|Date of birth||15 March 1990|
|Place of birth||Kristiansand, Norway|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|2014–2015||New York Cosmos||38||(8)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Having been an IK Start youth, he later debuted in IK Start's first team squad. He played two games in the Norwegian First Division in 2008. Stokkelien made his debut in the Norwegian Premier League in April 2009 against Aalesunds FK where he was a substitute for Espen Børufsen. In his second game he scored the equalizer goal against Brann in Bergen on the traditional 16 May game.
The 2011 season was struggling for Stokkelien, as he failed to score a single goal and had his own injury concerns that he sustained in a match against Sogndal. He would be out for six to eight weeks. Following a week out, the club would suffer from bad to worse, as they were relegated to Division One.
Stokkelien made his debut in the opening game of the season, as Stabæk drew 0–0 with Aalesunds FK. Stokkelien have struggled to score until on 15 July 2012 when he scored his first goal in a 3–1 loss against Sogndal. Stokkelien continued to struggle to score and earn a first team place, as the club went on to be relegated to Division One.
In 2013 season, Stokkelien continued to fight for the first team and aim for promotion to Tippeligaen. On the last game of the season, he scored his 17th goal, in a 1–1 draw against Bodø/Glimt to send the club to get promoted to the next season. After the match, Stokkelien described this as "the biggest I've ever been with as a footballer. It was absolutely amazing". Unlike his first season, Stokkelien made improvements under manager Petter Belsvik by scoring goals and ended up as the club's top-scorer, as well as the second top-scorer behind Jo Sondre Aas. His performance resulted him to be nominated for Division One Player Of The Year.
New York CosmosEdit
Stokkelien made his debut for the Cosmos on 13 April 2014 against the Atlanta Silverbacks and scored a goal in the team's 4–0 win over the Atlanta Silverbacks.
On 23 August 2014, Stokkelien scored a crucial game-tying goal in the 74th minute of the team's 1–1 draw with league-leading Minnesota United FC. That game started a hot scoring streak for Stokkelien who found the net in four out of five games starting from 23 August, with the Cosmos losing just once during that stretch.
Stokkelien finished the 2014 season with seven goals and four assists in 27 appearances. He also added three goals in three appearances in Cup play (U.S. Open Cup and The Championship). Stokkelien finished the season as the team leader in goals, assists, and games played and was named to the NASL Team of the Week three times (Spring Week 6, Fall Week 8, Fall Week 10).
Stokkelien parted company with New York Cosmos on 14 August 2015.
On 18 August 2015 he signed a contract with his former club Start.
While growing up, Stokkelien says Ole Gunnar Solskjær was his idol. Stokkelien revealed he's planning to study to become a dentist. Due to being a footballer as part of his career, Stokkelien says "I slept about three hours and almost had to go straight from the party to school because I can not get more absences." However, Stokkelien's career as a dentist appear at risk after his uncertain future.
|New York Cosmos||2014||NASL||28||8||2||2||–||30||10|
- "Mads Stokkelien". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). TV2. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- "Mads Stokkelien". nycosmos.com. New York Cosmos. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Mads Stokkelien". Norsk & Internasjonal Fotballstatistikk (in Norwegian). Bergensavisen. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- "Aalesund 1-1 Start". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). TV2. 19 April 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- Audun Roe Grimstad (16 May 2009). "Rett på russefest". Nettavisen (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 20 May 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- Håvard Karlsen (25 May 2009). "Stokkeliens festaften". Fædrelandsvennen (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 26 May 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- "Mads Stokkelien brakk foten" [Mads Stokkelien broke his foot] (in Norwegian). Dagbladet Sporte. 4 July 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Mads Stokkelien til Stabæk" [Mads Stokkelien to Stabæk] (in Norwegian). Dagbladet Sporte. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Mads Stokkelien har signert for Stabæk". stabak.no. 3 February 2012. Archived from the original on 3 February 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Stabæk 0-0 Aalesund" (in Norwegian). altom fotball.no. 25 March 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Sogndal Football 3-1 Stabæk" (in Norwegian). altom fotball.no. 15 July 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Stokkelien misfornøyd med spilletid" [Stokkelien unhappy with playing time] (in Norwegian). Asker og Bærums Budstikke. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Dette er større enn å vinne Tippeligaen" [This is bigger than winning the Premier League] (in Norwegian). Dagbladet Sporte. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Måtte nesten reise rett fra fest til skolen fordi jeg ikke kan få mer fravær" [Having to travel almost straight from the party to school because I can not get more absences] (in Norwegian). Dagbladet Sporte. 4 November 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Heltne Nilsen nominert til årets spiller i 1" [Heltne Nilsen nominated for Player of the Year 1 Division] (in Norwegian). NRK. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Interesse fra utlandet for Stabæks toppscorer" [Interest from abroad Stabæks top scorer] (in Norwegian). Asker og Bærums Budstikke. 21 December 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Derfor venter Stabæk-profilene med å skrive under" [Therefore wait Quotes profiles with signing] (in Norwegian). Asker og Bærums Budstikke. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "MOVERS AND SHAKERS - FEBRUARY 13". NASL News. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "COSMOS AND STOKKELIEN PART WAYS". nycosmos.com/. New York Cosmos. 14 August 2015. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Stokkelien prøver å lære av Solskjær" [Stokkelien trying to learn from Solskjaer] (in Norwegian). Dagbladet Sporte. 12 July 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Sjekk tannlege Stokkelien la boret gå på Budstikkas journalist" [Check dental Stokkelien let the drill go Budstikke journalist] (in Norwegian). Asker og Bærums Budstikke. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Stabæks toppscorer får fotball-nekt av skolen" [Stabæks top scorer gets soccer denial of school] (in Norwegian). Asker og Bærums Budstikke. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "NIFS - Norsk & Internasjonal Fotballstatistikk". nifs.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- Mads Stokkelien at Soccerway