California ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a U.S. state in the Pacific Region of the United States. With 39.5 million residents, California is the most populous state in the United States and the third largest by area. The state capital is Sacramento. The Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area are the nation's second- and fifth-most populous urban regions, with 18.7 million and 8.8 million residents respectively. Los Angeles is California's most populous city, and the country's second-most populous, after New York City. California also has the nation's most populous county, Los Angeles County; its largest county by area, San Bernardino County; and its fifth most densely populated county, San Francisco.
California's $2.8 trillion economy is larger than that of any other state. If it were a country, California would be the 5th largest economy in the world (larger than the UK or France), and the 36th most populous as of 2017. The Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area are the nation's second- and third-largest urban economies ($1.253 trillion and $878 billion respectively as of 2017), after the New York City metropolitan area. The San Francisco Bay Area PSA had the nation's highest GDP per capita in 2017 (~$99,000), and is home to four of the world's ten largest companies by market capitalization and four of the world's ten richest people.
California is considered a global trendsetter in popular culture, innovation, and politics. It is considered the origin of the American film industry, the hippie counterculture, the Internet, and the personal computer, among others. The San Francisco Bay Area and the Greater Los Angeles Area are widely seen as the centers of the global technology and entertainment industries, respectively. California has a very diverse economy: 58% of the state's economy is centered on finance, government, real estate services, technology, and professional, scientific and technical business services. Although it accounts for only 1.5% of the state's economy, California's agriculture industry has the highest output of any U.S. state.
California is bordered by Oregon to the north, Nevada and Arizona to the east, and the Mexican state of Baja California to the south. The state's diverse geography ranges from the Pacific Coast in the west to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the east, and from the redwood–Douglas fir forests in the northwest to the Mojave Desert in the southeast. The Central Valley, a major agricultural area, dominates the state's center. Although California is well-known for its warm Mediterranean climate, the large size of the state results in climates that vary from moist temperate rainforest in the north to arid desert in the interior, as well as snowy alpine in the mountains.
|The University of California, Riverside, commonly known as UCR or UC Riverside, is a public research university and one of 10 campuses of the University of California system. The main campus sits on 1,200 acres (486 ha) in a suburban district of Riverside, California, with a branch campus of 20 acres (8 ha) in Palm Desert. Founded in 1907 as the UC Citrus Experiment Station, Riverside pioneered research in biological pest control and the use of growth regulators responsible for extending the citrus growing season in California from four to nine months. Some of the world's most important research collections on citrus diversity and entomology, as well as photography, are located at Riverside.
UCR's undergraduate College of Letters and Science opened in 1954. The Regents of the University of California declared UCR a general campus of the system in 1959, and graduate students were admitted in 1961. The campus is projected to grow to an enrollment of 21,000 students by 2015. To accommodate this growth, more than $730 million has been invested in new construction projects since 1999. Plans are underway to open a medical school—California's first new one in 40 years—by 2012.
The original of Todd's Bear Flag, photographed in 1890
Torrance High School is one of the oldest high schools in continuous use in California and a popular location for television and motion picture production.
Had California been an independent country in 2008 its gross domestic product would have been ranked between eighth and eleventh in the world.
The population density of California
A map of California tribal groups and languages at the time of European contact.
A tree map depicting the distribution of occupations across the state of California
California GDP by sector in 2015.
Treemap of the popular vote by county, 2016 presidential election.
Did you know?
- Senators: Dianne Feinstein (D), Kamala Harris (D)
- Representatives: Doug LaMalfa (R), Jared Huffman (D), John Garamendi (D), Tom McClintock (R), Mike Thompson (D), Doris Matsui (D), Ami Bera (D), Paul Cook (R), Jerry McNerney (D), Jeff Denham (R), Mark DeSaulnier (D), Nancy Pelosi (D), Barbara Lee (D), Jackie Speier (D), Eric Swalwell (D), Jim Costa (D), Ro Khanna (D), Anna Eshoo (D), Zoe Lofgren (D), Jimmy Panetta (D), David Valadao (R), Devin Nunes (R), Kevin McCarthy (R), Salud Carbajal (D), Steve Knight (R), Julia Brownley (D), Judy Chu (D), Adam Schiff (D), Tony Cardenas (D), Brad Sherman (D), Pete Aguilar (D), Grace Napolitano (D), Ted Lieu (D), Jimmy Gomez (D), Norma Torres (D), Raul Ruiz (D), Karen Bass (D), Linda Sanchez (D), Ed Royce (R), Lucille Roybal-Allard (D), Mark Takano (D), Ken Calvert (R), Maxine Waters (D), Nanette Barragán (D), Mimi Walters (R), Lou Correa (D), Alan Lowenthal (D), Dana Rohrabacher (R), Darrell Issa (R), Duncan Hunter (R). Juan Vargas (D), Scott Peters (D), Susan Davis (D)
- Total area: 163,696 mi2
- Land: 156,002 mi2
- Water: 7,694 mi2
- Highest elevation: 14,505 ft (Mount Whitney)
- Population 39,250,017 (2016 est)
- Admission to the Union: September 9, 1850 (31th)
Clinton Eastwood, Jr.
