Open main menu

User talk:Agathoclea

Contents


Wikipedia:SignaturesQxz-ad18.gif

MSU InterviewEdit

Dear Agathoclea,

My name is Jonathan Obar user:Jaobar, I'm a professor in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University and a Teaching Fellow with the Wikimedia Foundation's Education Program. This semester I've been running a little experiment at MSU, a class where we teach students about becoming Wikipedia administrators. Not a lot is known about your community, and our students (who are fascinated by wiki-culture by the way!) want to learn how you do what you do, and why you do it. A while back I proposed this idea (the class) to the community HERE, where it was met mainly with positive feedback. Anyhow, I'd like my students to speak with a few administrators to get a sense of admin experiences, training, motivations, likes, dislikes, etc. We were wondering if you'd be interested in speaking with one of our students.


So a few things about the interviews:

  • Interviews will last between 15 and 30 minutes.
  • Interviews can be conducted over skype (preferred), IRC or email. (You choose the form of communication based upon your comfort level, time, etc.)
  • All interviews will be completely anonymous, meaning that you (real name and/or pseudonym) will never be identified in any of our materials, unless you give the interviewer permission to do so.
  • All interviews will be completely voluntary. You are under no obligation to say yes to an interview, and can say no and stop or leave the interview at any time.
  • The entire interview process is being overseen by MSU's institutional review board (ethics review). This means that all questions have been approved by the university and all students have been trained how to conduct interviews ethically and properly.


Bottom line is that we really need your help, and would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. If interested, please send me an email at obar@msu.edu (to maintain anonymity) and I will add your name to my offline contact list. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post your name HERE instead.

If you have questions or concerns at any time, feel free to email me at obar@msu.edu. I will be more than happy to speak with you.

Thanks in advance for your help. We have a lot to learn from you.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Obar --Jaobar (talk) 04:08, 14 February 2012 (UTC)

Ralph OffenhouseEdit

I am confused. Please let me know why this article is encyclopaedic. Danflave (talk) 08:10, 8 March 2012 (UTC)

HighBeam Research promotionEdit

Hi! Thanks so much for signing up to assist with the HighBeam Research project. The first step in getting this project started is widespread promotion of the account sign-up opportunity. Anywhere and anyone you can tell will help make sure that no editors miss out. We're keeping track of where the project has been promoted on the promotion page. If you notify people, please add {{done}} after an entry on the promotion page with a [link] to where you did so. Here's a sample text you might use:

  • HighBeam Research--an online, pay-for-use search engine for newspapers, magazines, academic journals, newswires, trade magazines and encyclopedias has agreed to give free, full-access, 1-year accounts for up to 1000 Wikipedia editors to use. HighBeam has access to over 80 million articles from 6,500 publications, most of which are not available for free elsewhere on the internet. Aside from a free 7-day trial (credit card required), access to HighBeam would cost $30 per month or $200 per year for the first year and $300 for subsequent years, so this is a wonderful, free, no-strings-attached opportunity. To qualify, editors must have at least a 1 year-old account with 1000 edits. Please add your name to the WP:HighBeam/Applications account sign-up page if you are interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, comments, concerns, ideas, or otherwise. Awesome to have your help! Ocaasi t | c 17:42, 17 March 2012 (UTC)

Help us develop better software!Edit

Thanks to all of you for commenting on the NOINDEX RfC :). It's always great to be able to field questions like these to the community; it's genuinely the highlight of my work! The NOINDEX idea sprung from our New Page Triage discussion; we're developing a new patrolling interface for new articles, and we want your input like never before :). So if you haven't already seen it, please go there, take a look at the screenshots and mockups and ideas, and add any comments or suggestions you might have to the talkpage. Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 16:45, 30 March 2012 (UTC)

Applications for free, full access, 1-year accounts from HighBeam Research officially openEdit

The applications for 1000 free accounts is now officially open until April 9th. I have the account codes in my email box and we are ready to go. This week's main goal is promotion. Several editors have already done a great job of getting the word out, but there is still time to make sure people don't miss out on the opportunity. Please tell your Wikipedia friends, WikiProjects, non-English Wikipedias, and anywhere else you think people would benefit from knowing. You can record your progress at WP:HighBeam/Promotion where we're keeping track of all of the notifications. Thanks so much for your help! I'll keep you posted. Cheers, Ocaasi t | c 20:47, 3 April 2012 (UTC)

InterwikisEdit

Hi, thanks, yes but these aren't real interwiki links. i.e. these are not links to existant interwiki articles, only notes that a related article exists - for example in Ganga Prasad Pradhan there is no bio article in Newari wp, but there is an article about the Newari newspaper he founded. ‎Normally such notes would, as you correctly say, only be found on the Talk page, however in this case (perhaps naughtily, but with good intent) referencing diagonally. Is there a better way? In ictu oculi (talk) 14:12, 9 April 2012 (UTC)

Ganga Prasad PradhanEdit

  Newari people biography random award
Thanks for that, bit of a fudgy edit on my part In ictu oculi (talk) 16:01, 9 April 2012 (UTC)

Your HighBeam account is ready!Edit

Good news! You now have access to 80 million articles in 6500 publications through HighBeam Research. Here's what you need to know:

  • Your account activation code has been emailed to your Wikipedia email address.
    • Only 407 of 444 codes were successfully delivered; most failed because email was simply not set up (You can set it in Special:Preferences).
    • If you did not receive a code but were on the approved list, add your name to this section and we'll try again.
  • The 1-year, free period begins when you enter the code.
  • To activate your account: 1) Go to http://www.highbeam.com/prof1; 2) You’ll see the first page of a two-page registration. 3) Put in an email address and set up a password. (Use a different email address if you signed up for a free trial previously); 4) Click “Continue” to reach the second page of registration; 5) Input your basic information; 6) Input the activation code; 7) Click “Finish”. Note that the activation codes are one-time use only and are case-sensitive.
  • If you need assistance, email "help at highbeam dot com", and include "HighBeam/Wikipedia" in the subject line. Or go to WP:HighBeam/Support, or ask User:Ocaasi. Please, per HighBeam's request, do not call the toll-free number for assistance with registration.
  • A quick reminder about using the account: 1) try it out; 2) provide original citation information, in addition to linking to a HighBeam article; 3) avoid bare links to non-free HighBeam pages; 4) note "(subscription required)" in the citation, where appropriate
  • HighBeam would love to hear feedback at WP:HighBeam/Experiences
  • Show off your HighBeam access by placing {{User:Ocaasi/highbeam_userbox}} on your userpage
  • When the 1-year period is up, check applications page to see if renewal is possible. We hope it will be.

Thanks for helping make Wikipedia better. Enjoy your research! Cheers, Ocaasi t | c 20:30, 13 April 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Biographies of living personsEdit

  Invitation to diacritics guideline discussion at WT:BLP
Hi, you were one of 100+ Users who has commented on a living person Requested Move featuring diacritics (e.g. the é in Beyoncé Knowles) in the last 30 days. Following closure of Talk:Stephane Huet RM, a tightening of BLP guidelines is proposed. Your contribution is invited to WT:BLP to discuss drafting a proposal for tightening BLP accuracy guidelines for names. In ictu oculi (talk) 00:04, 20 April 2012 (UTC)

Feel free to duplicate this invite on the pages of others who have commented, for or against. In ictu oculi (talk) 00:08, 20 April 2012 (UTC)

Geschwister SchollEdit

Thanks for your input at Talk:Geschwister Scholl last week; although it didn't help. I don't see the point of having a "Requested Move" if the move is going to be made in spite of opposition anyway. Seufz. Jared Preston (talk) 13:47, 23 April 2012 (UTC)

There is a new trend for admins these days to decide by fiat against consensus. Agathoclea (talk) 18:24, 23 April 2012 (UTC)

Wagner categories etc.Edit

Hi, I don't think WP:Wagner existed back then and the Opera Wiki project didn't do article ratings until after a pilot by the Wagner project once it going.--Peter cohen (talk) 19:52, 1 May 2012 (UTC)

United States Senate election in Connecticut, 2012Edit

Hello, Agathoclea! I just wanted to drop a note to let you know why I reverted the WPUS tag on this article: it's already covered by the CT & US Congress projects, but moreover it is a local (CT, not national) election and is therefore not within the scope of WPUS. I am happy to discuss the matter further if you like. Best, Markvs88 (talk) 13:40, 4 May 2012 (UTC)

