Japan, officially Nippon (日本) is an island country in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it lies to the east of China, Korea and Russia. The characters that make up Japan's name mean "sun-origin", which is why Japan is sometimes identified as the "Land of the Rising Sun".
Japan comprises over 3,000 islands, the largest of which are Honshū, Hokkaidō, Kyūshū and Shikoku. Most of the islands are mountainous, many volcanic; for example, Japan’s highest peak, Mount Fuji, is a volcano. Japan has the world's tenth largest population, with about 128 million people. The Greater Tokyo Area, which includes the capital city of Tokyo and several surrounding prefectures, is the largest metropolitan area in the world, with over 30 million residents.
Influence from the outside world followed by long periods of isolation has characterized Japan's history. Since adopting its constitution in 1947, Japan has maintained a unitary constitutional monarchy with an emperor and an elected parliament, the Diet.
A major economic power, Japan has the world's third largest economy by nominal GDP. It is a member of the United Nations, G8, G4, OECD and APEC, with the world's fifth largest defense budget. It is also the world's fourth largest exporter and sixth largest importer and a world leader in technology and machinery.
was an aircraft carrier
built for the Imperial Japanese Navy
during the mid-1930s. The ship's aircraft were employed during the Second Sino-Japanese War
in the late 1930s and supported the Japanese invasion of French Indochina
in mid-1940. During the first months of the Pacific War
, she took part in the attack on Pearl Harbor
, the Battle of Wake Island
, the conquest of the Dutch East Indies
, and the bombing of Darwin, Australia
. In the Battle of Midway
in June 1942, Sōryū
and three other carriers of the First Air Fleet
bombarded American forces on Midway Atoll
, and were attacked by aircraft from the island and the carriers Enterprise
, and Yorktown
. Dive bombers
and set her afire. Japanese destroyers rescued the survivors, but she could not be salvaged and was ordered to be scuttled
to allow her attendant destroyers to be released for further operations. She sank along with the bodies of 711 out of 1,103 officers and enlisted men. The loss of Sōryū
and three other carriers at Midway was a crucial strategic defeat for Japan, leading to the Allies' ultimate victory in the Pacific.
On this day...
- 1197 - Emperor Juntoku (d. 1242)
- 1917 - Joan Fontaine (d. 2013), Japanese-American actress and singer
- 1939 - Susumu Kurobe, actor
- 1948 - Tetsuo Kanno, politician
- 1957 - Chris Peppler, radio personality
- 1960 - Shigeru Muroi, actress
- 1961 - Takaaki Ishibashi, comedian, singer, and actor
- 1966 - Yuri Arbachakov, Russian-Japanese boxer
- 1973 - Ichiro Suzuki, baseball player
- 1985 - Manpei Takagi, actor
- 1985 - Shinpei Takagi, actor
- 1986 - Kenji Ebisawa, actor
- 1986 - Akihiro Sato, footballer
Film and television
Holidays, observances, and anniversaries
||We understand that the sight of hundreds of frozen tuna looks unique and interesting for foreign tourists. But they have to understand the Tsukiji market is a professional place, not an amusement park.
|— Yoshiaki Takagi, deputy director of the Tsukiji fish market
Katsuhiko Nakajima is a Japanese professional wrestler, represented as a freelancer by his mentor Kensuke Sasaki's Kensuke Office dojo and agency. He along with Sasaki and other Kensuke Office graduates currently most frequently wrestle in Pro Wrestling Noah (or simply NOAH), as well as sporadic self-produced independent shows. Prior to that Nakajima participated in All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW), where he is a former AJPW World Junior Heavyweight Champion. Having made his professional debut aged 15, Nakajima has already made a significant impact on puroresu, earning the nickname "Supernova" and facing Hall of Famers such as Kenta Kobashi, Satoru Sayama, Jushin Liger, and Tatsumi Fujinami. He has competed in several notable Japanese promotions, including New Japan Pro Wrestling, AJPW, Pro Wrestling ZERO1, Michinoku Pro, Dragon Gate, and currently, NOAH. He has set several age records over his short career, including being the youngest wrestler to compete in AJPW's Champion's Carnival tournament and the youngest to hold the AJPW Junior Heavyweight Championship. He won the Tokyo Sports Grand Prix "Rookie of the Year" award in 2004 and the Fighting Spirit award in 2005.
In the news
March 7: 9 people die in a helicopter crash in Nagano.
- July 5: FIFA World Cup 2018 Last 16: Brazil, Belgium advance at expense of Mexico, Japan
- July 1: FIFA World Cup 2018 day 12, 13, 14, 15: Iran, Nigeria, Germany, Senegal out of the tournament
- June 27: FIFA World Cup 2018 day eight, nine, ten, eleven: Belgium, England confirm knockout phase qualification; Poland, Costa Rica miss out Last 16
- June 20: FIFA World Cup 2018 day six: Japan, Senegal, Russia win three points
- June 12: Japan's National Diet passes law allowing Emperor Akihito to abdicate within three years
- January 23: Federer beats Nishikori in Australian Open's fourth round
- December 24: Fire engulfs 140 buildings in Itoigawa, Japan
- October 6: Yoshinori Ohsumi wins Nobel Prize for research on autophagy
- October 3: Indonesian authorities investigate after pornographic film screened on billboard in Jakarta
- August 25: North Korea fires balistic missile from submarine
Did you know...
These are all of the Japan-related portals on Wikipedia:
Coordinates: 36°30′N 139°00′E / 36.5°N 139°E