Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (Arabic: الشيخ نواف الأحمد الجابر الصباح Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Jābir as-Sabāh, born 25 June 1937) is the Crown Prince of Kuwait and Deputy Commander of the Military of Kuwait. He is a half-brother of the Emir of Kuwait, Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah. Nawaf was nominated as Crown Prince on 7 February 2006 against the tradition of the Al-Sabah family, according to which the offices of Emir and Crown Prince alternate between the Al-Jaber and Al-Salem branches. He is currently the oldest Crown Prince in the world.
|Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
|Crown Prince of Kuwait|
|Reign||29 January 2006 – present|
|Predecessor||Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
|Born||25 June 1937|
Kuwait City, Sheikhdom of Kuwait
|Spouse||Sharifa Sulaiman Al-Jasem|
|Issue||Ahmad, Faisal, Abdullah, Salem and Sheikha|
|Arabic||الشيخ نواف الأحمد الجابر الصباح|
|House||House of Sabah|
|Father||Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah|
Early life and educationEdit
Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was born on 25 June 1937. He is a son of the 10th Ruler of Kuwait, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and eleventh wife, Yamama. After completing his secondary education he enrolled in a university in the United Kingdom.
At age 25, he was appointed as governor of Hawalli on 21 February 1962 and held the post until 19 March 1978. In 1978 he assumed the post of minister of interior and held this post until 26 January 1988 when he was appointed Minister of Defense. Following the liberation of Kuwait, Sheikh Nawaf was appointed as the acting minister of labor and social affairs on 20 April 1991 and held the post until 17 October 1992.
On 16 October 1994, Sheikh Nawaf was appointed as deputy chief of the Kuwait National Guard and held that post until 2003. The same year, Sheikh Nawaf reassumed the post of minister of interior until an Amiri Decree was issued on 16 October 2003 assigning him as first Deputy Prime Ministers of Kuwait and Minister of Interior.
Sheikh Nawaf played a vital role supporting programs that support National unity amongst the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf and Arab countries.
Amongst his notable accomplishments, Sheikh Nawaf is a pillar and highly praised for encouraging, supporting and backing specially the youth; similarly to his early career of responsibility; to serve in all levels of governmental institutions including those of the Kuwait National Guard, the defense, interior and many other constituents.
Crown Prince of the State of KuwaitEdit
With the ascendance of Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah to the leadership of Kuwait on 29 January 2006, an Amiri Decree was issued on 7 February 2006 officially designating Sheikh Nawaf as the Crown Prince of Kuwait.
Sheikh Nawaf married Sharifa Sulaiman Al-Jasem Al-Ghanim, daughter of Sulaiman Al-Jasem Al-Ghanim. They had four sons and a daughter.
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
- 21 February 1962 – 19 March 1978: His Excellency, Governor Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
- 19 March 1978 – 12 July 1986: His Excellency Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah; Minister of Interior.
- 1988–1991: His Excellency Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah; Minister of Defense.
- 16 October 1994 – July 2003: His Excellency Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah; Deputy Commander of Kuwait National Guard.
- 19 July 2003 – 9 February 2006: His Excellency Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior.
- 7 February 2006 – present: His Highness, the Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
Honours and awardsEdit
- Nawaf is appointed Kuwait Crown Prince gulfnews, 8 February 2006
- Royal Ark
- حدث في مثل هذا اليوم في الكويت دخل في 21 فبراير 2009
- Official website of the Kuwaiti Ministry of Interior, (Section Arabic/English Read)
- السيرة الذاتية لسمو الشيخ نواف الاحمد الجابر الصباح، وكالة الأنباء الكويتية كونا – نشر في 7 فبراير 2006، دخل في 11 أبريل 2010
- List of Kuwait Defense Ministers; Knights of the Kuwait Armed Forces(in Arabic)
- Official website of the Kuwaiti National Guard, (Section Arabic Read)
-  Kuwait National Guard Archives, His Highness Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah with His Royal Highness Mutaib bin Abdullah in 2001; Retrieved March 7, 2015
- Kuwait National Guard Archives, His Highness Sheikh Nawaf Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Retrieved March 7, 2015
- "Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah". Global Security. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Boletín Oficial del Estado
- Boletín Oficial de la Nación