Archives

/Archive/1 /Archive/2 /Archive/3 /Archive/4 /Archive/5

REMINDER/invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, June 29 at 6 p.m.Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco tonight!

If you cannot join in person or want to view portions later:

We will have:

  • Light snacks, and time to mingle
  • A brief report on the Pride edit-a-thon recently held at the San Francisco Public Library, that was coordinated by Wiki editor Merrilee
  • A special announcement (secret for now but come and find out more!)
  • Join in on a brief in person Wikidojo!
  • Announcements and impromptu topics are welcome, too!

Please register at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cjLRrSTlEkGOPTQ-h6A0WvSFI4ZmIUl6jEHp_RYas-E/viewform and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict.

For further details, see: Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2016


See you tonight! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 15:48, 29 June 2016 (UTC) | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice)

Late breaking invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, July 27 (Wednesday) - change of venue - tonightEdit

Please join us in the Mission at Noisebridge (one time change of venue)!

We hope you can join us today, Wednesday, from 6 p.m. on, at our July Bay Area WikiSalon. This month only, we are going to be at Noisebridge, a hackerspace/makerspace 1.5 blocks from the 16th & Mission BART station (see the link for directions). Some of us will be working on the Wikipedia article on basic income. All info here. Some good news - we do not have to be as strict about advance RSVP at Noisebridge, so bring spontaneous guests! (Registering ahead of time is still helpful, as always, as it will help us plan ahead.)

Come and hang out, have some light snacks. Wi-Fi is available, so please bring your editing device if you plan to edit.

Also, Pete just published a writeup of the Wikidojo exercise we did last month. Your comments welcome, if he missed anything! http://wikistrategies.net/ghost-town-royals-wikidojo

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. Mark you calendars now.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, Stephen and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:05, 27 July 2016 (UTC)

Wikiversity Journal of Medicine, an open access peer reviewed journal with no charges, invites you to participate.Edit

Hi

Did you know about Wikiversity Journal of Medicine? It is an open access, peer reviewed medical journal, with no publication charges. We welcome you to have a look. Feel free to participate.

You can participate in any one or more of the following ways:

The future of this journal as a separate Wikimedia project is under discussion and the name can be changed suitably. Currently a voting for the same is underway. Please cast your vote in the name you find most suitable. We would be glad to receive further suggestions from you. It is also acceptable to mention your votes in the wide-reach wikiversityjournal.org email list. Please note that the voting closes on 16th August, 2016, unless protracted by consensus, due to any reason.

-from Diptanshu.D (talk · contribs · count) and others of the Editorial Board, Wikiversity Journal of Medicine.

DiptanshuTalk 09:59, 7 August 2016 (UTC)

Gender by language updatesEdit

Hi Max. I look at your WHGI Gender by language page every Monday to review progress over the previous week but there once again seems to be a bug as it hasn't updated this time. I don't know if it's your routines or Wikidata. Perhaps you could check things out.--Ipigott (talk) 16:31, 15 August 2016 (UTC)

@Ipigott: thank you very much for the bug report. I'll check into it now. The crux of it usually is that I rely on Markus Krötzsch's Wikidata Toolkit, which is still in active development, and Wikidata itself still has breaking changes once and a while. Also I wanted to say I saw how @The Earwig: has created a tool quite similar to record metrics for Women in Red. I feel like our tools compliment each other. Earwig's excels in being designed for Women in Red, and does extra category munging. On the other hand it's English only, and so can't give perspective on how Women's biographies are increasing in relation to all English biographies, or to other languages. I'd hope some how we could merge them. It's a very guilty point in my to-do list that I haven't put together a full longitudinal view for WiR so changes can be seen over month-over-month, or year-over-year, only week after week. WHGI actually stores all the necessary data at the moment, just doesn't display it. Which is a grand shame since it would only require just a few hours extra work to put together. I really would hope to do this soon. (Sigh, PhD life!). I guess it would sufficient even now report all the yearly changes in text, without necessarily visualizing it (although that's not even too hard). Long term though I would like to find a collaborator from the community that could maintain the WHGI with me, so that I was not the single point of failure. Maximilianklein (talk)
Thanks for your explanations, Max. You are absolutely right about The Earwig's work but like you, I think it is useful to have comparative data on the other languages too. I hope Krötzsch is able to fix the bug in his toolkit soon so that we can monitor future developments. While WiR is currently principally concerned with the EN Wikipedia, Rosiestep and several others have shown interest in extending the remit to other languages. It would therefore be useful is you could join forces with Harej and his Project X team in order to work towards more comprehensive coverage. In any case, I hope you will be able to find time to look into the existing problem as it would be great to have results for the rest of August. Good luck with your Ph.D.--Ipigott (talk) 08:36, 21 August 2016 (UTC)
Good morning, Max and The Earwig; thanks for what you do. The weekly English languages updates are important, but broader brush strokes across more languages and over extended periods are as well. I'm preparing a presentation for WikiConference North America (7-10 October; San Diego, California) and will include some basics of your work if we can collaborate on that. Please ping me off-list, and again, thank you. --Rosiestep (talk) 13:55, 21 August 2016 (UTC)
@The Earwig, Rosiestep, and Harej: Hi Max. I really think it is a great pity that your Gender by Language analysis has not being updated since 7 August, apparently as a result of modifications to the Wiidata Toolkit which you say is maintained by Markus Krötzsch. The data presented are extremely important to the Women in Red project as they indicate progress on the number of women's biographies as a proportion of all the biographies on Wikipedia, not only for English but for all the major Wikipedia languages. Is there any chance that those of you who are familiar with Wikidata could get together and solve the problem? The last time we had an incident like this, there were no updates for several months. I realize many of you are tied up with other things but maybe you could devote a little bit of you time to this over the next week or two. Not only is it important for Rosie's talks, but for all of us who are enhancing women's coverage on Wikipedia and Wikidata.--Ipigott (talk) 16:10, 2 September 2016 (UTC)
@Ipigott: Sorry I was on Summer holiday. I am working on a fix as I write. I estimate a solution soon, and I will ping you when it's solved. Maximilianklein (talk) 19:29, 6 September 2016 (UTC)
@Ipigott: I believe I have fixed WHGI for the moment. Please ping me again if it goes down in the future. Maximilianklein (talk) 16:47, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for you efforts. The latest stats show good progress for many of the major languages, including English.--Ipigott (talk) 07:38, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
  • Hi Max. Just thought I should let you know there was no update this week.--Ipigott (talk) 07:45, 28 September 2016 (UTC)
@Ipigott: Ok, I will look into it again. Maximilianklein (talk) 20:18, 4 October 2016 (UTC)
Thanks. Fine again now.--Ipigott (talk) 19:17, 10 October 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, August 31Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Hi folks,

