Open main menu

I am currently only moderately active on Wikipedia. I've been uploading a lot of my own photos (and occasionally some other images) to the Commons, writing the occasional article, participating in other articles mainly on a "hit-and-run" basis, and maybe doing the occasional translation, but for the foreseeable future, that is my level of participation. I am not being one of the "mainstays", as I was from November 2003 to April 2007. - Jmabel | Talk 04:18, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

Contents

ArchivedEdit

Stray barnstarsEdit

I've moved my barnstars, etc., to User:Jmabel/Barnstars. -- Jmabel | Talk 06:31, 6 March 2006 (UTC)

Stray DYKsEdit

My DYKs can be found at User:Jmabel/DYK - Jmabel | Talk 00:43, 30 September 2009 (UTC)

Regarding recent refactoring/deletion in my user spaceEdit

Hi Jmabel,

[Perhaps Checkingfax and Wikicology might be so kind as to consider and take note of the following as well.]

Please explain what's going on with quote removal on my talkpage. It's my initial feeling that if someone has an issue with something left on my talkpage they need to be communicating such as a request—with context and explanation—to me directly in some manner (such as leaving a message on my talkpage and/or a 'pinging' me from another talkpage). I was considering transcribing the whole thread over to Commons ... So having the thread turned into a 'moving target' by others (without the courtesy of direct communication to me) felt disorientating and distracting. It seems reasonable to expect to have some input into how such gets handled on one's own talkpage, yes?

For example perhaps a bracketed "[A quote formerly in place here was redacted upon request.]" line left in place with the original signature and timestamp might have served to better preserve historical accuracy. But I wasn't given an opportunity in advance to suggest such—or anything else—and instead was just left to address the alteration (or not) myself after-the-fact ... <sigh> ...

If someone else would like to copy the whole thread from my talkpage over to an appropriate thread on Commons and then leave a link appended to the thread on my page noting such ("Discussion continued at ...", etc.) please feel free to do so. As the thread deals with confirming and/or establishing Commons policy it likely should, in retrospect, have taken place there in the first place—perhaps on the discussion page of the file in question. I was planning to copy the thread to Commons with a neatly placed and titled 'collapse top/bottom' template preceded by an introductory line or few and then follow from there with further thoughts/replies/policy research (feel free to consider such as a suggestion at this point; I'm going to divert my attention elsewhere for awhile).
--Kevjonesin (talk) 03:23, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

  • Wikicology is apparently banned from the English-language Wikipedia. I'm the one who originally copied his remark there. He requested (on the thread I posted a link to right after I removed the copied remark) that I remove it, presumably because he doesn't want to be seen as trying to evade the ban by having someone else post his remarks on his behalf. - Jmabel | Talk 04:11, 20 January 2017 (UTC)
Jmabel, I don't see "presumably because he doesn't want to be seen as trying to evade the ban by having someone else post his remarks on his behalf" as presenting a problem on my talkpage. You clearly conveyed that you were quoting a public record from elsewhere and indicated that it was you who had done so by signing and dating your comment. If Wikicology wishes to ping me on Commons or leave a message on my talkpage there explaining why they wish me to refactor 'my'* talkpage they're welcome to do so. In the meantime, I'll be restoring your quote-comment that was removed as at present I prefer to let it stand for the record as originally posted. Oh, and, BTW, FWIW, User:Checkingfax followed having been tagged above by making yet another unauthorized deletion at my talkpage. At present I'm inclined to respond to any further unauthorized mucking about in my userspace by initiating administrative action.
*[note: I'm aware my oversight of the User:Kevjonesin namespace is technically a privilege extended by Jimbo Wales, the Wikimedia Foundation, and to some extent the Wikimedia community at large rather than true 'ownership' per se; however, so far as I'm aware it's a matter of both custom and policy/guidelines to extend fairly broad authority to editors over their own user namespace excepting instances where other explicitly stated policy may supersede. At this time I feel inclined to exercise the authority I've been given, such as it is, rather than risk further erosion by rude indifference. I may eventually be open to considering written requests for future changes to be made with the understanding that such may only be implemented either by me or in some manner having received my explicit personal approval, in advance, on a case-by-case basis.]
[Also note: Hosting a Commons policy discussion on my Wikipedia talkpage was initiated by KDS4444 who also took it upon themself to invite others to come and join in. As I've already indicated, I think the relevant file discussion-page at Commons would have made for a more appropriate venue. Especially now that some of the guests to my talkpage have repeatedly shown discourtesy by 'failing to use their turn signals' – ie. by failing to offer me explicit cues and consultation before implementing anomalous actions on my page – and have done so apparently based largely on some dialog on another Wiki with another user, Wikicology, who has not chosen to communicate directly with me at all. Instead they've made use of proxies to extend their will from afar. Which seems quite ironic to me as fear of being perceived as 'using proxies to influence en:Wikipedia' has been presented above as an excuse for doing just that. A grand example of self-fulfilling prophecy!]
--Kevjonesin (talk) 13:11, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

Please see commons:User_talk:Kevjonesin#Your_talk_page., where Wikicology has clarified that I understood his intent correctly. This is a situation where it is impossible to make everyone happy. You and he are making conflicting demands. My edits to your talk page did not effectively remove information from the discussion: they turned a copy into a link. That seemed to be the closest I could come to accommodating you both. When I made originally copied the remarks, I had no idea Wikicology was banned from the English-language wikipedia. Similarly, he presumably will not be following our discussion here, and certainly cannot respond here. I personally have no problem with you restoring the quotation from him (and certainly no problem with you restoring me saying he's dead wrong), but do be aware that in restoring it you are going against his express request. - Jmabel | Talk 15:29, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

It's my understanding that one's contributions to Wikimedia sites (including to talkpage discussions) are by default considered contributions to the public domain. I'll deal with Wikicology on Commons when and as I see fit.
Hi, Kevjonesin. No. Wikimedia contributions are not Public Domain. Wikicology requested that his words be removed and they were not. In good faith I removed them per his request to me. If you did not like the manner that I refactored things, you could have easily cleaned it up without making a federal case about it - and a huge mess. You still have that opportunity. Please remove my signature from your talk page, as I contributed no content to your page, and I do not care to be attributed for that which I am not responsible for. See my edit summaries for rationale. As always, WP:AGF and WP:TPG. Cheers! {{u|Checkingfax}} {Talk} 00:21, 28 January 2017 (UTC)
Jmabel as you yourself have indicated you were not acting upon the direction of Wikicology when you originally posted the quote in question to my en.Wikipedia user talkpage. However; again as you yourself have indicated, you were acting on behalf of Wikicology – a user banned from en.Wikipedia for—in short—disruptive and erratic editing and deemed untrustworthy and inconsistent by arbcom – when you chose to refactor the comment on my en.Wikipedia user talkpage; as was Checkingfax when he refactored the same comment previous to you (contrary to the very talkpage guidelines he linked in his edit summary wherein he offered vague 'acronym salad' rather than straightforward elaboration as to what had prompted his edit). You both performed an edit to my userspace at en.Wikipedia in response to a request from an indefinitely banned user made upon another Wiki without advance discussion with me or anyone else here on en.Wikipedia, correct? I am befuddled why you both seem to have felt such urgency to extend a courtesy to a self declared banned user speaking from another site, yet have not shown willingness to extend courtesy to me—an active en.Wikipedia editor in good standing—by by for instance including me in deciding how to respond to a request made elsewhere by a banned user regarding refactoring my own talkpage. Checkingfax made a third-party drive by edit without so much as a 'howdy-do', which I reverted, and then you, Jmabel, presumed to revert my reversion on my own talkpage without advance notice or consultation. Is it any wonder that I'm feeling abused and disrespected at this point? Would either of you appreciate it if I (or another editor) presumed to supersede you in your namespace? I reiterate, why have y'all held Wikicology's "express request" to be so urgent and important here on en.Wikipedia while brushing off my interest in being included in shaping my own namespace? I should hope it's clear by now that I feel I've been rudely disregarded in this matter; something along the lines of, "Oops, sorry I stepped on your toes, I'll try to be more careful in the future", would go a long way towards helping me put this to rest. --Kevjonesin (talk) 21:51, 20 January 2017 (UTC)
My initial edit was indeed not at Wikicology's request: it was an effort to comply with User:KDS4444's request at commons:Village pump/Copyright "please respond either at the Village Pump or, ideally, on the talk page of one of the participants here rather than start another thread here at the copyright section of Commons." At the time, I had no idea why Wikicology nonetheless put his comment right there in the copyright section of Commons (in particular, I had no idea he was banned on en-wiki.), so I had no idea that anyone might consider my copying it to the requested location other than constructive. Once I was told (by Wikicology) about Wikicology's ban I tried to remedy my mistake. Again: I replaced a quotation with a link, there was no loss of information. And, again, if you want to leave the quote there despite his wishes, then that doesn't concern me. Of course I'll try to be careful in the future. - Jmabel | Talk 22:27, 20 January 2017 (UTC)
(Goodness, all I was trying to do was create a centralized venue for a discussion— I did not figure it mattered greatly where it took place, so long as it did not take place in three different places. If that resulted in intrusion, then I am very sorry. I did not consider the decision of where to hold the discussion as at all relevant, I just wanted to have the discussion! KDS4444 (talk) 06:26, 21 January 2017 (UTC))
  • Jmabel, you seem to have again missed my point. The quality of your rationale for reverting on my talkpage is not what I bring into question, but rather whether it was properly your place to do so on your own without consulting me in the first place, regardless of rationale. You lost sight of context, you forgot your surroundings (or so I give you the benefit-of-the-doubt, perhaps in fact you and Checkingfax simply hold no respect for en.Wikipedia customs regarding deference to users in regards to decisions about their own namespace). Whichever it may be, as I now feel you both have been rude guests, and appear to me unapologetic for having done so, I say "Sully my doorstep no more!" (ie. Jmabel and Checkingfax I, Kevjonesin, formerly request that you have no more interaction with my namespace at en.Wikipedia; henceforth do not post to, comment on, or otherwise edit User talk:Kevjonesin without explicit invitation by me to do so). --Kevjonesin (talk) 12:27, 21 January 2017 (UTC)


