Zazie Olivia Beetz (/ / zə-SEE BAYTS; German: [zaˈsiː ˈbeːts]) is a German-American actress. She stars in the FX comedy-drama series Atlanta (2016–present), for which she received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. She also appeared in the Netflix anthology series Easy (2016–19).
Beetz at the 2018 San Diego Comic-Con
Zazie Olivia Beetz
|Nationality|| United States|
|Alma mater||Skidmore College|
In film, Beetz has appeared in the disaster film Geostorm (2017), and has played the Marvel Comics character Domino in the superhero film Deadpool 2 (2018) and Arthur Fleck/Joker's neighbor in the psychological thriller Joker (2019).
Zazie Olivia Beetz was born in Berlin. Her father is a German cabinet maker who immigrated to the United States in 1990 after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and her mother is an African-American social worker from New York. Her parents separated when she was very young. Beetz was named after the titular character in the Raymond Queneau novel Zazie in the Metro. The pronunciation, with [s], follows the German-dubbed version of the 1960 film adaptation of the novel.
Beetz attended school in Berlin until moving with her family to New York City at age eight, speaking both German and English with her family at home. Growing up in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood, she became interested in acting while attending Muscota New School and performed in community theaters and on local stages. She graduated from the LaGuardia Arts High School in 2009, and attended Skidmore College, graduating in 2013 with a bachelor's degree in French. She spent a year living in Paris.
|2013||The Crocotta||The Crocotta||Eric Stumpf||Short film|
|2014||Beasts||Ally||Axel Öhman||Short film|
|2015||James White||Girl #1||Josh Mond|
|Double Bind||Baily||Ted Day||Short film|
|5th & Palisade||Detective McBride||Chad Scarborough||Short film|
|MBFF: Man's Best Friend Forever||Ivana||Tony Ducret||Short film|
|2017||Sollers Point||Courtney||Matthew Porterfield|
|2018||Dead Pigs||Angie||Cathy Yan|
|Deadpool 2||Domino||David Leitch|
|High Flying Bird||Sam||Steven Soderbergh|
|Seberg||Dorothy Jamal||Benedict Andrews|
|Joker||Sophie Dumond||Todd Phillips|
|Lucy in the Sky||Erin Eccles||Noah Hawley|
|2020||Nine Days||Emma||Edson Oda|
|TBA||Still Here||Keysha||Vlad Feier||Post-production|
|TBA||Extinct||Courtney||David Silverman||Voice role, in production|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2016||Margot vs. Lily||Allie||Miniseries;|
|2016–present||Atlanta||Vanessa "Van" Keefer||10 episodes|
|2019||The Twilight Zone||Sophie Gelson||Episode: "Blurryman"|
- Beetz, Zazie (October 5, 2019). "zah-SEE • oh-LIV-ee-uh • bates • ("Zazie" having the cadence of "marie" or "the sea", "Beetz" having a soft "e" sound- just like how we…". Instagram. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- Back to the Source with Zazie Beetz. Mountain Valley Spring Water. January 17, 2018. Retrieved May 22, 2018 – via YouTube.
- Feldman, Dana. "Emmy Nominations 2018: The Full List".
- Friedlander, Whitney (July 2, 2015). "Donald Glover's FX Pilot 'Atlanta' Adds More Leads". Variety.
- Nellie Andreeva (March 14, 2016). "Netflix Sets Joe Swanberg Anthology Series 'Easy'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on April 2, 2019.
- "Candidates For Degrees Bachelor Of Arts" (PDF). Saratoga Springs, New York: Skidmore College.
- Johnson, Zoe (October 8, 2018). "5 Things We Learned From Chance The Rapper's Interview on Joe Budden Podcast". Vibe. Archived from the original on August 6, 2019.
- "A ufgewachsen mit KiKa und Opas Spätzle / Growing up with KiKa and Grandpa Spaetzle" (in German). Germany: Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg. May 18, 2018. Archived from the original on April 15, 2019.
Meine Eltern haben sich getrennt, als ich noch ganz klein war. / My parents separated when I was very young.
- "Zazie Beetz: Atlanta In Brooklyn". NPR. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Hooton, Christopher (June 28, 2018). "Zazie Beetz: 'My German identity is really important to me'". The Independent. UK. Archived from the original on June 16, 2019.
My dad is German, he was born in East Germany, and then after the [Berlin] Wall was brought down he came to the States for the first time and met my mom. They got pregnant in Germany, got married, stayed and had me there and then when I was 8 years old we moved to the States more permanently. But I was back and forth growing up, I went to pre-school over there but did all my proper schooling in New York.
- Shiffman, Allyson (September 6, 2016). "Zazie Beetz Talks Donald Glover's New TV Series 'Atlanta'". Nylon. ISSN 1524-1750. Archived from the original on September 8, 2016.
- Davis, Allison P. "Zazie Beetz on Deadpool, Atlanta, and Overcoming Her Anxiety". The Cut. New York. Archived from the original on April 15, 2019. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
Her father is white and German, and her mother a black New Yorker, who wanted her daughter to grow up seeing other people who looked like her. Though the family lived in Washington Heights, Beetz spent a couple of months of every summer in Germany with her grandparents.
- Nepales, Janet Susan R. (May 20, 2018). "'Deadpool 2' cast opens up". GMA News Online. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- Rivera, Natalie (May 19, 2018). "You've DEFINITELY Seen Deadpool 2's Domino Actress Before". PopSugar. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- Beetz, Zazie. "About". Zazie Beetz Squarespace account. Archived from the original on April 1, 2014.
- Boucher, Geoff (March 8, 2019). "'The Twilight Zone': Zazie Beetz And Betty Gabriel Step Into CBS All-Access Series". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 27, 2019.