September 28, 2020
- West.andrew.g, Thanks for a STiki welcome messages. CAPTAIN RAJU (talk)18:42, 02 October 2015 (UTC)
Milhist coordinator election voting has commencedEdit
G'day everyone, voting for the 2020 Wikiproject Military history coordinator tranche is now open. This is a simple approval vote; only "support" votes should be made. Project members should vote for any candidates they support by 23:59 (UTC) on 28 September 2020. Thanks from the outgoing coord team, Peacemaker67 (click to talk to me) 05:17, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
Hello, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to leave me a happy birthday message. That said, from what list did you get my birthday from? i thought I had opted out of such lists a few years ago. hbdragon88 (talk) 01:11, 16 September 2020 (UTC)
Guild of Copy Editors September 2020 NewsletterEdit
|Guild of Copy Editors September 2020 Newsletter
Hello and welcome to the September GOCE newsletter, a brief update of Guild activities since June 2020.
Current and upcoming events
September Drive: Our current backlog-elimination drive is open until 23:59 on 30 September (UTC) and is open to all copy editors. Sign up today!
Election reminder: our end-of-year Election of Coordinators opens for nominations on 1 December. Coordinators normally serve a six-month term and are elected on an approval basis. Self-nominations are welcome. If you've thought of helping out at the Guild, or know of another editor who would make a good coordinator, please consider standing for election or nominating them here.
Drive and Blitz reports
June Blitz: An uncorrected typo (even copy editors make copy editing mistakes!) led to an eight-day "leap blitz" from 14 to 21 June, focusing on requests and articles tagged in May. 19 participating editors claimed 54 copy edits. Final results, including barnstars awarded, are available here.
July Drive: Over 750,000 words of articles were copy edited for this event, keeping pace with the previous three self-isolated drives. Of the 38 people who signed up, 30 copyedited at least one article. Final results and awards are listed here.
August Blitz: From 16 to 22 August, we copy edited articles tagged in June and July 2020 and requests. 12 participating editors completed 37 copy edits on the blitz. Final results, including barnstars awarded, are available here.
June election: Jonesey95 was chosen to continue as lead coordinator, assisted by Baffle gab1978, Tdslk, Twofingered Typist, and first-time coordinator Puddleglum2.0. Reidgreg took a break after serving for a couple years. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Progress report: As of 01:33, 18 September 2020 (UTC), GOCE copyeditors had processed 532 requests since 1 January and there were 38 requests awaiting completion on the Requests page. The backlog of articles tagged for copy-editing stood at 433 (see monthly progress graph above).
Thank you all again for your participation; we wouldn't be able to achieve what we have without you! Cheers from your GOCE coordinators Jonesey95, Baffle gab1978, Puddleglum2.0, Tdslk and Twofingered Typist.
To discontinue receiving GOCE newsletters, please remove your name from our mailing list.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:01, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #434Edit
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
- Upcoming: Online Wikidata Introduction Workshop (German) (September 29)
- Upcoming: live SPARQL queries on Twitch and in French by Vigneron, September 21 at 18:00 CEST
- Upcoming: Next Linked Data for Libraries LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group call: A starting point for newer institutions to think through what is involved in coordinating a Wikidata project, including shared infrastructure, training, and documentation, 22 September. Agenda
- Upcoming video: Wikipedia Weekly Network - LIVE Wikidata editing #21 WikiDojo: Facebook, YouTube, September 25
- Tool of the week
- copy-qid is a user script by Abbe98 that allows you to copy the Qid with one click.
- Did you know?