  • KDS4444, "all I was trying to do was create a centralized venue for a discussion" ... about Wikimedia Commons policy-&-protocol on another's personal talkpage here at en.Wikipedia. By way of analogy, you chose to organize a party at my place, invited guests from another town, and never asked if I wanted to play host. Then after some of the guests you invited were rude to their host, presuming to rearrange as if they were in their own living room, you left me largely on my own to deal with sorting out the aftermath. "I did not consider the decision of where to hold the discussion as at all relevant, I just wanted to have the discussion!" ... Perhaps your desire got the better of your common sense (such has certainly happened to me before). I hope we all may learn to take better care when choosing venues in the future.
KDS4444, you've stated an apology, "If that resulted in intrusion, then I am very sorry."; something others have as yet not seen fit to do. Thank you, I appreciate the gesture. Perhaps you might be so kind as to put that sentiment into action by taking to heart the suggestion I presented at the start of this thread:

If someone else would like to copy the whole thread from my talkpage over to an appropriate thread on Commons and then leave a link appended to the thread on my page noting such ("Discussion continued at ...", etc.) please feel free to do so. As the thread deals with confirming and/or establishing Commons policy it likely should, in retrospect, have taken place there in the first place—perhaps on the discussion page of the file in question. I was planning to copy the thread to Commons with a neatly placed and titled 'collapse top/bottom' template preceded by an introductory line or few and then follow from there with further thoughts/replies/policy research (feel free to consider such as a suggestion at this point; I'm going to divert my attention elsewhere for awhile).

Please transcribe the text from the thread you started on my en.Wikipedia talkpage to the discussion-page of commons:File:Opened scallop shell (with arrows).png, give it an appropriate introduction (eg. "The following has been transcribed from en.Wikipedia and placed here on Commons as it addresses Commons policy in general and this file page specifically."), and then add brief notes elsewhere on Commons where appropriate (ie. where you've previously linked my en.Wikipedia talkpage; a link to the new target with a brief explanation directing folks to no longer use the previous link to my en.Wikipedia userspace should suffice). KDS4444, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd take responsibility for these 'mopping up' tasks (ie. help clean up after your party at my place) so that I may feel free to get back to addressing the actual Commons policy/protocol issues you've raised regarding file authorship and such. Thanks for your time and consideration, -- Kevjonesin (talk) 12:27, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
@Kevjonesin: I will stay off of your user talk page in the future. - Jmabel | Talk 18:17, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
  • Thank you.
[Frankly I'm sorry it's come to this Jmabel, but at present—lacking recognition a misstep may have occurred—it seems for the best. Out of respect for your space here, if others continue responding to me on this thread I'll make an effort to continue elsewhere.]
--Kevjonesin (talk) 23:33, 21 January 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter - February 2017Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2017). This first issue is being sent out to all administrators, if you wish to keep receiving it please subscribe. Your feedback is welcomed.

  Administrator changes

  NinjaRobotPirateSchwede66K6kaEaldgythFerretCyberpower678Mz7PrimefacDodger67
  BriangottsJeremyABU Rob13

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • When performing some administrative actions the reason field briefly gave suggestions as text was typed. This change has since been reverted so that issues with the implementation can be addressed. (T34950)
  • Following the latest RfC concluding that Pending Changes 2 should not be used on the English Wikipedia, an RfC closed with consensus to remove the options for using it from the page protection interface, a change which has now been made. (T156448)
  • The Foundation has announced a new community health initiative to combat harassment. This should bring numerous improvements to tools for admins and CheckUsers in 2017.

  Arbitration

  Obituaries

  • JohnCD (John Cameron Deas) passed away on 30 December 2016. John began editing Wikipedia seriously during 2007 and became an administrator in November 2009.

13:38, 1 February 2017 (UTC)

AN/I Kevjonesin vs CheckingfaxEdit

  There is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. {{u|Checkingfax}} {Talk} 05:08, 5 February 2017 (UTC)

Editing as Activism: Black WikiHistory Month Workshop and Edit-a-thon at UW BothellEdit

 
Event poster for the Black History Month Editing as Activism Workshop and Edit-a-thon at University of Washington-Bothell Feb. 22-23, 2017.
Editing as Activism: Black WikiHistory Month Workshop and Edit-a-thon
Social Justice Organizers at University of Washington-Bothell are hosting a two-day editing event for Black WikiHistory Month on Feb. 22 and Feb. 23, 2017.
Learn to Purposefully Edit Wikipedia
  • February 22, 2017 ~3-5:30pm
  • Location: UW Bothell Activities & Recreation Center (ARC) Overlook (Sports and Recreation Complex on the campus map), Second floor, room 202. Address: 18220 Campus Way NE, Bothell, WA 98011; vehicle parking in North parking garage $3 for 3 hours or $6/all day rate cash or card
  • This workshop gives you the critical tools you need to log on with purpose and make edits that make a difference.
  • Led by Monika Sengul-Jones
Black History Month Edit-a-thon
  • February 23, 2017 3-6pm
  • Location: UW Bothell Common Grounds Cafe in the Commons Hall (UW2), main floor. Address: 18115 Campus Way NE Bothell, WA 98011; vehicle parking in South parking garage $3 for 3 hours or $6/all day rate cash or card
  • Put your editing skills to work in a group editing session. Edit and/or create pages that improve Wikipedia's coverage of Black history and culture. All welcome. Novice editors encouraged to attend the Learn to Purposefully Edit session on Feb. 22. Bring your laptops, power cords, and books/articles to edit with.
  • All are welcome; this event is specifically geared towards the University of Washington student and faculty community. Light refreshments will be served.
  • Affiliated Sponsor: Cascadia Wikimedians User Group
To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list. - MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:57, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
 
cascadia.wiki

Art+Feminism March 2017 at UW SeattleEdit

 


 
cascadia.wiki
Art+Feminism Learn to Edit Pre-session
  • When: Friday, March 3rd, 2017, from 12-2pm PT
  • Where: Research Commons, Allen Library South, Ground floor. University of Washington. Seattle, WA 98195
Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon
  • When: Saturday, March 4th, 2017, 9am-1pm PT
  • Where: Research Commons, Allen Library South, Ground floor. University of Washington. Seattle, WA 98195

The University of Washington Research Commons, Cascadia Wikimedians, iArts, & iQueeries will jointly host an Art+Feminism event in March at the Research Commons.