I did a doublecheck on the scope and it includes regional items and is quite in line with a large number of similar items already tagged for WPUS, but I will leave a notice on the projectpage for input from other members. Agathoclea (talk) 13:45, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
I also checked to see if you are a member of WP:USA and can't find you as a member - you are aware I hope, that Wikiprojects can decide their own scope and an article being within the scope of another project does not preclude it being in another. Agathoclea (talk) 14:01, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
As a point of order, the local project always takes presidence for any article.
Of course I'm not a member of the WPUS, except by their terms that "anyone that edits a WPUS article is automatically a member".
Actually, there is no rule about removing other projects from an article. Yes, really. This has been an ongoing issue with WPUS and other projects and was the flashpoint of the recent Kumioko drama. Best, Markvs88 (talk) 14:15, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
There may not be a written rule thats true but its generally considered uncivil to do it. I also have never heard that the local project automatically takes precedence. I would instead counter that any project can tag any article they feel is in their scope and the projects that tag the article should try to work together to help improve the article rather than fight over who "owns" or "takes precedence" over it. I know I have said that to you at least 4 or 5 times in the past. Kumioko (talk) 14:55, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
You can consider it uncivil, I consider it reversion of overtagging.
Re: local taking presidence. It was posted in one of your myriad conversations to admins during "the late unplesantness", though I don't recall exactly where. I suppose I could dig it up, but I'd have thought you'd have remembered it.
I'd love to not argue over this. It's a colosal waste of time. Just like (and I point this out for the nth time) if I created Wikiproject: Milky Way Galaxy and tagged everything on Wikipeida for it. Yes, you have said it 4 or 5 times. And every time, you've left the discussion in a huff after I've pointed out why I disagree with you. That's why this keeps on coming up. With multiple editors. Best, Markvs88 (talk) 15:24, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
Your continual posts of WP:IDIDNTHEARTHAT aside. This project will never be that big. So far, including every piece of content we have 301, 000. Thats including categories, redirects, files, everything. Articles are like 85, 000. Far less than WPBiography at almost a million articles or even WPMILHIST at about 200, 000 articles so its not nearly as epic as you make it sound. Your continued example about WikiProject MilkyWay Galaxy is just nonsensical hyperbole. Kumioko (talk) 15:38, 4 May 2012 (UTC)

ClueBot III – Arrow Air Flight 1285 ArticleEdit

Thanks for fixing the archive bot. Close to 100% of the time it does work normal and archive correctly. In this case I suppose it didn't work properly and I appreciate you picking up on this and fixing the issue. Adamdaley (talk) 01:33, 19 May 2012 (UTC)

QuestionEdit

Hi. Thanks for commenting. I left you a followup question there. - jc37 14:44, 23 May 2012 (UTC)

And another question. - jc37 15:12, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
and responded again. - jc37 20:04, 23 May 2012 (UTC)

@Grutness:

Request for DeletionEdit

Hi,
Please delete the article ISF Guys. The contest for speedy deletion is in the talk page. Moreover, the article doesn't even need to be discussed for deletion because of the content in there.
Thanks,
tausif(talk) 09:43, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

I deleted it as obvious nn, but still wondering why I was singeled out? If the article gets created a third time pageprotection might be in order. It is linked from a facebook page which might account for the various comments on the talkpage contesting the deletion. Agathoclea (talk) 11:26, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

AWBEdit

Thanks!♦ Dr. Blofeld 16:52, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

gladly. Just noticed a couple of duplicates that happened because I set up the skip wrong. Anyway if there is anything that needs doing let me know. I prefer doing something productive on here. Agathoclea (talk) 16:54, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

AWBingEdit

Thanks Of course I don't mind--there are always thankless tasks to do around here. —Justin (koavf)TCM 18:56, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

Martial GueroultEdit

Hi Agathoclea, If you don't mind I won't comment on a diacritics RM as PBS and MakeSense64 have made complaint at ANI concerning my Talk at WT MOSPN following my restore of this edit. However as regards 90.24.144.229 Discussion Martial Gueroult (différence entre versions) 2008, we have no way of knowing if the anecdote of fr:Maurice de Gandillac from 1975 is correct, nor if the way Ferdinand Alquié (who had acrimonious battles with Gueroult) pronounced the name "Guer'oult" was correct, but going from the Gueroult's own works I'd say that it was - in his introduction to Arthur Schopenhauer Métaphysique de l'amour, métaphysique de la mort 1964 Gueroult omits his accent. Likewise in Hommage a Martial Gueroult 1964 the contributors omit the accent. So why the accent in many sources? Perhaps because there is a well known French family (cf. vicomte Albert Révérend Titres, anoblissements et pairies de la restauration 1814-1830 Volume 3 "Cette famille Guéroult, originaire de Normandie, est d'ancienne noblesse et établit sa filiation suivie depuis Jacques Guéroult ..", hence all the names in fr:Guéroult, and that family also comes from Normandy like Martial Gueroult. It's likely that they're related, since this is an unusual name, but either way it appears that Martial Gueroult differentiated his name from the aristocratic fr:Guéroult family and pronounced it as the IP says Alquié pronounced it, "Guer'oult." I hope this of some use. If was participating in this RM I'd agree with the move based on the 2 sources above. P. T. Aufrette's note of the Amazon covers is also pretty important - he only died in 1976, his daughters will still be receiving royalties and ensure the name is spelled by the publishers the way he preferred. In ictu oculi (talk) 00:00, 2 June 2012 (UTC)

Please see Wikipedia talk:Naming conventions (use English), thanks. In ictu oculi (talk) 12:58, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
Just came from there to see what the new message was. Agathoclea (talk) 13:01, 21 June 2012 (UTC)

MPEEdit

Thank you very much, Agathoclea, for your feedback. I will follow your advice and provide evidence for the article where it is required. This may take some time, but I assure you all the information in the article has a source; please do not make any deletions of unsourced material yet until I´ve finished referencing all the particular facts. Thanks for your understanding in advance! --Bassmachine89 (talk) 18:23, 13 June 2012 (UTC)

  • I have now extended as well as referenced the article as well as possible. Please inform me if it looks OK now, or if I need additional sources. Thanks a lot for helping, Bassmachine89 (talk) 16:26, 14 June 2012 (UTC).

Roland Szabó (Slovak footballer)Edit

Thanks for your message on my talk page. I've made a comment at User talk:Fastily/Archive 5#Roland Szabó (Slovak footballer). I have no particualr interest in this article and no knowledge of the subject, will be happy to leave it to you, if you are inclined to deal with it. JamesBWatson (talk) 12:58, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

Deutschland sucht den Superstar (season 9)Edit

Can you take a look at Deutschland sucht den Superstar (season 9) and rate it from a stub-class to whatever you think it deserves? Could you also check for consistency for wording, grammer, etc? Kingjeff (talk) 21:12, 6 July 2012 (UTC)

BLPsEdit

Hi, thanks for your common sense; FYI. I shouldn't be the only one to implement the result. In ictu oculi (talk) 11:07, 9 July 2012 (UTC)

[4ce993c8] 2012-07-09 11:13:36: Fatal exception of type MWException
hmm, will try again when I have a bit more time. Agathoclea (talk) 11:15, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
Many thanks for doing that, and double checking in the process. I see Talk:Jelena Janković has been page protected. In ictu oculi (talk)

The Mote and the BeamEdit

I have responded to your allegation of "fabricated evidence" at Talk:Sthène. --Old Moonraker (talk) 09:04, 21 July 2012 (UTC)

Edit war/close at Jelena JankovićEdit

As you have been a recent participant in a content dispute regarding diacritics at Jelena Janković, I would ask that you read the close I made earlier today at Talk:Jelena_Janković#Full_protection. The edit war on that particular question of the lead wording is, across a wide range of articles, as I previously stated, not acceptable, and violates WP:EW.

Any further reversions, in either direction on this question on talk and policy pages, will likely be seen as a continuation of that edit war. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. --j⚛e deckertalk 06:50, 23 July 2012 (UTC)

Update: Apologies for the belated notice, related to this, I have started an RfC on the accent/lead question, which you may wish to participate in, at [1]. My previous note was very poorly worded, and was meant to stop reversions on the articles themselves, not discussion, my deepest apologies for any confusion. Thanks! --j⚛e deckertalk 14:45, 25 July 2012 (UTC)

Good catch, that I hadn't reverted back far enough.Edit

Thanks. --j⚛e deckertalk 06:59, 7 August 2012 (UTC)

Emeli SandéEdit

ha, well at least she is an Olympian. FWIW I just came across a couple of mispelled Namibian cricketers and put in a RM. But we're running out of the 0.001% of mispelled BLPs. Would you be so kind, mon vieux, as to stick Talk:Stephane Huet back into WP:RM for a conclusion - seeing as the majority were actually in favour of the French name. It would leave only the well known British beauty Ana Ivanovic as a permanent monument to Anglo xenonymophobia. In ictu oculi (talk) 05:38, 17 August 2012 (UTC)

Hi, thanks for ANI comment but I answering MakeSense64 just generates text-walls. Joy's proposal (while more an exasperated gripe than a formed proposal) at least opens the door to proposing a minimum targeted "stop" ... at least I think. If you see fit to post again maybe you could help with forming/improving that? In ictu oculi (talk) 15:25, 22 August 2012 (UTC)

Moving Burma to Myanmar - ongoing pollEdit

This is to let you know that an ongoing poll is taking place to move Burma to Myanmar. I know this happened just recently but no administrator would close these frequent rm's down, so here we go again. This note is going out to wikipedia members who have participated in Burma/Myanmar name changing polls in the past. It does not include banned members nor those with only ip addresses. Thank you. Fyunck(click) (talk) 05:00, 22 August 2012 (UTC)

Request for your assistance for The Wikipedia LibraryEdit

Hi! You signed up to be a helper at the Highbeam project page. As The Wikipedia Library expands, I am seeking some assistants who can collaborate on project administration by spending a few hours now and then working on a variety of tasks.

