Luck (2022 film)
Luck is an upcoming American-Spanish 3D computer-animated comedy film directed by Peggy Holmes and written by Kiel Murray, Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger. Starring Jane Fonda, the film was produced by Paramount Pictures, Skydance Animation, and Skydance Animation Madrid.
|Directed by||Peggy Holmes|
|Written by||Kiel Murray|
|Distributed by||Apple TV+|
When an unlucky girl stumbles upon the never-before-seen world of good and bad luck, she teams up with magical creatures to uncover a force more powerful than even luck itself.
- Jane Fonda as The Dragon: an "exuberant CEO of Good Luck and undisputed luckiest ancient being in all the land. She is elegant, stylish and as persuasive as she is powerful. The only thing better than good luck is more good luck, so when bad luck starts to spin out of control, she must face her fears or risk losing good luck forever."
In July 2017, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media formed a multi-year partnership with Ilion Animation Studios, announcing its first animated feature film Luck, with a release date of March 19, 2021. Alessandro Carloni signed on to direct the film, from a script by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger. Skydance Animation hired former Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Animation Studios CCO John Lasseter as Head of Animation, which started in late January 2019. On January 14, 2020, Carloni was replaced by Peggy Holmes, who had previously directed Secret of the Wings (2012) and The Pirate Fairy (2014) for Lasseter, as the film's director. Kiel Murray, screenwriter for Cars (2006) and Cars 3 (2017), was also hired to rewrite the screenplay.
Luck is scheduled to be released on February 18, 2022 by Apple TV+, in the United States. The film was originally set to be released on March 19, 2021, but was delayed to its current release date. On May 8, 2020, Skydance Animation president Holly Edwards revealed that the rough cut will have test screenings late in the summer of 2020. On December 16, 2020, Apple TV+ secured the distribution rights to the films Luck and Spellbound.
- Donnelly, Matt (February 17, 2021). "Jane Fonda to Voice Key Role in Apple/Skydance Film 'Luck'". Variety. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- Goldsmith, Jill (April 6, 2020). "Skydance Media Acquires Animation Unit Of Madrid-Based Ilion Studios". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 26, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 16, 2020). "Skydance Animation In Talks To Sell 'Luck' & 'Spellbound' To Apple". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 23, 2020.
- Donnelly, Matt (February 17, 2021). "Apple and Skydance Animation Formally Announce Multi-Year Partnership". Variety. Retrieved February 17, 2021.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 8, 2020). "How Animated Pics Like 'Tom & Jerry', 'SpongeBob Movie', 'Sing 2', Skydance's 'Luck' & More Are Working Through The COVID-19 Crisis". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media, LLC. Archived from the original on May 13, 2020. Retrieved June 25, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (October 10, 2017). "Skydance Hires Bill Damaschke for Animation-Family Entertainment Post". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Busch, Anita (February 22, 2018). "Skydance Media Taps 'Tangled's Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct 'Powerless'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (July 19, 2017). "Skydance Taps Directors for Two Animation Movies (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (January 9, 2019). "Ousted Pixar Chief John Lasseter Hired by Skydance Animation". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt (February 14, 2019). "Skydance Animation Names Holly Edwards President Under John Lasseter". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt (January 15, 2020). "John Lasseter's Skydance Animation Names Peggy Holmes New Director of 'Luck'". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- Welk, Brian (February 17, 2021). "See First Look at 'Luck' and 'Spellbound' as Apple and Skydance Animation Close Multiyear Deal (Photos)". TheWrap. Retrieved March 21, 2021.
- "Emma Thompson explains her John Lasseter letter". Southern California Public Radio. April 12, 2019. Retrieved September 22, 2019.
- Donnelly, Matt; Lang, Brent (December 16, 2020). "Skydance Animation in Talks to Move 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' to Apple (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (July 20, 2020). "Skydance Animation's 'Luck', 'Spellbound' Scheduled for 2022 Release". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 20, 2020). "Paramount Dates Skydance's 'Spellbound' & 'Luck' For 2022". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Archived from the original on January 30, 2021. Retrieved July 20, 2020.