We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We make sure to allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks. We will also have a brief presentation for your education and possible enjoyment:

  • Former EFF intern Marta Belcher will discuss crowdsourcing her Stanford Law School graduation speech using a wiki. The "WikiSpeech" was the subject of prominent national media attention in 2015, and more than half of her classmates contributed to writing and editing the commencement address via a wiki.

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, August 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:05, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Tonight: Live and archived links for Bay Area WikiSalonEdit

Bay Area WikiSalon, Wednesday, August 31:

If you cannot join us in person tonight, we are streaming (and later archiving) the presentation by former EFF intern Marta Belcher. We expect her to be live starting between 6:30 or 6:45 p.m. PDT and talking and taking questions for about 30 minutes thereafter.

Here is the YouTube stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t8V79s2-og
Here is the link to join the Hangout on Air: https://hangouts.google.com/call/ezrol7dafjfwxfh2ilpkjyxoaue

You can search for it on the Commons and YouTube later too.

Wayne, Pete, Ben, and Stephen

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:50, 31 August 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, September 28Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Hi folks,

We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, Wikipedia and Wikimedia enthusiasts gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We will have no formal agenda to allow people to freely share ideas and perhaps learn about Wikipedia through hands-on editing. Co-organizer Ben Creasy will be looking at election-related articles to enhance the information available in the upcoming November elections.

Co-organizer Stephen LaPorte has suggested doing an upload-a-thon for Wiki Loves Monuments. Niki, the California coordinator for WLM will be in attendance. WLM is an annual event and the official dealine is Friday the 30th for submissions to count towards awards.

Or, you can grab a couch, a booth, or a stool and do your own thing.

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on future speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, September 2016. Mark your calendars now for the 3rd Wednesday in October, the 26th, when we will have a brief presentation.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:35, 24 September 2016 (UTC)

You are invited to a Wednesday evening event in SFEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Hi folks,

Please copy and share this on other talk pages. We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, Wikipedia and Wikimedia enthusiasts gather at the Wikimedia Foundation lounge to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We will have no meaty agenda this month, but we will allow a brief period for:

  • Open mic for anybody who attended WikiConference North America 2016 in San Diego last week and wants to share their takeaway
  • Question & answer
  • Open mic for announcements
  • Maybe a focus on some topical election article editing with Ben?

Or, you can grab a couch, a booth, a stool or counter and do your own thing.


Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on future speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, October 2016.


PS: Mark your calendars ahead now for the 3rd Wednesday in November, the 30th (the week after Thanksgiving), at 6 p.m. when our WikiSalon will host a super awesome top secret mystery guest mingling in our midst. We will announce specifics at the upcoming WikiSalon.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen, Jacob, and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:51, 22 October 2016 (UTC)

Precious anniversaryEdit

Four years ago ...
 
countering bias
... you were recipient
no. 300 of Precious,
a prize of QAI!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 17:37, 10 November 2016 (UTC)

Five years now! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 22:31, 10 November 2017 (UTC)

... and six --Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:59, 10 November 2018 (UTC)

... and seven --Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:08, 10 November 2019 (UTC)

Everybody is invited to the November 30 Bay Area WikiSalonEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Details and RSVP here.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, and Checkingfax | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:54, 29 November 2016 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon series: Everybody is invited this Wednesday evening at 6Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki and open-source enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

Before and after the brief presentation we allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks.


In addition, this month we will have:

  • a brief presentation from User:Cullen328 (Jim Heaphy) about the Wikipedia Teahouse
  • spontaneous lightning talks from the floor
  • community announcements from the floor

For details and to RSVP see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, December 2016


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Checkingfax | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

+++++
P.S. Any help spreading the word through social media or other avenues is most welcome! We plan to announce this on various sites and invite various groups; if you would like to join in, check our meta planning page, and please note any announcements you are sending out: meta:Monthly WikiSalon in San Francisco#Announcements and promotion

Please feel free to add to, refine, reorganize or edit the above linked page: it is a wiki!

We need more helpers and organizers, so if you see a need, please jump in, or talk to us about it! You can add your username to the meta page where appropriate, or create a new role!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:44, 12 December 2016 (UTC)

Reminder invitation to the December Bay Area WikiSalonEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Hi, everybody.

We are excited to remind you of the ninth in the Bay Area WikiSalon series that is coming up this Wednesday evening at 6 p.m.

  • Details (RSVP suggested) here (RSVP helps us know how much food and drink to bring in)

What is a WikiSalon? A monthly safe and inclusive meatspace event conducted in organized chaos and we all clean up the mess afterwards. Livestream links for the presentation are available during presentation months, and will be forthcoming for those of you that cannot attend. December is a presentation month.


Hope to see you there! Wayne (and Ben) - co-organizers
Any last minute questions or suggestions? Please ping or email Ben or me. | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 05:10, 20 December 2016 (UTC)

Festive greetings!Edit

Thanks, @Ipigott: Maximilianklein (talk) 17:20, 23 December 2016 (UTC)

Archived link for December Bay Area WikiSalonEdit

Hi, y'all. In case you missed it and want to watch the archive reel; the topic was The Wikipedia Teahouse and the presenter was well respected Wikimedian Jim Heaphy [[User:Cullen328]]

  • Archive link (also includes intro, announcements, and a lightning talk)
  • Details about Bay Area WikiSalon for December here

The full title of Jim's presentation was: Welcoming and Helping New Editors: A Month at the Wikipedia Teahouse: an overview of the Teahouse and an analysis of over 300 Teahouse conversations during the month of August, 2016

Jim gave a longer version of this presentation in October at WikiConference North America 2016 in San Diego, California.