Join us for a communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to art and feminism! Our focus is on improving Wikipedia's representation of North American Indigenous art, Indigenous womxn artists, and Indigenous feminism.

We will provide tutorials for beginner Wikipedians, childcare, refreshments, and live streaming for those unable to attend.

Cost is free! Anyone and everyone who wishes to attend this event is welcome. Bring your own laptops and power cords (guest access to UW WiFi will be available).

To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.
- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:36, 28 February 2017 (UTC)

Orphaned non-free image File:Fiddler on the roof poster.jpgEdit

 

Thanks for uploading File:Fiddler on the roof poster.jpg. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

Note that any non-free images not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described in section F5 of the criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. Elisfkc (talk) 02:40, 5 March 2017 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Banana BoatEdit

 

The article Banana Boat has been proposed for deletion. The proposed deletion notice added to the article should explain why.

While all constructive contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, pages may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the page to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. ProgrammingGeek talktome 16:12, 9 April 2017 (UTC)

Hackathon to help Wikipedia 1.0Edit

Hello! You're listed as a member of the Wikipedia 1.0 team, so I thought you might be interested in this Hackathon on August 13-18 in my home town of Potsdam, New York, right after Wikimania. Let me know if you'd like to participate. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 04:51, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

Art+Feminism, Saturday, May 6, at Jacob Lawrence Gallery, UW SeattleEdit

 

Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon

Despite its wide reach, content on Wikipedia suffers from the bias of its editors: white, technically inclined, English-speaking men that live in developed, majority-Christian countries. This represents an alarming absence of voices in an increasingly important repository of shared knowledge.

In an effort to change this, the Jake is organizing a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on Saturday, May 6th, 1 - 5 pm. Our mission is to bring together diverse communities to participate in Wikipedia editing, and improve its coverage of queer people and women of color in the arts.

We will provide childcare, snacks, and tutorials for the beginner editor.

Bring your laptop, power-cord and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. No previous Wikipedia experience required!

RSVP at and stay tuned to our Facebook page for updates.

What: Improving Wikipedia's coverage on queer and women artists of color
When: Saturday, May 6, 1-5pm
Where: Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Art Building #132, 1915 NE Chelan Ln, Seattle, WA 98105
Who: People of all gender identities and expressions are invited to participate.
What to bring: A laptop and power cord. Access to UW wifi will be provided for non-UW affliated participants.

To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.
-MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:56, 4 May 2017 (UTC)

Can you help verify translations of articles from RomanianEdit

Hello,

Would you be able to help evaluate the accuracy of translations of Wikipedia articles from Romanian to English Wikipedia?

This would involve evaluating a translated article on English Wikipedia by comparing it to the original Romanian article, and marking it "Pass" or "Fail" based on whether the translation faithfully represents the original. Here's the reason for this request:

There are a number of articles on English Wikipedia that were created as machine translations from different languages including Romanian , using the Content Translation tool, sometimes by users with no knowledge of the source language. The config problem that allowed this to happen has since been fixed, but this has left us with a backlog of articles whose accuracy of translation is suspect or unknown, including some articles translated from Romanian. In many cases, other editors have come forward later to copyedit and fix any English grammar or style issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the translation is accurate, as factual errors from the original translation may remain. To put it another way: Good English is not the same as good translation.

If you can help out, that would be great. Here's a sample of the articles that need checking:

  • Ellie White Pass; accurate, but barely 10% of the Romanian article
  • Pegas Pass; cleaned up and should be fine; some contradictions with ro version, but refs support en version so prob. ok
  • Toate pînzele sus Pass; basically accurate; English wasn't very good, now fixed. 2 paragraphs in original not translated.
  • Genoese Lighthouse Pass; basically solid; I've fixed two minor issues
  • Gelu Barbu Pass; "basically accurately translated," but incomplete

All you have to do, is compare the English article to the Romanian article, and mark it "Pass" or "Fail" (templates {{Pass}} and {{Fail}} may be useful). (Naturally, if you feel like fixing an inaccurate translation and then marking it "Pass", that's even better, but it isn't required.)

If you can help, please let me know. Thanks! Mathglot (talk) 09:55, 29 May 2017 (UTC)

  • I'm pretty busy these days, but I'll do my best to put some time into this. - Jmabel | Talk 15:55, 29 May 2017 (UTC)
  • @Mathglot: Done. I've written comments on the respective talk pages rather than just use templates {{Pass}} and {{Fail}}. In a few cases I did significant cleanup on the articles, as well. - Jmabel | Talk 06:09, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Wow, that's great, thank you! I'm still searching for additional helpers for Romanian, in fact, if you can drop a few usernames here or on my talk page of users you know who might be able to help with Romanian (also other Ctrl European languages), I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime while I'm looking, can I pass you another five articles? Thanks again, Mathglot (talk) 06:33, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
  • Most days I won't have that kind of time to put into it; if you drop me more articles, don't expect anything like comparable response time. I'll get to it, but not necessarily promptly.
  • The problem in terms of contributors who can read Romanian is, unsurprisingly: most of them are native Romanian speakers who are not at a comparable level in English, so they can do a great job of translating English to Romanian, but not vice versa (much as I can competently translate Romanian to English, but not vice versa). I haven't been active enough lately in the English-language Wikipedia to name names of who is currently active and capable of going this direction, but I'd suggest that as this moves forward you just keep an eye out for who does the translations that turn out to be good, and try working with them. - Jmabel | Talk 14:38, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Hi, Jmabel. Understood, and I appreciate whatever assistance you can provide. Your comment about the ro->en vs en->ro is a good one, I will probably go mine the ro-5 and ro-4 lists and double-check that they are high- or native-English (as opposed to: <ro-4, hu-N, en-1> for example) to make sure they're good in the ro->en direction.
If you do feel like looking at some more, we'd certainly appreciate it, here's the remainder of the list:
List of articles translated from Romanian wikipedia
As far as spending time: it's much more important for us in the short term to get a Pass/Fail assessment, than to have the articles actually fixed. I assume that that would speed things up considerably for you since it's just a binary decision. But we're all volunteers here, so you do whatever you have time for, and what you enjoy.
Thanks again for your help, and happy editing! Mathglot (talk) 23:31, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
FWIW, I only count myself as ro-2, en-N. I wouldn't presume to write anything in Romanian beyond an informal communication, but I read it pretty well. - Jmabel | Talk 23:41, 30 May 2017 (UTC)

@Mathglot: Done. - Jmabel | Talk 20:18, 7 June 2017 (UTC)

