Corpus Christi (2019 film)
Corpus Christi (Polish: Boże Ciało) is a 2019 Polish drama film directed by Jan Komasa and written by Mateusz Pacewicz. It premiered at 2019 Venice Film Festival Venice Days section. It was also shown in the Contemporary World Cinema section at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival. At Venice Days, the film won the Europa Cinemas Label Award and the Edipo Re Inclusion Award. It was also selected as the Polish entry for the Best International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards, making the final nomination.
|Directed by||Jan Komasa|
|Written by||Mateusz Pacewicz|
|Music by||Evgueni GalperineSacha Galperine|
|Cinematography||Piotr Sobociński Jr.|
|Edited by||Przemyslaw Chruscielewski|
|Distributed by||Kino Świat|
|Box office||$8.6 million|
Daniel has a spiritual awakening while serving his sentence in a youth detention center for second-degree murder, but his criminal background prevents him from becoming a priest once he is released. After escaping the youth detention center, he pretends to be a priest. He loves what he does and acts according to his religious calling. In a small parish, where he is stationed, the parishioners like him and he provides sacramental ministry regularly. Not long after his past catches up with him, his newfound vocation is in peril.
Corpus Christi was nominated for Best International Film at the 92nd Academy Awards. The film also won 11 Polish Academy Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Script, Best Actor. The film also won ten awards at the Gdynia Film Festival, including Best Director, Best Script, Journalists’ Award and Audience Award. It won the Silver Star and Best Actor Award for Bartosz Bielenia at the El Gouna Film Festival, and a Special Mention at the Reykjavik International Film Festival. At Luxembourg's CinEast, the film won the Special Jury Prize and the Critics' Prize. Bartosz Bielenia also won the award for Best Actor at the Chicago International Film Festival and Stockholm International Film Festival. He also won the Shooting Stars Award for the most promising up-and-coming European actor.
- Allan Hunter (29 August 2019). "'Corpus Christi': Venice Review". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 6 February 2020.
- "Corpus Christi". TIFF. Retrieved 6 February 2020.
- Barraclough, Leo; Barraclough, Leo (7 December 2019). "Poland's Oscar Entry 'Corpus Christi' Scores at Home and in International Markets".
- Grynienko, Katarzyna (1 January 1970). "PRODUCTION: Jan Komasa Shoots Corpus Christi". FilmNewEurope.com.
- "Corpus Christi". Box Office Mojo.
- "Jan Komasa's Corpus Christi enters post-production". Cineuropa. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- autori, Giornate degli. "BOŻE CIAŁO". giornatedegliautori.com.
- Vivarelli, Nick (23 July 2019). "Transgender Immigrant Pic 'Lingua Franca,' Thriller 'Only Beasts' to Bow at Venice Days". Variety. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Toronto Adds The Aeronauts, Mosul, Seberg, & More To Festival Slate". Deadline. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- autori, Giornate degli. "GdA audiences vote in Arab Blues.The Label goes to Corpus Christi". giornatedegliautori.com (in Italian). Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "VENEZIA 76 - Il Premio Edipo Re a "Corpus Christi" - CinemaItaliano.info". www.cinemaitaliano.info (in Italian). Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "Biennale Cinema 2019 | Collateral Awards of the 76th Venice Film Festival". La Biennale di Venezia. 7 September 2019. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- Barraclough, Leo. "Toronto Entry Corpus Christi Selected as Poland's Candidate in Oscar Race". Variety. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "10 Films Make Shortlist for Oscars' Best International Film". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- "11 Polish Eagles have landed for Corpus Christi". Cineuropa - the best of european cinema. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- Franklin, Anna (1 January 1970). "FNE at Gdynia Polish Film Festival 2019: Prize Winners". FilmNewEurope.com. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "Egypt's week-long film festival concludes with 224,000-USD awards announced - Xinhua | English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 28 September 2019.
- "The prized and the popular films at RIFF are screened today, Sunday – RIFF". riff.is. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Oleg and Corpus Christi triumph at Luxembourg's 12th CinÉast Film Festival". Cineuropa - the best of european cinema. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Stamets, Bill (25 October 2019). "Chicago International Film Festival awards top prize to French love story Portrait of a Lady on Fire". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Polish actor wins Best Actor award at Stockholm film festival". Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Corpus Christi actor Bartosz Bielenia joins thespian A-list after being awarded European Shooting Stars 2020". Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "CORPUS CHRISTI (BOZE CIALO)". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2 March 2020.