Atdhe Nuhiu (Albanian pronunciation: [ˈatðɛ nuhiˈu]; born 29 July 1989) is a Kosovo Albanian professional footballer who plays as a forward for English club Sheffield Wednesday and the Kosovo national team.
Nuhiu with Rapid Wien in June 2010
|Full name||Atdhe Nuhiu|
|Date of birth||29 July 1989|
|Place of birth||Pristina, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Ried (loan)||27||(6)|
|2012–2013||→ Eskişehirspor (loan)||28||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:53, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 27 March 2018
On 31 August 2009, on the deadline day, Nuhiu completed a transfer to SV Ried on loan for the 2009–10 season. He scored his first goal for the team on 23 September 2009 in team's 1–1 away draw at Austria Wien, just eleven days after making his debut in a losing effort against SV Mattersburg.
On 8 June 2010, Nuhiu joined fellow Austrian Bundesliga side Rapid Wien on a three-year contract with an option of a further one. His salary was reported to be €1.2 million per season, plus various bonuses depending on his performances. He choose squad number 15, and made his competitive debut on 22 August in the Bundesliga matchday 5 against SV Mattersburg, partnering his patriot Hamdi Salihi in an eventual 2–0 home win. Nuhiu opened his scoring account later on 13 November by scoring a last-minute equaliser against the same opponent, with the match ending 2–2.
Nuhiu signed a three-year contract on a free transfer for Sheffield Wednesday on 25 July 2013. On 3 August 2013, Nuhiu scored on his debut against Queens Park Rangers. Nuhiu also scored in the comprehensive 6–0 win over Leeds United on 11 January 2014. On 1 March 2014 he scored against Middlesbrough from penalty spot in a match finished in the victory 1–0. On 12 April 2014, Nuhiu scored twice to give his team a 3–3 draw against Blackburn Rovers, where he was included in the starting line up and scored respectively the 2nd goal in the 72nd minute and the 3rd in the 5th minute of second-half stoppage time. Nuhiu scored in the next consecutive fixture on 17 April 2014 against Bournemouth finished in the victory 2–4, where Nuhiu scored the opening goal of the match in the 16th minute. He continued his scoring form for another consecutive match, as he scored in the 2–3 home defeat of Sheffield Wednesday against Charlton Athletic on 21 April 2014, where Nuhiu scored a quick goal in the 3rd minute and also gave the assist for the second goal scored by Chris Maguire in the 8th minute.
On 23 August 2014, Nuhiu scored twice in the 2–3 victory against Middlesbrough, helping the team to extended their unbeaten Championship start to four matches. On the last day of the season, Nuihu scored an important stoppage-time equalizer which meant opponents Watford came second and Bournemouth won the league. During this season, Nuhiu was Sheffield Wednesday's top scorer with 11 goals in all competitions.
He has played for the Austria U21 side, however on 10 September 2009 he made declarations to the media that he would not play for Austria, but rather for Albania as it is his dream to play for his own nation. In addition, when he scored two goals against the Albanian U21s in a qualifier match, he refused to celebrate. On that occasion he was wearing red-and-black boots to honor Albania. In an interview in April 2014, Nuhiu declared that it is his only intention to play for Austria, although he admitted that he had been in talks with other associations previously. On 7 November 2014, Nuhiu reiterated his desire to play for Austria, should a call-up arise.
On 18 November 2010, Nuhiu in an interview to the media that the problem with playing for Albania is citizenship, as he has Austrian citizenship and to receive Albanian citizenship he must give it up, as Austria doesn't permit dual citizenship. Media reported that he was called by the coach of Albania, Gianni de Biasi, for the friendly match against Armenia, on 14 August, but De Biasi did not include him in the final call up. However, on 20 August 2013 media reported that Nuhiu has started the procedures to get an Albanian passport in order to be able to represent the senior Albania national team in the future.