Thank you! This is really helpful. I hope it has been enjoyable as well. I will keep my eye out for any more. Note that I've repatriated some of your assessments from talk pages of articles where you wrote more at length, to the list above; if you could just double check briefly to ensure that they are valid restatements of your opinions (which I've quoted and slightly abbreviated) I'd appreciate it. Adding @Elinruby: Mathglot (talk) 22:53, 7 June 2017 (UTC)
Yes (on the first 5, you seem not to have done this on the others). - Jmabel | Talk 15:30, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
Partly because I don't want to misrepresent your assessments. For example, for Filaret Barbu, when I see a comment like, "′I suspect someone would do well to start this nearly from scratch" I want to call it a "Fail" because if it's easier to delete the article and start it over from scratch, this for me is the very definition of a "fail". But I'd rather hear that from you directly, and not make interpretations.
Do you think you could propagate your assessments from the second batch to your talk page above and assess each as a pass or a fail? I realize that in some cases trying to summarize what may be an extended discussion on that talk page or capture it in just a few words maybe problematic, but it's the nature of the beast. Mathglot (talk) 02:18, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
My assessment for Filaret Barbu, which I think I stated pretty clearly, is that someone should start over. What is the use in knowing whether it is an accurate or inaccurate translation of a poor article in Romanian? What matters is that it needs to be rewritten. - Jmabel | Talk 05:06, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
This project has a narrow scope and attempts to answer the question, Should this article be deleted because of a worthless machine translation due to a misconfig in a provided tool? Any of these articles, even if the translation is accurate, may be deleted for any of the numerous reasons that any article may be deleted, such as those listed at CSD, and others. So you're right in a sense, if the original is poor, the worth of an accurate translation is low, and one might better spend one's time calling out that fact, like you have done. If you think it's poor enough to be deleted (i.e., that starting over from scratch would be simpler) then by all means nominate it for deletion if you like, or Prod it (a much easier process) and see if anyone comes forward to deprod. Having said that, the X2 deletion criterion is limited to a specific type of translation problem, and that's what we are trying to address, but that doesn't stop anyone, anytime, from deleting any of these articles for another reason; or even better, fixing them up so they are worth keeping. Nevertheless, you raise some good points which this project doesn't handle well, such as this article, and as you say, what's the point of keeping a good translation of a bad article? The answer, is probably no point, but we can't use X2 to delete it, we'd have to use some other criterion, or fix it up. I hope this answers your question, at least in part. Mathglot (talk) 05:44, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
None of these are poor enough to be deleted. Where they were inaccurate, I've fixed that. However, for Filaret Barbu, what should be the heart of the article is missing in both the Romanian and the English. It's almost as if you wrote about Jackie Robinson as a baseball player and didn't mention race. It would still be a large portion of the article that is ultimately needed, but it would still miss the point. - Jmabel | Talk 15:10, 9 June 2017 (UTC)

───────────────────────── I propagated a summary of your evaluations from the respective talk pages to the items in the hide/show list; can you have a quick look to make sure I fairly represented them? In sum, I understand them all to pass, except for the one that can't be compared because the orig was deleted, and also #3153, where I understood an implicit "pass" from your description of your improvements, although it wasn't stated outright. Do these look about right? Mathglot (talk) 07:52, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

  • Yes, that's fine. - Jmabel | Talk 16:28, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

Can you help verify translations of articles from SpanishEdit

Hello Jmabel,

Would you be able to help evaluate the accuracy of translations of Wikipedia articles from Spanish to English Wikipedia?

This would involve evaluating a translated article on the English Wikipedia by comparing it to the original Spanish article, and marking it "Pass" or "Fail" based on whether the translation faithfully represents the original. Here's the reason for this request:

There are a number of articles on English Wikipedia that were created as machine translations from different languages including Spanish, using the Content Translation tool, sometimes by users with no knowledge of the source language. The config problem that allowed this to happen has since been fixed, but this has left us with a backlog of articles whose accuracy of translation is suspect or unknown, including some articles translated from Spanish. In many cases, other editors have come forward later to copyedit and fix any English grammar or style issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the translation is accurate, as factual errors from the original translation may remain. To put it another way: Good English is not the same as good translation.

If you can help out, that would be great. Here's a sample of the articles that need checking:

All you have to do, is compare the English article to the Spanish article, and mark it "Pass" or "Fail" (templates {{Pass}} and {{Fail}} may be useful). (Naturally, if you feel like fixing an inaccurate translation and then marking it "Pass", that's even better, but it isn't required.)

If you can help, please let me know. Thanks! Elinruby (talk) 07:49, 2 June 2017 (UTC)

  • @Elinruby: I am in the midst of doing this for several dozen articles translated from Romanian. I suspect you should find something else: native English speakers with decent Spanish should be pretty easy to come by, but native English speakers with decent Romanian are in short supply. - Jmabel | Talk 14:54, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
@Jmabel: Mathglot has been telling me this and and I was just now composing a message to this effect. Indeed, I agree. Your help is welcome with Spanish, where there is a high volume of articles, but you are the only editor we have found so far who can do Romanian so please do carry on with that as a priority. I was not aware you were doing Romanian when I sent the message about Spanish. Thank you for your help. Elinruby (talk) 15:17, 2 June 2017 (UTC)

Moved to User:Jmabel/Barnstars - Jmabel | Talk 23:02, 14 June 2017 (UTC)

Your submission at Articles for creation: Jacqueline Ayer has been acceptedEdit

Jacqueline Ayer, which you submitted to Articles for creation, has been created.
The article has been assessed as C-Class, which is recorded on the article's talk page. You may like to take a look at the grading scheme to see how you can improve the article.

You are more than welcome to continue making quality contributions to Wikipedia. Note that because you are a logged-in user, you can create articles yourself, and don't have to post a request. However, you may continue submitting work to Articles for Creation if you prefer.

Thank you for helping improve Wikipedia!

» Shadowowl | talk 07:04, 1 July 2017 (UTC)

A kitten for you!Edit

Hi! I'm extremely new to Wikipedia user-hood, and I was looking for good examples of a user page when I stumbled across yours. Actually, I first saw your name in the discussions section and I wanted to let you know that you're inspiring! Thank you for all you've done here, both with photography and intellectual discourse.

RevolutionMary (talk) 14:30, 24 July 2017 (UTC)

Personal acquaintances updateEdit

I got verified at WP:Personal acquaintances and completed your third attestation making you confirmed as well. ☆ Bri (talk) 04:35, 22 August 2017 (UTC)

  • Well, that only took a few years! - Jmabel | Talk 04:46, 22 August 2017 (UTC)
  • And a trip to Europe! But now we have critical three confirmed users in our region and can build more network locally. Which reminds me, we should hold a meetup soon. ☆ Bri (talk) 05:49, 22 August 2017 (UTC)
    • Indeed we should. - Jmabel | Talk 00:25, 12 September 2017 (UTC)

AfC notification: Draft:Architecture of Seattle has a new commentEdit

I've left a comment on your Articles for Creation submission, which can be viewed at Draft:Architecture of Seattle. Thanks! Legacypac (talk) 02:30, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Oops - changed quotationEdit

I was working too fast and didn't notice this was inside a quotation. ☆ Bri (talk) 03:11, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Grant Harrison JonesEdit

 

The article Grant Harrison Jones has been proposed for deletion because it appears to have no references. Under Wikipedia policy, this biography of a living person will be deleted after seven days unless it has at least one reference to a reliable source that directly supports material in the article.

If you created the article, please don't be offended. Instead, consider improving the article. For help on inserting references, see Referencing for beginners, or ask at the help desk. Once you have provided at least one reliable source, you may remove the {{prod blp/dated}} tag. Please do not remove the tag unless the article is sourced. If you cannot provide such a source within seven days, the article may be deleted, but you can request that it be undeleted when you are ready to add one. Boleyn (talk) 15:24, 5 November 2017 (UTC)

  • @Boleyn: Fine with me. I just factored that out of where it was absurdly included in the article about architect Grant Jones. - Jmabel | Talk 17:42, 5 November 2017 (UTC)

DYK for Architecture of SeattleEdit

 On 6 November 2017, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Architecture of Seattle, which you recently created, substantially expanded, or brought to good article status. The fact was ... that several buildings in Seattle (example pictured) deliberately evoke traditional regional Native American architecture? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/Architecture of Seattle. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, Architecture of Seattle), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.

— Maile (talk) 00:02, 6 November 2017 (UTC)

Woot! Just saw this on the main page and didn't even know it was a DYK nomination. ☆ Bri (talk) 02:37, 6 November 2017 (UTC)
Yeah. Had a little bit of a battle over it, because it's far from a finished article, but once you took it live it was now or never. - Jmabel | Talk 04:22, 6 November 2017 (UTC)

PreciousEdit

architecture of Seattle and Bucharest

Thank you for quality articles such as Architecture of Seattle and Casa Capșa, for adding to music, theatre and many more topics, for improving articles, such as Silo of Asturias, for uploading your stunning images, for help in many languages, especially Spanish and Romanian, - Joe, you are an awesome Wikipedian!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:50, 8 November 2017 (UTC)

A year ago, you were recipient no. 1768 of Precious, a prize of QAI! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:14, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

ArbCom 2017 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Jmabel. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

Please join us for our Cascadia Wikimedians annual meeting, Saturday, December 23, 1 PMEdit

 
If you are in the Seattle area, please join us for our Cascadia Wikimedians annual meeting, Saturday, December 23, 1 PM. If you cannot attend in person, you may join us virtually from your PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android at this link: https://zoom.us/j/2207426850. The address of the physical meeting is: Capitol Hill Meeting Room at Capitol Hill Library (425 Harvard Ave. E., Seattle, WA 98102) 47°37′23″N 122°19′20″W / 47.622928°N 122.322312°W / 47.622928; -122.322312

The event page is here. You do not have to be a member to attend, but only members can vote in board elections. New members may join in person by completing the membership registration form onsite or (to be posted) online and paying $5 for a calendar year / $0.50 per month for the remainder of a year. Current members may renew for 2018 at the meeting as well.

