1917 (2019 film)
1917 is an upcoming British-American war film directed by Sam Mendes and co-written by Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns. It stars George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, with Colin Firth, and Benedict Cumberbatch.
|Directed by||Sam Mendes|
|Music by||Thomas Newman|
|Edited by||Lee Smith|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
The film is based in part on an account told to Mendes by his paternal grandfather, Alfred Mendes, and is scheduled to be released on in the United States on December 25, 2019, before opening across North America and United Kingdom on January 10, 2020, by Universal Pictures.
At the height of the First World War during Spring 1917 in northern France, two young British soldiers, Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman), are given a seemingly impossible mission to deliver a message which will warn of an ambush during one of the skirmishes soon after the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich. The two recruits race against time, crossing enemy territory to deliver the warning and keep a British battalion of 1,600 men, which includes Blake's own brother, from walking into a deadly trap. The pair must give their all to accomplish their mission by surviving the war to end all wars.
- George MacKay as Pte. Schofield
- Dean-Charles Chapman as Pte. Blake
- Mark Strong
- Andrew Scott as Lt. Leslie
- Richard Madden as Lt. Blake
- Claire Duburcq
- Colin Firth
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Daniel Mays
- Adrian Scarborough as Major Hepburn
- Jamie Parker
- Elliot Baxter as Private Singer
- Nabhaan Rizwan
- Daniel McMillon
- George Verrall
Amblin Partners and New Republic Pictures were announced to have acquired the project, which will be set in World War I, with Sam Mendes directing and writing the screenplay alongside Krysty Wilson-Cairns. The story is based around a "fragment" Alfred Mendes had told to his grandson, the director of 1917, Sam Mendes. In August 2019, Mendes was quoted as saying "It's the story of a messenger who has a message to carry. And that's all I can say. It lodged with me as a child, this story or this fragment, and obviously I've enlarged it significantly. But it has that at its core."
Tom Holland was reported to be in talks for the film in September 2018, and in October, Roger Deakins was reported to be reuniting with Mendes to serve as cinematographer on the film. George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman entered negotiations to star in the film that same month. Thomas Newman was hired to compose the score for the film in March 2019. That same month, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Richard Madden, Andrew Scott, Daniel Mays, Adrian Scarborough, Jamie Parker, Nabhaan Rizwan and Claire Duburcq joined the cast of the film.
Filming began on April 1, 2019, and continued through June 2019 in Wiltshire, Hankley Common and Govan, Scotland, as well as Shepperton Studios. Concern was raised over the planned filming on Salisbury Plain by conservationists who felt the production could disturb potentially undiscovered remains in the area, requesting a survey be conducted before any construction for sets begin on the land.
Sections of the film were also shot in and around Low Force, on the River Tees, Teesdale in June 2019. The production staff had to install signs warning walkers in the area not be alarmed by the bodies strewn around the site as they were prosthetic.
It is scheduled for limited release on December 25, 2019 and wide release on January 10, 2020.
- "Spielberg called it "hugely ambitious," '1917' Movie Trailer is Finally Out". WarHistoryOnline. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "Sam Mendes war film 1917 is based on heroics and sex life of director's grandad". The Sun. 11 August 2019. Archived from the original on 13 August 2019. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Breznican, Anthony (30 September 2019). "World War I Drama 1917 Will Play as One Continuous Shot". Vanity Fair.
- Nash, Brad (7 August 2019). "Sam Mendes' 1917 Is Your Latest Dose Of British Stiff Upper-Lip". GQ. Archived from the original on 15 August 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Reyes, Mike (1 August 2019). "1917 Trailer: See Sam Mendes' Pulse Pounding New War Movie". CINEMABLEND. Archived from the original on 15 August 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (18 June 2018). "Amblin, Sam Mendes Set WWI Drama '1917' As His First Directing Effort Since James Bond Pics 'Spectre' & 'Skyfall'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 31 March 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Moore, Matthew (7 August 2019). "Mendes epic is a personal battle". The Times (72, 919). p. 3. ISSN 0140-0460.
- Zinski, Dan (5 September 2018). "Tom Holland In Talks To Star In Sam Mendes' WWI Drama 1917". ScreenRant. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (24 October 2018). "Oscar-Winning 'Blade Runner 2049' Cinematographer Roger Deakins Might Reunite With Sam Mendes For WWI Movie '1917'". Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (26 October 2018). "George MacKay, 'GOT's Dean-Charles Chapman In Talks For Leads In Sam Mendes WWI Pic '1917'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Thomas Newman to Score Sam Mendes' '1917'". Film Music Reporter. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (28 March 2019). "Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch Join Sam Mendes' WWI Movie '1917'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "Chance to star in Hollywood movie filming in Wiltshire". Spire FM. 4 January 2019. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "World War One film to begin production on Hankley Common". Eagle Radio. 18 February 2019. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Diamond, Claire (19 February 2019). "Spielberg movie wants to film in Glasgow". Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019 – via www.bbc.com.
- Marc, Christopher (11 December 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Sam Mendes' '1917' Adds 'Skyfall/Blade Runner 2049' Production Designer and 'Atonement' Art Director – Confirmed To Shoot At Shepperton Studios". Archived from the original on 2 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Pulver, Andrew (6 February 2019). "Spielberg and Mendes Stonehenge war film plans hit by locals' objections". Archived from the original on 2 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (28 March 2019). "Sam Mendes' '1917' Nears Production: Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch & More Join Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Chapman, Hannah, ed. (26 June 2019). "Spielberg's new drama filmed in Teesdale warns of prosthetic bodies". The Northern Echo. p. 6. ISSN 2043-0442.
- Giardina, Carolyn (30 September 2019)."New Video Shows How Sam Mendes, Roger Deakins Shot '1917' to Appear as One Continuous Take" HollywoodReporter.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Evangelista, Chris (30 September 2019). "'1917' Featurette Teases a War Epic Told in One Continuous Shot" Slashfilm.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (13 December 2018). "Universal Dates Sam Mendes' '1917' For Christmas 2019". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 4 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.