On 19 September 2014, Nuhiu returned declaring that he would play for Kosovo, when it was fully recognised by UEFA and FIFA. On 20 September 2016, Muharrem Sahiti, the assistant manager of Kosovo, said that Nuhiu was in Kosovo to complete the procedures of the Kosovo passport. On 4 January 2017, Nuhiu announced that it has received Kosovo citizenship and is ready for the next challenge. On 20 March 2017, he received a call-up from Kosovo for a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Iceland, made his début after being named in the starting line-up and scored his side's only goal during a 2–1 defeat.
|Austria Kärnten||2008–09||Austrian Bundesliga||17||2||2||2||—||19||4|
|Ried (loan)||2009–10||Austrian Bundesliga||27||6||2||0||—||29||6|
|Rapid Wien||2010–11||Austrian Bundesliga||28||5||2||1||8[a]||2||38||8|
|Eskişehirspor (loan)||2012–13||Süper Lig||28||2||8||0||4[a]||1||40||3|
- All appearance(s) in UEFA Europa League
- Four appearances in FA Cup, one appearance in Football League Cup
- One appearance & one goal in FA Cup, three appearances & two goals in Football League Cup
- Two appearances & one goal in FA Cup, four appearances & one goal in Football League Cup
- One appearance in FA Cup, one appearance in Football League Cup
- Five appearances and three goals in FA Cup, two appearances in Football League Cup
- As of 24 March 2017
|1.||24 March 2017||Loro Boriçi Stadium, Shkodër, Albania||1||Iceland||1–2||1–2||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- "ATDHE NUHIU". swfc.co.uk. Sheffield Wednesday. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu kalon tek SV Ried" [Atdhe Nuhiu passes to SV Ried] (in Albanian). Albania Soccer. 31 August 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Nuhiu bën Salihin te Ried, Kapllani s'luan as në kupë" [Nuhiu does Salihi at Ried, Kapllani doens't play even in cup] (in Albanian). Arkiva Lajmeve. 23 September 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Mattersburg vs. Ried3 – 0". Soccerway. 12 September 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Zyrtare: Rapid Viena transferon Atdhe Nuhiun" [Official: Rapid Wien transfers Atdhe Nuhiu] (in Albanian). Telegrafi.com. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Rapid Wien vs. Mattersburg 2 – 0". Soccerway. 22 August 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Mattersburg vs. Rapid Wien 2 – 2". Soccerway. 22 August 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Middlesbrough 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday". BBC Sport. 23 August 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Watford 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday". BBC Sport. 2 May 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Bournemouth promoted as Championship champions with win at Charlton". The Guardian. 2 May 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Pandovski, Fation. "It is my dream to play for Albania" (in Albanian). Albaniasoccer.com. Archived from the original on 25 June 2010. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- Pandovski, Fation. "Atdhe Nuhiu, I didn't celebrate". Archived from the original on 25 June 2010. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- Pandovski, Fation. "Atdhe Nuhiu: Do te luaj me taka "kuq e zi"". Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Ich bin nicht mehr der alte Atdhe Nuhiu" ["I'm not the old Atdhe Nuhiu anymore"]. fussball-imnetz.at (in German). 8 April 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Sheffield Wednesday: Nuhiu sets sights on Austria call-up". Archived from the original on 10 November 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- .:Presheva.com Web Portal:. - Atdhe Nuhiu: Shpresoj të jem së shpejti pjesë e Kombëtares Kuq e zi Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Atdhe Nuhiu: I want to wear in red-and-black and I am in contact with the Albanian Federation Archived 10 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu, nisin procedurat për pasaportë" [Atdhe Nuhiu, the procedures for passport have begun] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Nuhiu: Luaj për Kosovën kur të pranohet në FIFA e UEFA
- "Edhe një supersulmues i thotë po Kosovës [FOTO]". Korneri.net (in Albanian). 20 September 2016.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu pajiset me shtetësi kosovare, gati për sfidën e radhës" (in Albanian). Zëri i Luginës. 4 January 2017.
- "Bunjaki publikoi listën e futbollistëve për ndeshjen kundër Islandës" (in Albanian). Football Federation of Kosovo. 20 March 2017.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu debuton me gol për Kosovën (Video)" (in Albanian). Telegrafi. 24 March 2017.
- "Kosovo - A. Nuhiu - Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu". Soccerbase. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman.
- "Atdhe Nuhiu". EU-Football.info.