Right now I am looking for help on the Questia round 1 signups, reviewing editors' applications to check for edit count (1000), account history (1 year), and current blocks. Note, there is no subjective judgment required, just a factual criteria-check. Here's what you can do:

  1. Sign up for a section of 50 applications at this page
  2. The first check involves using Popups (enabled in Special:Preferences -> click "Gadgets", check the box to enable Popups, then click save).
  3. By hovering over a username on the applications list, Popups will show the edit count, age of account, and whether the editor is blocked on English Wikipedia
  4. If an editor is blocked, list their name at this page
  5. If an editor does not meet the 1-year/1000 editor check using Popups, open their user talk page in a new tab in your browser.
  6. Then, you then need to check if the editor meets the criteria on another Wikipedia language project.
  7. To check global contributions use the Global Contributions surveyor] on toolserver.
  8. Toolserver is a bit slow so I find it helpful to have 3 tabs running simultaneously.
  9. Scroll down to the bottom of the toolserver results to see if 1000 edits or 1-year age of accounted are met at another project. You can also see if the editor is blocked on another project.
  10. If neither Popups nor the Global Contribution Surveyor met the criteria, then list their name at [less than 1000 edits, or less than 1 year old account|this page]
  11. Mark your section {{done}} at this page

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much! -- User:Ocaasi 19:50, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

GavinEdit

Hi, I've responded to your question on the Welsh Wikipedia here. Hwyl, AdamSommerton (talk) 06:26, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

Also found a source, which I've put in this article: cy:Gavin. AdamSommerton (talk) 15:34, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Thank you very much :-) Agathoclea (talk) 18:06, 21 September 2012 (UTC)

AssessmentEdit

Hi. Do you use any tool/program to assess pages to wikiprojects? I am in the middle of improving WP:AWB's tagging system and I would be interested to know which tools are around. -- Magioladitis (talk) 08:32, 30 September 2012 (UTC)

I use a javascript that I rescued when the author abandoned the project when he became disallusioned with the interanl wrangles. It reads the banners from the talkpage and displays the relevant info in a number of dropdownboxes on top of the article together with the option to alter/add the assessment. It could do with updating but serves my purpose well. Check here and search for to reduce name conflict - wikicode of talkpage. a few lines above that it starts and it is pretty selfexplanatory. Agathoclea (talk) 16:43, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
P.S. a few settings are right at the top of the page. Agathoclea (talk) 17:45, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
Thanks! -- Magioladitis (talk) 06:17, 1 October 2012 (UTC)

PreciousEdit

  gnome in Germany and Wales
Thank you for tireless gnomish work around articles of projects Germany and Wales, - you are an awesome Wikipedian! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 12:08, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
thanks - very much appreciated. I needed some cheering up today. Agathoclea (talk) 19:54, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
A year ago, you were the 263rd recipient of my PumpkinSky Prize, --Gerda Arendt (talk) 09:13, 4 October 2013 (UTC)

WikifyEdit

Hi, just to let you know that the Template:Wikify tag has now been deprecated. Please use Template:underlinked or Template:dead end from now on, cheers. Delsion23 (talk) 18:20, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Halle disambiguationEdit

Hi Agathoclea, thanks for you input to Halle, Saxony-Anhalt. You may be interested in a similar discussion at Talk:Halle, North Rhine-Westphalia. --Bermicourt (talk) 19:22, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Peer review/FC Bayern Munich/archive1‎Edit

Would you be interested in doing a peer review for the article? Kingjeff (talk) 02:39, 6 October 2012 (UTC)

A cup of coffee for you!Edit

  How are you doing? ♦ Dr. Blofeld 17:13, 10 October 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for asking :-) Currently looking for a wiki-writing job that comes with car, camera and unlimited library access :-) Agathoclea (talk) 05:43, 11 October 2012 (UTC)

Mmm, I know what you mean...♦ Dr. Blofeld 09:40, 12 October 2012 (UTC)

Your e-mailEdit

Received and responded. Pinging as requested. Regards, Newyorkbrad (talk) 19:00, 24 November 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia Loves Libraries SeattleEdit

Decemmber 8 - Wikipedia Loves Libraries Seattle - You're invited
 
Seattle Public Library
  • Date Saturday, December 8, 2012
  • Time 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
  • Location Seattle Public Library Meeting Room 1 on Level 4, Central Library, 1000 4th Avenue, Seattle WA, 98104
  • Event An editathon on Seattle-related Wikipedia articles with Wikipedia tutorials and Librarian assistance on hand.
  • Hashtag #wikiloveslib or #glamwiki.
  • Registration http://wll-seattle.eventbrite.com or use on-wiki regsistration.

Yours, Maximilianklein (talk) 03:38, 1 December 2012 (UTC)

Some baklava for you!Edit

  Welcome back, hope you had a good Christmas/New Year. In ictu oculi (talk) 07:14, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
So you're alive, happy May Day! In ictu oculi (talk) 09:42, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

Nomination of List of papabili in the 2013 papal conclave for deletionEdit

 

A discussion is taking place as to whether the article List of papabili in the 2013 papal conclave is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/List of papabili in the 2013 papal conclave until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.

Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion template from the top of the article. -- --JamboQueen (talk) 17:00, 18 March 2013 (UTC)

Your input is requestedEdit

Greetings, Agathoclea! If we have not met, I'm AutomaticStrikeout. I've come here to ask you to take part in the survey at User:AutomaticStrikeout/Are admins interested in a RfB?. I am trying to gauge the general level of interest that administrators have in running for cratship, as well as pinpoint the factors that affect that interest level. Your input will be appreciated. Happy editing, AutomaticStrikeout (TCSign AAPT) 01:40, 17 April 2013 (UTC)

Love history & culture? Get involved in WikiProject World Digital Library!Edit

World Digital Library Wikipedia Partnership - We need you!
Hi Agathoclea! I'm the Wikipedian In Residence at the World Digital Library, a project of the Library of Congress and UNESCO. I'm recruiting Wikipedians who are passionate about history & culture to participate in improving Wikipedia using the WDL's vast free online resources. Participants can earn our awesome WDL barnstar and help to disseminate free knowledge from over 100 libraries in 7 different languages. Please sign up to participate here. Thanks for editing Wikipedia and I look forward to working with you! SarahStierch (talk) 23:46, 22 May 2013 (UTC)

RfC part IIEdit

Hi. You participated in RfC on Talk:Frédéric Fontang. Per the advice of closing admin "This result sets no precedent for similar articles. To address the other articles, I would suggest a broadly-worded RfC" I have confirmed the title of the second RfC addressing the other 105 affected articles with the closing admin and that follow on broadly-worded RfC is at Wikipedia:Requests for Comment/Duplicate name in basic ASCII character set. Thank you. In ictu oculi (talk) 03:14, 29 June 2013 (UTC)

Hi, when was that ASCII template you mention deleted? Must have been some years ago? In ictu oculi (talk) 02:11, 4 July 2013 (UTC)
Wikipedia:Templates_for_discussion/Log/2011_December_18#Template:Foreign_character
Wikipedia:Templates_for_deletion/Log/2008_May_22#Template:Foreignchar
Wikipedia:Deletion_review/Log/2008_June_2#Template:Foreignchar
Wikipedia:Templates_for_deletion/Log/2008_June_3
Agathoclea (talk) 12:17, 4 July 2013 (UTC)

Vietnamese provinces; renaming discussionEdit

Hello - I'm contacting you because you participated in the discussion on the proposed renaming of Cà Mau and/or An Giang Province. This is to let you know that a discussion on a number of similar proposed moves is taking place at Talk:Bac Ninh Province. Colonies Chris (talk) 12:30, 10 July 2013 (UTC)

..too late :-) Agathoclea (talk) 12:49, 10 July 2013 (UTC)

Redundant talkback noteEdit

Agathoclea, I responded to your comment on my talk page. I know you're notified, but I thought I should repay your kindness with a hand-typed note. Drmies (talk) 14:25, 17 July 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for July 20Edit

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Meschede, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Enste (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:39, 20 July 2013 (UTC)

your lack of knowledgeEdit

for your information: I am in charge of publications for Mr. Jim Boeven; my contributions are my own words and shall not be removed because you think it might infringe copyrights.in fact, you are hurting Mr. Boevens business by removing vital facts from his wikipedia. You clearly dont know anything about the subject matter in regards to Mr. Boeven - as his management partner, I know certain details about his career that you keep removing from wikipedia so please refrain from changing facts that you certainly should not remove, edit or shorten because of lack of knowledge. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Stokershelby (talkcontribs) 17:59, 23 July 2013 (UTC)

  1. Get evidence that the bio at imdb is in fact authored by yourself.
  2. Then follow the steps outlined in Wikipedia:Requesting copyright permission#Granting us permission to copy material already online Agathoclea (talk) 19:37, 23 July 2013 (UTC)

DYK-Good Article Request for CommentEdit

Welcome to The Wikipedia Adventure!Edit

 
Hi! We're so happy you wanted to play to learn, as a friendly and fun way to get into our community and mission. I think these links might be helpful to you as you get started.
If you have any questions, you can ask me personally. I'm Ocaasi. I'm glad you're with us :) -- Ocaasi leave me a message

Serbian diacritic movesEdit

I was unaware of this policy. My apologies. QatarStarsLeague (talk) 18:21, 1 August 2013 (UTC)

Socks/RMsEdit

Hi, the "RM Incubator" saga was all about "winning" RMs by any means, but unfortunately I'd think that bogus arguments in RMs are too subjective and peanuts compared to documented recent behaviour. In the meantime, trying to repair the damage to WP VN's article stock and getting pissed off Vietnamese editors to come back seems like a worthwile effort. I don't really understand the difference between indefinite block and ban. In ictu oculi (talk) 07:55, 13 August 2013 (UTC)

