Secret Superstar is a 2017 Indian musical drama film, written and directed by Advait Chandan, and produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao. The film stars Zaira Wasim, Meher Vij, Raj Arjun and Aamir Khan. The film tells the coming-of-age story of a teenage girl who aspires to be a singer, uploading videos on YouTube while disguising her identity with a niqab, and her relationships with her mother, father and mentor. The film deals with social issues including feminism, gender equality and domestic violence.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Advait Chandan|
|Produced by||Aamir Khan|
|Written by||Advait Chandan|
|Music by||Amit Trivedi|
|Edited by||Hemanti Sarkar|
|Distributed by||Zee Studios|
|Box office||₹966.86 crore (see below)|
The film received positive reviews from critics. Wasim won the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement. Secret Superstar received ten nominations at the 63rd Filmfare Awards, including Best Film, Best Director for Chandan, Best Actress for Wasim, and Best Supporting Actor for Khan. It won three Filmfare Awards, including Best Actress (Critics) for Wasim, Best Supporting Actress for Vij, and Best Playback Singer (Female) for Meghna Mishra.
Secret Superstar became one of the most profitable films of all time, grossing ₹965 crore ($154 million) worldwide on a limited budget of ₹15 crore (US$2.1 million), with over 6,000% return on investment (ROI). It is also the highest-grossing Indian film featuring a female protagonist, the highest-grossing 2017 Hindi film, the third highest-grossing Indian film worldwide, and the second highest-grossing Indian film overseas. In China, it is the fifth highest-grossing foreign film of 2018, and the second highest-grossing non-English foreign film ever (after Dangal). Its opening weekend in China had the highest single-territory weekend gross for a 2017 Hindi film, entering the worldwide weekend box office at number-two, with the highest single-territory gross that weekend.
Insia Malik (Zaira Wasim), 15, a Muslim girl, lives in Baroda with her mother Najma (Meher Vij), her brother Guddu, her grand-mother and her abusive and orthodox father Farookh (Raj Arjun) who often beats his wife. Insia is very passionate about singing but her father is against her dream of being a singer. He goes out of town for work and returns only once a week.
Though Insia cannot participate in a music competition, Najma gifts Insia a laptop which was the prize. She records a song wearing a niqab, so Farookh can't find out her identity, and uploads the video on YouTube under the name of 'Secret Superstar'. She becomes an overnight sensation and grabs the attention of Shakti Kumar (Aamir Khan), a talented but pretentious music director based in Mumbai. He requests Insia to record a song, but she refuses as she hears a lot of negative reviews of him. One day, she leaves her tuition test to read a newspaper article about her. At her roof, Chintan (Tirth Sharma) reveals that he knows Insia is the Secret Superstar. He proposes to her which she blushes and rejects. Due to her poor test grade, Farookh breaks her guitar.
The next night, after discovering Najma sold her necklace to buy Insia's laptop, Farookh beats her harshly and forces Insia to throw her laptop from the balcony. After seeing a famous lawyer on TV who won a divorce case against Shakti Kumar, Insia decides to accept Shakti's offer to sing for him in order to get her parents to divorce. Insia gets in contact with Shakti and goes to Mumbai to record a song. While escaping from school with help from Chintan, she declares her love for him. In Mumbai, she is unable to sing the party song, as she feels the song is like a remix of another one which never released, He sings to her his originally-written song. Insia records the original version of the song and her fame increases as she is nominated for the Best Female Singer.
Shakti reluctantly fixes her meeting with his ex-wife's lawyer who gives Insia some files for signatures. Once home, her mother harshly rejects Insia's suggestion for divorce as they would have no financial support otherwise. Insia becomes angry but later forgives her, after her grandmother reveals how Najma struggled to keep Insia alive despite Farookh's efforts to abort her. Farookh reveals that he got a better job in Riyadh,and she's disappointed as Farookh is taking the entire family with him and Insia would also marry his friend's son. He confirms their departure on the last day of Insia's exams.
On the final day of school, Insia and Chintan spend their last joyful moments together. At the airport, a counter clerk informs Farookh about an extra bag having the guitar. Farookh scolds Najma to which she protests. She angrily signs the divorce papers and marches out of the airport with her kids leaving Farookh. All three attend the awards ceremony where Insia has been nominated for Best Female Singer. Unfortunately, Secret Superstar does not win the award. But the winner, Monali Thakur, hands over the award to her who comes on stage. Insia reveals her identity to everyone and dedicates her award to Najma and deems her the true 'Secret Superstar' since she supported and fought for Insia always. She drops the mic and embraces with Najma.