Cascadia Wikimedians User Group is a recognized 501c3 non-profit organization in the US. EIN # 47-3513818 Our mail address is Cascadia Wikimedians User Group, 520 Kirkland Way, PO Box 2305, Kirkland, WA 98083.
06:19, 20 December 2017 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

Strong account security for administratorsEdit

Joe, in case you are interested. Apparently you can use a two-factor auth code generator on either your PC or smartphone. Details are at Wikipedia:Simple 2FA. The instructions are on enwp but there's a similar page on meta so I think it's enabled across all Wikimedia projects. If you do this, please do heed the instructions about keeping written backup codes. ☆ Bri (talk) 15:54, 24 December 2017 (UTC)

Nomination of Zongora for deletionEdit

 

A discussion is taking place as to whether the article Zongora is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Zongora until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.

Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article. ««« SOME GADGET GEEK »»» (talk) 15:30, 2 February 2018 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

  The Admin's Barnstar
Hello, I have looked at your edits, and they are very well done. Also, you are a nice admin! Great Gonzo (talk) 20:30, 5 February 2018 (UTC)

AfC notification: Draft:Ahamefule J. Oluo has a new commentEdit

I've left a comment on your Articles for Creation submission, which can be viewed at Draft:Ahamefule J. Oluo. Thanks! Robert McClenon (talk) 03:08, 7 February 2018 (UTC)

Your submission at Articles for creation: Ahamefule J. Oluo has been acceptedEdit

Ahamefule J. Oluo, which you submitted to Articles for creation, has been created.

You are more than welcome to continue making quality contributions to Wikipedia. If your account is more than four days old and you have made at least 10 edits you can create articles yourself without posting a request. However, you may continue submitting work to Articles for Creation if you prefer.

Thank you for helping improve Wikipedia!

Mattflaschen - Talk 05:29, 11 March 2018 (UTC)

Elcor, MinnesotaEdit

Hello, Jmabel!

I know you are only moderately active, but would you have any interest in translating the Featured Article Elcor, Minnesota for the Italian Wikipedia? Since many of the immigrants who settled here were from Italy, I think having the article translated in this language is important, especially for any relatives of former residents who may be looking for information about the town. DrGregMN (talk) 16:29, 13 March 2018 (UTC)

  • @DrGregMN: While I can read Italian pretty well, I would never venture to translate into Italian. You should find a native or near-native Italian speaker for this. - Jmabel | Talk 16:31, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
    • Thanks for the response, Jmabal. Anyone you may suggest?

DrGregMN (talk) 17:47, 13 March 2018 (UTC)

      • Sorry, no, but look for someone whose Babel box claims it-4, it-5, or it-N. That's the level where translation into a language is feasible. - Jmabel | Talk 17:55, 13 March 2018 (UTC)

Request of an expansion of an article translating it from the one in SpanishEdit

Hola, hello, Jmabel, soy un user de la wikipedia en español, le escribo este mensaje porque usted hace traducciones del español al inglés, para pedirle que traduzca una parte del artículo en español de Jurate Rosales, que ya está creado en la Wikipedia en inglés. Se lo pedí a otro wikipedista, que lo hizo, pero es muy breve. Rosales defiende una interesante hipótesis histórica disidente, sostiene que los godos eran un pueblo báltico y que se expandieron hasta la India en expediciones de conquista. La petición es especialmente sobre el apartado 'Tesis sobre los godos'. ¿Podría expandir el texto? (tanto si lo va a hacer como si no ¿podría comunicármelo? Unas palabras bastarán) Un saludo. Regards. Rovirarovere (talk) 19:13, 27 March 2018 (UTC)

  • @Rovirarovere: Me parece intersante. No sé exactamente cuando hay tiempo para hacerlo, pero debía pasar en las próximas dos o tres semanas. - Jmabel | Talk 20:12, 27 March 2018 (UTC)

It's ok, I'll try to find another translator. Un saludo. Rovirarovere (talk) 17:31, 28 March 2018 (UTC)

  • ¿Por qué? He comenzado, pero no hay tiempo para hacer todo a la vez. ¿Esperaste que todo se hiciera en un día? - Jmabel | Talk 17:36, 28 March 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Jmabel, le ruego que me perdone, me disculpe y me excuse, I'm really much embarrassed, I'm sorry, me pareció que usted decía educadamente/politely que no quería traducirlo, acabo de mirar en su página de taller y creo que está haciendo un trabajo verdaderamente excepcional. Perdóneme, si es posible, por el innecesario malentendido. I didn't ask to anyone else to make the translation. You began to make it. There is nos reason for you not to follow working on it. I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding. Un saludo. Rovirarovere (talk) 18:05, 29 March 2018 (UTC)

Hello,, thank you very much. Your translation is a first class job, may be I should translate it into spanish. You deserve be awarded with a golden medal for it (and also with a silver one and a bronze one). I made a few changes on it (punctuation), I think there was a confusion in the second paragraph. And may be it's not necessary to mention escita and Escitia in spanish (they were borrowed from latin), what Rosales holds is that the origin of those words is baltic. Sinceramente, enhorabuena, congratulations. Muchas gracias. Un saludo. Rovirarovere (talk) 19:06, 3 April 2018 (UTC)

  • Thanks. I tried to improve the writing rather than just translate literally.
  • With reference to escita and Escitia: since I didn't have her original text (presumably in Spanish) at hand, I had no way to know exactly what she had written. I was assuming she was drawing from the text of the Crónica, so Spanish seemed perfectly likely. - Jmabel | Talk 19:12, 3 April 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Jmabel, It's all right. Well, if you are interested in this subject, Rosales' book "Los godos" can be found with this title [DOC]Jurate Rosales - Los Godos - IES T-004 Normal, the part about the Baltic etimologies for Spanish words seems really wrong in quite a few cases but that doesn't disprove her hypothesis, and also the American historian or orientalist Sundeep Jhutti has a work published in internet "The Getes"[1] which could be described as definitive. Maybe translating 'lugar de paso' as 'place of passing' and 'transeunte' as 'transient' is too literal, I think that translations of the kind of 'land to go through/across' or 'walker, traveler' (as examples) would be more explanatory, but you are the English native speaker and the article is yours, if you think that they are good enough it's ok. Un saludo.Rovirarovere (talk) 19:15, 5 April 2018 (UTC)

  • Those are certainly the closest literal equivalents of the Spanish you used. Since I don't have access to Rosales' text, I have no context to improve on them. transeunte, in particular, can have quite a range of meaning. If the intent was "traveler", wouldn't viajero have been a more likely choice? "Transient" emphasizes the "just passing through" aspect, as I believe does transuente. For lugar de paso, on further thought perhaps "place of passage" would be better than "place of passing"; am I correct that the connotation in Spanish is a particularly place that is relatively easy to get through, when what is to either side would not be, as (for example) a mountain pass, or a dry ridge in a boggy land?
  • Sorry that I don't have any interest in tracking down & reading the book, but I don't. Her views make Daco-Romanian continuity seem rock solid, by contrast. - Jmabel | Talk 20:00, 5 April 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Jmabel, those translations are totally appropriate and their connotations are right in this case, the suggestion was meant to express in a clear way that Scythia is a land and that Scythian is somebedy who goes across it; without a doubt, the Spanish translations become clear in the context of Rosales' explanation (which you don't need to read), she says that they have the same origin of the lithuanian verb "eiti" 'to go', etc., but also in Spanish they are somewhat of cold, aseptic definitions, and I suggested only a translation with more common English words because "transient", especially, seems a bookish one. I'm sorry if I'm punctilious or fussy (puntilloso o quisquilloso). I've just realized that there is a mistake in the text in Spanish about asčiai it should be aisčiai. Aside from it I have no other "objection". Rovirarovere (talk) 18:09, 6 April 2018 (UTC)

Hello, ok, aside from a [ is missing in the edit source for Scythian, I have nothing more to say, I'm really surprised for the speed of the reaction to the message. Un saludo. Rovirarovere (talk) 18:39, 6 April 2018 (UTC)

Wikidata documentation and RFCEdit

Hi Joe

It was a real pleasure to meet you at Wikimedia Conference, as promised here is a list of the Wikidata documentation i've written so far:

As we discussed I think the next step is to outline the user journeys for different kinds of contributors in an RFC and then create Phabricator tickets for each task, then organisations and volunteers can allocate resources to addressing them. I'll share something with you in the week or so for you take a look at.