The difference is that edits of a banned user can be reverted unseen. Agathoclea (talk) 08:18, 13 August 2013 (UTC)
Ahah, I didn't know that. Then yes, if you proceed this please inform me, I would support. In ictu oculi (talk) 16:59, 13 August 2013 (UTC)
Actually I checked in the mean time and indefinete blocks get handeled the same, so there is no rush. Difference being is that any admin could come along and unblock, which would not be the case in a banning. Agathoclea (talk) 17:02, 13 August 2013 (UTC)

RfC relating to Vietnamese geo article titlesEdit

Since you participated in either the previous RfC or in a recent related RM you may wish to be informed of Talk:Gia Bình District#RfC: Should non-exonym Vietnam geo article titles have Vietnamese alphabet spellings?. Thank you. In ictu oculi (talk) 11:40, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

The Wikipedia LibraryEdit

Hey! I've done a major redesign of The Wikipedia Library portal. As one of our original volunteers, I'd love you to check it out, pick a role, create a profile to share your story and skills, sign up for the newsletter, and see how you can get involved. I'd also be interested in having a skype chat with you in the next few weeks to see how we can best put your energy to use (or email if that's better for you). Hope you're doing well, Ocaasi t | c 13:25, 28 August 2013 (UTC)

SickEdit

Please follow the link on top of my user, it's too late for help, but not for support, --Gerda Arendt (talk) 13:51, 28 August 2013 (UTC)

I am following what is going on there. I have to think what I can write there that Mackensen has not yet written. Anyway when this is over WP:OWN needs a total overhaul to reflect the changes in practice introduced by ARBCOM. Agathoclea (talk) 16:07, 28 August 2013 (UTC)

Edit war in Greece-Italy relationsEdit

Hello, a user is doing edit wars in the article about Greece–Italy relations article and I have been reverting his edits (since they are not backed with sources or reasonable explanations that justify his edits) and I called him stop the edits and discuss the matter in the article's Talk page and get into a consensus, with all the sources and explanations needed for the approval of the edit to the article. But the user is eager to impose his edits despite our discussion being in progress, and thus, keeps doing edits on the page. I tried to be reasonable and suggested him to avoid edit-revert wars and discuss the matter in the article's talk page and of course give other people (besides me and him) the time to express their own opinion about the matter. But he is keep doing the changes and so I think it could be best if can a third person, such as an administrator like you, give a look to the matter? I can't keep reverting his edits forever... For more info about the dispute, I created a section in the article's talk page --SilentResident (talk) 03:52, 30 August 2013 (UTC)

New Wales Coast Path WikiProjectEdit

I see you're a member of WikiProject Wales and have contributed to Welsh articles. There's a new project, Llwybrau Byw!|Living Paths! under development which you might be able to contribute to. Lonely Planet rated the coast of Wales "the best region on Earth" in 2012, yet there is a very low number of articles on the history and culture of places along the Coastal Path and the many and various activities and attractions. This promises to be an exciting project as it gathers momentum with many Users joining in. Let's make this WikiProject, like the path itself, the best on earth! Cymrodor (talk) 08:24, 10 September 2013 (UTC)

TalkbackEdit

Hello, Agathoclea. You have new messages at Template talk:WikiProject Oklahoma.
Message added 19:46, 9 October 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Dcheagletalkcontribs 19:46, 9 October 2013 (UTC)

Discussion of interestEdit

A discussion you may be interested in is this RFC, a proposal to make the second comma in a date/place optional. United States Man (talk) 06:08, 27 October 2013 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library SurveyEdit

As a subscriber to one of The Wikipedia Library's programs, we'd like to hear your thoughts about future donations and project activities in this brief survey. Thanks and cheers, Ocaasi t | c 15:18, 9 December 2013 (UTC)

Speedy deletion nomination of Run Sheldon & TouchMailEdit

I need your help on activities of new user, who is nominating speedy page deletion of two pages that are notable TouchMail and Run Sheldon. Can you please look into this and do needful. Anishwiki12 (talk) 08:44, 28 December 2013 (UTC)

Low importanceEdit

I smiled about "low importance" for Wolfgang Rösch, a man whose boss is the pope ;) - Did you see the Reuters photo? - Thank you for your translation of "awesomely weird" (context)! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 22:08, 14 January 2014 (UTC)

Thanks :-) I think there is a WP dealing with the Catholic faith. I have not had time to look it up though. He should get a higher importance rating there I think. Agathoclea (talk) 22:14, 14 January 2014 (UTC)
I only smiled, I mean it. - I looked at other Vicar generals and their fancy titles ... - what's Demut in English? That's what he stands for. (I was one of 140 singing in the farewell service.) --Gerda Arendt (talk) 22:25, 14 January 2014 (UTC)
Humility is what you are looking for. That explains your interest in Bach cantatas. Agathoclea (talk) 22:30, 14 January 2014 (UTC)

A kitten for you!Edit

I see you have not edited much this month. I hope you are all right - I am sending you this wiki-kitten to make sure :) Cheers,

Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| reply here 17:47, 10 February 2014 (UTC)

Thanks - much appreciated. Real life is catching up with me and time and more importantly time to concentrate is lacking. But I can't keep away :-) Agathoclea (talk) 09:34, 11 February 2014 (UTC)

WP Germany in the SignpostEdit

The WikiProject Report would like to focus on WikiProject Germany for a Signpost article. This is an excellent opportunity to draw attention to your efforts and attract new members to the project. Would you be willing to participate in an interview? If so, here are the questions for the interview. Just add your response below each question and feel free to skip any questions that you don't feel comfortable answering. Multiple editors will have an opportunity to respond to the interview questions, so be sure to sign your answers. If you know anyone else who would like to participate in the interview, please share this with them. Have a great day. –Mabeenot (talk) 02:32, 24 March 2014 (UTC)

NRHP commonscatEdit

What is the purpose of adding the "commonscat" parameter to {{NRHP row}}, as you did in this edit? "Commonscat" is not a parameter recognized by the template. Is there a place where this action has been discussed? I've looked for a discussion, but can't find one. — Ipoellet (talk) 19:53, 5 April 2014 (UTC)

To be honest I have not even checked, as all the other listed building templates I have been working on have included that parameter. It is supposed to add a small link below the image to more pictures. See usage in Grade II* listed buildings in West Oxfordshire as an example. There is actually a bot producing the list for those to be included at Wikipedia:WikiProject National Register of Historic Places/Missing commons category links and as far as I read Wikipedia talk:WikiProject National Register of Historic Places/Archive 57 the idea was welcomed at the time as a good idea. But obviously not implemented. Maybe something to revisit, especially as this format is in use accross several projects and different language editions. Agathoclea (talk) 20:07, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
@Ipoellet: I just moved the discussion to Template talk:NRHP row#Commonscat for further input. Agathoclea (talk) 20:27, 5 April 2014 (UTC)

Sorry for the interruptionEdit

Sorry I interrupted your using the commonscat script just now; I figured it was late enough no one would be using it (almost 1 am here for me, but then again I'm not sure where you are). I was expanding the script to be able to download not only the commonscat names to match but also the files in the categories, of which there are many more, making the download time much longer. I did eventually get the download to work, but I did not get as far as checking for matching images and adding them in. I will eventually get to that point, hopefully. I reverted these changes to the script for the time being to skip downloading the file data and make it faster to just add links, and I will un-revert later when I get time to fully expand the code. Sorry again, but thanks for being patient!--Dudemanfellabra (talk) 05:45, 12 May 2014 (UTC)

Request for commentEdit

Hello there, a proposal regarding pre-adminship review has been raised at Village pump by Anna Frodesiak. Your comments here is very much appreciated. Many thanks. Jim Carter through MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:46, 28 May 2014 (UTC)

Speedy deletion of minor islandsEdit

I haven't recommended articles for speedy deletion before, but did four this morning, which you removed. Grateful for your advice - did I give the wrong reason, or do you think think the articles should not be deleted? Meini Duon, Ynys Eilun, Ynys Cantwr, Trwynmynachdy. Cheers...Tony Holkham (talk) 11:06, 4 June 2014 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library: New Account Coordinators NeededEdit

Hi Books & Bytes recipients: The Wikipedia Library has been expanding rapidly and we need some help! We currently have 10 signups for free account access open and several more in the works... In order to help with those signups, distribute access codes, and manage accounts we'll need 2-3 more Account Coordinators.