The screen fades to a message dedicating the movie "To Mothers And Motherhood." Later, Shakti releases his party song on YouTube dedicated to Insia.
- Zaira Wasim as Insia Malik
- Meher Vij as Najma Malik, Insia's mother
- Raj Arjun as Farookh Malik, Insia's father
- Aamir Khan as Shakti Kumar
- Tirth Sharma as Chintan Parekh, Insia's Boyfriend
- Kabir Sajid as Guddu, Insia's younger Brother
- Farrukh Jaffer as Badi Aapa
- Mona Ambegaonkar as Sheena Sabawala,Lawyer
- Shamath Mazumdar as Recordist Ali
- Manuj Sharma as Ranjeet Kumar, Shakti Kumar's assistant
- Nikita Anand Mukherjee as Insia's tuition teacher
- Harsh Jha as Insia's friend
- Saloni Mehta as a teacher
- Shaan as himself (cameo)
- Monali Thakur as herself (cameo)
Chandan conceived of the film during the first season of Aamir Khan's television talk show Satyamev Jayate. While doing the research on the episode about domestic violence, Advait Chandan came across Shanno, a single mother and a victim of domestic abuse. After her husband died, Shanno decided to join a driving school and become a driver so as to run her house, a decision that had the full support of her daughter who was willing to work as a maid so that her mother could go and learn driving. Shanno was successful in becoming a driver and through that she managed to support her house. This story redefined the word hero for Advait Chandan who says, "That is when I realised that my idea of a hero was really narrow. Shanno’s daughter is the real hero here. The definition of a hero for me and what I was writing about, it totally changed at that moment."
During the third season of Satyamev Jayate, the first episode narrated the success story of ten year old Shubham Jaglan, son of a milkman and the youngest golf champion of India. Shubham revealed that he learned 60 per cent of Golf through YouTube videos. The story of Shubham further helped Advait Chandan in the development of his film Secret Superstar. Advait says that, "I feel like the middle class is really getting affected by the internet. I never went to film school, but I can sit here and watch a lesson on Stanley Kubrick’s camera movements, for example. The internet is empowering the middle class in a way that really needed to be captured on film. That was the umbrella idea—a mother and daughter in middle-class, small-town India getting empowered by this amazing tool that is giving platform to talent."
In July 2015 it was reported that Aamir Khan shall be collaborating with his manager Advait Chandan and music composer A. R. Rahman for a film that was initially titled Aaj Phir Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai. In late April 2016, the title of the film was said to be Secret Superstar. A.R. Rahman later opted out of the film, citing schedule conflicts. He was replaced by Amit Trivedi.
Casting and filmingEdit
Aamir Khan had cast Zaira Wasim, when she was aged 14, in Dangal (2016). Shortly afterwards, Advait told Khan that he was looking for a girl of a similar age for the lead role of his film Secret Superstar, and Khan suggested Wasim. After Advait tested her, he was impressed and cast her in the lead role.
The film was produced with a limited budget. Most sources state the production budget is ₹15 crore (US$2.1 million). Rob Cain gives the film's total production and marketing budget as ₹25 crore (US$3.5 million). Box Office India gives its budget as ₹45 crore (US$6.3 million), but it is not known if this includes marketing costs.[a]
Secret Superstar was originally set to release on 4 August 2017, but it was later postponed to 19 October 2017. The film released in 1,100 theatres with 1,800 screens in India, and opened on 2,840 screens worldwide. The film made its Indian television debut on Zee Cinema, airing on 24–25 February 2018 in India.
The film released in Taiwan on 24 November 2017, on 73 screens, more than Dangal. It was also announced that Secret Superstar would release in Russia, on 50 screens. The film was released in Russia on 8 February 2018. The same month, it was announced that there are plans to release the film in Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong. The film had a theatrical release in the Philippines on 31 March 2018.
Aamir Khan announced in late October 2017 that he would be planning to release Secret Superstar in China over the next one or two months. The film released in China on 19 January 2018. It is the first Indian film to have a revenue-sharing deal, which is usually reserved for big Hollywood films. Khan's share of Chinese box office revenue will be 25%, compared to his 12.5% share for Dangal. Secret Superstar was released on 11,000 screens in China.
Secret Superstar's China premiere was in Beijing on 16 January 2018, and was attended by director Advait Chandan, actress Zaira Wasim, and singer Meghna Mishra. Khan could not attend, but planned to visit China shortly after the film's release. The premiere was also attended by Chinese filmmakers such as Peter Chan, Tsai Yueh Hsun, Daming Chen, and Zhang Jiajia, and Chinese actors such as the Luu Brothers. The film's reception at the premiere was positive, which includes Hong Kong filmmaker Peter Chan calling it his second-favourite Indian film after 3 Idiots (2009), and writer-director Zhang Jiajia being impressed with the film's theme of empowering women to pursue their dreams. Upon release, the film was promoted with a manhua comic featuring Aamir Khan with the same title as the film.