Cheers! Co-organizer Checkingfax - and co-organizer Ben Creasy | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)


PS: Mark your calendars now for Sunday, January 15 at 2 p.m. which will be Wikipedia's 16th Birthday party hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon! Details to follow soon. If you want to help plan it, get in touch with us ASAP!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:43, 23 December 2016 (UTC)

You are invited to a birthday bash to Celebrate Wikipedia's 16th Birthday!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Wikipedia Day 16 SF is a fun Birthday bash and edit-a-thon on Sunday, January 15, 2017, hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon at the Wikimedia Foundation's Chip Deubner Lounge in the South of Market Street business district.

For details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Meetup/SF/Wikipedia Day 2017

The San Francisco gathering is one of a number of Wikipedia Day celebrations worldwide.


See you soon! Ben Creasy, Checkingfax and Slaporte | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this notice)


PS: We need volunteers to help make this a fun and worthwhile event. Please add your name to the Project page, and what you can offer. It is a wiki, so please make direct edits to the page.

Bay Area WikiSalon usually meets the last Wednesday evening of every month as an inclusive and safe place to collaborate, mingle, munch and learn about new projects and ideas.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:52, 8 January 2017 (UTC)

Reminder invitation to the Wikipedia Day 16 birthday bash & edit-a-thonEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Wikipedia Day 16 SF is a fun Birthday bash and edit-a-thon on Sunday, January 15, 2017, hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon at the Wikimedia Foundation's Chip Deubner Lounge in the South of Market Street business district and everybody is invited!

Details and RSVP here

See you Sunday! Ben Creasy, Checkingfax and Slaporte


PS: We still need more volunteers to help make this a fun and worthwhile event. Please add what you can offer and your name to the Project page or Talk about it. It is a wiki, so please make direct edits to the Project page. The event is already growing due to volunteers that have stepped up so far.  


Bay Area WikiSalon meets one evening of every month as an inclusive and safe place to collaborate, mingle, munch or learn about new projects and ideas.

Note: the previous invitation had a bum wikilink. Sorry! | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this notice) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:43, 13 January 2017 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon invitation for February 22Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks.


Please note: You should RSVP here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in.


For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, February 2017


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:47, 15 February 2017 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon February reminderEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 6 p.m.


For details and to RSVP: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, February 2017


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Wayne (co-coordinators) | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:58, 21 February 2017 (UTC)

Your invitation: Bay Area WikiSalon series at NoisebridgeEdit

Please join us in San Francisco!

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. This month we are meeting at Noisebridge makerspace/hackerspace in the Mission near 16th Street BART (temporary change of venue). The good news is this means that you can bring spontaneous guests if you forget to RSVP!

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks.


If possible, please RSVP as it helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in. For further details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, March 2017


See you soon! Co-coordinators Ben Creasy and Wayne
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:06, 23 March 2017 (UTC)

Reminder: Tonight is Bay Area WikiSalon at NoisebridgeEdit

Please join us in San Francisco!

Details and to RSVP: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, March 2017 (optional, but helpful for food and special needs accommodations)

We are meeting at Noisebridge makerspace/hackerspace (temporary venue change) near 16th ST BART in SF.


See you soon! Co-coordinators Ben Creasy and Wayne
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:52, 29 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikimedian in Residence BoF at Wikimania 2017Edit

Hello!

My name is David Alves (User:Horadrim~usurped), and I'm an Wikipedian in Residence at RIDC NeuroMat (User:Horadrim). I've reach your contact through the Wikimedian in residence page in Outreach. As you may know, Wikimania 2017 is coming! I am here because, as a fellow WiR, I believe this would be a great opportunity for us to share experiences, discuss difficulties and exchange solutions, creating a community among us capable of supporting in other projects that would benefit from residents. In that sense, I have submitted a proposal of a Birds of a Feather activity to Wikimania that you can check out here. I hope to count with your support in this project and would like to invite you to join us if you participate in Wikimania. In case of any doubts, please feel free to contact me, either in my talk pages or by e-mail at david.alves outlook.com.

Thank you very much! ‎Horadrim~usurped (talk) 00:33, 13 April 2017 (UTC)

Wednesday night you are invited! Bay Area WikiSalonEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather for the Bay Area WikiSalon series to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks. We will have some announcements and lightning talks from the floor, and a breakout session. This is our one year anniversary, so there will be cake!


Please RSVP here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in.


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Wayne
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:19, 26 April 2017 (UTC)

Everybody is invited to the May 31 Bay Area WikiSalon series!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. This month we are taking it on the road to Noisebridge makerspace/hackerspace!

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks. There will be periodic guided tours of Noisebridge. You can stay late, on your own! YeeHaw!


For details and to RSVP, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, May 2017


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Wayne
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:08, 24 May 2017 (UTC)

The Bay Area WikiSalon is an unSalon this month!Edit

Please stay where you are for an unSalon!

We are taking July off! Please gather your thoughts for changes that you would like to see in the next 10 months and present them at our July 26 WikiSalon.

Ordinarily, the last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at the Bay Area WikiSalon series to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We normally allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend.


Mark your calendars now for Wednesday, July 26 at 6 p.m.! The venue will be the Noisebridge hackerspace/makerspace on Mission Street in San Francisco.