It takes about an hour to get up and running and then only takes a couple hours per week, flexible depending upon your schedule and routine. If you're interested in helping out, please drop a note in the next week at my talk page or shoot me an email at: jorlowitz gmail.com. Thanks and cheers, Jake Ocaasi via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:41, 20 June 2014 (UTC)

LiloaEdit

I wanted to check back with you on the article I recently created as a stub to see if you had further concerns and If I can continue expanding or if you felt the article needs to be deleted. No sure how you were wishing to proceed.--Mark Miller (talk) 20:04, 23 June 2014 (UTC)

@Mark Miller: I have no concerns. The reason why the previous article had been deleted is now explained and it is better to expand from scratch than work from a possible copyvio. If sources are divided about the historicity of Liola then that thought could be explored in an expanded version. Agathoclea (talk) 10:22, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
I believe the exploration of the historicity may well be a good topic. In the Umi-a-Liloa article it states "While there is probably embellishment to the story, as many sagas do, a portion of historic accuracy remains." and is sourced to Martha Warren Beckwith in her book Hawaiian Mythology (1976). There must be some academic discussion of this. But the figures themselves are considered to be real people and that their recorded oral, genealogy chants are accurate enough to gauge to the first waves of peoples coming in from Polanysia. Kalakua touches on the differences between the Hawaii island genealogies and the Maui island genealogies and a conference to establish to research a single genealogy line that became known as the Ulu genealogy. These are the genealogy lines of Umi, Liloa and others and go much farther back. The subjects were actually famed enough as kings to have their remains kept. We still know the location and have opened the casket of what they believe is either Umi or Liloa and found artifacts that could be dated to a specific period. A lot of this needs to be expanded on in the Umi article. There are some nice public domain images of the woven basket for the bones. These were taken from the old temple in Waipio when Ka'ahumanu began the breaking of the old Kapu.--Mark Miller (talk) 18:42, 24 June 2014 (UTC)

Wrong "semi-automated" picEdit

Hi. An image is being repeatedly added in error to Grade I listed buildings in Exeter - you are one of the users concerned. Please see Talk:Grade I listed buildings in Exeter#Wrong pic for Presentation of St Mary Convent School, and could one of you stop this semi-automated process from doing it again? Thanks very much - Aegoceras (talk) 10:23, 16 July 2014 (UTC)

Wow, you replied on the talk page before I even notified you here. Thanks. Aegoceras (talk) 10:46, 16 July 2014 (UTC)

CommonsCat script in GermanEdit

I spent some time today trying to adapt the commonscat script to get it ready for compatibility with other language wikis. I basically created a giant object at the top of the script which I plan to expand with all the different languages (and may eventually move out to a separate location as you previously suggested). I also made the GUI translatable in the same way and made it default to English when the user's preferred language is not present (along with a link to my user talk page asking for help translating). All that remains now is to add in the different registers and GUI translations, and I think it should be set.

Since you remarked that you were interested in using the script on monuments in Bavaria, I attempted to add compatibility for that register as a test case. In order to do so, I had to edit de:Vorlage:Denkmalliste Bayern Tabellenzeile to include a class on the table row, which the script looks for. I have never edited de-wiki before, though, so it looks like my edit has gone into pending changes. The script won't work until that goes through, so if you have those rights, maybe you could approve it? In order to make the script work on de-wiki, you should add

mw.loader.load('//en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Dudemanfellabra/AddCommonsCatLinks.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript','text/javascript')

to your javascript and make sure to purge any page on which the row template is used to make sure that class is added. If it works for you, I can begin to add support for all the other registers supported by ErfgoedBot. If you run into any errors, could you let me know? Thanks!--Dudemanfellabra (talk) 10:17, 19 July 2014 (UTC)

Muahahahahahahaha! It liiiiives!!! I had to do a little bit of tinkering with some stuff, but I finally got it working. Now to add the rest of the registers!--Dudemanfellabra (talk) 12:38, 19 July 2014 (UTC)

Precious anniversaryEdit

gnome in Germany and Wales
Thank you for tireless gnomish work around articles of projects Germany and Wales, - you are an awesome Wikipedian!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 12:08, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Two years ago, you were the 263rd recipient of my PumpkinSky Prize, repeated in br'erly style, --Gerda Arendt (talk) 06:05, 4 October 2014 (UTC)

Thank you, much appreciated. Agathoclea (talk) 15:51, 8 October 2014 (UTC)

Four years ago, you were recipient no. 263 of Precious, a prize of QAI! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 05:32, 4 October 2016 (UTC)

Five years now! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 06:59, 4 October 2017 (UTC)

Thanks. Somehow I get the feeling age catches up with me. Agathoclea (talk) 07:03, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
That's not exactly what I want to make you think ;) - Believe it or not, I have turned to the German Wikipedia more, including Der Messias and other music we sang, and places I saw (took the pic which the Germans straightened, of course). --Gerda Arendt (talk) 07:08, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
Yes, the having things lined up exactly ploy. Strangely enough I am getting more involved on deWiki myself. Agathoclea (talk) 07:11, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
Anyway, six years now for German-English exchange ;) - On the Main page something Austrian, - I happened to be in walking distance from the theatre when I wrote the article ;) --Gerda Arendt (talk) 06:14, 4 October 2018 (UTC)
Seven years now! Der Ring, my first! And some more articles in German, relatives even, but distant ;) --Gerda Arendt (talk) 10:20, 4 October 2019 (UTC)

About Liloa and KAVEBEAREdit

Hi Agathoclea, you may remember last June when you dropped me a line about a deleted article Liloa[2] that had been moved into a user draft and then deleted I believe from KAVEBEAR. You notified me because the created article had been previously deleted by the author/editor and showed up on your radar somehow and you were just letting me know there was a previous version with an unknown reasoning for deletion. According to KAVEBEAR it was due to copyright issues from his early editing days on Wikipedia and he didn't believe the subject was actually a real person and wrote the article as if they were a historical figure.--Mark Miller (talk) 23:04, 15 December 2014 (UTC)

I was a little uncomfortable about the declaration that the article was deleted because Liloa is not a real figure. After that, I didn't know how to proceed because if I wrote the article as if they were a real person (which the mainstream academics seem to do taking all of the legends with a grain of salt, but all concluding that Liloa, Hakau and Umi-a-Liloa were real people and that their caskets were preserved for hundreds of years, along with royal feathered regalia from Kamehameha that was passed down from Liloa and confirmed to be from the period Liloa and Umi would have ruled) I would have surely encountered aggressive resistance as demonstrated by the editors past behavior with me and now reinforced with more recent behavior. I actually believe that KAVEBEAR made that statement as a challenge to almost defying me to go that route after declaring it the reason they deleted their version. We actually have an article on Wikipedia: Liloa's Kāʻei that demonstrates that the KAVEBEAR has already created a similar article and treated the subject as a historic figure as this is the mainstream academic opinion of Hawaiian historians in reliable sources for both the feathered sash and the historic figures.

The reason I wanted to post here was because I had initially decided not to make a big deal out of this, but I knew that there was already an article on the sash of Liloa, but didn't bother to look to see who created it. When I noticed back then when I checked I got very confused because here KAVEBEAR is saying he deleted the article because he treated the figure as a real person, which was arguing against the actual treatment he was giving the figure on another article. I have had enough of a problem with KAVEBEAR over his opinion of how articles should be done that I, very much was discouraged from doing anything further on the article. A quick look at the talk pages for Talk:Charles Kanaina, Talk:Pa'u riders and talk:Levi Haʻalelea will certainly demonstrate that KAVEBEAR challenges my edits in a very aggressive manner, disrupting my work on several occasions with ownership like issues, questioning almost every edit or move I make and basically bullying and bulldozing his way into the articles using the worst tactics to achieve what he wants. Two of those articles I had created where KAVEBEAR did indeed bully his way into trying to move the Pa'u riders article to a more complicated spelling that changes the pronunciation drastically. The dispute there became so disruptive that a non admin closed the move request (that had bad faith beginnings) just to shut us both up and didn't even go by the no consensus outcome of the discussion that two others noted and moved the article using to apostrophe. This got changed back recently with discussion and consensus that the apostrophe was acceptable here and the MOS Hawaii should be ignored in this instance as the most common spelling is not using an okina and this word is extensively used today without the okina but using the apostrophe for the proper way to say the word. But just keeping the article title was delayed and disrupted for moths due to KAVEBEAR.

This is why Liloa remains my only a two sentence stub I have yet to expand to at least start class. I know all that will happen is a long and bitter argument on the talk page and back and forth treatments of whether the subject is real or not. Frankly that is very offensive to me as both a Hawaiian and a descendent of many of these figures. I only discovered all of the information I know now within the past year and been doing a ton of research on Hawaiian History and genealogy of the Hawaiian Royal Family. Many of the things KAVEBEAR has said and accused me of have been insulting and he seems insensitive to the very culture and people he is writing about on Wikipedia and has, in the past, been very aggressive with editors of Hawaiian heritage who attempt to edit the articles. I am going to make an attempt in the next few weeks to begin expanding the article and wanted to give you a head-up because you had notified me about the article and KAVEBEAR had responded to it and I wish to begin work on that article once again.--Mark Miller (talk) 23:04, 15 December 2014 (UTC)

A new reference toolEdit

Hello Books & Bytes subscribers. There is a new Visual Editor reference feature in development called Citoid. It is designed to "auto-fill" references using a URL or DOI. We would really appreciate you testing whether TWL partners' references work in Citoid. Sharing your results will help the developers fix bugs and improve the system. If you have a few minutes, please visit the testing page for simple instructions on how to try this new tool. Regards, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 10 April 2015 (UTC)


The Wikipedia Library needs you!Edit

  The Wikipedia Library

Call for Volunteers

The Wikipedia Library is expanding, and we need your help! With only a couple of hours per week, you can make a big difference in helping editors get access to reliable sources and other resources. Sign up for one of the following roles:

  • Account coordinators help distribute research accounts to editors.
  • Partner coordinators seek donations from new partners.
  • Outreach coordinators reach out to the community through blog posts, social media, and newsletters or notifications.
  • Technical coordinators advise on building tools to support the library's work.
Sign up to help here :)

Delivered on behalf of The Wikipedia Library by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:16, 11 June 2015 (UTC)


Moving Burma to Myanmar - new 2015 pollEdit

You participated in a Burma RM in the past so I'm informing you of another RM. I hope I didn't miss anyone. New move attempt of Burma>Myanmar Fyunck(click) (talk) 09:50, 7 August 2015 (UTC)

Europefan /GLGermanEdit

I am hiding in the background at the moment (busy). Should the case need some input please send a Wikimail. Agathoclea (talk) 08:55, 28 August 2015 (UTC)

Christian LerchEdit

Dear Agathoclea: Some time ago you responded to my query about a draft article. Unfortunately your response was archived before I saw it, and I didn't notice it until now. I have moved the draft into mainspace on your recommendation. Thanks!—Anne Delong (talk) 02:38, 24 December 2015 (UTC)

Glad that article could be saved. I was too inactive since then myself to really do anything about it, due to RL issues. Anyway I placed the interwikilink. Agathoclea (talk) 19:14, 24 December 2015 (UTC)


Extended confirmed protectionEdit

 Hello, Agathoclea. This message is intended to notify administrators of important changes to the protection policy.