Best

John Cummings (talk) 19:53, 25 April 2018 (UTC)

Art+Feminism, Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Saturday, May 12th, 1-5pmEdit

 
For more info see
the meetup page
for Art+Feminism
.
Wikipedia is one of the most wide-reaching repositories of shared knowledge, yet a 2011 survey found that less than 10% of its contributors identify as female, suggesting an alarming absence of voices. What and how information is shared is skewed by this gender disparity. To help change this, the Jacob Lawrence Gallery is organizing a quarterly series of Edit-a-thons to improve Wikipedia's coverage of womxn artists of color.

This Saturday afternoon's gathering will focus on creating, editing, updating, and expanding pages for womxn artists from Latin America and the Caribbean. The Edit-a-thon will feature a talk by Dan Paz, Lecturer in the UW School of Art + Art History + Design, an artist, and an educator who explores the labor of digital imaging production as a collaborative site where the intersections of the image-idea and lived experience are produced and contested. Through videos, photography, and sculptural projects that query the ability of documentary processes to be manipulated—to be multiplied and replicated, stopped and started, rewound and advanced—Dan works within the impossibilities of absolute replication to question the very ability of the image to truly represent.

Everyone is welcome. Access to UW WiFi will be provided for non-UW affiliated participants. All you need to bring is your laptop, power cord, and ideas. No previous Wikipedia experience required! Childcare, snacks from local businesses, and editing tutorials will be provided. Please check the Facebook event page for updates.

When: Saturday, May 12th, 1-5pm
Where: Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Art Building #132, 1915 NE Chelan Ln, Seattle, Washington 98105
Who: Everyone is welcome.
What to bring: A laptop and power cord. Access to UW WiFi will be provided for non-UW affliated participants.

Posted by who will assist at Art+Feminism,
Jacob Lawrence Gallery,
UW, Seattle
23:12, 7 May 2018 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

You are appearing in The SignpostEdit

This is just a heads-up that you are quoted in Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/Next issue/News and notes. ☆ Bri (talk) 17:27, 23 May 2018 (UTC)

Trouble at Black LegendEdit

Cateyed, on the second day of his editing here, decided to create The Black Legend, covering Spain, and to reduce the long-established Black Legend page to a rump. Before he got started Black Legend was nearly 34k raw bytes, he then expanded it up to nearly 62K, before removing the Spanish stuff and reducing it to under 10K. I haven't had time to to work through his changes, though it is clear his English will always need a basic check for grammar and spelling, and his additions seem to be reference-free. I didn't think this was acceptable without discussion, so for now I reverted back to a version before his big cut. This page gets over 300 views a day, and has always been somewhat of a target for problems. I haven't formed a view as to whether a generalized "black legend" page is needed, but if it is, I don't think Black Legend and The Black Legend are sufficiently distinct titles. Perhaps this should be resolved by a WP:RM discussion, but I'm asking for preliminary views at the BL talk page first, ideally from those who have looked through Cateyed's many additions, at BL and at the other article. You're one of the top editors, so I'm informing you. Johnbod (talk) 01:56, 29 June 2018 (UTC)

Seattle Wiknic 2018Edit

In the Seattle area?
01:22, 19 August 2018 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

Disputed non-free use rationale for File:Pete Seeger Clearwater.jpgEdit

 

Thank you for uploading File:Pete Seeger Clearwater.jpg. However, there is a concern that the rationale provided for using this file on Wikipedia may not meet the criteria required by Wikipedia:Non-free content. This can be corrected by going to the file description page and adding or clarifying the reason why the file qualifies under this policy. Adding and completing one of the templates available from Wikipedia:Non-free use rationale guideline is an easy way to ensure that your file is in compliance with Wikipedia policy. Please be aware that a non-free use rationale is not the same as an image copyright tag; descriptions for files used under the non-free content policy require both a copyright tag and a non-free use rationale.

If it is determined that the file does not qualify under the non-free content policy, it might be deleted by an administrator seven days after the file was tagged in accordance with section F7 of the criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions, please ask them at the media copyright questions page. Thank you.

ATTENTION: This is an automated, bot-generated message. This bot DID NOT nominate any file(s) for deletion; please refer to the page history of each individual file for details. Thanks, FastilyBot (talk) 01:03, 22 August 2018 (UTC)

  • I uploaded this file well over a decade ago because at that time we lacked any free images illustrating that phase of Seeger's career. Obviously, if we now have such images and if this is no longer used in the article for which a non-free use rationale was provided, it should be deleted. - Jmabel | Talk 03:54, 22 August 2018 (UTC)

Translation help request of 2 Argentine Spanish articlesEdit

Hello, can you please help me translate es:Historias breves to Historias breves, and es:Rey Muerto (cortometraje) to Rey muerto??

StevenSuperstar (talk) 18:29, 8 September 2018 (UTC)

  • @StevenSuperstar: I should be able to work on this, though not necessarily this next week. - Jmabel | Talk 06:03, 9 September 2018 (UTC)
  • @StevenSuperstar: Rey Muerto done; capitalization of that title follows English-language conventions. - Jmabel | Talk 23:24, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
  • @Jmabel: Thank you !! You're amazing!! - StevenSuperstar (talk) 20:31, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
  • @StevenSuperstar: the other is now largely done at User:Jmabel/Historias Breves. Two things where we will probably need help from a native speaker of Spanish:
    • I suspect Niños envueltos has a meaning beyond what I could glean, either a play on some other phrase or a connotation of envuelto that I'm missing. I know the word envuelto often shows up in the name of foods along the lines of what we'd call a "wrap", maybe that's all that's going on.
    • I can only sort of make sense of "en la que el personaje es una tarotista que trabaja en una línea erótica, recibe una valija con dólares marcados para sacarla del país a los fines de su lavado." Roughly: "in which the personage [I assume 'protagonist'] is a tarot reader who [literally: 'works in an erotic line' but what on earth does that mean?], and receives a suitcase of marked dollars to take them out of the country to launder the money."
    • I have no idea of your level of Spanish (if any). Should I try to engage the original author, or do you have someone available who might help out? - Jmabel | Talk 05:35, 14 September 2018 (UTC)
  • @Jmabel: Thanks again! You're awesome. I asked three Spanish-speaking friends for translation help, and only one responded haha. She said "envueltos" in this case might mean "intertwined", and she translated the second thing to "in which the main character is a tarot card reader who works in an erotic store (sex shop) and receives a briefcase full of money with instructions to take it out of the country for laundering." Hope this helps! - StevenSuperstar (talk) 06:28, 17 October 2018 (UTC)

Your thread has been archivedEdit

 

Hi Jmabel! You created a thread called Need help from a native speaker of Spanish at Wikipedia:Teahouse, but it has been archived because there was no discussion for a few days. You can still find the archived discussion here. If you have any additional questions that weren't answered then, please create a new thread.

