January 1
- Assuming no further extensions to the term of copyrights become law in the interim, Steamboat Willie and The Gallopin' Gaucho will enter the public domain, as well as other books, films, and other works published in 1928.
- Bulgaria and Croatia are expected to adopt the euro and become the 20th and 21st member states of the Eurozone. This will be the first enlargement of the monetary union since Lithuania's entry in 2015.
- January 12 – January 28, The 2024 European Men's Handball Championship will be held in Germany.
- January 19 – February 2, The 2024 Winter Youth Olympics will be held in Gangwon, South Korea.
- February 1 – Finland's new president will take office if the election is decided in the first round.
- February 18 – The 2024 NBA All-Star Game is scheduled to be held in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- March 11 – The next Bitcoin halving is predicted to occur on this date
- March 17 – The 2024 Russian presidential election is to be held in Russia.
- March 25 – March 2024 lunar eclipse.
- April 8 – A total solar eclipse will be visible in the Central Pacific Ocean, northern Mexico, eastern, southwestern and central US, southeastern Canada and northern Atlantic Ocean.
- May 2 – The next UK general election is scheduled to be held on this date in accordance with the Fixed-term Parliaments Act. It will elect the 59th Parliament of the UK and will be the first general election after Brexit.
- May 26 – Comet 9P/Tempel 1 will pass 0.55 AU from Jupiter and may break apart due to gravitational forces.
- June 14 – July 14 – The UEFA Euro 2024 will be held in Germany.
- July 1 – General Elections for Mexico's president will be held.
- July 26 – August 11 – The 2024 Summer Olympics will be held in Paris, France.
- August 28 – September 8 – The 2024 Summer Paralympics will be held in Paris, France.
- September 18 – September 2024 lunar eclipse.
- October 2 – Solar eclipse of October 2, 2024.
- October – NASA's Orion spacecraft to be launched on the Space Launch System.
- November 5 – The 2024 United States presidential election is scheduled to take place. Incumbent President Joe Biden is most likely to be the Democratic nominee.
- "International Year of Camelids". United Nations. Retrieved February 15, 2020.
- Lee, Timothy B. (January 1, 2019). "Mickey Mouse will be public domain soon—here's what that means". Ars Technica. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Past, Present, and Future Orbits by Kazuo Kinoshita". Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Wharton, David. "Los Angeles makes deal to host 2028 Summer Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 31, 2017.