Sincerely, Ben Creasy and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 04:44, 28 June 2017 (UTC)

The Black Woman is God Edit-a-Thon in San Francisco, July 22Edit

You're invited to The Black Woman is God Edit-a-Thon at SOMArts in San Francisco on Saturday July 22, 1-4 pm. It'll be at 934 Brannan Street (between 8th & 9th). Everyone is welcome to join this editing event, held in conjunction with The Black Woman is God exhibition to raise the online visibility of Black women artists and challenge the gaps in art history that erase or minimize Black women’s contributions as artists, activists and social change-makers. (Message requested by Dreamyshade and delivered on 14:23, 9 July 2017 (UTC). You can subscribe/unsubscribe to San Francisco event talk page notices here.)

What is Talk Page Theatre? Come find out!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Come find out what "Talk Page Theatre" is all about! The last Wednesday evening of every other month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.


We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks. We will be at the NEW Wikimedia Foundation offices! w00t!!!


Please note: You should RSVP here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in.


For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, November 2017


See you soon! Ben Creasy, Nikikana, and Wayne | ( Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice ) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 09:30, 14 November 2017 (UTC)

ArbCom 2017 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Maximilianklein. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

SFMOMA Edit-a-Thon in San Francisco, March 8Edit

You're invited to an Art+Feminism Edit-a-Thon at SFMOMA in San Francisco on Thursday March 8, 5-9 pm. It'll be at 151 Third Street, 2nd floor, free to the public. Everyone is welcome to participate in an evening of communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to gender, art, and feminism. (This message is from User:Dreamyshade. You can subscribe/unsubscribe to San Francisco event talk page notices here.)
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:58, 4 March 2018 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon invitation!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Periodically, on the last Wednesday evening of the month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to munch, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for announcements, informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Bring a friend! Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. This months focus is images!

We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks (maybe pizza too!).


For further details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, May 2018 (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Ben Creasy, Nikikana, Stephen, and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:22, 21 May 2018 (UTC)

UPDATE! Bay Area WikiSalon moved to June 6!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Our apologies, but we are rescheduling to Wednesday, June 6 at 6:00 p.m. due to a WMF host scheduling conflict.


For further details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2018 (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Niki, Ben, Stephen, and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:38, 25 May 2018 (UTC)

REMINDER: Bay Area WikiSalon is Wednesday, June 6Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

When: Wednesday, June 6 at 6:00 p.m.


For details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2018 (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Niki, Lodewijk, Ben, Stephen, and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:41, 5 June 2018 (UTC)

Women in Red tools and technical supportEdit

We are preparing a list of tools and techncial support for Women in Red. I have tentatively added your name as you have provided assistance by creating and maintaining the Gender by language statistics. Please let me know whether you agree to be listed. You are of course welcome to make any additions or corrections.--Ipigott (talk) 07:21, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

@Ipigott: thanks for signing me up, I want to be signed up. I actually recently started a new job in which I work closely with Wikipedia data so it might be easier for me to contribute more when needed. Maximilianklein (talk) 23:23, 11 June 2018 (UTC)
Glad to hear about your new job, Max. Keep us posted on any relevant developments.--Ipigott (talk) 06:20, 12 June 2018 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon invitation for July 25!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Periodically, on the last Wednesday evening of the month, wiki enthusiasts gather at the Bay Area WikiSalon series to munch, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for announcements, informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Bring a friend! Kid/family friendly. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. This months focus is reliable sources!

We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks (maybe pizza too!).


For further details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, July 2018 (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Avik (User:Quantumavik), Lodewijk (User:Effeietsanders), Ben Creasy (User:Ben Creasy), Stephen (User:Slaporte), and Wayne (User:Checkingfax)
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 15:14, 19 July 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #1Edit

Welcome to the first newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth Team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects. We will be starting with Wikipedias, but we hope these changes will benefit every community.

8 ideas we consider: tell us what you think about them!

We are considering new features to build, that could retain new editors in mid-size Wikipedias. We will be testing new ideas in Czech and Korean Wikipedias, and then we'll talk to more communities (yours!) about adopting the ideas that work well.

We have posted the 8 ideas we are considering. We would really appreciate your thoughts and the thoughts from your community. Please share the ideas, and tell us what do you and your community think of those ideas before September 9.

Share your experiences with newcomers

We want to hear about what is working and what is not working for new contributors in your wiki. We also want to hear any reactions, questions, or opinions on our work. Please post on the team’s talk page, in any language!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project page for detailed updates on the first project we'll work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by botGive feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Bay Area WikiSalon invitation for September 26!Edit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Periodically, on the last Wednesday evening of the month, wiki enthusiasts gather at the Bay Area WikiSalon series to munch, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for announcements, informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Bring a friend! Kid/family friendly. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. This months' focus is Did you know ... ?

We will have beverages (including beer and wine) plus light snacks (maybe pizza too!).


Details and RSVP here (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Avik (User:Quantumavik), Lodewijk (User:Effeietsanders), Ben Creasy (User:Ben Creasy), Stephen (User:Slaporte), and Wayne (User:Checkingfax)
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:45, 18 September 2018 (UTC)

Last call for RSVPs for Wednesday eveningEdit

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!

Hey, folks.​ Reminder:​ Wednesday evening ​at 6 ​is the Bay Area WikiSalon series​.​


Details and RSVP here (note: we are meeting at the new WMF HQ at 120 Kearny Street!)

See you soon! Avik (User:Quantumavik), Lodewijk (User:Effeietsanders), Ben Creasy (User:Ben Creasy), Stephen (User:Slaporte), and Wayne (User:Checkingfax)
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:32, 26 September 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #2Edit

Growth team updates #3Edit

Welcome to the third newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

Two Growth team projects to be deployed in next two weeks

We will be deploying the "Understanding first day" and "Personalized first day" projects on Czech and Korean Wikipedias in the coming weeks. See the new project pages below for full details on the projects, and our project updates page for their progress.

  • Understanding first day: learn about the actions new editors take right after creating their accounts. We will be careful with user privacy, and we hope to share initial results in December.
  • Personalized first day: learn about new editors' objectives by adding some optional questions to the new editor’s registration process, and personalizing their onboarding. We hope to share initial results in December.

