Khartoum International Airport
Khartoum International Airport
مطار الخرطوم الدولي
|Airport type||Joint (Civil and Military)|
|Hub for||Sudan Airways, Badr Airlines, Tarco Aviation|
|Elevation AMSL||1,265 ft / 386 m|
Khartoum airport is situated in the heart of the capital and serving as the country's main gateway to world. The current facility will be replaced with a new airport 40 kilometers south of the centre of Khartoum. This is planned to have two 4000 metre runways, a passenger terminal of 86,000 square metres and a 300-room international hotel. Construction is to be carried out by China Harbour Engineering Co. (CHEC).
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|EgyptAir Cargo||Cairo, Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Emirates Sky Cargo||Dubai–Al Maktoum|
|Ethiopian Airlines Cargo||Addis Ababa, Liège|
|Qatar Airways Cargo||Doha|
|Turkish Cargo||Istanbul–Atatürk, Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- On 27 August 1952, Vickers Viscount G-AHRF operated by the Ministry of Supply was damaged beyond economic repair when its starboard undercarriage collapsed on landing.
- On 19 July 1983, Douglas C-47A N480F of Chevron Oil crashed shortly after take-off from Khartoum International Airport on a non-scheduled passenger flight. Both engines had failed, probably due to contaminated fuel. All 27 people on board survived.
- Sudan Airways Flight 109: On 10 June 2008, an aircraft operating from Amman, Jordan, landed and went off the end of the runway. The right engine then caught fire and the fire spread rapidly. Preliminary reports stated that around 100 of the 200 passengers had been killed but this was revised to 30 dead with 184 survivors.
- On 30 June 2008, an Ilyushin Il-76 exploded into a fireball on take-off. All 4 crew were killed.
- On 3 October 2018 a Sudan Air Force Antonov An-32 collided with another Sudan Air Force Antonov An-30.
- List of the busiest airports in Africa
- "Construction of the new Khartoum Airport begins in October". Sudan Tribune. 20 February 2006. Archived from the original on 1 August 2006. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- "Sudan to build new international airport near Khartoum". English.peopledaily.com.cn. Archived from the original on 5 May 2008. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- Editor, The (17 July 2013). "The African Aviation Tribune". The African Aviation Tribune. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2014.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- chamwings.com - Where we fly Archived 28 November 2017 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 9 September 2018
- "Eritrean Airlines adds Kano service from May 2019". Archived from the original on 1 May 2019. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- Liu, Jim. "flynas W19 network expansion". Routesonline. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "SalamAir kick-starts Khartoum connection". 23 August 2018.
- "Tarco Aviation adds Khartoum – Doha route from Dec 2019".
- "Flight Schedule". routesonline.com.
- "Tchadia Airlines outlines planned network from Oct 2018". routesonline.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- "Emirates SkyCargo Freighter Operations get ready for DWC move". Emirates SkyCargo. 2 April 2014. Archived from the original on 25 February 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "N480F Accident report". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- "Dozens die in Sudan jet inferno". BBC News. 10 June 2008. Archived from the original on 28 September 2008. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- Accident description at the Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on 26 July 2016.
- "Cargo plane explodes in Khartoum, killing 4 crew". Reuters. 30 June 2008. Archived from the original on 11 January 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2008.
- "BREAKING Two Antonov aircraft have collided on the ground at Khartoum Airport, Sudan". Airlive Contributors. Archived from the original on 3 October 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
Media related to Khartoum International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Khartoum International Airport Co. Ltd. Website
- Accident history for KRT at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for HSSS at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for HSSS at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HSSS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.