Round and draw datesEdit
|Round||Draw date and time||First leg||Second leg|
|First qualifying round||25 June 2012, 13:30||5 July 2012||12 July 2012|
|Second qualifying round||19 July 2012||26 July 2012|
|Third qualifying round||20 July 2012, 13:30||2 August 2012||9 August 2012|
Matches may also be played on Tuesdays or Wednesdays instead of the regular Thursdays due to scheduling conflicts.
Each tie was played over two legs, with each team playing one leg at home. The team that scored more goals on aggregate over the two legs advanced to the next round. In the event that aggregate score finished level, the away goals rule would be applied, i.e., the team that scored more goals away from home over the two legs advanced. If away goals were also equal, then thirty minutes of extra time would be played, divided into two fifteen-minutes halves. The away goals rule would again be applied after extra time, i.e., if there were goals scored during extra time and the aggregate score was still level, the visiting team would advance by virtue of more away goals scored. If no goals were scored during extra time, the tie would be decided by penalty shootout.
In the draws for each round, teams were seeded based on their 2012 UEFA club coefficients, with the teams divided into seeded and unseeded pots. A seeded team was drawn against an unseeded team, with the order of legs in each tie decided randomly. Due to the limited time between matches, the draws for the second and third qualifying rounds took place before the results of the previous round were known. The seeding in these draws (or in any cases where the results of a tie in the previous round were not known at the time of draw) was carried out under the assumption that the higher-ranked teams of the previous round would advance to this round, which means if a lower-ranked team were to advance, it would simply take the seeding of its defeated opponent. Prior to the draws, UEFA may form "groups" in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee, but they were purely for convenience of the draw and for ensuring that teams from the same association were not drawn against each other, and did not resemble any real groupings in the sense of the competition.
Below were the 168 teams involved in the qualifying phase and play-off round, grouped by their starting rounds (including 14 losing teams from the Champions League third qualifying round which entered the play-off round). The 31 winners of the play-off round qualified for the group stage to join the 7 automatic qualifiers and the 10 losing teams from the Champions League play-off round.
|Key to colours|
|Qualified for the group stage|
First qualifying roundEdit
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4|
|Group 5||Group 6||Group 7|
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Narva Trans||0–71||Inter Baku||0–5||0–2|
|Borac Banja Luka||3–3 (a)||Čelik Nikšić||2–2||1–1|
|FC Santa Coloma||1–4||Osijek||0–1||1–3|
|Differdange 03||6–0||NSÍ Runavík||3–0||3–0|
|Levadia Tallinn||2–2 (a)1||Šiauliai||1–0||1–2|
|Twente||9–0||UE Santa Coloma||6–0||3–0|
|Sūduva Marijampolė||3–3 (a)||Daugava Daugavpils||0–1||3–2|
|Khazar Lankaran||4–2||Nõmme Kalju||2–2||2–0|
|Birkirkara||2–2 (a)||Metalurg Skopje||2–2||0–0|
|Teuta Durrës||1–9||Metalurgi Rustavi||0–3||1–6|
|Olimpija Ljubljana||6–0||Jeunesse Esch||3–0||3–0|
|St. Patrick's Athletic||2–2 (a)||ÍBV||1–0||1–2 (a.e.t.)|
|La Fiorita||0–61||Liepājas Metalurgs||0–2||0–4|
|Bangor City||1–21||Zimbru Chișinău||0–0||1–2|
- Note 1: Order of legs reversed after original draw.
|Report||Hleb 53', 55'
|Khazar Lankaran||2–2||Nõmme Kalju|
E. Puri 70'
|Narva Trans||0–5||Inter Baku|
|Report||Tskhadadze 11', 35'
Hajiyev 76' (pen.)
|Bajrami 10' (pen.), 14' (pen.), 83'
|Joenmäki 5' (pen.)
|Report||J. Bowen 45+1'|
|Juvenal 63' (o.g.)||Report|
|Hult 5', 24', 26' (pen.)
J. Larsson 62'
Z. Peličić 81'
|Sūduva Marijampolė||0–1||Daugava Daugavpils|
|Sabanadze 62'||Report||Bikmaev 82'|
|Jorge Santos 53'
|FC Santa Coloma||0–1||Osijek|
Karamatić 54' (pen.)
|Report||J. Farrugia 20'
Rodolfo Soares 33'
|Twente||6–0||UE Santa Coloma|
|Schilder 28', 29'
Plet 77', 79'
|Olimpija Ljubljana||3–0||Jeunesse Esch|
Vicente 76', 90+3'
|Hanssenbirk 9' (pen.), 33' (pen.)
|Lazok 30'||Report||Blackburn 58'|
|Teuta Durrës||0–3||Metalurgi Rustavi|
Kvaratskhelia 84', 90+2' (pen.)
|La Fiorita||0–2||Liepājas Metalurgs|
|St. Patrick's Athletic||1–0||ÍBV|
|Bangor City||0–0||Zimbru Chișinău|
|Report||Dorsin 19', 76'
|Borac Banja Luka||2–2||Čelik Nikšić|
|Report||Bojić 36' (pen.)