(born May 31, 1930) is a 5-time Academy Award
-winning American film director
, and composer
. He has won Academy Awards
five times - twice each as Best Director
and as producer of the Best Picture
; he received the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
While his work as a director, on recent films like Letters from Iwo Jima and Million Dollar Baby, and also earlier films like High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales, have received a high degree of critical acclaim, Eastwood is best known for his tough guy, anti-hero acting roles. Examples of these are his performances in western films, such as in the Man with No Name in Sergio Leone's "Dollars trilogy" of Spaghetti Westerns, and as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry movies.
- File:1967 Mantra-Rock Dance Avalon poster.jpg
- File:2010 mavericks competition.jpg
- File:20070616 Chris Young visits Wrigley (4)-edit3.jpg
- File:Agassiz statue Mwc00715.jpg
- File:Albino Alligator 2008.jpg
- File:Bodie ghost town.jpg
- File:Border USA Mexico.jpg
- File:Burned mobile home neighborhood in California edit.jpg
- File:CA Ground Squirrel on rock.jpg
- File:CID Array.jpg
- File:California island Vinckeboons5.jpg
- File:California state coat of arms (illustrated, 1876).jpg
- File:Crystal Mountains CA02.jpg
- File:Deathvalleysky nps big.jpg
- File:Devastation in San Bruno.jpg
- File:EdwardTeller1958 fewer smudges.jpg
- File:Elephant seals fighting.jpg
- File:Fort Baker and Angel Island.jpg
- File:Fort Mason Center and Downtown San Francisco.jpg
- File:GGB reflection in raindrops.jpg
- File:Giant Marbles in Joshua Tree National Park.jpg
- File:GoldenGateBridge BakerBeach MC.jpg
- File:Grauman's Chinese Theatre, by Carol Highsmith fixed & straightened.jpg
- File:Greater Yellowlegs2.jpg
- File:Gull ca usa.jpg
- File:Hawk eating prey.jpg
- File:Hotel Del c1900b.jpg
- File:Jfader dryden.jpg
- File:Joshua tree keys view pano more vertical.jpg
- File:LAPD Bell 206 Jetranger.jpg
- File:LagunaBeachCA photo D Ramey Logan.JPG
- File:Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.jpg
- File:Los Angeles Pollution.jpg
- File:Los angeles from getty panorama.jpg
- File:Map of Cathedral Peak Granodiorite.svg
- File:Mission Santa Clara.jpg
- File:Mono lake tufa.JPG
- File:Official Portrait of President Reagan 1981.jpg
- File:Palace of Fine Arts San Francisco January 2014 003.jpg
- File:Photograph of Members of the Mochida Family Awaiting Evacuation - NARA - 537505 - Restoration.jpg
- File:Pioneertown california saloon and bath house.jpg
- File:Point Reyes Lighthouse (April 2012).jpg
- File:Randy's donuts1 edit1.jpg
- File:Ronald Reagan with cowboy hat 12-0071M edit.jpg
- File:San Francisco International Airport at night.jpg
- File:San Francisco in ruin edit2.jpg
- File:San gorgonio pass wind farm california pano.jpg
- File:SanFranciscoharbor1851c sharp.jpg
- File:Strip photo of San Francisco Cable Car 10.jpg
- File:Surfer in california 2.JPG
- File:Tower Bridge Sacramento edit.jpg
- File:USA Lassen NP Kings Creek CA edit3.jpg
- File:Vernal Falls Rainbow.jpg
- File:Vineyards of Napa Valley panorama.jpg
- File:Walt Disney Concert Hall, LA, CA, jjron 22.03.2012.jpg
- File:World War II woman aircraft worker, Vega Aircraft Corporation, Burbank, California 1942.jpg
- File:Zabriskie Point, Death Valley, California, panorama.jpg
- File:Zabriskie Point-Panorama-edit2.jpg
Things you can do