Third Growth team project begins

  • Focus on help desk: direct newcomers to the local help desks where they can ask questions to help them make their first edits. We hope to have an initial experiment running in December.

Best practices for helping newcomers

We are going to direct newcomers to help desks. But what's the best way to reply to a newcomer there? We have gathered some best practices for successful interactions, based on community experiences and some external documentation. The page has also been reviewed by some experienced community members who suggested some changes. That page is now open for translations. Comments and suggestions are still welcome!

We are still looking for volunteers

Do you want to participate to our experiments? We are looking for new communities to work with us (especially a new mid-size wiki), and people to become ambassadors to help us to communicate with the different communities. Discover how you can involve yourself or your community.

Also, please share this update with your community and interested people!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project page for detailed updates on the projects we'll work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 13:30, 7 November 2018 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

ArbCom 2018 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Maximilianklein. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 3 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #4Edit

Welcome to the fourth newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

We need your feedback!

We have two requests for community members:

  1. Now that data is coming in for the welcome survey, we are planning how to use that data to personalize the newcomer's first day. See our current thoughts here, and join the conversation here.
  2. Try out the help panel's interactive prototype, and read about how we're planning to roll it out, and post any thoughts or reactions here.

Two Growth team projects have been deployed (detailed updates here)

  • Personalized first day (welcome survey) was deployed on November 20 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias.
    • The survey is now being shown to half of new users (A/B test). Responses are being recorded in the database. We'll report on initial results during December.
    • We are planning to test a second version of the survey, called "Variation C", which we think will maximize the number of users who complete the survey and stay on the wiki.
    • The original objective of this project was to give newcomers the materials they need to achieve their goals, and so now we are currently planning how we will use the information collected in the welcome survey to personalize the newcomer's experience. We hope community members will read our current thinking and join the conversation here. Some of the plans we are considering include:
      • Making it easy for newcomers to see editing activity around the topic areas in which they indicated that they're interested.
      • Connecting interested newcomers to experienced editors.
      • Surfacing the help content most relevant to the reason for which the newcomers created their accounts.
  • Understanding first day (EditorJourney) was deployed on November 15 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias. It has been done after a longer security review and final testing than expected. Data is now being recorded for all new users on those wikis, and we've been auditing the data and preparing to make initial reports during December. Stay tuned for the next newsletter!

Help panel is under construction

  • Focus on help desk (help panel) is planned to be deployed during the week of January 7 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias.
  • This interactive prototype is the best way to see the design and wording in the feature.
  • We ran live user tests on the prototype, with results posted here.
  • In addition to giving the ability to ask a question, the help panel will also contain a set of links to existing help content. Our ambassadors on Czech and Korean Wikipedias are determining the right initial set of most helpful links in this task.
  • We encourage community members to try out the prototype and read about the rules for who will get the feature, and add any thoughts to this discussion.

We are still looking for volunteers

Do you want to participate to our experiments? We are looking for new communities to work with us (especially a new mid-size wiki), and people to become ambassadors to help us to communicate with the different communities. Discover how you can involve yourself or your community.

Also, please share this update with your community and interested people!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project updates page for detailed updates on the projects we work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 09:31, 7 December 2018 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

re Wikipedia:Teahouse#Experiment test using AI to invite users to TeahouseEdit

(I wanted to avoid cluttering the page, especially if it is to make a fool of myself for not knowing standard statistical good practices)

Coming from a different background, I am not sure I get why you define m1 and m2 at the design stage. If you can gather lots of data quickly and have few cofounding factors, you can just make your measurements and search exhaustively for correlations in the data ("physics paradigm"). If you have lots of cofounding factors and small sample sizes then you cannot do that so you must decide beforehand what correlations to use ("epidemiology paradigm").

IMO your study falls more in the "physics paradigm". You have two populations (invited / not invited) and for each of them you want to measure ORES score (real number?), retention (binary) and posting to Teahouse (binary). The "invited" population being 300*30 = 9k editors, the "non-invited" is I assume above that, and choosing half the invitations by ORES means you will cover a significant range of ORES values in the first population. The only problems are if the "retention" and "posting to TH" are such small fractions of the initial populations in both cases that even a 9k sample does not give a statistically sound estimator of the retention/posting rates, but if so that is going to be a problem no matter the metric you choose. I do understand that choosing the definition of "ORES score", "sticks around" and "posts to TH" should be done beforehand, but afterwards, there are few variables and large sample sizes so any correlation found between them is fair game, no?

Regarding your point about m2: I do believe that P(posts to TH|has not been invited) is not or weakly correlated to ORES score, but P(posts to TH|has been invited) certainly is correlated to ORES. But that is a mere belief and the point of running experiments is to get actual data. TigraanClick here to contact me 10:17, 10 December 2018 (UTC)