Extended confirmed protection (also known as "30/500 protection") is a new level of page protection that only allows edits from accounts at least 30 days old and with 500 edits. The automatically assigned "extended confirmed" user right was created for this purpose. The protection level was created following this community discussion with the primary intention of enforcing various arbitration remedies that prohibited editors under the "30 days/500 edits" threshold to edit certain topic areas.

In July and August 2016, a request for comment established consensus for community use of the new protection level. Administrators are authorized to apply extended confirmed protection to combat any form of disruption (e.g. vandalism, sock puppetry, edit warring, etc.) on any topic, subject to the following conditions:

  • Extended confirmed protection may only be used in cases where semi-protection has proven ineffective. It should not be used as a first resort.
  • A bot will post a notification at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard of each use. MusikBot currently does this by updating a report, which is transcluded onto the noticeboard.
Please review the protection policy carefully before using this new level of protection on pages. Thank you.
This message was sent to the administrators' mass message list. To opt-out of future messages, please remove yourself from the list. 17:47, 23 September 2016 (UTC)

Wikipedia:The 10,000 ChallengeEdit

Hi, at Wikipedia:The 10,000 Challenge we're striving to bring about 10,000 article improvements and creations for the UK and Ireland and inspire others to create more content. In order to achieve this we need diversity of content, in all parts of the UK and Ireland on all topics. Eventually a regional contest will be held for all parts of the British Isles, like they were for Wales and the Wedt Country. We currently have just over 1900 articles and need contributors! If you think you'd be interested in collaborating on this and helping reach the target quicker, please sign up and begin listing your entries there as soon as possible! Thanks.♦ --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:40, 28 September 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to Women in Food and Drink editathonEdit


November 2016

An opportunity for you and your country to contribute to the
Women in Food and Drink online editathon
Faciliated by Women in Red

--Ipigott (talk) 10:25, 14 October 2016 (UTC)

(To subscribe, Women in Red/Invite list. Unsubscribe, Women in Red/Opt-out list)

Kevin CherkasEdit

Per WP:UNPROTECT, I'm asking you to unprotect Kevin Cherkas in order to accept Draft:Kevin Cherkas before I submit a request at RFUP. I think the subject now passes GNG. Chris Troutman (talk) 04:07, 29 October 2016 (UTC)

@Chris troutman: I missed this when it came in. In the meantime the draft has been declined. My reasoning (after a short discussion on AN) was to block the easy creation of the article as the subject has quite a history of creations and the editor requested a deletion of the previous draft which included all the previous declines. I will not stand in the way of an article that demonstrates notability. Agathoclea (talk) 13:03, 9 November 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for your response. I've re-submitted and accepted the draft as I think the subject stands better than 50/50 at AfD. Chris Troutman (talk) 13:46, 9 November 2016 (UTC)

Category:Registered historic buildings and monuments in BavariaEdit

Hmm, yes that was probably my attempt to translate Kategorie:Baudenkmal in Bayern. The trouble is that although a Baudenkmal is usually a "historic building" or "heritage building", it can also be a gate, monument or other structure. If Wikipedia normally uses "heritage site" for these objects then I'm happy to go with that, although a "site" would seems to be broader and include e.g. archaeological remains, which may be why I didn't use that term. HTH. --Bermicourt (talk) 07:46, 29 October 2016 (UTC)


Europe 10,000 Challenge inviteEdit

Hi. The Wikipedia:WikiProject Europe/The 10,000 Challenge has recently started, based on the UK/Ireland Wikipedia:The 10,000 Challenge. The idea is not to record every minor edit, but to create a momentum to motivate editors to produce good content improvements and creations and inspire people to work on more countries than they might otherwise work on. There's also the possibility of establishing smaller country or regional challenges for places like Germany, Italy, the Benelux countries, Iberian Peninsula, Romania, Slovenia etc, much like Wikipedia:The 1000 Challenge (Nordic). For this to really work we need diversity and exciting content and editors from a broad range of countries regularly contributing. If you would like to see masses of articles being improved for Europe and your specialist country like Wikipedia:WikiProject Africa/The Africa Destubathon, sign up today and once the challenge starts a contest can be organized. This is a way we can target every country of Europe, and steadily vastly improve the encyclopedia. We need numbers to make this work so consider signing up as a participant and also sign under any country sub challenge on the page that you might contribute to! Thank you. --Ser Amantio di NicolaoChe dicono a Signa?Lo dicono a Signa. 02:01, 6 November 2016 (UTC)

Two-Factor Authentication now available for adminsEdit

Hello,

Please note that TOTP based two-factor authentication is now available for all administrators. In light of the recent compromised accounts, you are encouraged to add this additional layer of security to your account. It may be enabled on your preferences page in the "User profile" tab under the "Basic information" section. For basic instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication, please see the developing help page for additional information. Important: Be sure to record the two-factor authentication key and the single use keys. If you lose your two factor authentication and do not have the keys, it's possible that your account will not be recoverable. Furthermore, you are encouraged to utilize a unique password and two-factor authentication for the email account associated with your Wikimedia account. This measure will assist in safeguarding your account from malicious password resets. Comments, questions, and concerns may be directed to the thread on the administrators' noticeboard. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:32, 12 November 2016 (UTC)

A new user right for New Page PatrollersEdit

Hi Agathoclea.

A new user group, New Page Reviewer, has been created in a move to greatly improve the standard of new page patrolling. The user right can be granted by any admin at PERM. It is highly recommended that admins look beyond the simple numerical threshold and satisfy themselves that the candidates have the required skills of communication and an advanced knowledge of notability and deletion. Admins are automatically included in this user right.

It is anticipated that this user right will significantly reduce the work load of admins who patrol the performance of the patrollers. However,due to the complexity of the rollout, some rights may have been accorded that may later need to be withdrawn, so some help will still be needed to some extent when discovering wrongly applied deletion tags or inappropriate pages that escape the attention of less experienced reviewers, and above all, hasty and bitey tagging for maintenance. User warnings are available here but very often a friendly custom message works best.

If you have any questions about this user right, don't hesitate to join us at WT:NPR. (Sent to all admins).MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:46, 15 November 2016 (UTC)

ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!Edit

 Hello, Agathoclea. Voting in the 2016 Arbitration Committee elections is open from Monday, 00:00, 21 November through Sunday, 23:59, 4 December to all unblocked users who have registered an account before Wednesday, 00:00, 28 October 2016 and have made at least 150 mainspace edits before Sunday, 00:00, 1 November 2016.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2016 election, please review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:08, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

Mitzy LarueEdit

It appears they are one and the same, based on what information I can find, so I say go to town. --Ser Amantio di NicolaoChe dicono a Signa?Lo dicono a Signa. 01:15, 25 November 2016 (UTC)

Removal of images?Edit

Hi Agathoclea - I noticed some of your edits today have removed images or categories that I've added, such as this edit. Is there some kind of problem with the script? Kelly hi! 10:51, 2 December 2016 (UTC)

No problem with the script, but with the time it takes me to get through. I had started my edit prior to your edit and in this case decided to skip the image for not being sure enough. Almost done - then we can double check Agathoclea (talk) 10:55, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
I did confirm that was the correct image by comparing the description with the Historic England listing. Kelly hi! 10:59, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
So I am I through now. Just noticed Bedford as a prime case where I I postponed the pictures that really needed time to decide. Checking the rest of my edits now. Agathoclea (talk) 11:05, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
I fixed all those apart from the single image cases. All in all I tend to err on the side of caution and as we where working from the same baseset but came to different results my later edit only showed the differences between our edits. Thanks for your message Agathoclea (talk) 12:03, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
Hi Agathoclea and thanks for the message. I saw your comment above, but I'm still not clear on the reasons for removing single-image categories. I've sometimes created similar categories, often with a view to adding additional images when time permits. If I'm breaching some policy in creating such categories I'd like to know about it. Dave.Dunford (talk) 13:40, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
I would not go as far as "removing" them, but after some run-ins with editors I had in the past about them I would not add them (Argument being if "More images" points to only the image already shown it is misleading). In this case it was a glorified edit-conflict in which I appeared to remove the categories, while actually adding all the others Kelly had in the meantime also added. As far as the argument goes I agree with those categories not being in the lists but have no opinion as far as their existence on commons in concerned. It only makes matching a little more work. I am more concerned about tagged categories where the ID only refers to a subset of the category ie a castle category where the listed building is the gatehouse. Agathoclea (talk) 13:55, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
Understood re edit conflict. I take the point about the links being slightly misleading when there's only one picture, but if the category already exists I think there's a purpose in linking to it: one would hope that these categories will eventually contain multiple images, and links to them will encourage their expansion IMO. I largely agree on the subset issue, though it's likely to be a persistent problem - many people taking pictures of building complexes and adding them to Commons Categories won't be familiar with the niceties of how buildings are (sometimes) individually listed...and the alternative is yet more subcategories. There's something to be said, however, for a link that gives more photos of the buildings within the complex, even if not all of them feature the building listed. Dave.Dunford (talk) 15:38, 2 December 2016 (UTC)
My Problem is that I am adding pictures and categories across two wikis and in those across a number of different country projects, so I will go with the common denominator of what is acceptable, I will not on purpose hunt existing category links down, so unless there is another run where two ErfgoedBot stalkers get unleashed at the same time there should be no problem. I normally anyway do a diffcheck when I am finished with a run so most things get caught if something goes pearshaped. Agathoclea (talk) 15:47, 2 December 2016 (UTC)☺

