92nd Academy Awards
The 92nd Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), will honor the best films of 2019 and will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. After more than a decade of holding the Academy Award ceremonies in at least late February, the 92nd Academy Awards will be held earlier – on February 9, 2020. During the ceremony, AMPAS will present Academy Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars) in 24 categories. The ceremony will be televised in the United States by ABC, produced by Lynette Howell Taylor and Stephanie Allain, and directed by Glenn Weiss. Citing the success of the format at the 91st presentation in 2019, ABC announced that the ceremony will again be conducted without a host.
|92nd Academy Awards|
|Date||February 9, 2020|
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
|Produced by||Lynette Howell Taylor|
|Directed by||Glenn Weiss|
|Most nominations||Joker (11)|
|TV in the United States|
|Monday, January 27, 2020||Nominees Luncheon|
|Thursday, January 30, 2020||Final voting begins|
|Tuesday, February 4, 2020||Final polls close|
|Sunday, February 9, 2020||92nd Academy Awards presentations|
The nominees for the 92nd Academy Awards were announced on January 13, 2020, at 5:18 a.m. PST (13:18 UTC), at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills, by actors John Cho and Issa Rae.
Honorary Academy AwardsEdit
Films with multiple nominations and awardsEdit
At the 92nd Academy Awards, 53 films received 124 nominations.
|Once Upon a Time in Hollywood|
|4||Ford v Ferrari|
|Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker|
|The Two Popes|
|Pain and Glory|
|Toy Story 4|
During its board of directors meeting in April 2019, the Academy voted to rename the "Best Foreign Language Film" category to "Best International Feature Film". Animated and documentary films will also be eligible for the renamed award (as was the case of Honeyland), but the category will still require nominees to have the majority of their dialogue be in a language other than English.
On January 9, 2020, ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke revealed that the ceremony would once again forego a host, citing the success of the format at the previous ceremony (necessitated by the withdrawal of originally announced host Kevin Hart). Burke promised that the ceremony would feature "huge entertainment values, big musical numbers, comedy and star power".
Box office performance of nominated filmsEdit
|Box office gross|
|The Lion King||1||$543,638,043|
|Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker||3||$478,169,690|
|Toy Story 4||2||$434,038,008|
|How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World||1||$160,799,505|
|Once Upon a Time in Hollywood||10||$141,103,164|
|Maleficent: Mistress of Evil||1||$113,654,087|
|Ford v Ferrari||4||$111,424,605|
|A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood||1||$59,908,011|
|Pain and Glory||2||$4,055,883|
|The Edge of Democracy||1||N/A|
|I Lost My Body||1||N/A|
|In the Absence||1||N/A|
|Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)||1||N/A|
|Life Overtakes Me||1||N/A|
|Nefta Football Club||1||N/A|
|The Neighbors' Window||1||N/A|
|St. Louis Superman||1||N/A|
|The Two Popes||3||N/A|
|Walk Run Cha-Cha||1||N/A|
- 47th Annie Awards
- 73rd British Academy Film Awards
- 25th Critics' Choice Awards
- 77th Golden Globe Awards
- 40th Golden Raspberry Awards
- 23rd Hollywood Film Awards
- 35th Independent Spirit Awards
- 24th Satellite Awards
- 26th Screen Actors Guild Awards
- 74th Tony Awards
- List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film
- "Key Dates for the 92nd Oscars Announced". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. September 5, 2018. Archived from the original on January 14, 2019. Retrieved March 2, 2019.
- Wilkinson, Alissa (August 8, 2018). "The Oscars are adding a category for "popular films"". Vox. Archived from the original on July 16, 2019. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
Beginning in 2020, the Oscars will be held about two weeks earlier than usual. The 2019 ceremony is still scheduled for February 24; the 2020 ceremony will be held on February 9
- Pedersen, Erik (November 15, 2019). "Oscars: Lynette Howell-Taylor & Stephanie Allain To Produce 92nd Academy Awards". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 15, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 8, 2020). "The Oscar Telecast Won't Have Traditional Host For Second Straight Year – TCA". Deadline. Archived from the original on January 11, 2020. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "THE ACADEMY TO HONOR GEENA DAVIS, DAVID LYNCH, WES STUDI AND LINA WERTMÜLLER AT 2019 GOVERNORS AWARDS". Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. June 3, 2019. Archived from the original on October 28, 2019. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "Oscar Nominations 2020-Vanity Fair". Archived from the original on January 13, 2020. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "Oscar Nominations 2020 Announcement Date & Time". Oscars. Archived from the original on January 12, 2020. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "The full list of 2020 Oscar nominations". Guardian. January 14, 2020. Archived from the original on January 14, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- "Honeyland". International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam. Archived from the original on January 13, 2020. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "THE ACADEMY TO HONOR GEENA DAVIS, DAVID LYNCH, WES STUDI AND LINA WERTMÜLLER AT 2019 GOVERNORS AWARDS". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- Kay, Jeremy. "Academy leaves Netflix eligibility rule intact, changes name of foreign language category". Screen. Archived from the original on April 24, 2019. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt (April 24, 2019). "Netflix Can Chill: Academy Rules No Change in Streaming Oscar Eligibility". Variety. Archived from the original on April 24, 2019. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "Foreign Language Film Award Renamed 'International Feature Film Award'". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. April 23, 2019. Archived from the original on July 11, 2019. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 8, 2020). "The Oscar Telecast Won't Have Traditional Host For Second Straight Year – TCA". Deadline. Archived from the original on January 11, 2020. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Taylor, Derrick Bryson (January 9, 2020). "Who's Hosting the Oscars in 2020? No One". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on January 11, 2020. Retrieved January 11, 2020.