This article needs to be updated.April 2021)(
Gary Roger Rydstrom
June 29, 1959
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Life and careerEdit
Rydstrom was born in Chicago. He graduated from the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts in 1981. He began his career at Skywalker Sound, Northern California in 1983. Offered the job by a college professor, he received the opportunity to work with his mentor, Star Wars sound designer Ben Burtt.
After gaining invaluable experience as a sound technician in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Rydstrom went on to do sound design for the comedy Spaceballs. The sound design for Backdraft, prepared from scratch, would become the precursor for his sound for Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The original sound effects from Backdraft are constantly referenced and have been used for numerous other films including The Lord of the Rings film trilogy and Shrek.
He won an Academy Award for his work on Terminator 2: Judgment Day, for which he pioneered techniques still used today for creating realistic sound effects. Rydstrom also worked with Terminator 2 director James Cameron on a new 5.1 surround mix for the original Terminator.
His sound work on Jurassic Park led to further innovations, as he and his team set out to create dinosaur sounds by mixing together numerous different animal vocalizations to make the audience feel as though giant bellowing prehistoric beasts surrounded them. The Oscar-winning film was the first motion picture to be presented in DTS.
He subsequently went on to work on sound for numerous films including Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report and Finding Nemo. He won an MPSE lifetime achievement award, and regularly speaks at various sound design forums sharing his extensive knowledge and enthusiasm with aspiring sound design artists.
He made his directorial debut with the Pixar short Lifted, for which he received his fourteenth Academy Award nomination. It was included in the Animation Show of Shows in 2006. His debut feature film for the studio, Newt, has been cancelled. He has also directed the Pixar short Hawaiian Vacation and the Lucasfilm animated feature Strange Magic.
Rydstrom has also served as English language director on Tales From Earthsea, Arrietty, From Up on Poppy Hill, and The Wind Rises, all four films were produced by Japanese animation company Studio Ghibli.
Awards and nominationsEdit
Gary Rydstrom has been nominated for 19 Academy Awards (7 wins), 12 Golden Reel Awards (5 wins), 5 C.A.S Awards (2 wins), and 5 BAFTA Awards (2 wins).
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) audio technician
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) audio technician
- Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) foley
- Luxo Jr. (1986) sound designer
- Red's Dream (1986) sound designer
- Spaceballs (1987) sound designer
- Colors (1987) sound designer
- Captain EO (1987) sound designer
- Technological Threat (1988) sound designer
- Tin Toy (1988) sound designer
- Willow (1988) foley artist
- Always (1989) re-recording mixer
- Knick Knack (1989) sound designer
- Mars Navigator (1990) sound design/re-recording mixer (interactive video)
- The Neon Empire (1991) re-recording mixer
- F/X 2 (1991) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Backdraft (1991) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Single White Female (1992) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Jurassic Park (1993) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Baby's Day Out (1994) sound design/rerecording mixer
- My Family (1995) sound designer (uncredited)
- Casper (1995) sound design
- Toy Story (1995) sound design/rerecording mixer
- Strange Days (1995) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Mission: Impossible (1996) re-recording mixer
- James and the Giant Peach (1996) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Hercules (1997) re-recording mixer/sound designer
- Titanic (1997) effects re-recording mixer, sound designer (uncredited in favor of Christopher Boyes)
- A Bug's Life (1998) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Saving Private Ryan (1998) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999) re-recording mixer
- Toy Story 2 (1999) sound design/re-recording mixer
- The Terminator (1984, 2000s DVD release) sound design consultant: audio restoration and re-mixing
- 102 Dalmatians (2000) sound design consultant/re-recording mixer
- Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport (2000) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) re-recording mixer/sound designer and supervisor/supervising sound editor
- Monsters, Inc. (2001) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Punch-Drunk Love (2002) sound design consultant/re-recording mixer
- Finding Nemo (2003) sound designer/supervising sound editor/re-recording mixer
- Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003) sound designer
- Hulk (2003) sound design/re-recording mixer
- Peter Pan (2003) sound designer/supervising sound mixer
- Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004) special thanks
- Lifted (2006) director/writer/sound
- Tales from Earthsea (2010) director/ADR director (English-language version)
- Hawaiian Vacation (2011) director, screenplay
- Bully (2011) sound designer
- Super 8 (2011) additional sound design
- The Adventures of Tintin (2011) Sound Consultant
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- War Horse (2011) sound designer/supervising sound editor/re-recording mixer
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) voice director
- The Secret World of Arrietty (2012) director (American English-language version)
- Brave (2012) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Wreck-it Ralph (2012) sound designer, sound supervisor (uncredited)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2013) director (English-language version)
- The Wind Rises (2014) director (English-language version)
- The Face of Love (2014) Sound Consultant
- Strange Magic (2015) director, screenplay
- Jurassic World (2015) consulting sound designer
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) re-recording mixer
- Ready Player One (2018) re-recording mixer
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) sound designer
- Foster (2019) sound designer
- Ad Astra (2019) re-recording mixer
- West Side Story (2021) sound designer/re-recording mixer
- Notable Alumni Archived February 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine, USC School of Cinematic Arts, Accessed August 10, 2008.
- "When dinosaurs ruled the cinema: remembering "Jurassic Park" on its 25th anniversary". thedigitalbits.com. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Desowitz, Bill (2015-01-23). "Immersed in Movies: Gary Rydstrom Talks 'Strange Magic' as Animated Rock Opera". IndieWire. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- Freer, Ian (2016-07-29). "Before Finding Dory there was Newt: the Pixar movie that got away". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- "Oscars 2016: Full list of nominees". Oscars. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Oscars 2013: Full list of nominees". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "The 84th Academy Awards (2012) Nominees". oscars.org. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "The 72nd Academy Awards (2000) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "The 71st Academy Awards (1999) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "The 70th Academy Awards (1998) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "The 66th Academy Awards (1994) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "The 64th Academy Awards (1992) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- Graser, Marc (November 11, 2014). "Disney Dates Lucasfilm's Animated 'Strange Magic' for January 2015". Variety. Retrieved November 11, 2014.