Khan began his tour of China on 22 January 2018, and was greeted by film star Deng Chao upon arrival. He visited Shanghai, where he was welcomed by large crowds of fans. He then visited Beijing, where he attended the "Red Carpet for Aamir Khan and His Friends" event with Chandan and Wasim, then the Chinese-Indian Film Forum, and the film's press conference. The Chinese-Indian Film Forum, held by CCTV, was attended by a number of Chinese directors, stars, and film critics, including Chinese filmmaker Yu Baimei and Hong Kong filmmaker Stanley Tong, as well as former Olympic champion Liu Guoliang with whom Khan played a competitive ping pong (table tennis) match. Khan was also greeted by actor-singer Huang Bo, as well as other film stars including Liu Yifei and Jackie Chan in video messages.
The film released in Hong Kong on 12 April 2018. On 15 April 2018, Aamir Khan arrived in Hong Kong for promotions. Khan and Zaira Wasim attended a promotional event with Hong Kong film star Andy Lau, who Khan has often been compared to by Chinese media. Khan and Wasim also attended the 37th Hong Kong Film Awards, where Khan presented the Best Actor award to actor Louis Koo. On 16 April 2018, Khan attended an event at the University of Hong Kong along with Cantopop singer Kay Tse, who later also attended the film's premiere.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||18 October 2017|
|Studio||A T Studios|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Amit Trivedi chronology|
|Singles from Secret Superstar 1|
|1.||"Main Kaun Hoon"||Meghna Mishra||03:45|
|2.||"Meri Pyaari Ammi"||Meghna Mishra||05:28|
|3.||"Sapne Re"||Meghna Mishra||04:10|
|4.||"I'll Miss You"||Kushal Chokshi||05:12|
|5.||"Nachdi Phira"||Meghna Mishra||04:15|
|6.||"Sexy Baliye"||Mika Singh||03:13|
|8.||"O Re Manwa"||Meghna Mishra||03:40|
For the film's China release, a Mandarin Chinese version of the song "Main Kaun Hoon" was sung by actor-singer Huang Bo. He was previously Aamir Khan's voice actor for the Mandarin dub of 3 Idiots.
The film's worldwide gross was ₹101 crore by 31 October 2017, and then ₹150 crore (US$21 million) by 18 January 2018 prior to its China release. Compared to its limited budget, Secret Superstar became one of the most profitable films of all time. Following its China release on 19 January 2018, it grossed more than ₹900 crore (US$130 million) worldwide by 15 February 2018, on a budget of ₹15 crore (US$2.1 million), over 6,000% return on investment (ROI), one of the highest of all time. In comparison, only two films have exceeded $6,000% ROI at the US box office, Paranormal Activity (2009) and The Gallows (2015).
It is the highest-grossing 2017 Hindi film, and the second-highest-grossing Hindi film of all time, behind only Dangal (2016). It is also the third-highest-grossing Indian film of all time, behind only Dangal and Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), after surpassing Aamir Khan's own PK (2014). With Secret Superstar, Aamir Khan has become the only Indian actor with four films in the 500-crore club, after Dhoom 3 (2013), PK, and Dangal (2016), as well as the only Indian actor with three $100 million grossers, after PK and Dangal. Secret Superstar grossed ₹965 crore (US$130 million) worldwide by 27 February 2018.
|India||₹90 crore (US$13 million) – ₹64 crore nett|
|China||US$124.4 million (₹863 crore)|
|Hong Kong||HK$14 million – US$1,803,601 (₹118 million)|
|Russia||US$6,682 (₹4.4 lakh)|
|Other territories||₹65 crore (US$9.0 million)|
|United States and Canada||₹13.89 crore (US$1.9 million)|
|Arab Gulf States (GCC)||₹9.89 crore (US$1.4 million)|
|Taiwan||NT$26.2 million – ₹5.8 crore (US$900,000)|
|United Kingdom||£628,000 – ₹5.8 crore (US$800,000)|
|Turkey||US$468,276 (₹3.05 crore)|
|Australia||A$278,230 – US$212,844 (₹1.4 crore)|
|Overseas total||₹940 crore (US$130 million)|
|Worldwide total||₹977 crore (US$154 million)|
Secret Superstar grossed ₹48 crore (US$6.7 million) in its first week in India. The film grossed over ₹58 crore (US$8.1 million) after ten days at the domestic Indian box office. By 13 November 2017, the film grossed ₹83 crore (US$12.8 million) in India, including a nett of ₹75 crore (US$10 million). By the end of 2017, the film grossed ₹89 crore (US$12 million) in India.