- Note 2: Víkingur Gøta played their home match at Gundadalur, Tórshavn instead of their regular stadium, Serpugerði Stadium, Norðragøta.
- Note 3: Shkëndija played their home match at Milano Arena, Kumanovo instead of their regular stadium, Gradski stadion, Tetovo.
- Note 4: Narva Trans played their home match at Rakvere linnastaadion, Rakvere instead of their regular stadium, Kreenholmi Stadium, Narva.
- Note 5: Renova played their home match at Milano Arena, Kumanovo instead of their regular stadium, Gradski stadion, Tetovo.
- Note 6: Baku played their home match at Dalga Arena, Baku instead of their regular stadium, Tofiq Bahramov Stadium, Baku.
- Note 7: Rudar Pljevlja played their home match at Gradski stadion, Nikšić instead of their regular stadium, Gradski stadion, Pljevlja.
- Note 8: Differdange 03 played their home match at Stade de la Frontière, Esch-sur-Alzette instead of their regular stadium, Stade du Thillenberg, Differdange.
- Note 9: Tirana played their home match at Qemal Stafa Stadium, Tirana instead of their regular stadium, Selman Stërmasi Stadium, Tirana.
- Note 10: EB/Streymur played their home match at Gundadalur, Tórshavn instead of their regular stadium, Við Margáir, Streymnes.
- Note 11: Cefn Druids played their home match at Racecourse Ground, Wrexham instead of their regular stadium, The Rock, Rhosymedre.
Elfsborg won 12–0 on aggregate.
Tirana won 2–0 on aggregate.
|Nõmme Kalju||0–2||Khazar Lankaran|
Khazar Lankaran won 4–2 on aggregate.
Portadown won 2–1 on aggregate.
|Muzhikov 44'||Report||Ślusarski 13'|
Lech Poznań won 3–1 on aggregate.
Ordabasy won 1–0 on aggregate.
|Diop 14'||Report||Mkoyan 11' (o.g.)|
Shirak won 2–1 on aggregate.
|Metalurgi Rustavi||6–1||Teuta Durrës|
|Tekturmanidze 14', 19'
Tatanashvilli 37', 69'
Metalurgi Rustavi won 9–1 on aggregate.
Aktobe won 2–1 on aggregate.
2–2 on aggregate. Metalurg Skopje won on away goals.
|H. Avagyan 67'
3–3 on aggregate. Gandzasar won on away goals.
|Čelik Nikšić||1–1||Borac Banja Luka|
|Milić 54' (o.g.)||Report||Grahovac 58'|
3–3 on aggregate. Čelik Nikšić won on away goals.
|Inter Baku||2–0||Narva Trans|
Inter Baku won 7–0 on aggregate.
|Rimkevičius 40' (pen.)
2–2 on aggregate. Levadia Tallinn won on away goals.
|Daugava Daugavpils||2–3||Sūduva Marijampolė|
|Ibe 52', 54'||Report||Šoblinskas 8'
Rafael Ledesma 45+1', 84'
3–3 on aggregate. Sūduva Marijampolė won on away goals.
|Dzemidovich 49', 56'
Gomel won 10–0 on aggregate.
|Jeunesse Esch||0–3||Olimpija Ljubljana|
Olimpija Ljubljana won 6–0 on aggregate.
|Liepājas Metalurgs||4–0||La Fiorita|
Soloņicins 82' (pen.)
Liepājas Metalurgs won 6–0 on aggregate.
MYPA won 5–0 on aggregate.
|Zimbru Chișinău||2–1||Bangor City|
|Molla 29', 31'||Report||Smyth 44'|
Zimbru Chișinău won 2–1 on aggregate.
Rosenborg won 4–0 on aggregate.
Berisha 90+1' (pen.)
Kalmar FF won 4–1 on aggregate.
|Report||van Gelderen 45'
JJK won 4–3 on aggregate.
|Report||Kanta 51' (pen.)|
Senica won 3–2 on aggregate.
Differdange 03 won 6–0 on aggregate.
|Dias 22', 35'
Farrugia 40', 44'
|Report||Hadžić 13', 27'
Sarajevo won 9–6 on aggregate.
|UE Santa Coloma||0–3||Twente|
|Report||Janssen 19' (pen.)
Twente won 9–0 on aggregate.
|L. Bowen 50' (pen.)||Report||Paananen 59'|
KuPS won 3–2 on aggregate.
FH won 3–1 on aggregate.
Mura 05 won 2–0 on aggregate.
|Osijek||3–1||FC Santa Coloma|
Osijek won 4–1 on aggregate.
|Report||Mihaliov 32' (pen.)|
Dacia Chișinău won 2–0 on aggregate.
|M. B. Radulović 16'||Report||Tatoyan 19'
Zeta won 4–2 on aggregate.
Jančevski 61', 64' (pen.)
Renova won 8–0 on aggregate.
|Kristjánsson 36', 73', 90+3'
Feely 50' (o.g.)