Hi again Tigraan, thanks for your in-depth and thoughtful oversight of the experiment -- helps me to sharpen my thinking and is of course good for the experiment to get scrutiny. Regarding the "physics paradigm" that is curious, I've never studied experimental physics, my background is more from behavioural science, which follows the principles of the Randomized controlled trial -- in which its customary to define the metric beforehand. It seems more like p-hacking to me to later try and see which of your variable correlate, since your explorations are not necessarily driven by theory. BTW I have since done the Power Analysis to determine how many trials we need to see a significant (p>0.05) increase in posting to TeaHouse. Currently the baseline 4% of invitees do. To have an 80% chance in witnessing a 1%-point increase to 5%, we need to have 14,000 samples in each group which means 12 weeks of running the experiment. To see a 2%-point increase to 6% of editors leaving a message we need 4 weeks see the full details of calculations.
Regarding m2, I get your point, and it's accurate. A fortunate twist is that because I want the AI to invite 150 users per day and I want the AI to run in real time I decided to tune the invite-threshhold to a level that would on average invite about 165-users per day (10% buffer). That means that I will be able to track about 15+ users per day that "would have been invited, but aren't" which is perfect control group to test an assumption like "P(posts to TH|has been invited) is correlated with ORES score." And as to your last point, yes let's run the experiments and see what the data say, I'm curious myself to know if high-ores score relates to more retention, which if True kind of makes for a circular logic that I agree this AI might be susceptible to. Maximilianklein (talk) 09:24, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi Max, pardon me for butting in here! Skimmed through the discussion on the Teahouse talk page and here, and had a question I wanted to ask. You mention above that you want the AI version of HostBot to run in real time. Does that mean that it'll post invitations much faster than what HostBot currently does, or will it run on a schedule (i.e. a cron job)? I'm concerned that "time to invite" could be a confounding factor in the experiment, although I'm also in favor of getting the invites out faster. You might be able to control for that by comparing users who were invited by AI-HostBot with users who would be invited by AI-HostBot but later got invited by the other bot?
Apart from that, just wanted to say that I'm excited about this experiment, looking forward to learning more about what you find! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 16:24, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi Nettrom, thanks for paying attention and taking part in the discussion. You bring up a good point. The plan for HostBot-AI is to run in lets say "near-realtime" on cron-job approx. every 10 minutes. Now that is a bit unscientific as you bring up because we won't know whether any benefits are derived in part or whole from being closer to real-time. User Jtmorgan current author of HostBot, encouraged me to do this, because while it will have the disentanglement problem, they thought it would be better to move to another solution if it proves positive. To be complete there is also nothing stopping the current HostBot running more quickly than its implementation (I believe its stateless so relies on being run everyday), so we could have the disentanglement experiment later. Cheers, Maximilianklein (talk) 00:05, 13 December 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Maximilianklein. Have you got approval to run Recitation-bot as a bot? If not, you need to stop using the account and get approval before making any more edits with it, or it will likely end up being blocked. You should also make it clear on the account's userpage that it belongs to you (i.e. with a template such as {{Alternative account}}). Thanks —DoRD (talk)​ 23:40, 13 December 2018 (UTC)

Hello DoRD. I'm so sorry, yes you are right about needing the bot approval. I had just finished prototyping this code, and had done some testing at test.wikipedia.org, I only wanted to a very small real-life test. I'm aware I should have gotten bot approval for that, it just slipped my mind for a moment. I wasn't planning to, and of course won't be running any more tests until approved through the proper bot approval process. I very much apologize, it was a mistake. Maximilianklein (talk) 08:49, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
No apology is necessary, I simply don't want to see you end up in hot water over the username and bot edits. —DoRD (talk)​ 12:29, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
  • Just to make sure you saw my close of your unblock request, once you have filed a BRFA, and have approval to test - please ping me, and I will unblock the bot account. SQLQuery me! 19:00, 29 December 2018 (UTC)
SQL, thanks for the response I will follow your unblock instructions. Maximilianklein (talk) 00:24, 3 January 2019 (UTC)

You are cordially invited to Stanford University to celebrate Wikipedia's birthdayEdit

Join us in celebrating Wikipedia's 18th birthday at Stanford University!
I am delighted to invite you to the 2019 Wikipedia Day party at Stanford, which will be held on Tuesday, January 15, 2019, at 5:00-8:30pm.

There will be pizza, cake, and refreshments; both newcomers and experienced Wikimedians are welcome! We will have a beginner track with tutorials, and an advanced track with presentations, lightning talks, and tips and tricks. Admission is free, and you do NOT have to be a Stanford University student to attend.

Details and RSVP here • register here

See you soon! All the best, Kevin (aka L235 · t · c)
(Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:40, 5 January 2019 (UTC)

VIAF duplicates - how to manage?Edit

Hi! I saw you have been Wikipedian in Residence for OCLC, so I want to ask you a little question about VIAF: in the past months I've often (~ 100 times) found duplicates on VIAF and added them on Wikidata as multiple identifiers (e.g. d:Q1272518, d:Q763533, d:Q816057, d:Q15715298 and many others) ... I'd want to ask you: is VIAF taking into account these multiple identifiers, in order to check and merge duplicates? Or is there a more efficient way to notify VIAF these duplicates? Thank you very much, --Epìdosis 09:20, 16 January 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #5Edit

Welcome to the fifth newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

New projects for discussionEdit

We began the "Personalized first day" project with the welcome survey so that we could gather information about what newcomers are trying to accomplish. The next step is to use that information to create experiences that help the newcomers accomplish their goal – actually personalizing their first day. We asked for community thoughts in the previous newsletter, and after discussing with community members and amongst our team, we are now planning two projects as next steps: "engagement emails" and "newcomer homepage".

  • Engagement emails: this project was first discussed positively by community members here back in September 2018, and the team how has bandwidth to pursue it. The idea is that newcomers who leave the wiki don't get encouraged to return to the wiki and edit. We can engage them through emails that send them the specific information they need to be successful – such as contact from a mentor, the impact of their edits, or task recommendations. Please read over the project page, and comment on its discussion page with any ideas, questions, or concerns. Do you think this is a good idea? Where could we go wrong?
  • Newcomer homepage: we developed the idea for this project after analyzing the data from the welcome survey and EditorJourney datasets. We saw that many newcomers seem to be looking for a place to get started – a place that collects their past work, options for future work, and ways to learn more. We can build this place, and it can connect to the engagement emails. The content of both could be guided by what newcomers say they need during their welcome survey, and contain things like contact from a mentor, impact of their edits, or task recommendations. Please read over the project page, and comment on its discussion page with any ideas, questions, or concerns. Do you think this is a good idea? Where could we go wrong?

Initial reports on newcomer activityEdit

We have published initial reports on each of the team's first two projects. These reports give the basic numbers from each project, and there are many more questions we will continue to answer in future reports. We're excited about these initial findings. They have already helped us define and design parts of our future projects.

