Bořek Dočkal (born 30 September 1988) is a Czech footballer who plays as a midfielder for Sparta Prague. He has previously spent time with Turkish side Konyaspor and Norwegian side Rosenborg. Dočkal represented the Czech Republic at youth international level, and was the captain of the under-21 team, and has later been capped with the senior team.
Bořek Dočkal with Sparta in 2017
|Full name||Bořek Dočkal|
|Date of birth||30 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Městec Králové, Czechoslovakia|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|1995–1998||TJ Bohemia Poděbrady|
|2006–2007||→ SK Kladno (loan)||14||(2)|
|2010–2011||→ Konyaspor (loan)||9||(0)|
|2018||→ Philadelphia Union (loan)||31||(5)|
|2003||Czech Republic U16||2||(0)|
|2004–2005||Czech Republic U17||8||(0)|
|2006–2007||Czech Republic U19||10||(2)|
|2007–2011||Czech Republic U21||17||(6)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 February 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 20 November 2018
Dočkal began his football career in Poděbrady. The midfielder moved to Slavia Praha at the age of 10. Dočkal went through all the youth teams of Slavia and made his debut on the first team against SK Kladno. He scored his first goal for Slavia in his third match against FK Teplice. Dočkal was sent on a loan to Czech First League side Slovan Liberec in winter 2008, where he signed a contract several months later.
In August 2011 Dočkal signed a long term contract with Norwegian side Rosenborg. He contributed with one assist in his first game, where Rosenborg won 3–1 over rivals Molde. During the UEFA Europa League 2012–13, he scored 7 goals in 12 matches (6 goals in 7 games over the course of the preliminary stages), including a dramatic last-minute goal against Kazakh club FC Ordabasy on 26 July 2012, to propel 9-man Rosenborg to a 4–3 aggregate win. After two years with Rosenborg, during which he scored 14 goals in 55 league-matches, Dočkal returned to the Czech Republic in August 2013 signing a three-year contract with Sparta Prague.
In February 2017, Dočkal secured a transfer from Sparta Prague to Henan Jianye competing in the Chinese Super League. The transfer was reported in the range of €8.5 million, among the highest recorded for the Czech top division. Dočkal made 23 starts and scored four goals during the 2017 season.
Loan to Philadelphia UnionEdit
In February 2018, Dočkal signed a loan move with the Philadelphia Union in Major League Soccer as the team's third designated player. After a few matches with his new team, Dočkal's first goal was a game-winner for the Union against D.C. United. Dočkal proved to be successful in Philadelphia, earning the Union's most valuable player for the season and setting the record for most assists for a season, and lead Major League Soccer in assists for the 2018 season.
Return to SpartaEdit
Dočkal was the captain and one of the key players in the Czech U-21 team. He represented the team at the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. Dočkal is the current captain of the Czech Republic national football team.
- Scores and results list Czech Republic's goal tally first.
|1.||14 November 2012||Andrův stadion, Olomouc||Slovakia||3–0||3–0||Friendly|
|2.||15 October 2013||Vasil Levski National Stadium, Sofia||Bulgaria||1–0||1–0||2014 World Cup qualifier|
|3.||9 September 2014||Generali Arena, Prague||Netherlands||1–0||2–1||UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier|
|4.||10 October 2014||Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, Istanbul||Turkey||2–1||2–1||UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier|
|5.||13 October 2014||Astana Arena, Astana||Kazakhstan||1–0||4–2||UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier|
|6.||12 June 2015||Laugardalsvöllur stadium, Reykjavík||Iceland||1–0||1–2||UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier|
- As of match played 21 August 2018
|2006–07||Slavia Prague||Czech First League||6||1||0||0||-||6||1|
|2007–08||SK Kladno (loan)||14||2||0||0||-||14||2|
|2010–11||Konyaspor (loan)||Süper Lig||9||0||0||0||-||9||0|
|Slovan Liberec||Czech First League||13||2||0||0||-||13||2|
|2013–14||Sparta Prague||Czech First League||25||3||8||1||-||33||4|
|2017||Henan Jianye||Chinese Super League||23||4||0||0||-||23||4|
|2018||Philadelphia Union (loan)||Major League Soccer||22||5||3||0||-||7||1|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2009.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Fotbalista Dočkal bude v Konyasporu zatím hostovat" (in Czech). sportovninoviny.cz. 11 July 2010.
- "Bořek Dočkal match log". soccerway.com. November 2012.
- Hoff, Jørgen B. (13 August 2013). "Dockal klar for Sparta Praha" (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Czech Republic midfielder Dockal off to Chinese Super League". USA Today. 25 February 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Bořek Dočkal leaves Sparta". Sparta Prague. 25 February 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Philadelphia Union Acquire Attacking Midfielder Borek Dockal". Philadelphia Union. 28 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Jonathan Tannenwald (28 April 2018). "Borek Dockal scores first Union goal in 3-2 win over D.C. United". philly.com. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Adam Cann (28 November 2018). "Borek Dockal is Philadelphia Union's team MVP". Philadelphia Union. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Alicia Rodriguez (28 October 2018). "Borek Dockal wins 2018 MLS assist title on Decision Day with 18". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Welcome back, Bořek!". AC Sparta Prague. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 28 February 2019.