As of 28 January 2018, its domestic gross is ₹90 crore (US$13 million), including a nett ₹64 crore (US$8.9 million), with footfalls of 5.1 million audiences. It was declared a hit at the Indian box office, and is domestically one of 2017's five most commercially successful Bollywood films, along with Tiger Zinda Hai, Golmaal Again, Raees, and Badrinath Ki Dulhania.
Secret Superstar grossed US$2.8 million overseas in its first weekend, performing well in unconventional markets, entering the top four in Turkey and the top ten in the United Kingdom. The film's overseas gross in its opening weekend was US$2,116,565 in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Arab states of the Persian Gulf, Australia and Pakistan. The film grossed US$468,276 in Turkey, as of 19 November 2017, surpassing Dangal's performance in Turkey. In the United Kingdom, Secret Superstar grossed £500,000 (US$641,026) by 30 October 2017, and grossed ₹5.42 crore (US$750,000) as of 26 November 2017. It has also grossed ₹13.89 crore (US$1.9 million) in the United States and Canada as of 10 December 2017, and ₹9.89 crore (US$1.4 million) in the Arab states of the Persian Gulf as of 5 November 2017. By 22 November 2017, the film had grossed US$6.48 million (₹42.2 crore) overseas.
In Taiwan, where it released on 24 November 2017, the film grossed US$285,000 (₹1.85 crore) in five days, which is 77% of the amount that Dangal grossed in its first five days there, as of 29 November 2017. The film entered at number three on the Taiwan box office charts. Seventeen days after release, Secret Superstar grossed ₹4.6 crore (US$640,000) in Taiwan, where it crossed US$815,000 (₹5.3 crore) by 19 December 2017, increasing the film's overseas gross to ₹49 crore (US$6.8 million). As of 28 January 2018, the film's Taiwan gross is NT$26.2 million, equivalent to ₹5.8 crore (US$900,000). Excluding China, the film has grossed ₹65 crore (US$9.0 million) in other overseas territories as of 28 January 2018.
During its opening weekend in China, the film's overseas gross reached ₹223 crore (US$31 million) by 21 January 2018. It established Aamir Khan as the only Indian actor with five films crossing US$20 million overseas, after 3 Idiots (2009), Dhoom 3 (2013), PK (2014), and Dangal (2016). During its opening weekend in China, Secret Superstar emerged as the weekend's highest-grossing film in a single international market, and the second-highest-grossing film overall at the worldwide box office, behind only Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (in 93 markets), and above other Hollywood films such as Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Insidious: The Last Key, and Maze Runner: The Death Cure. In its second weekend, Secret Superstar remained the second-highest-grossing film at the international box office, behind Maze Runner and ahead of Jumanji. By 8 February 2018, Secret Superstar grossed US$109.23 million overseas, establishing Aamir Khan as the only Indian actor with two US$100 million overseas grossers. It is the highest-grossing 2017 Indian film overseas, surpassing Tiger Zinda Hai and Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, and the second-highest-grossing Indian film ever overseas, surpassing PK and behind only Dangal.
In China, the film earned US$9.9 million (₹43 crore) in ticket presales by 15 January 2018. Upon release on 19 January 2018, Secret Superstar topped the Chinese box office with a 25.3% market share, followed by Zhang Ziyi starrer Forever Young with a 16% share. By the end of its opening day, Secret Suparstar had grossed US$7.03 million (₹46 crore), surpassing Dangal's US$2.35 million opening to become the biggest debut for an Indian film. The film grossed US$11 million on its second day, remaining at the top of the box office. Its initial two-day gross in China was US$18 million (₹117 crore) by 20 January 2018, surpassing the film's lifetime India gross, as well as surpassing Dangal's initial two-day China gross of ₹44.97 crore (US$6.3 million).
Secret Superstar's opening weekend gross was US$29.2 million (₹200 crore), after its show count rose from 56,000 screenings on Friday to 63,000 on Sunday. It topped the Chinese box office in its opening weekend, despite crowded competition, from Chinese films such as Forever Young and A Better Tomorrow 2018 as well as Hollywood films such as Ferdinand, Wonder, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Secret Superstar's opening weekend gross in China more than doubled its lifetime gross in India. It set the record for the highest opening weekend gross for an Indian film in China, surpassing Dangal, and is the second Indian film in less than a year to top the Chinese box office, after Dangal. Secret Superstar also became the second-highest-grossing Indian film in China, surpassing PK and behind only Dangal. Secret Superstar's weekend gross in China is also the highest single-territory weekend gross for a 2017 Hindi film, surpassing the opening-weekend India gross of Tiger Zinda Hai (₹175 crore) and the Hindi version of Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (₹128 crore).
