Gevorg Ghazaryan (Armenian: Գևորգ Ղազարյան; born 5 April 1988) is an Armenian professional footballer who mainly plays as an attacking midfielder and can also play up front. He plays for the Armenian national team and currently plays in the Cypriot First Division for AEL Limassol. Ghazaryan has participated in 65 international matches, scoring 11 goals since his debut on 14 January 2007. He previously played for Greek Super League clubs Olympiacos and Kerkyra, and earlier for Pyunik F.C. and the youth systems of Pyunik. Ghazaryan is one of the prominent football players of Armenian origin.
|Date of birth||5 April 1988|
|Place of birth||Yerevan, Armenia|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder / Forward|
|2007||→ Banants Yerevan (loan)||11||(6)|
|2013||→ Shakhter Karagandy (loan)||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 September 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 5 September 2019
In the 2004 Armenian Premier League season, Ghazaryan played for the youth team FC Pyunik, performing in the First League. For the next season, he debuted in the senior first team. On 6 July 2005, Ghazaryan came to the Lernagorts Stadium against the same command, replacing in the half-time interval with Aghvan Mkrtchyan. His first goal for the club happened the following season. On 24 May 2006, in a game against Shirak FC, Ghazaryan entered the field at the 55th minute of the match and, after five minutes, scored his first goal. In the same match, he scored his second goal, having issued such a double (the match ended with the score 7–0).
In 2007, Ghazaryan played in Pyunik for the first round of the Armenian Premier League, then went on loan to FC Banants for the interests of the Armenian youth team. In the first game, Ghazaryan scored a hat-trick. Having played in the second round for Banants, he then returned to Pyunik. Every year that progresses, they see the potential and improve their skills. In 2010, Ghazaryan reached a new, higher support height of his experience. This season, he accounted two hat-tricks and scored twice in the 2010 Armenia Cup final. While Ghazaryan played for Pyunik, the club won the 2006 Armenian Premier League, 2007 Armenian Premier League, 2008 Armenian Premier League, 2009 Armenian Premier League and 2010 Armenian Premier League, the 2009 Armenian Cup and 2010 Armenian Cup and the 2006 Armenian Supercup, 2007 Armenian Supercup and 2009 Armenian Supercup.
On 19 July 2012 in the Europa League soccer match against FK Čelik Nikšić, Ghazaryan made his first hat-trick for Metalurh and gave one assist, thus the Ukrainian club won 7–0. Armenian international midfielder Gevorg Ghazaryan on 26 November 2013 signed a two-year contract with FC Shakhter Karagandy, as various sources said. The 25-year-old midfielder was playing on a loan at FC Shakhter Karagandy. The Armenian international moved to the club this summer. Earlier this month FC Shakhter Karagandy won the Cup of Kazakhstan. He was among the key players as his club made Europe remember its name after an unexpected victory over Celtic in the qualifying round of Champions League play-off.
On 15 January 2014, as various sources said, Armenian national squad’s midfielder Gevorg Ghazaryan will join FC Kairat Almaty.The contract will be signed if the sides reach agreement. In January Ghazaryan tried out at Eintracht Braunschweig but the club wanted to sign him free of charge.In December it was reported that Ghazaryan cannot reach a deal with FC Shakhter Karagandy as the club was not ready to pay the previously agreed amount. Eventually, he finished the 2013/14 season with Metalurh Donetsk.
Ghazaryan continued his career in Greek Super League by signing for an undisclosed fee a two-year contract with Greek champions Olympiacos, while according to reports percentage of a possible resale lies to his agent Mino Raiola. On the 30 January 2015, Olympiacos announced the termination of Ghazaryan's contract after half a year at the Piraeus club. It is said that his short stay at the club was ended due to an argument with Spanish coach Míchel, who sacked him from the squad. From Athens, he'd leave for another half a season at Corfu island's PAE Kerkyra.
At his new team, Ghazaryan had the coach's trust and enough playing minutes to prove his value. With one goal and several assists, he was key to the team, except for when he got injured. Injuries and personal motives kept him off the field for some time, but his few games at the island and the solid performances for Armenian national team made Portuguese side C.S. Marítimo purchase his services in July 2015.
Ghazaryan debuted in the Armenia U-21 youth team in the qualifying match against San Marino held on 17 May 2006. In the 63rd minute of the match, the 18-year-old Ghazaryan replaced Armen Tigranyan. This junior match is remembered by many. Having originally won 2–1, it turned out that the Armenian team played an ineligible player. This was followed by regular technical defeat; 0–3. But in the second leg, the youth team won 4–0 and advanced to the next round. One of the goals in the 66th minute was scored by Ghazaryan, opening his account for the youth team goals.
In 2007, he was called up to the senior Armenian national team. In the same year, on 22 August, Ghazaryan debuted in a match against Portugal. This match was a qualifier for UEFA Euro 2008. The match was held in Yerevan Republican Stadium and ended a sensational draw – 1–1. Moreover, the Portuguese team had to recoup. Ghazaryan came off the bench for 58 minutes, replacing Hamlet Mkhitaryan. Ghazaryan scored five goals at the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage. He was only outscored in Group B by teammate Henrikh Mkhitaryan and was among the top goalscorers in the qualifying stage.
- Scores and results list Armenia's goal tally first.
- Armenian Premier League: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Armenian Cup: 2009, 2010
- Armenian Cup Silver Medal: 2006
- Armenian Supercup:2007, 2008, 2010
- Armenian Supercup Silver Medal: 2006, 2009
- Геворг Казарян вошел в десятку лучших бомбардиров Пюника (in Russian). armsport.am. Archived from the original on 20 June 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Գևորգ Ղազարյանը "Փյունիկի" լավագույն տասնյակում (in Armenian). armsport.am. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "КУБАНЬ" ОТПРАВИЛАСЬ В ТУРЦИЮ (in Russian). fckuban.ru. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Первые новички донецкого "Металлурга" (in Russian). metallurg.donetsk.ua. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Gevorg Ghazaryan signs 2-year deal with Shakhter Karagandy". 26 November 2013.
- "Shakhter Karagandy boss: Gevorg Ghazaryan was good in Celtic game". 21 August 2013.
- "Gevorg Ghazaryan will join FC Kairat". 14 January 2014.
- Նոր ռեկորդակիրը Գևորգ Ղազարյանն է (in Armenian). armsport.am. Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Gevorg Ghazaryan". armfootball.tripod.com. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "ARMENIA – PORTUGAL 1 : 1". armfootball.tripod.com. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "EC Qualification". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Դոնեցկի "Մետալուրգը" կտուգանի Գևորգ Ղազարյանին (in Armenian). ARMFOOTBALL.com. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Казарян будет наказан за бросок мячом в мальчика, подающего "снаряды"" (in Russian). soccer.ru. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Sterling-James, Omari". National Football Teams. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- Հայաստանի հավաքականի ֆուտբոլիստների կանայք (ֆոտո) (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Կառլեն Մկրտչյանն ամուսնացել է (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Маркос Пиццелли — лучший игрок "Металлурга" в сентябре" (in Armenian). metallurg.donetsk.ua. Archived from the original on 14 December 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2013.