Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits. Educational methods include storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, and directed research. Education frequently takes place under the guidance of educators, however learners may also educate themselves. Education can take place in formal or informal settings and any experience that has a formative effect on the way one thinks, feels, or acts may be considered educational. The methodology of teaching is called pedagogy.
Formal education is commonly divided formally into such stages as preschool or kindergarten, primary school, secondary school and then college, university, or apprenticeship.
is the study of how humans
learn in educational
settings, the effectiveness of educational interventions, the psychology of teaching, and the social psychology
. Although the terms "educational psychology" and "school psychology" are often used interchangeably, researchers and theorists are likely to be identified as educational psychologists
, whereas practitioners in schools or school-related settings are identified as school psychologists
. Educational psychology is concerned with the processes of educational attainment among the general population and sub-populations such as gifted
children and those subject to specific disabilities
Instructional design, the systematic design of materials, activities and interactive environments for learning, is broadly informed by educational psychology theories and research. For example, in defining learning goals or objectives, instructional designers often use a taxonomy of educational objectives created by Benjamin Bloom and colleagues.
Kindergarten (German, "children's garden") is a name given in many parts of the world to the earliest stage of a child's structured classroom education. Typically this involves 3-6 year olds. In some places kindergarten is part of a formal public or private school system; in others it may merely refer to nursery school (pre-school) or daycare.
Latest education Wikinews
- 14 August 2019 –
- The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, a U.S.-based organization that aims to keep educational materials broadly accessible, has asked the Antitrust Division of the Justice Department to halt a planned merger between two large textbook companies, McGraw-Hill and Cengage, a merger it claims will cause students "irreparable harm". (Reuters)
- 13 August 2019 – Presidency of Jair Bolsonaro
- Hundreds of thousands of students, schoolteachers and university professors hold demonstrations across Brazil against sweeping cuts in the education budget. Protestors also voice opposition to the government's plan to delegate the administrative and financial management of federal universities and institutes to a privately-held fund. (Agência Brasil) (Telesur English)
- 2 August 2019 – Murder of Alexandra Măceșanu
- Romanian Prime Minister Viorica Dăncilă sacks Minister of Education Ecaterina Andronescu for her controversial comments in a television interview about murdered 15-year-old girl Alexandra Măceșanu, saying she was "taught not to get in cars with strangers". A 65-year-old man has since admitted killing Alexandra Măceșanu and another teenage girl who has been missing since April. (BBC)
- 2 July 2019 – Education in Argentina, Argentina–Cuba relations
- Argentine Education Minister Alejandro Finocchiaro, who strongly condemned a school in Chaco Province for displaying a Cuban flag and displaying pictures of Che Guevara, says the school "has no supervision" and that they are "indoctrinating children with communism and totalitarian and populist governments". He also added in an interview on state TV that the school will be reviewed. (La Nación) (Clarín)
- 27 June 2019 – Argentina–Cuba relations
- Argentina Education Minister Alejandro Finocchiaro strongly condemns a school in Chaco Province for displaying a Cuban flag on Argentina's Flag Day, asking, "What differences are there between the Cuban regime and the Nazis?" He also describes Che Guevara as a "criminal and genocider". (Clarín)
- 14 June 2019 – Presidency of Jair Bolsonaro
- In response to a controversial pension reform proposal and cuts in the education budget, a general strike by over 40 million workers takes place in Brazil. Demonstrations are held in over 80 cities across the country. (France24)
Did you know...
- ...that race car journalist and former race car driver Dr. Dick Berggren decided to stop teaching college psychology after he was called into the college president's office because he parked his racecar in the faculty parking lot?
Things you can do
Join the Education WikiProject
- Help work on the tasks list
Education WikiProject and Portal
Here are some Education
related tasks you can do
- Focus (top priority) articles:
- Refine/polish to FA status:
Constructivism (learning theory),
Early childhood education,
Philosophy of education,
Coordinate with m:Wikiversity (on Meta; also on Wikibooks),
Coordinate at the Wikipedia:Education noticeboard based upon Wikipedia:Student assignments,
List of community colleges in the United States with campus housing
Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman University,
Glossary of education-related terms (A-C),
Learning theory (education),
Nursery school (redirect from "Preschool"),
Knowledge Cafe, LogoVisual thinking, Whole language, Reading comprehension, Learning to read,
Year One (education), Year Two, Year Three, Year Four, Year Five, Year Six, Year Seven, Year Eight, Year Nine, Year Ten, Year Eleven, Year Twelve, Edutainment, Four stages of competence, Intellectual giftedness, Hebbian theory,
Applied behavior analysis, Bullying, Charter school, Collegiate Network, Direct instruction, Education reform, Gregg Harris, Theory of multiple intelligences, Youth subculture,
Puerto Rico Schools for the 21st Century,12 California Association of Student Leaders, Lunch shaming (see sources on next link),
Psychology of learning (merge?),
Add sources to Unreferenced BLPs
Community podcast, Basic writing, Interprofessional education
- Add Global Perspectives:
- Other issues:
- Note: These articles may overlap with those on Alternative education or other related lists. If you would like to make a change, either do so yourself, or make a suggestion.