Wikipedia:Meetup/Seattle is a meeting in Seattle which often, but not always, takes place on or around the second Tuesday of every month from 6-8 at Café Allegro in the University District. The purpose of the meeting is to collaborate Wikipedia projects among Seattle-area Wikipedia users and to share in-person Wikipedia training. The meetup is entirely volunteer run. Meetings are free to attend but buy your own coffee. If you intend to come, please put your name on the list!
Café Allegro is in the alley on 43rd between 15th and University Way, Red Square at the University of Washington. At night there is street parking on 15th. Here is Google's entry for the place and a map.. It is among the closest coffee shops to the western side of
Please note that the cafe has two downstairs rooms and one upstairs one. The upstairs room was renovated and it is possible to reserve tables for free or to rent the whole room. Generally we will reserve a table or two. Look for us upstairs at first, but sometimes we will be in the back room on the first floor.
Editing as Activism: Edit-A-Thon to Correct Systemic Bias in WikipediaEdit
When: Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 9am–1pm
Where: UW Libraries Research Commons, 4000 15th Ave NE, Seattle, Washington 98195
Who: Editors of all levels of experience welcome! This event is geared towards University of Washington student, faculty, and community members.
What to bring: Bring your laptops and power cords. A limited number of laptops will be available for loan.
- Help address the systematic biases relating to gender, race, and social class that lead to under-representation of topics, people, and organizations on Wikipedia!
- Edit and create pages that improve Wikipedia's coverage of historically marginalized communities with an emphasis on labor history found in the Labor Archives of Washington.
- Novice editors encouraged to attend an advance online tutorial that will be available to registrants. Support for beginners will be available onsite!
- For experts, we will also have specialized help around linked data.
- We will share a list of books, articles, and archival finding aids to edit with or editors can bring their own. A list of suggested entries and archival collections to add will be provided. We will help teach new editors how to edit at this workshop!
- All are welcome; this event is geared towards University of Washington student, faculty, and community members.
Light refreshments will be served.
- →Please register here!