This page documents a successful proposal regarding the creation of a pseudo-user group.
It is not a policy or guideline, but it does have the support of the community.
A new pseudo-user group is created, and redirects created by users in this "group" be automatically marked as "patrolled" by a bot. Redirects that are turned into articles are automatically added back to the new-pages feed, so this does not create a loophole for the creation of articles without patrolling.
Please see Wikipedia:Redirect to fully understand the purpose and scope of the redirect system and why this is being proposed.
- This is not a "user group" in the technical sense, but rather a list of users whose redirects should be automatically patrolled
- Administrators may "add" users to the "group":
- ...at their own discretion, akin to granting autopatrolled rights
- ...following discussion amongst new page reviewers at Wikipedia talk:New pages patrol/Reviewers (or other designated location) that supports such an addition
- Administrators may "remove" users from the "group":
- ...at their own discretion, akin to revoking autopatrolled rights
- ...at the request of the user
- ...at the request of the bot operator, who would be responsible for the patrols
- ...after discussion amongst new page reviewers at Wikipedia talk:New pages patrol/Reviewers (or other designated location) that suggests that the redirects created by a user may warrant human patrolling
- Users should have an established track record creating uncontroversial redirects
- Some users do not meet the requirements for Wikipedia:Autopatrolled, but have a consistent track record of creating "clean" redirects. By patrolling the redirects (and only the redirects) created by such users automatically, patrollers can dedicate resources elsewhere, focusing primarily on articles.
- Prior to the creation of the autopatrol user right, User:JVbot/patrol whitelist was used to control a bot that would automatically patrol articles created by certain users. A similar set up would be used to control User:DannyS712 bot III, which would automatically patrol redirects created by certain users. Redirects that are later converted into articles are added back to the new pages queue (phab:T223828).
- Should this proposal be adopted, a new fully protected page, similar to the AutoWikiBrowser Check Page, will be used by administrators to direct the bot to patrol the creation of redirects by specific users. A bot (pending approval by WP:BAG) would then, automatically, marking redirects as patrolled if they were created by a user listed on that page.
- Wikipedia talk:New pages patrol/Reviewers/Archive 33#Initial thoughts - autopatrolled redirects - initial proposal
- Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)/Archive 48#New 'Autopatroller' Usergroup - creation of the actual "autopatrolled" group