Þór Akureyri won 5–1 on aggregate.
Honvéd won 3–0 on aggregate.
|ÍBV||2–1 (a.e.t.)||St. Patrick's Athletic|
2–2 on aggregate. St. Patrick's Athletic won on away goals.
- Note 12: Grevenmacher played their home match at Stade Jos Nosbaum, Dudelange instead of their regular stadium, Op Flohr Stadion, Grevenmacher.
- Note 13: Nõmme Kalju played their home match at Kadrioru Stadium, Tallinn instead of their regular stadium, Hiiu Stadium, Tallinn.
- Note 14: Ordabasy played their home match at Central Stadium, Almaty instead of their regular stadium, Kazhimukan Munaitpasov Stadium, Shymkent.
- Note 15: Metalurgi Rustavi played their home match at Mikheil Meskhi Stadium, Tbilisi instead of their regular stadium, Poladi Stadium, Rustavi.
- Note 16: Metalurg Skopje played their home match at Milano Arena, Kumanovo instead of their regular stadium, Železarnica Stadium, Skopje.
- Note 17: Gandzasar played their home match at Republican Stadium, Yerevan instead of their regular stadium, Gandzasar Stadium, Kapan.
- Note 18: Čelik Nikšić played their home match at Gradski stadion, Nikšić instead of their regular stadium, Stadion Željezare, Nikšić.
- Note 19: Inter Baku played their home match at Dalga Arena, Baku instead of their regular stadium, Shafa Stadium, Baku.
- Note 20: MYPA played their home match at Lahden Stadion, Lahti instead of their regular stadium, Saviniemi, Myllykoski, Kouvola.
- Note 21: NSÍ Runavík played their home match at Gundadalur, Tórshavn instead of their regular stadium, Runavík Stadium, Runavík.
- Note 22: Mura 05 played their home match at Športni park, Lendava instead of their regular stadium, Fazanerija City Stadium, Murska Sobota, as it did not meet UEFA requirements.
- Note 23: Zeta played their home match at Stadion Pod Goricom, Podgorica instead of their regular stadium, Stadion Trešnjica, Golubovci.
Second qualifying roundEdit
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4|
|Group 5||Group 6||Group 7||Group 8|
- † Winners of the previous round whose identity was not known at the time of the draw (teams in italics defeated a team with a higher coefficient in the previous round, thus effectively taking the coefficient of their opponent in the draw for this round)
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Khazar Lankaran||1–2||Lech Poznań||1–1||0–1|
|Naftan Novopolotsk||6–7||Red Star Belgrade||3–4||3–3|
|Young Boys||1–1 (4–1p)||Zimbru Chișinău||1–0||0–1 (a.e.t.)|
|Lokomotiv Plovdiv||5–7||Vitesse Arnhem||4–4||1–3|
|Metalurh Donetsk||11–2||Čelik Nikšić||7–0||4–2|
|Maccabi Netanya||2–2 (a)||KuPS||1–2||1–0|
|Mladá Boleslav||4–0||Þór Akureyri||3–0||1–0|
|Žalgiris Vilnius||2–6||Admira Wacker Mödling||1–1||1–5|
|Slovan Bratislava||1–1 (a)||Videoton||1–1||0–0|
|Metalurgi Rustavi||1–524||Viktoria Plzeň||1–3||0–2|
|Mura 05||1–1 (a)||CSKA Sofia||0–0||1–1|
|Inter Baku||2–2 (2–4p)||Asteras Tripolis||1–1||1–1 (a.e.t.)|
|Liepājas Metalurgs||3–7||Legia Warsaw||2–2||1–5|
|Shakhtyor Soligorsk||1–1 (a)||Ried||1–1||0–0|
|Spartak Trnava||4–2||Sligo Rovers||3–1||1–1|
|Široki Brijeg||2–3||St. Patrick's Athletic||1–1||1–2 (a.e.t.)|
|Ruch Chorzów||6–1||Metalurg Skopje||3–1||3–0|
|Olimpija Ljubljana||0–1||Tromsø||0–0||0–1 (a.e.t.)|
- Note 24: Order of legs reversed after original draw.
|Khazar Lankaran||1–1||Lech Poznań|
|Subašić 4'||Report||Możdżeń 19'|
|Naftan Novopolotsk||3–4||Red Star Belgrade|
|Hawrushka 47' (pen.), 67'
|Report||Kasalica 9', 69'
Milunović 18', 34'
|Boghiu 16', 51'
|Liepājas Metalurgs||2–2||Legia Warsaw|
Kļava 81' (pen.)
|Lokomotiv Plovdiv||4–4||Vitesse Arnhem|
|Y. Todorov 24'
Lazarov 49', 64'
van Ginkel 31', 77'
|Morozov 82'||Report||Spadacio 45' (pen.)
Toni Calvo 62'
|Metalurgi Rustavi||1–3||Viktoria Plzeň|
|Tatanashvilli 29'||Report||Horváth 14', 59'