This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
View over Meschede
|• Mayor||Christoph Weber (CDU)|
|• Total||218.5 km2 (84.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||260 m (850 ft)|
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
One of the five branches of South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences (also: Fachhochschule Südwestfalen (FH SWF)) is located here.
Meschede is situated in the Ruhr valley, near to the Hennesee, south of the nature-park Arnsberger Wald. Major towns in the vicinity of Meschede are Paderborn (51 km), Kassel (85 km), Siegen (57 km), Hagen, Dortmund (60 km) and Hamm (49 km).
Division of the townEdit
After the local government reforms of 1975 Meschede consists of these districts and villages:
In 1921 the Sauerländer Heimatbund was founded.
The city's climate is continental. The lowest temperature recorded was −20 °C (−4 °F), its highest was recorded at 39 °C (102 °F).
Mayors of MeschedeEdit
- 1952–1961: Engelbert Dick (CDU)
- 1961–1969: Josef Busch (CDU)
- 1969–1974: Bruno Peus (CDU)
- 1975–1998: Franz Stahlmecke (CDU)
- 1998–1999: Bruno Peus (CDU)
- 1999–2015: Hans-Ulrich (Uli) Hess (CDU)
- 2015-present: Christoph Weber (CDU)
Meschede has its local radio station Radio Sauerland. The Fachhochschule Südwestfalen runs its own radio station called radioFH!. The regional newspapers are Westfalenpost and Westfälische Rundschau. The local newspaper is the Sauerlandkurier.
- Karl Lehr (1842–1919), mayor of Duisburg
- August Macke (1887–1914), painter
- Ansgar Nierhoff (b. 1941), artist
- Werner Pieper (b. 1948), author
- Klaus-Jürgen Wrede (b. 1963), author of the Carcassonne games
- Matthias Ungemach (b. 1968), Olympic rower
- Armin Petras (b. 1964), theatre director
- Daniela Bette (b. 1981), actress
- Joseph Hippolyt Pulte (6 October 1811 – died in Cincinnati, Ohio, 24 February 1884) was a homeopathic physician.
- Dieter Wurm, chairman of Sauerländer Heimatbund
- Daniel Ceylan (b. 1985), singer, 3rd place in the 2014 season of "Deutschland sucht den Superstar"
- Abbey Königsmünster, built by Order of Saint Benedict
- Hennesee - The Hennesee is a lake near Meschede and the main recreational area of the town. It was built to secure the water supply of the close Ruhrgebiet and is today mainly use to generate hydropower, flood protection and baseflow. Recreational areas are the tanning lawn and bath area, fishing, rowing, sailing, walking and hiking.
Meschede is twinned with:
- Wińsko, Poland, since 1956
- Le Puy-en-Velay, France, since 1975
- Cousolre, France, since 1965 (twin town of Freienohl)
Also unofficial friendly relations exist with the following towns:
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2017" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Sauerländer Heimatbund Archived 2008-05-03 at the Wayback Machine