  • Welcome survey: the initial report on welcome survey responses is available here. Some of the main findings:
    • Most users respond to the survey, giving it high response rates of 67% and 62% in Czech and Korean Wikipedias, respectively.
    • The survey does not cause newcomers to be less likely to edit.
    • The most common reason for creating an account in Korean Wikipedia is to read articles—not for editing—with 29% of Korean users giving that responses.
    • Large numbers of respondents said they are interested in being contacted to get help with editing: 36% in Czech and 53% in Korean.
  • Understanding first day: the initial report on what newcomers do on their first day is available here. Some of the main findings:
    • Large numbers of users view help or policy pages on their first day: 42% in Czech and 28% in Korean.
    • Large numbers of users view their own User or User Talk page on their first day: 34% in Czech and 39% in Korean.
    • A majority of new users open an editor on their first day – but about a quarter of them do not go on to save an edit during that time.

Help panel deploymentEdit

The help panel was deployed in Czech and Korean Wikipedias on January 10. Over the past four weeks:

  • About 400 newcomers in each wiki have seen the help panel button.
  • About 20% of them open up the help panel.
  • About 50% of those who open it up click on one of the links.
  • About 5% of Czech users ask questions, and about 1% of Korean users ask questions.

We think that the 20% open rate and 50% click rate are strong numbers, showing that a lot of people are looking for help, and many want to help themselves by looking at help pages. The somewhat lower numbers of asking questions (especially in Korean Wikipedia) has caused us to consider new features to allow people to help themselves. We're going to be adding a search bar to the help panel next, which will allow users to type a search that only looks for pages in the Help and Wikipedia namespaces.

How to create a good feedback page?Edit

What is the way to built a good help page? What blocks you when writing an help page? Your replies will help to create better help contents to newcomers, that would be used on Help panel.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 14:15, 13 February 2019 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

User:Maximilianklein/draft/HjrohinEdit

Hey Maximilianklein, what's the deal here? Did not have you pegged as a a Schwimmer sock; I assume you're doing some sort of test with this page? If so, could you disable the unblock request template, please, so it stops showing up in Category:Requests for unblock? Cheers, Yunshui  22:15, 2 March 2019 (UTC)

Yunshui, I was using that page to test a bot's handling of blocked users. Sorry fro the notification. I'll delete it now. Do you know if I put it in nowiki tags if it'll keep bothering you? Maximilianklein (talk) 22:43, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
Figured as much; I was hurtling over here to slap down an LTA block on you (somehow we've never crossed paths, so your username was unfamilar to me) when I saw your contribs and thought, "hang on a minute...". Yeah, if you nowiki the template or disable it in some other way (tlx and so forth) it'll drop from the category - or, if that's going to spoil your test, just put a big notice at the top of the page so that other admins don't make the same mistake I did! Yunshui  22:48, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
Yunshui Thanks for keeping your ears and eyes open. The nowiki solution works for my purposes. Sorry to have gotten in your way. Maximilianklein (talk) 22:50, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
Not a problem at all, no apology needed. Good luck with the bot! Yunshui  22:51, 2 March 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #6Edit

18:19, 18 March 2019 (UTC)

BAGBot: Your bot request HostBot 9Edit

Someone has marked Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/HostBot 9 as needing your input. Please visit that page to reply to the requests. Thanks! AnomieBOT 00:58, 10 April 2019 (UTC) To opt out of these notifications, place {{bots|optout=operatorassistanceneeded}} anywhere on this page.

Growth team updates #7Edit

16:18, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Call for submissions for the Community Growth space at Wikimania 2019Edit

Welcome to a special newsletter from the Growth team! This special newsletter is not about Wikimedia Foundation Growth team projects. Instead, it is a call for submissions for the Community Growth space at Wikimania 2019. We think that many people who receive this newsletter may have something valuable to contribute to this space at Wikimania. We haven't translated the newsletter, because Wikimania's language is English.

Please see below for the message from the organizers of the Community Growth space at Wikimania.

---

Wikimania 2019 is organized into 19 “spaces”, which are all accepting proposals for sessions. This message comes from the team organizing the Community Growth space.

Since you are interested b Growth team projects, and potentially involved in welcoming newcomers initiatives on your wiki, we would like to invite you to submit a proposal to the Community Growth space because of the actions you’ve done around newcomers on wikis. The deadline for submission is June 1. See below for Community Growth submission topics and session formats. Topics and sessions have to be in English.

In the Community Growth space, we will come together for discussions, presentations, and workshops that address these questions:

  • What is and is not working around attracting and retaining newcomers?
  • How should Wikimedia activities evolve to help communities grow and flourish?
  • How should our technology and culture evolve to help new populations to come online, participate and become community members?

Recommended topics: please see this link for the list for the list of recommended topics. If you do not plan to submit a proposal, you can also suggest additional topics here. If your topic does not fit into our space, remember that there are 18 other spaces that could welcome you sharing your knowledge and perspective.

Types of session. We prefer sessions that are participatory, interactive, promote conversations, and give a voice to parts of our movement that are heard less often. Please see this link for the list of recommended session formats.

Poster submissions. Posters are also a good way to introduce a topic, or show some results of an action. Please consider submitting one!

More information about the Community Growth space, topics, and submission formats is available on the proposal page.

Please submit your proposal. The reviews will happen at the beginning of June.

If you have questions about Wikimania in general, please ask them on the Wikimania wiki.