Archival by Lowercase sigmabot III, notification delivery by Muninnbot, both automated accounts. You can opt out of future notifications by placing {{bots|deny=Muninnbot}} (ban this bot) or {{nobots}} (ban all bots) on your user talk page. Muninnbot (talk) 19:01, 18 September 2018 (UTC)


Collier's EncyclopediaEdit

Hi Jmabel! We met at the Seattle Wikipedia meet-up. One of the items on my to-do list is to do some work on the Collier's Encyclopedia entry. If you have a chance, take a look at the page for Crowell-Collier Publishing Company. In my quest to document publishing history--my hope is to up the game and provide a comprehensive story of who owned who, who bought who, who then became what, how their book/magazine lines changed over time, etc. In this entry, I started with the story of Crowell Publishing Company and the founder P.P. Mast and then it ends with them becoming Macmillan. I also covered a bit of how they went into the 1950s and grew the educational market. I'm planning on going back through the materials I sourced on the Crowell-Collier page to then flesh out the Collier's Encyclopedia page. I have a few entries on the various lawsuits, etc. I'd appreciate any feedback you have. Auldhouse (talk) 16:56, 28 September 2018 (UTC)

I'll be on the lookout for errors like that. I'm assuming the book should always go back to the publisher of record at the time the first edition was published. Auldhouse (talk) 16:44, 7 October 2018 (UTC)
@Auldhouse: In an article about a book: absolutely. In a citation, of course, you should cite the edition you actually used. - Jmabel | Talk 17:02, 7 October 2018 (UTC)

ArbCom 2018 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Jmabel. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 3 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Please join us for our Cascadia Wikimedians annual meeting, Saturday, December 29, 1 PMEdit

 
If you are in the Seattle area, please join us for our Cascadia Wikimedians annual meeting, Saturday, December 29, 1 PM. If you cannot attend in person, you may join us virtually from your PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android at this link: https://zoom.us/j/2207426850. The address of the physical meeting is: Capitol Hill Meeting Room at Capitol Hill Library (425 Harvard Ave. E., Seattle, WA 98102) 47°37′23″N 122°19′22″W / 47.622928°N 122.322912°W / 47.622928; -122.322912

The event page is here. You do not have to be a member to attend, but only members can vote in board elections. New members may join in person by completing the membership registration form onsite or (to be posted) online and paying $5 for a calendar year / $0.50 per month for the remainder of a year. Current members may renew for 2019 at the meeting as well.

Cascadia Wikimedians User Group is a recognized 501c3 non-profit organization in the US. EIN # 47-3513818 Our mail address is Cascadia Wikimedians User Group, 520 Kirkland Way, PO Box 2905, Kirkland, WA 98083.
08:07, 7 December 2018 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

Can I request for a translation of a permissions request letter?Edit

Hello and good day. For more than a year now, I've been trying to get a free image of the Japanese singer Konomi Suzuki, but have been unable to get one; the people and events I've asked have either been unable to respond, declined, or had licensing problems. I am asking this because right now she is in Brazil for an anime convention (for reference, the event's Facebook page is at this link), and I was hoping to ask permission from them for photos they've taken of her. Would it be alright for you if you would be able to translate a letter I will send you (based on the example at Wikipedia:Example requests for permission#Semi-formal, Polite, Concise) so I could send it to them? Thank you and happy editing. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 23:42, 13 December 2018 (UTC)

  • @Narutolovehinata5: I don't think my Portuguese is good enough for a translation into Portuguese. Like many Spanish-speakers, I read Portuguese reasonably well, but I have some trouble expressing myself. User:DarwIn is a native Portuguese speaker with good English, and would be a better bet for this. - Jmabel | Talk 23:51, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
Noted. Thanks for the response, though I've also contacted two other editor so far about this. Since DarwIn hasn't edited since the beginning of the month, if you have any more suggestions on who I could be referred to, that would be appreciated. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 00:03, 14 December 2018 (UTC)

@Narutolovehinata5: I don't edit much here at wiki-en, but I'm around. ;) About the translation: Sure, in a second (I hope Jmabel doesn't mind placing it here):


Caro/a (note:male/female) <Dr.> (note:use Dr. if the person has some kind of degree) <insert first+last name>: Sou um dos muitos editores voluntários da Wikipédia (wikipedia.org), uma enciclopédia colaborativa baseada na Web.

Venho respeitosamente solicitar sua permissão para usar esta excelente imagem, <anexada, ou no seu sítio da Internet, <add link here>>, como conteúdo da Wikipédia, no artigo Konomi Suzuki. A Wikipédia é uma enciclopédia multicultural de conteúdo aberto que ambiciona ter conteúdo completo e confiável. Voluntários de todo o mundo trabalham colaborativamente na criação de conteúdo, mas a Wikipedia depende de imagens como a sua para ilustrar esse conteúdo de forma clara.

É para essa nobre finalidade que lhe faço este pedido. No entanto, para que a Wikipédia possa usar conteúdo fornecido por você, precisamos que concorde com a licença Creative Commons Atribuição-CompartilhaIgual 3.0 Não Adaptada (CC BY-SA 3.0) (muitas vezes referida como CC-BY-SA). Esta licença permite que conserve seus direitos autorais e a autoria sobre seu trabalho, mas permite aos outros usarem, copiarem e partilharem seu trabalho de forma livre, incluindo em possível uso comercial, desde que não tentem chamar a si mesmos os direitos de autor de seu trabalho, ou tentem impedir que outros o usem ou copiem livremente (e.g., "CompartilhaIgual"). Pode ler o texto completo da licença aqui: "https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.pt_BR".

Caso me autorize o uso desta imagem, seu trabalho será reconhecido, <e> ficará escrito que está sendo usado com sua autorização e, caso deseje, colocaremos uma ligação para seu sítio da Internet.

Fico-lhe muito grato (note:"grata", in case you're a female) pela sua atenção a este pedido. Por favor informe-me de sua decisão <por mail, email, telefone, etc.> e eu agradecidamente o enviarei para a Fundação Wikimedia.

Muito obrigado, e espero que considere aceitar este meu pedido.

Atenciosamente, <real name>


I'll also try to ask someone from Wiki.pt to help you in that quest. :)

All the best, Darwin Ahoy! 00:24, 14 December 2018 (UTC)

@DarwIn:. Thanks. However, it would be nice if it could be mentioned in the letter that the image would be for our article on Konomi Suzuki. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 00:29, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
  Done Darwin Ahoy! 16:12, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
Thanks very much. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 08:12, 15 December 2018 (UTC)

Speculative philosophy listed at Redirects for discussionEdit

An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Speculative philosophy. Since you had some involvement with the Speculative philosophy redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. Matthew Fennell (talk) 17:34, 25 December 2018 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Rudolph MarksEdit

 

The article Rudolph Marks has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Both offline and online source searches (WorldCat, Scholar, Books, Google) reveal a few passing mentions but nothing which would satisfy notability guidelines for creative professionals or people in general.

While all constructive contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, pages may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the page to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. SITH (talk) 16:30, 30 December 2018 (UTC)

Nomination of Rudolph Marks for deletionEdit

 

A discussion is taking place as to whether the article Rudolph Marks is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Rudolph Marks until a consensus is reached, and anyone, including you, is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.

Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article. SITH (talk) 12:38, 2 January 2019 (UTC)

Wikipedia Day 2019 — curating images from Asahel Curtis and older Seattle photosEdit


 
First Hill, Seattle, c. 1903, showing intersection of Columbia St and Summit Ave, Seattle, a panorama built from three Asahel Curtis photographs.
In the Seattle area?

Tuesday evening, January 15, 2019, 6-9pm at Wayward Coffeehouse, 6417 Roosevelt Way NE #104, Seattle WA 98115

Wikipedia Day celebrates the anniversary of the founding of Wikipedia. This year in Seattle, Cascadia Wikimedians' celebration of Wikipedia Day will focus on a different closely related project: Wikimedia Commons, which (among other things) functions as the media repository for Wikipedia. When you see a photo or map in Wikipedia, or hear an audio clip, etc., it usually is hosted on Wikimedia Commons and "transcluded" into Wikipedia.

Wikimedia Commons is a mix of users' own works and curated third-party content, either public domain or free-licensed. Our event is a hands-on workshop in curating third-party content, mostly early 20th-century photos of Seattle and other West Coast locations.

