Life Overtakes Me
Life Overtakes Me (Swedish: De apatiska barnen; English: The Apathetic Children) is a 2019 Swedish-American documentary film directed by Kristine Samuelson and John Haptas. The film shows how hundreds of refugee children in Sweden withdraw into a coma-like illness called Resignation Syndrome because of the uncertainties of their legal status.
|Life Overtakes Me|
|Directed by||Kristine Samuelson|
|Country||Sweden, United States|
According to witnesses cited by the Swedish magazine Filter, one of the children profiled in the film was pressured by her parents to simulate resignation syndrome for the express purpose of improving the family's prospects for permanent residence status in Sweden. The witnesses insisted that the girl had in fact been a well-functioning, normal child who was coached into faking her illness when doctors and officials were present.
After Filter's report, Sweden's public television network, SVT, launched its own investigation into the case. The witnesses repeated what they had told Filter about the case being a hoax. SVT also cited Swedish pediatrician Karl Sallin as saying that the filmmakers had cherry-picked phrases from interviews with him in a "reckless and dangerous" fashion, distorting his view of the situation.
- "'Life Overtakes Me' explores the mysterious illness afflicting refugee children". The Daily Dot. July 9, 2019.
- "Life Overtakes Me Review: No Child Deserves This". Ready Steady Cut. July 9, 2019.
- "life overtakes me". The Review Geek. July 9, 2019.
- "Stream It Or Skip It: 'Life Overtakes Me' On Netflix, A Documentary About Refugee Children Who Shut Down When Faced With Deportation". Decider. July 9, 2019.
- "»Det är som en instruktionsfilm för att göra barn illa«". Magasinet Filter (in Swedish). 2020-02-05. Retrieved 2020-02-05.
- Rudolfsson, Philip; Salihu, Diamant (2020-02-05). "Oscarsnominerad dokumentär om apatiska barn målas ut som bluff". SVT Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved 2020-02-05.
|This article about a short documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|