A day school—as opposed to a boarding school—is an educational institution where children (or high school age adolescents) are given instruction during the day, after which the students return to their homes. The term can also be used to emphasize the length of full-day programs as opposed to after-school programs, as in Jewish day school.
The term one-day school may be used for a one-off series of lectures or classes, taking place on a single day, usually on a particular topic and usually directed at adult learners with little time to spare.
- "Day school definition, a school open for instruction on weekdays only, usually from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. "Day school - dictionary.com".
- "Founded in 1969. The Day School is one of the best preschools in the ... area." "Preschool, Mothers Morning Out - The Day School".
- "It was graduation day for the Steppingstone Day School in Kew Gardens, Queens, and the 5-year-olds in their little white gowns and mortarboards ..." Michael T. Kaufman (June 23, 1993). "A Graduation Ceremony Earns Special Cheers". The New York Times.
- "... for students in grades 3K-12. "Day School: Independent Private School".
- "One-Day School. This 1-day, 4-hour school is designed to give players an overview of golf in a shortened time period." "One-Day School - Chelsea Piers NYC".