Currently, Wikimedia Commons has two intersecting sets of older photos, one from the Asahel Curtis Photo Company and the other a more general set of Seattle images. At this meetup, we will celebrate the 18th anniversary of Wikipedia by further curating these images by the creation and addition of categories, adding ImageNotes where useful, linking other versions of the same photo, enhancing the descriptions, and identifying and correcting errors. User:Jmabel has already categorized over 1000 images and corrected several hundred wrong dates, misidentified buildings, and etc., but there is much more to be done.

For more information, please see Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle#Wikipedia Day 2019 — curating images from Asahel Curtis and older Seattle photos.

04:19, 9 January 2019 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Martha ChoeEdit

I reviewed this, and I am not convinced she is notable. Let's have an AfD and see what happens. If there is consensus she is notable, we can remove the tag, but IMHO that's a promotional entry on a non-notable individual. --Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| reply here 14:37, 15 January 2019 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for January 16Edit

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Martha Choe, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page South Korean (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are usually incorrect, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of unrelated topics with similar titles. (Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.)

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:35, 16 January 2019 (UTC)

Registered historic placesEdit

You have noted in comments at headings in various articles: "Registered Historic Places" is a proper noun, keep it capitalized. What is your basis for this? Seems wrong. Dicklyon (talk) 18:30, 21 January 2019 (UTC)

Those sources don't really support capping "Nationally Registered Historic Place"; one is just a motel ad and the other doesn't have it in a sentence. Books also don't. There's a lot unnecessary capping on web pages, but WP style is to avoid that, per MOS:CAPS. I'll work on case fixes; we can decide later if there's a better term. Dicklyon (talk) 05:09, 22 January 2019 (UTC)

Category:1830s in Oregon Territory has been nominated for discussionEdit

 

Category:1830s in Oregon Territory, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to decide whether this proposal complies with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. Aboutmovies (talk) 01:16, 9 February 2019 (UTC)

Category:1838 in Oregon Territory has been nominated for discussionEdit

 

Category:1838 in Oregon Territory, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to decide whether this proposal complies with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. Aboutmovies (talk) 01:16, 9 February 2019 (UTC)

Category:1830s establishments in Oregon Territory has been nominated for discussionEdit

 

Category:1830s establishments in Oregon Territory, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to decide whether this proposal complies with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. Aboutmovies (talk) 01:17, 9 February 2019 (UTC)

Category:1838 establishments in Oregon Territory has been nominated for discussionEdit

 

Category:1838 establishments in Oregon Territory, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to decide whether this proposal complies with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. Aboutmovies (talk) 01:17, 9 February 2019 (UTC)

Women’s History Wikithon, Washington State History Museum, Saturday 3/9Edit

 
Come document women's history in Washington state!
Women’s History Wikithon
 
Washington State History Museum in Tacoma, WA
FREE. Please register in advance. Includes museum admission and snacks; please bring a sack lunch plus a laptop.

Scholars and interested citizens are invited to come together for an afternoon of collaboration to create or improve Wikipedia pages related to Washington State’s suffrage history. Learn from seasoned “Wikipedians” how to edit wiki pages, and work in small groups with women’s history experts. Honor Women’s History Month by updating our reference materials to reflect the dedicated work of Washington’s women suffragists. Bring a brown bag lunch, we’ll provide snacks. Hosted by Washington State Historical Society.

Women's Suffrage Centennial Program, Washington State Historical Society -> Events & Programs
To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.
- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:14, 5 March 2019 (UTC)

Good NightEdit

Would it be a good idea to translate this article into English? I never asked you for anything. 2804:14C:5BB5:A5B7:214A:A1BD:7097:D221 (talk) 11:22, 31 March 2019 (UTC)

  • It certainly deserves to be translated, but my Portuguese is only at about the pt-1 level and I'm really busy both on Commons and in outside life, so I'm not necessarily the best person to do it. Do me a favor: if no one else picks it up before mid-April, feel free to get back to me and I'll try to find the time. - Jmabel | Talk 17:28, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
@Jmabel: The deadline has passed. Now you can? 2804:14C:5BB5:A5C6:2134:DFD4:477D:925A (talk) 05:30, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
  • Consider me informed, but I have absolutely no idea when I will have time to do this. - Jmabel | Talk 05:38, 15 April 2019 (UTC)

Art+Feminism, Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Saturday, April 6th, 1-5 PMEdit

 
For more info see
the meetup page
for Art+Feminism
.
Wikipedia’s gender trouble is well-documented. In a 2011 survey, the Wikimedia Foundation found that less than 10% of its contributors were women. While the reasons for the gender gap are up for debate, the practical effect of this disparity is not: content is skewed by the lack of representation from women.

Let’s change that.

To help change this, the Jacob Lawrence Gallery is continuing a series of Edit-a-thons to improve Wikipedia's coverage of womxn and gender non-binary artists of color.

Childcare, snacks from local businesses, and editing tutorials will be provided.

All you need to bring is your laptop, power cord, and ideas. No previous Wikipedia experience required!

Everyone is welcome. Access to UW wifi will be provided for non-UW affiliated participants.

Please create a Wikipedia account before the event.

RSVP through this Facebook event link.

When: Saturday, Apr. 6, 2019, 1–5 PM
Where: Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Art Building #132, 1915 NE Chelan Ln, Seattle, WA 98105
Event Sponsors: Jacob Lawrence Gallery, School of Art + Art History + Design
Event Page: Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
Parking: Free parking is normally available on campus after 12pm on Saturdays.

05:11, 4 April 2019 (UTC) To unsubscribe from future messages from Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle, please remove your name from this list.

Good night (2)Edit

Could you - if you please and can - translate this article to the English speakers please? att 2804:14C:5BB5:A5C6:E129:3929:667F:5D69 (talk) 05:00, 12 April 2019 (UTC)

  • Again: (1) I'm only a pt-1 level of Portuguese and (2) I work mainly on Commons. You would probably do well to find someone with more Portuguese and more time for Wikipedia. In addition, at the moment I am very backed up with tasks, both on Commons and "in real life." - Jmabel | Talk 05:11, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
Here would also be a good translation. 2804:14C:5BB5:A5C6:D97C:43B6:F8B0:3EF1 (talk) 00:03, 14 April 2019 (UTC)

ArbCom 2019 special circularEdit

 
Administrators must secure their accounts

The Arbitration Committee may require a new RfA if your account is compromised.

View additional information

This message was sent to all administrators following a recent motion. Thank you for your attention. For the Arbitration Committee, Cameron11598 02:17, 4 May 2019 (UTC)


Administrator account security (Correction to Arbcom 2019 special circular)Edit

ArbCom would like to apologise and correct our previous mass message in light of the response from the community.

Since November 2018, six administrator accounts have been compromised and temporarily desysopped. In an effort to help improve account security, our intention was to remind administrators of existing policies on account security — that they are required to "have strong passwords and follow appropriate personal security practices." We have updated our procedures to ensure that we enforce these policies more strictly in the future. The policies themselves have not changed. In particular, two-factor authentication remains an optional means of adding extra security to your account. The choice not to enable 2FA will not be considered when deciding to restore sysop privileges to administrator accounts that were compromised.

We are sorry for the wording of our previous message, which did not accurately convey this, and deeply regret the tone in which it was delivered.

For the Arbitration Committee, -Cameron11598 21:03, 4 May 2019 (UTC)


Translation of Villa AnnoniEdit

Hi, are you available to translate this article https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Annoni from Italian into English? There are a lot of American tourists coming to Cuggiono to see the Villa and I think it would be helpful to have an article in their mother tongue. --DelicateAloe (talk) 16:48, 20 May 2019 (UTC)

@DelicateAloe: I'm really up to my eyeballs with the projects I'm doing on Commons (not to mention my actual job). If you can find someone else to take this on, that would be good. I doubt I can get to it the next few months. - Jmabel | Talk 18:15, 20 May 2019 (UTC)

Hi, it's not urgent at all. I have tried asking other translators, too. If you ever have the time, do it. Otherwise, thanks for the prompt reply. --DelicateAloe (talk) 19:42, 20 May 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Jmabel".