Karl-Theodor zu GuttenbergEdit

I would very much appreciate your comments on the working draft I posted on the article's talk page. There was a previous RfC about the length of the summary, and the result was that it should be expanded to a few paragraphs. The draft I wrote is about that length. For what it's worth, I based my summary of the scandal on the German summary, which I believe is neutrally written and well sourced. I also worked to source the entire summary with English-language newspaper articles. I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement you have for the summary I've written, so that we can move towards including it in the article. -Thucydides411 (talk) 22:37, 12 December 2016 (UTC)

Tartuffe (film)Edit

Thanks for reverting that. I knew I had forgotten something; I meant to list a redirect to it at RfD but accidentally nominated at AfD. I took the note out at AfD but forgot to remove the notice on the article itself, I'm sorry about that. Thanks for doing it. Si Trew (talk) 11:24, 27 December 2016 (UTC)

No problem. Its a wiki. I clean up after other people - other people clean up after me. Agathoclea (talk) 11:55, 27 December 2016 (UTC)

TalkbackEdit

Hello, Agathoclea. You have new messages at Northamerica1000's talk page.
Message added 22:41, 4 January 2017 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

North America1000 22:41, 4 January 2017 (UTC)


Wikipedia:WikiProject Wales/Popular pagesEdit

In March 2012, you expressed a desire for a popular pages report for Wikipedia:WikiProject Wales. The discussion is now archived at User talk:Wavelength/Archive 4#Wikipedia:Lists of popular pages by WikiProject // Wales. Another editor expressed such a desire in April 2016, and that discussion is now archived at Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 145#Wikipedia:WikiProject Wales/Awaken the Dragon. A third editor expressed such a desire in that same month, and that discussion is now archived at User talk:Mr.Z-man/Archive 16#Wales - quick run?, with a comment from me. I can now report that Wikipedia:WikiProject Wales/Popular pages has been started, and it is listed at User:Community Tech bot/Popular pages.
Wavelength (talk) 15:26, 17 March 2017 (UTC)

Fantastic news - thanks. Agathoclea (talk) 15:41, 17 March 2017 (UTC)

Possibly of interestEdit

This may be of interest per your comments at Robsinden's talk page. Randy Kryn 15:12, 21 March 2017 (UTC)


the article "Maryann Keller" Testingblog (talk) 04:36, 6 June 2017 (UTC)Edit

Dear Agathoclea, I will very much appreciate that you help address the issues raised by the warning tag in the article "Maryann Keller" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryann_Keller . I appreciate very much your help.


Star of VenusEdit

Hi Agathoclea,

That would be a great idea. Are you able to do that? Thank you. Gryffindor (talk) 10:14, 24 August 2017 (UTC)

Clarification on KHPEdit

Hi, While creating the list of monuments around Kathmandu Hanumandhoka Palace, (back in 2013) perhaps to shorten the name Karthik has used KHP that means Kathmandu Hanumandhoka Palace. --Ganesh Paudel (talk) 11:25, 1 September 2017 (UTC)


Move reviewEdit

An editor has asked for a Move review of Grand Duchy of Kraków. Because you participated in the requested move, you might want to participate in the move review. Academicoffee71 (talk) 05:05, 5 October 2017 (UTC)


WP:CLEANEdit

Hello Agathoclea:
You are invited to join WikiProject Cleanup, a WikiProject and resource for Wikipedia cleanup listings, information and discussion.
To join the project, just add your name to the member list. North America1000 15:26, 25 October 2017 (UTC)


WikiProject Women in Red/The World ContestEdit

Hi. This month The Women in Red World Contest is being held to try to produce new articles for as many countries worldwide and occupations as possible. There is over £3000 in prizes to win, including Amazon vouchers and paid subscriptions. Wikimedia UK is putting up £250 specifically for editors who produce the most quality new women bios for British women, with special consideration given to missing notable biographies from the Oxford Dictionary of Biography and Welsh Dictionary of Biography. If you're not interested in prize money yourself but are willing to participate independently this is also fine, but please add any articles created to the bottom of the main contest page even if not competing. Your participation in the contest and contributing articles on British women from your area or wherever would we much appreciated. Thanks.

ANI Experiences surveyEdit

The Wikimedia Foundation Community health initiative (led by the Safety and Support and Anti-Harassment Tools team) is conducting a survey for en.wikipedia contributors on their experience and satisfaction level with the Administrator’s Noticeboard/Incidents. This survey will be integral to gathering information about how this noticeboard works - which problems it deals with well, and which problems it struggles with.

The survey should take 10-20 minutes to answer, and your individual responses will not be made public. The survey is delivered through Google Forms. The privacy policy for the survey describes how and when Wikimedia collects, uses, and shares the information we receive from survey participants and can be found here:

If you would like to take this survey, please sign up on this page, and a link for the survey will be mailed to you via Special:Emailuser.

Thank you on behalf of the Support & Safety and Anti-Harassment Tools Teams, Patrick Earley (WMF) talk 18:24, 1 December 2017 (UTC)


ArbCom 2017 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Agathoclea. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)


Happy Adminship AnniversaryEdit

  Wishing Agathoclea a very happy adminship anniversary on behalf of the Wikipedia Birthday Committee! Nat965 (talk) 05:37, 25 December 2017 (UTC)


12 years of editingEdit

  Hey, Agathoclea. I'd like to wish you a wonderful First Edit Day on behalf of the Wikipedia Birthday Committee!
Have a great day!
Chris Troutman (talk) 21:44, 27 January 2018 (UTC)
 

Join the wishes, with flowers and music! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 21:59, 27 January 2018 (UTC)

Adding thak you for all these recent project tags for project German, - it seems that you cover all "my" articles! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 09:58, 15 March 2018 (UTC)


Hello, from the Portals WikiProject...Edit

You are invited to join the effort to revitalize and improve the Portal system...

The Portals WikiProject was rebooted 9 days ago, and is going strong. Fifty-two editors have joined so far, with more joining daily.

We're having a blast, and excitement is high...

Our goal is to update, upgrade, and maintain portals.

In addition to working directly on portals, we are developing tools to make building and maintaining portals easier. We've finished one so far, with more to come.

Discussions are underway about how to upgrade portals, and what the portals of the future will be.

There are plenty of tasks (including WikiGnome tasks too) on the WikiProject page.

With more to come.

We may even surprise ourselves and exceed all expectations. Who knows what we will be able to accomplish in what may become the biggest Wikicollaboration in years.

See ya at the WikiProject!

Sincerely,    — The Transhumanist   03:18, 27 April 2018 (UTC)


Thank you very muchEdit

The RfC discussion to eliminate portals was closed May 12, with the statement "There exists a strong consensus against deleting or even deprecating portals at this time." This was made possible because you and others came to the rescue. Thank you for speaking up.

By the way, the current issue of the Signpost features an article with interviews about the RfC and the Portals WikiProject.

I'd also like to let you know that the Portals WikiProject is working hard to make sure your support of portals was not in vain. Toward that end, we have been working diligently to innovate portals, while building, updating, upgrading, and maintaining them. The project has grown to 80 members so far, and has become a beehive of activity.

Our two main goals at this time are to automate portals (in terms of refreshing, rotating, and selecting content), and to develop a one-page model in order to make obsolete and eliminate most of the 150,000 subpages from the portal namespace by migrating their functions to the portal base pages, using technologies such as selective transclusion. Please feel free to join in on any of the many threads of development at the WikiProject's talk page, or just stop by to see how we are doing. If you have any questions about portals or portal development, that is the best place to ask them.

If you would like to keep abreast of developments on portals, keep in mind that the project's members receive updates on their talk pages. The updates are also posted here, for your convenience.