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: category for the exterior of the item, axle track, Stairway To Hell ID, Oakeshott typology, construction point, turning radius, hill size, bibliography
- External identifiers: Seattle Art Museum ID, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art artwork ID, TV Maze series ID, Barcelona Public art ID, University of Ghana Digital Collections (UGSpace) ID, Istrapedia ID, OnlyFans person ID, Linked Open Data Cloud identifier, The Cutting Room Floor ID, Fatcat ID, China Treaty Database ID, e-GOV law ID, Portugal. Dicionário Histórico ID, past Fellow of the Royal Society ID, Regesta Ecclesiastica Salisburgensia ID, Slack organization ID, Kansas Historic Resources Inventory ID, Historic Montana ID, ITF player ID 2020, BD Gest' series ID, American Battlefield Trust battlefield ID, P8624
- New property proposals to review:
- General datatypes: defining mutations, nombre d'essais marqués, Netflix maturity rating, held event, number of paying subscribers, has census
- External identifiers: Rheinland-Pfälzische Personendatenbank ID, Delft municipal monument ID, identificativo Ministero dell'interno, Dallas Museum of Art ID, Cincinnati Art Museum ID, Energy Identification Code, Wikimedia Chat channel, Symptom Ontology ID, MnDOT Historic Bridges ID, monumentsauxmorts.fr ID, monumentsdememoire.fr ID, Lower Sorbian place name ID, Région Île-de-France ID, Museen Dresden article ID, Turkey's Culture Portal ID, NPS place ID, SSYK 2012
- Query examples:
- WQS now supports mwapi service request for Wikibooks (phab:T261125)
- The language codes lij-mc, ja-Hira, ja-Kana, ja-Hrkt, ja-Hani, ojp, ojp-Hira and ojp-Hani" have been added for use in monolingual text property values (phab:T254968, phab:T195816)
- The language codes de-1901, eo-hsistemo and eo-xsistemo, ja-hira, ja-kana and ja-hrkt have been added for Lexemes (phab:T262330,phab:T257422, phab:T250559)
- P1438 has been converted from string to external ID datatype (phab:T262198)
- Worked on fixing an input issue with invisible characters (phab:T261071)
- Investigating what work would be needed to get the new termbox that's available on mobile to also work on desktop
- Fixing several issues with Special:Undelete (phab:T261747)
- Fixing an error message being shown twice (phab:T260869)
- Starting the coding work on the Query Builder
- Continuing to write a draft for a REST API specification
- Finishing the remaining work needed to get the improved quality scoring for Items deployed to ORES
- Continuing work on WikibaseManifest: Determined the essential metadata that will be included in the WikibaseManifest file, added some new features (mostly MediaWiki metadata) to the Manifest that were requested by the OpenRefine team (phab:T262805 and phab:T262804) and set up a test system that will soon be ready for tool builders to use for testing the integration of their tools with WikibaseManifest
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.
October editathons from Women in RedEdit
--Megalibrarygirl (talk) 15:09, 21 September 2020 (UTC) via MassMessaging
21:26, 21 September 2020 (UTC)
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- There is a new tag for reverted edits. For example you can see it in the recent changes feed or in the article history. It is added to edits when they have been undone, rollbacked or manually reverted to an older version of the page. 
Changes later this week
- The number of times you can do something in a period of time on wiki is limited. This could be the number of edits per minute or the number of users you email in a day. Some users are not affected by all limits because of their user rights. They could soon see the limit even if it does not affect them. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 22 September. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 23 September. It will be on all wikis from 24 September (calendar).
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.
Join the Months of African Cinema Global Contest!Edit
Ýou can opt-out of this annual reminder from The Afrocine Project by removing your username from this list
A discussion is taking place as to whether the article No Strings Attached (1997 film) is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.
The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/No Strings Attached (1997 film) until a consensus is reached, and anyone, including you, is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.
Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article. Donaldd23 (talk) 20:02, 22 September 2020 (UTC)
A discussion is taking place as to whether the article No Strings Attached (1997 film), to which you have significantly contributed, is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or if it should be deleted.
The discussion will take place at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/No Strings Attached (1997 film) until a consensus is reached, and anyone, including you, is welcome to contribute to the discussion. Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article.
To customise your preferences for automated AfD notifications for articles to which you've significantly contributed (or to opt-out entirely), please visit the configuration page. Delivered by SDZeroBot (talk) 01:03, 23 September 2020 (UTC)
This Month in Education: September 2020Edit
(You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future notifications for NYC-area events by adding or removing your name from this list.)
--Wikimedia New York City Team 17:51, 24 September 2020 (UTC)
Thank you for the anniversary wishes—it's hard to believe it's been fifteen years! IceKarmaॐ 02:26, 25 September 2020 (UTC)
A tag has been placed on Category:Afghanistan Premier League squad navigational boxes requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under section C1 of the criteria for speedy deletion, because the category has been empty for seven days or more and is not a disambiguation category, a category redirect, a featured topics category, under discussion at Categories for discussion, or a project category that by its nature may become empty on occasion.
If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be deleted without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. Liz Read! Talk! 16:13, 26 September 2020 (UTC)
The Signpost: 27 September 2020Edit
The Signpost: 27 September 2020Edit