On behalf of the Community Growth leadership team, Trizek (WMF), 11:44, 16 May 2019 (UTC)

Your BRFAEdit

Hello, your recent BRFA (Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/HostBot 9) was approved. Best regards, — xaosflux Talk 15:24, 27 May 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #8Edit

09:02, 13 June 2019 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of PLAYgreen FestivalEdit

 

The article PLAYgreen Festival has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Lack of independent coverage by multiple reliable sources

While all constructive contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, pages may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the page to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. Alduin2000 (talk) 02:01, 2 July 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #9Edit

14:26, 23 July 2019 (UTC)

CivilServantBotEdit

Hi, I don't know how often do you use your CS account, but this seems to be used. I have blocked your bot: CivilServantBot on pl.wikipedia. Here you can see it doesn't work properly. Creating drafts in own namespaces with questions for inactive users doesn't seem to be a proper usage. einsbor talk 08:44, 30 September 2019 (UTC)

Hi @Einsbor:, thanks for pointing this out to me! Yes, it's an error, somehow the test-mode the bot got turned on so instead of contacting the users, it does the test and creates the page in the sandbox. It's easily fixed. I will respond at pl:Wikipedia:Prośby_do_administratorów#CivilServantBot to keep everything in one place. Thanks again for your sharp eye. Maximilianklein(CS) (talk) 20:03, 30 September 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #10Edit

18:49, 2 October 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #11Edit

15:02, 18 November 2019 (UTC)

ArbCom 2019 election voter messageEdit

 Hello! Voting in the 2019 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23:59 on Monday, 2 December 2019. All eligible users are allowed to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2019 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, you may add {{NoACEMM}} to your user talk page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:13, 19 November 2019 (UTC)

You are cordially invited to the SPIE Photonics West edit-a-thon on 02.02.2020Edit

Join us for the SPIE Photonics West edit-a-thon this Sunday, 02.02.2020!
I am delighted to invite you to the SPIE Photonics West 2020 edit-a-thon, at Park Central Hotel (Franciscan I, 3rd Level / 50 Third Street / San Francisco, California), on Sunday, February 2, 2020, at 5:00-7:00pm.

Newcomers and experienced Wikimedians are welcome to participate alongside SPIE conference attendees. Admission is free. Training will be provided.

Details and sign-in here

See you soon! All the best, --Rosiestep (talk) 06:59, 31 January 2020 (UTC) via MassMessaging

Growth team updates #12Edit

17:39, 4 February 2020 (UTC)

Growth team newsletter #13Edit

14:29, 18 May 2020 (UTC)

Growth team newsletter 14Edit

09:33, 7 September 2020 (UTC)

Citation Bot questionEdit

Since you know about such things, I hope, and Smith is busy with life (I have github but not tool server access.). I assume we use "lighttpd" and not "lighttpd-plain" as our webservice. https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Web/Lighttpd Secondly, it appears that our own lighttpd.conf files was having no effect. https://github.com/ms609/citation-bot/blob/master/.lighttpd.conf Is it possible that the lighttpd config file does not get read since the php lives in a subdirectory? If so, do you know if we need "fastcgi.server +=" or "fastcgi.server =" in the file (I commented it out since I did not know and it had no effect anyway). If we made a symbolic link from the home directory to the html directory I assume we could then control the lighttpd.conf file using source control. Thoughts?? Or perhaps you could just make the lighttpd.conf file and restart the server for us. AManWithNoPlan (talk) 22:02, 27 September 2020 (UTC)

Growth team updates #15Edit

10:09, 1 November 2020 (UTC)

Precious anniversaryEdit

Precious
 
Eight years!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 07:57, 10 November 2020 (UTC)

ArbCom 2020 Elections voter messageEdit

 Hello! Voting in the 2020 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23:59 (UTC) on Monday, 7 December 2020. All eligible users are allowed to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2020 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, you may add {{NoACEMM}} to your user talk page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:30, 24 November 2020 (UTC)

Growth team updates #16Edit

14:22, 7 December 2020 (UTC)

Cite Unseen updateEdit

Hello! Thank you for using Cite Unseen. The script recently received a significant update, detailed below.

  • You can now toggle which icons you do or don't want to see. See the configuration section for details. All icons are enabled by default except for the new   generally reliable icon (described below).
  • New categorizations/icons:
    •   Advocacy: Organizations that are engaged in advocacy (anything from political to civil rights to lobbying). Note that an advocacy group can be reliable; this indicator simply serves to note when a source's primary purpose is to advocate for certain positions or policies, which is important to keep in mind when consuming a source.
    •   Editable: Sites that are editable by the public, such as wikis (Wikipedia, Fandom) or some databases (IMDb, Discogs).
    •   Predatory journals: These sites charge publication fees to authors without checking articles for quality and legitimacy.
    • Perennial source categories: Cite Unseen will mark sources as   generally reliable,   marginally reliable,   generally unreliable,   deprecated, and   blacklisted. This is based on Wikipedia's perennial sources list, which reflects community consensus on frequently discussed sources. Sources that have multiple categorizations are marked as   varied reliability. Note that   generally reliable icons are disabled by default to reduce clutter, but you can enable them through your custom config. A special thanks to Newslinger, whose new Sourceror API provides the perennial sources list in a clean, structured format.
  • With the addition of the new categorizations, the   biased source icon has been removed. This category was very broad, and repetitive to the new advocacy and perennial sources categorizations that are more informative.

If you have any feedback, requested features, or domains to add/remove, don't hesitate to bring it up on the script's talk page. Thank you! ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 23:09, 20 December 2020 (UTC)

You are receiving this message as a user of Cite Unseen. If you no longer wish to receive very occasional updates, you may remove yourself from the mailing list.

Hi, I have to present "women in science" on wikipedia on friday 29th of january 2021 at the BNF (French National Library) and I was wondering if I could access your prototype merging WHGI and Denelezeh, as I was planning to use Denelezeh but it is not operational any more. We really need that tool badly again ! Kinf regards Nattes à chat (talk) 21:29, 26 January 2021 (UTC)

Nattes à chat. Congatulations on your talk. It's still really a rough version, but if it's useful to you can access the pre-alpha prototype at [3], if you want statistics last updated in November I think this page should help you [4] . Hope that helps, a full version will come in the first quarter of 2021 some time. Maximilianklein (talk) 22:53, 26 January 2021 (UTC)ng
Thank you, however, nothing concerning women scientists. It is most unfortunate the team did not keep the previuos toll functionning before setting up the new one :/. We were really using it.... Nattes à chat (talk) 08:03, 27 January 2021 (UTC)

Growth team newsletter #17Edit

16:02, 3 March 2021 (UTC)