Wikipedia:List of policies and guidelines
|This page includes a listing of policies and guidelines for English Wikipedia. Policy and guideline pages describe Wikipedia's principles and best-agreed practices. Policies are standards that all users should normally follow, while guidelines are meant to be best practices for following those standards in specific contexts.|
Wikipedia's rules and best practices are specified in two types of documents:
A policy documents a rule or standard with wide acceptance among Wikipedia editors that all users should normally follow.
A guideline is a set of best practices that are supported by the consensus of Wikipedia editors. Editors should attempt to follow guidelines, though they are best treated with common sense. Occasional exceptions may apply. Naming conventions are considered guidelines.
The Five PillarsEdit
The Five Pillars are the five fundamental principles of Wikipedia:
- Large-print links are broad, fundamental policies and guidelines that apply throughout Wikipedia.
- Normal-print links are policies and guidelines that are general in scope but may apply to more specific situations.
- Small-print links are policies and guidelines that are specific to a subject area or process on Wikipedia.
Arbitration Committee: CheckUser and Oversight – Bot Policy – Bureaucrats – CheckUser – Global Rights Policy – IP Block Exemption – Page mover – Office Actions – Open Proxies – Volunteer Response Team
Project content guidelinesEdit
- Community standards and advice – a quick directory of community norms and related guidance essays.
- Advice pages – about advice pages written by WikiProjects.
- Introduction to policies and guidelines – a quick introduction to the major policies and guidelines for very new users.
- Keep in mind – a quick introduction on how to apply policies and guidelines as you go about editing.
- Related essays
- Simplified rule-set – some basic aspect of Wikipedia norms and practices.
- Eight rules for editing – if you start out by following these simple rules, the rest should come naturally.
- Ten rules for editing – Wikipedia can be daunting, but here we provide tips to make editing smoother.
- Trifecta – ultra-fast overview of foundational principles related to policies and guidelines.
- The rules are principles – policies and guidelines exist as rough approximations of their underlying principles.