Again, we can't thank you enough for your support of portals, and we hope to make you proud of your decision. Sincerely,    — The Transhumanist   23:18, 25 May 2018 (UTC)

P.S.: if you reply to this message, please {{ping}} me. Thank you. -TT


Trivial awardsEdit

Hi Agathoclea

Sorry to pester you, I see you added content to the Golden Party Badge article. I'm having some trouble with one editor about what is allowed to be added and what isn't, regarding linking to an existing stand-alone article. I'm not asking for you to take sides, I'm trying to get some guidance here. I added to the content of the article by creating an Awards and Decorations section. I then added some awards and decorations and provided links to their own stand-alone pages on wiki. One editor in particular has now decided that some of them are "trivial" and I, and presumably anyone, is not allowed to refer to these stand-alone articles. This includes the Golden Party Badge and the Blood Order. I have had several sections of added content on the Röhm page, and others, deleted because of this so-called trivial/menial business, yet when I've asked for a hard and fast list of all the articles I'm not allowed to refer to via links, I've not been given one. I'm not sure why a stand-alone article exists if you're not allowed to link to it? What do you think I should do here? Just never refer to an existing article via a link or persevere and hope for the best. As it stands now I just add links and wait and see if they are deleted under this new totally ambiguous decision by this editor, and then wait for the inevitable aggressive warning. Not sure what to do! Could use your input on the Röhm talk page re this in general and the Golden Party Badge in particular. Sorry for bothering you Troy von Tempest (talk) 03:03, 16 July 2018 (UTC)


ArbCom 2018 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Agathoclea. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 2 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Could you please guide me with some helpEdit

Hi ::@Agathoclea: I am sorry for disturbing you. I was hoping If you could help me out with wikiedu.org. I am new to wikiedu.org Will that be possible. If not can you recommend an Instructor who could help me. (Purplecart (talk) 10:54, 28 November 2018 (UTC))

Sorry that is not something that I have an understanding of. Agathoclea (talk) 09:16, 29 November 2018 (UTC)


Creation of the article "2019 in Germany" in English WikipediaEdit

Hello, Agathoclea. Happy New Year to you! 2019 is coming soon. Can you creat the article "2019 in Germany" in English Wikipedia? Thanks a lot!
123.150.182.177
15:15, 31 December 2018 (UTC)

2019Edit

 


Die Zeit, die Tag und Jahre macht

Happy 2019 -

begin it with music and memories

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 21:28, 1 January 2019 (UTC)

Please check out "Happy" once more, for a smile, and sharing (a Nobel Peace Prize), and resolutions. I wanted that for 1 January, but then wasn't sad about having our music pictured instead. Not too late for resolutions, New Year or not. DYK that he probably kept me on Wikipedia, back in 2012? By the line (which brought him to my attention, and earned the first precious in br'erly style) that I added to my editnotice, in fond memory? --Gerda Arendt (talk) 13:06, 12 January 2019 (UTC)


Notice of noticeboard discussionEdit

  There is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. The thread is "Concerns Regarding User:Bbb23 and Possible Misuse of Admin/CU Abilities". Thank you. Notifying you as I mentioned your name. Nil Einne (talk) 10:22, 10 April 2019 (UTC)

ArbCom 2019 special circularEdit

 
Administrators must secure their accounts

The Arbitration Committee may require a new RfA if your account is compromised.

View additional information

This message was sent to all administrators following a recent motion. Thank you for your attention. For the Arbitration Committee, Cameron11598 02:49, 4 May 2019 (UTC)


Administrator account security (Correction to Arbcom 2019 special circular)Edit

ArbCom would like to apologise and correct our previous mass message in light of the response from the community.

Since November 2018, six administrator accounts have been compromised and temporarily desysopped. In an effort to help improve account security, our intention was to remind administrators of existing policies on account security — that they are required to "have strong passwords and follow appropriate personal security practices." We have updated our procedures to ensure that we enforce these policies more strictly in the future. The policies themselves have not changed. In particular, two-factor authentication remains an optional means of adding extra security to your account. The choice not to enable 2FA will not be considered when deciding to restore sysop privileges to administrator accounts that were compromised.

We are sorry for the wording of our previous message, which did not accurately convey this, and deeply regret the tone in which it was delivered.

For the Arbitration Committee, -Cameron11598 21:03, 4 May 2019 (UTC)


Administrators' newsletter – May 2019Edit

  Arbitration

  • In response to the continuing compromise of administrator accounts, the Arbitration Committee passed a motion amending the procedures for return of permissions (diff). In such cases, the committee will review all available information to determine whether the administrator followed "appropriate personal security practices" before restoring permissions; administrators found failing to have adequately done so will not be resysopped automatically. All current administrators have been notified of this change.
  • Following a formal ratification process, the arbitration policy has been amended (diff). Specifically, the two-thirds majority required to remove or suspend an arbitrator now excludes (1) the arbitrator facing suspension or removal, and (2) any inactive arbitrator who does not respond within 30 days to attempts to solicit their feedback on the resolution through all known methods of communication.


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:37, 5 May 2019 (UTC)


WikiProject National Register of Historic Places/Images without refnumEdit

Thank you for your post. It is easier for me to keep track of my progress by making the edits as I do them Einbierbitte (talk) 18:07, 6 June 2019 (UTC)


Listed Buildings in KirkcudbrightEdit

The picture at 36455 is not the Harbour Cottage Gallery in Kirkcudbright but the Harbour Master's Office and is unlikely to be listed. Also picture at 36453 is not the Tolbooth, Market Cross & Well but cottages at Castlebank. 7-9 High Street is actually Cannonwalls at the other end of the High Street.

Jamie

Jamie Stuart (talk) 19:12, 22 June 2019 (UTC)

@Jamie Stuart 11: without any filelinks it is difficult for me to follow. The important thing when discovering errors is to correct them at the source. That means in this case at commons to a) remove or replace the national heritage id template, b) ask for a file rename as needed, and c) adjust any categories the file has. Sometimes even Wikidata needs to be updated. I have not been logged in much recently due to other responsibilities, but if you can point me to a particular file at commons i am happy to help sort the underlying issues. Agathoclea (talk) 11:19, 27 June 2019 (UTC)


Elaine BromkaEdit

Hello,

I would like to let you know that I recreated the article you deleted on February 20, 2008. Since Bromka is a recipient of the New England Emmy Award, the article qualifies per WP:ANYBIO. Thank you. Hitcher vs. Candyman (talk) 03:01, 14 August 2019 (UTC)

Certainly an improvement over the previous content of the article, which was "Elaine Bromka is an actress". - Agathoclea (talk) 09:26, 15 August 2019 (UTC)

AddCommonsCatLinksEdit

Hi. I wanted to use this script in Persian Wikipedia, but it doesn't work there. Is there anything like a whitelist for it? I couldn't solve the problem. Hanooz (talk) 13:46, 22 August 2019 (UTC)

@Hanooz: There are two prerequisites for it to work. The templatenames (TableRow & MonumentId@commons) need to be identified in the code, which at first glance I see you have in there. Secondly AFAIK the TableRow needs a particluar class see https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vorlage:Denkmalliste_Hessen_Tabellenzeile&diff=prev&oldid=163430202 as an example. Maybe that is enaugh for it to work. I think in the past I failed at adding a new type to the script when attempting to do it myself it might be worth asking another user @84: who maintains a version of the script himself for further help, if the above does not work. Agathoclea (talk) 14:02, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
Thanks. It even didn't work with template:NRHP row (which has a class). Hanooz (talk) 14:25, 22 August 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – September 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2019).

  Administrator changes

  BradvChetsfordIzno
  FloquenbeamLectonar
  DESiegelJake WartenbergRjanagTopbanana

  CheckUser changes

  CallaneccLFaraoneThere'sNoTime

  Oversight changes

  CallaneccFoxHJ MitchellLFaraoneThere'sNoTime

  Technical news

  • Editors using the mobile website on Wikipedia can opt-in to new advanced features via your settings page. This will give access to more interface links, special pages, and tools.
  • The advanced version of the edit review pages (recent changes, watchlist, and related changes) now includes two new filters. These filters are for "All contents" and "All discussions". They will filter the view to just those namespaces.

  Arbitration

  Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:36, 7 September 2019 (UTC)

Books & Bytes – Issue 35, July – August 2019Edit

  The Wikipedia Library

Books & Bytes
Issue 35, July – August 2019

  • Wikimania
  • We're building something great, but..
  • Wikimedia and Libraries User Group update
  • A Wikibrarian's story
  • Bytes in brief

Read the full newsletter

On behalf of The Wikipedia Library team --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:58, 27 September 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – October 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2019).

  Guideline and policy news

  • Following a discussion, a new criterion for speedy category renaming was added: C2F: One eponymous article, which applies if the category contains only an eponymous article or media file, provided that the category has not otherwise been emptied shortly before the nomination. The default outcome is an upmerge to the parent categories.

  Technical news

  • As previously noted, tighter password requirements for Administrators were put in place last year. Wikipedia should now alert you if your password is less than 10 characters long and thus too short.

  Arbitration

  Miscellaneous

  • The Community Tech team has been working on a system for temporarily watching pages, and welcomes feedback.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:54, 2 October 2019 (UTC)

2019 US Banknote ContestEdit

  US Banknote Contest  
November-December 2019

There are an estimated 30,000 different varieties of United States banknotes, yet only a fraction of these are represented on Wikimedia Commons in the form of 2D scans. Additionally, Colonial America, the Confederate States, the Republic of Texas, multiple states and territories, communities, and private companies have issued banknotes that are in the public domain today but are absent from Commons.

In the months of November and December, WikiProject Numismatics will be running a cross-wiki upload-a-thon, the 2019 US Banknote Contest. The goal of the contest is to increase the number of US banknote images available to content creators on all Wikimedia projects. Participants will claim points for uploading and importing 2D scans of US banknotes, and at the end of the contest all will receive awards. Whether you want to claim the Gold Wiki or you just want to have fun, all are invited to participate.


If you do not want to receive invitations to future US Banknote Contests, follow the instructions here

Sent by ZLEA at 23:30, 19 October 2019 (UTC) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk)

Administrators' newsletter – November 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2019).

  Guideline and policy news

  • A related RfC is seeking the community's sentiment for a binding desysop procedure.

  Arbitration


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:15, 3 November 2019 (UTC)

ArbCom 2019 election voter messageEdit

 Hello! Voting in the 2019 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23:59 on Monday, 2 December 2019. All eligible users are allowed to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2019 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, you may add {{NoACEMM}} to your user talk page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:06, 19 November 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Agathoclea".