The Lion King (2019 film)
The Lion King is an upcoming American animated epic musical drama film film, directed and co-produced by Jon Favreau, produced by Walt Disney Pictures, and written by Jeff Nathanson. It is the remake of Disney's 1994 animated film of the same name and inspired in part by William Shakespeare's Hamlet. The film stars the voices of Donald Glover, James Earl Jones, Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, John Oliver, Alfre Woodard, John Kani. It is set to be released on July 19, 2019.
|The Lion King|
|Directed by||Jon Favreau|
|Screenplay by||Jeff Nathanson|
|Based on||Disney's The Lion King
by Irene Mecchi
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
On September 28, 2016, Walt Disney Pictures confirmed that Jon Favreau would be directing a fast-tracked remake of the 1994 animated film The Lion King, which would feature the songs from the 1994 film, following a string of recent box office successes on the other Disney live-action fantasy films such as Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast. Later on October 13, 2016, it was reported that Disney had hired Jeff Nathanson to write the screenplay for the remake. In November 2016, talking with ComingSoon.net, Favreau said the virtual reality technology he used in The Jungle Book would be used to a greater degree in The Lion King.
In February 2017, Donald Glover was cast as Simba, with James Earl Jones reprising his role as Mufasa from the 1994 film. WWE wrestlers Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods of The New Day indicated their interest in providing voices in the film. In March 2017, it was announced that Beyoncé was Favreau's top choice for the role of Nala and that the director and studio would be willing to do whatever it took to accommodate her busy schedule.
In April 2017, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen were cast to play Timon and Pumbaa respectively. In July 2017, John Oliver was cast as Zazu. In August 2017, Alfre Woodard and John Kani were announced to play Sarabi and Rafiki, respectively. Chiwetel Ejiofor is currently in talks to provide the voice of Scar. Beyoncé has also reportedly entered final negotiations to play Nala and contribute the soundtrack as well.
The Lion King is scheduled to be released on July 19, 2019.
- "Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on "The Lion King" - The Walt Disney Company". The Walt Disney Company. September 28, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (October 13, 2016). "Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lion King’ Taps Jeff Nathanson As Writer". Deadline. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- Busch, Jenna (November 30, 2016). "Live-Action Lion King Movie to Use VR Tech". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Donald Glover, James Earl Jones cast in Disney's live-action "Lion King"". CNN. February 17, 2017.
- "WWE’s The New Day lobbying for The Lion King roles". flickeringmyth. February 21, 2017. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Beyoncé Top Choice to Voice Nala in ‘Lion King’ Remake (Exclusive)". Variety. March 30, 2017. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- "Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner to Play Pumbaa and Timon in ‘Lion King’ (Exclusive)". TheWrap. April 25, 2017. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Donnelly, Matt (July 10, 2017). "John Oliver Joins Disney's Live-Action "The Lion King"". TheWrap. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (August 7, 2017). "Alfre Woodard Joins Disney's 'The Lion King' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 8, 2017.
- Gonzalez, Umberto; Verhoeven, Beatrice (August 7, 2017). "‘Lion King’ Rafiki Casting: John Kani, ‘Civil War’ Star, to Play Wise Baboon (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (August 2, 2017). "Chiwetel Ejiofor in Talks to Voice Scar in Disney's 'Lion King'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- BWW News Desk (July 31, 2017). "Will Beyonce Join The Lion King Remake with A Starring Role and a Soundtrack?". Broadway World. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Lammers, Timothy (March 18, 2017). "Disney's Live-Action The Lion King Starts Production This Summer". Screen Rant. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Giardina, Carolyn (July 15, 2017). "'Lion King': Disney Unveils Jaw-Dropping First Footage Of Jon Favreau's Remake at D23". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Lesnick, Silas (April 25, 2017). "Disney Movie Release Schedule Gets a Major Update". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved April 25, 2017.