List of Macedonian submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
North Macedonia has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film[nb 1] since 1994. The Macedonians also attempted unsuccessfully to submit a film in 1991, while they were in the process of trying to achieve international recognition as an independent state. Prior to independence, Macedonian filmmakers were active participants in the Yugoslavian film industry, and several films made by Macedonian filmmakers were submitted for Oscar consideration as part of Yugoslavia. The last instance of this was Stole Popov's Happy New Year '49 in 1987.
The International Feature Film award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
As of 2019[update], two Macedonian films, Milcho Manchevski's Before the Rain and Tamara Kotevska's and Ljubomir Stefanov's Honeyland, have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and no Macedonian film has won the award. Another of Mančevski's films, Shadows, was submitted to the Academy for the 80th Academy Awards, but it failed to get an Oscar nomination. Films by Ivo Trajkov have also been selected to represent North Macedonia three times.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by North Macedonia for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Language (s)||Director(s)||Result|
|Before the Rain||Пред дождот||Macedonian, Albanian,
|Gypsy Magic||Џипси Меџик||Macedonian, Romany||Stole Popov||Not Nominated|
|Goodbye, 20th Century!||Збогум на Дваесетиот Век!||Macedonian||Darko Mitrevski, Aleksandar Popovski||Not Nominated|
|The Great Water||Γолемата Вода||Macedonian||Ivo Trajkov||Not Nominated|
|Kontakt||Контакт||Macedonian, German||Sergej Stanojkovski||Not Nominated|
|Shadows||Сенки||Macedonian||Milčo Mančevski||Not Nominated|
|I'm From Titov Veles||Јас сум од Титов Велес||Macedonian||Teona Strugar Mitevska||Not Nominated|
|Wingless||Ocas ještěrky||Czech||Ivo Trajkov||Not Nominated|
|Mothers||Мајки||Macedonian||Milčo Mančevski||Not Nominated|
|Punk's Not Dead||Панкот не е мртов||Macedonian||Vladimir Blazevski||Not Nominated|
|The Third Half||Трето Полувреме||Macedonian||Darko Mitrevski||Not Nominated|
|To the Hilt||До балчак||Macedonian||Stole Popov||Not Nominated|
|Honey Night||Медена ноќ||Macedonian||Ivo Trajkov||Not Nominated|
|The Liberation of Skopje||Ослободување на Скопје||Macedonian||Rade Šerbedžija, Danilo Šerbedžija||Not Nominated|
|Secret Ingredient||Исцелител||Macedonian||Gjorce Stavreski||Not Nominated|
|Honeyland||Медена земја||Macedonian, Turkish, Bosnian||Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir Stefanov||Nominated|
- "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Rodriguez, Rene (27 June 2008). "It's been a long wait for 'Before the Rain'". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 4 July 2008.[dead link]
- "A Record 63 Countries Vying For Best Foreign-Language Oscar Nod". Yahoo! Movies. 17 October 2007. Archived from the original on 26 September 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- Gaydos, Steven; McCarthy, Libby (15 January 2008). "Oscar's foreign film race heats up". Variety. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- "The 70th Academy Awards (1997): Foreign Language Film Submissions". oscarguy.com. Archived from the original on 3 July 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- Honeycutt, Kirk (24 November 1998). "45 Nations Vying For Oscar". allbusiness.com. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- Hernandez, Eugene. "49 Countries Submit Films for Foreign Language Oscar Consideration". indieWire. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- Sneider, Jeff (19 October 2006). "Oscar race counts 61 countries". Variety. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- "Mancevski's "Mothers" selected for Panorama programme at 61. Berlinale". mia.com.mk. Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 18 May 2012. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- ""Трето полувреме" македонски кандидат за Оскар". Утрински весник. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- ""To the Hilt" enters Oscar race". Macedonian Information Agency. Archived from the original on 20 September 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Holdsworth, Nick (15 September 2015). "Oscars: Macedonia Nominates 'Honey Night' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Holdsworth, Nick (27 September 2016). "Oscars: Macedonia Selects 'The Liberation of Skopje' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Macedonia selects 'Secret Ingredient' as foreign language entry at 2019 Academy Awards". Macedonian Information Agency. 19 September 2018. Archived from the original on 19 September 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Holdsworth, Nick. "Oscars: North Macedonia Selects 'Honeyland' for Best International Feature Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- Oscar Nominations 2020-Vanity Fair