Storyteller Distribution Co., LLC, doing business as Amblin Partners, is an American entertainment company that is the successor to the live-action counterpart of DreamWorks and a production company, led by Steven Spielberg, that develops and produces films under the Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks Pictures banners, as well as television series through Amblin Television. The company's investment partners include Reliance Group's Reliance Entertainment, Hasbro's Entertainment One, Alibaba Group's Alibaba Pictures and NBCUniversal/Comcast's Universal Pictures. Films produced by Amblin Partners are mostly distributed by Universal in North America and select international territories and by third-party distributors through Mister Smith Entertainment in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
|Founded||December 16, 2015|
Universal City, California,
Amblin Partners was founded by Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll of Participant Media, Anil Ambani of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group and Darren Throop of Entertainment One on December 16, 2015. The company will primarily focus on producing and distributing films and television using the DreamWorks Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Participant Media brands. For films, it uses the original DreamWorks label for mature content, Amblin label for family-friendly content, and Participant label for social justice content, although the latter remains a separate company.
On the same day as the company's formation, Amblin Partners announced that it entered into a five-year distribution deal with Universal Pictures by which the films would be distributed and marketed by either the main Universal banner or its specialty label, Focus Features. The Girl on the Train was the first film released under the deal. Mister Smith Entertainment, which began its international distribution deal with DreamWorks in 2012, continues to handle distribution sales for Amblin Partners in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
On October 9, 2016, Amblin Partners struck a deal with China's Alibaba Pictures, in which Alibaba acquired a minority equity stake in the company and will handle marketing, distribution support and merchandising of Amblin Partners films in China in addition to co-financing Amblin and DreamWorks films worldwide. On February 15, 2017, Comcast's Universal acquired a minority stake in Amblin Partners, strengthening the relationship between Universal and Amblin.
On August 22, 2019, Hasbro announced that it would acquire Entertainment One for at least $4 billion. The acquisition was completed on December 30, 2019, resulting in the toy company inheriting eOne's stake in Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks Pictures. On May 5, 2020, Amblin renewed its deal with Nordisk Film. In November 2020, Amblin Partners renewed its distribution deal with Universal, which continues to be an equity stake holder. That same month however, Participant terminated its equity stake in Amblin Partners, ending its relationship with the company.
|Title||Release date||Label||Other production companies||Film distributor|
|Stillwater||July 30, 2021||DreamWorks Pictures and Participant Media||Anonymous Content, Slow Pony and 3dot Productions||Focus Features|
|BIOS||August 20, 2021||Amblin Entertainment||ImageMovers, Dutch Angle, Playtone, Alibaba Pictures, and Misher Films||Universal Pictures|
|West Side Story||December 10, 2021||Amblin Entertainment and Reliance Entertainment||N/A||20th Century Studios|
|The Color Purple||December 20, 2023||Amblin Entertainment||Harpo Films and Scott Sanders Productions||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Easter Sunday||Rideback||Universal Pictures|
|The Good House||TriBeCa Productions and FilmNation Entertainment|
|The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara||DreamWorks Pictures and Amblin Entertainment||TBA|
|Last Voyage of the Demeter||TBA||TBA|
|Title||Label||Other production companies||Film distributor|
|Blackhawk||Amblin Entertainment||DC Films||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Cheshire Crossing||TBA||Michael De Luca Productions||TBA|
- Frater, Patrick (October 9, 2016). "Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners Inks Strategic Pact With Alibaba Pictures". Variety. Retrieved February 24, 2017.
- Perry, Spencer (February 15, 2017). "Universal Studios Buys a Minority Stake in Amblin Partners". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Reliance Entertainment and Entertainment One Form Amblin Partners, a New Film, Television and Digital Content Creation Company". Participant. December 16, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2021.
- Lang, Brent (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Bring Amblin Partners to Universal". Variety. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (November 4, 2016). "AFM: Mister Smith Pacts Power its Picture Pipeline". Variety. Retrieved August 27, 2020.
- Cieply, Michael (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks Studios in Deal to Form New Company". The New York Times. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- "Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks Relaunches as Amblin Partners". The Wall Street Journal. December 16, 2015. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- Busch, Anita (December 16, 2015). "It's Official: Spielberg, DreamWorks, Participant, eOne, Others Pact For Amblin Partners". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Pamela McClintock; Gregg Kilday (December 16, 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Team to Form Amblin Partners, Strike Distribution Deal With Universal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- Fritz, Ben (August 29, 2012). "DreamWorks replaces Disney with new international partner". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 27, 2020.
- Faughnder, Ryan. "Universal buys minority stake in Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners". latimes.com. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Lieberman, David (February 15, 2017). "Universal Buys Minority Stake In Amblin Partners". Deadline. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- "Amblin Partners Inks Exclusive Music-Publishing Deal With BMG". December 18, 2017.
- Low, Elaine (August 22, 2019). "Hasbro Acquires Entertainment One in $4 Billion All-Cash Deal". Variety. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Kay, Jeremy (May 5, 2020). "Amblin Partners, Nordisk Film renew distribution pact". Screen. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Lang, Brent (November 30, 2020). "Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners Extends Deal With Universal". Variety. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- Hermanns, Grant (September 27, 2018). "How to Train Your Dragon 3 Release Date Moved Up One Week". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Douglas, Edward (February 12, 2018). "Amblin Partners, Picture Co. Turning Jacob Chase Horror Short "Larry" into Feature". The Tracking Board. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- Matt Damon To Star In ‘Stillwater’ Film With Tom McCarthy Attached To Direct
- Abigail Breslin Joins Matt Damon in ‘Stillwater’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Participant Media Ups Jeannine Tang To General Counsel
- "Naomi Scott to Star in Sci-Fi Amblin Movie 'Distant'". The Hollywood Reporter. August 4, 2020. Retrieved January 21, 2021.
- Galuppo, Mia (February 18, 2020). "Amblin and Rideback Team for Jo Koy Comedy 'Easter Sunday' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 20, 2021.
- Kit, Borys (February 16, 2021). "Jay Chandrasekhar to Direct Family Comedy 'Easter Sunday' for Amblin (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 20, 2021.
- Sigourney Weaver & Kevin Kline Reteam For Amblin Partners' 'The Good House'
- Masters, Kim (June 16, 2016). "Steven Spielberg on DreamWorks' Past, Amblin's Present and His Own Future". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (April 11, 2016). "Mark Rylance to Reteam With Steven Spielberg in 'The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara'". Variety. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (January 27, 2021). "Corey Hawkins To Star In 'Last Voyage Of The Demeter' For Amblin And André Øvredal". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2021.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 17, 2018). "Steven Spielberg Set To Produce His First DC Film 'Blackhawk' With Eye On Directing". Deadline. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (November 15, 2019). "Amblin, Michael De Luca Tackling 'Martian' Author's Fantasy Graphic Novel 'Cheshire Crossing' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2019.