In four days, the film grossed $33 million (₹215 crore) in China. On its fifth day, its daily show count increased to over 64,000 screenings, and it gained a 33.7% market share of the Chinese box office. In six days, the film grossed $43 million, surpassing the lifetime China gross of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Secret Superstar's first-week gross in China was $47.1 million (₹307 crore), a record for an Indian film and surpassing the first-week gross of Avatar (2009) in China. On its second Friday, new Hollywood release Maze Runner: The Death Cure took the top spot, before Secret Superstar regained the top spot on Sunday, grossing $20 million in its second weekend. It crossed the ₹400 crore milestone within nine days, and beat Maze Runner to top the weekly box office with $41 million, giving a cume of $70 million grossed in ten days by 28 January 2018, compared to Dangal which grossed ₹417 crore (US$58 million) in two weeks. Secret Superstar grossed $77 million in 13 days, surpassing the lifetime China gross of Dwayne Johnson starrer Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle to become China's highest-grossing foreign film in the first quarter of 2018. In two weeks, Secret Superstar grossed $80 million.
It topped the box office again in its third weekend with $12 million, beating seven new releases, including Hugh Jackman starrer The Greatest Showman, Chinese films Till the End of The World and Boonie Bears: The Big Shrink, and Japanese film Miracles of the Namiya General Store. Secret Superstar also topped the weekly chart again with $26 million, giving a cume of $96 million grossed in 17 days by 4 February 2018. The film remained at the top of the box office in its fourth weekend with $8.7 million, and it topped the weekly box office again with $19 million. As of 18 February 2018, the film's China gross is $124.4 million (₹810 crore), from an audience of 25 million viewers. It was China's third-highest-grossing film in the first quarter of 2018, behind only two domestic productions, and one of the top 70 highest-grossing films ever in China. It also surpassed Japanese anime film Your Name to become the second-highest-grossing non-English foreign film ever in China, after Dangal, and the third-highest-grossing non-English foreign film in any market, after Dangal in China and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) in North America. Secret Superstar was also the highest-grossing foreign film in China during the first quarter of 2018, ahead of Hollywood films including Black Panther, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Tomb Raider, Maze Runner: The Death Cure and Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
In Hong Kong, the film's preview gross by 5 April 2018 was HK$1,321,332, equivalent to ₹1.09 crore (US$150,000). By 8 April 2018, the film's preview gross was HK$2,6666666261, equivalent to ₹1.78 crore (US$250,000), debuting at number four at the weekly box office from previews. On its opening day, 12 April 2018, the film's gross was HK$2,742,482, equivalent to ₹2.28 crore (US$320,000). On its second day, the film's gross was HK$3,247,799, equivalent to ₹2.7 crore (US$380,000). On its third day, the film's gross was HK$4,163,243, equivalent to ₹3.46 crore (US$480,000).
In four days, the film grossed HK$6,059,989, equivalent to ₹5.07 crore (US$710,000). In ten days, the film grossed HK$8,953,60, equivalent to ₹7.56 crore (US$1.1 million). In 12 days, the film grossed HK$9.07 million, equivalent to ₹7.62 crore (US$1.1 million). By its third week, the film had grossed HK$11,470,497, equivalent to ₹9.75 crore (US$1.4 million). By its fourth week, the film had grossed HK$12,016,153, equivalent to ₹10.23 crore (US$1.4 million). In 26 days, as of 6 May 2018, the film grossed HK$12.25 million, equivalent to ₹10.3 crore (US$1.4 million). As of 7 September 2018, the film grossed HK$14 million, equivalent to US$1,803,601 (₹118 million).
The film has received positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, Secret Superstar has an approval rating of 88% based on seven English-language reviews, with an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Mike McCahill of The Guardian gave the film a rating of 4 out of 5 stars and praised the film by saying that "This is first-class entertainment, the best imaginable antidote to the toxicity presently leaking out of western movie circles." Meena Iyer of The Times of India gave the film a rating of 4 stars out of 5 and said that, "If your world revolves around your mother, you're going to root for this film."
Rajeev Masand gave the film a rating of 3.5 stars out of 5 describing it as "an inspiring journey towards empowerment, a case for pursuing one's passion against all odds, a testament to the deep mother-daughter bond, and a convincing depiction of teenage years." He praised the performances of the actors with a special mention for the lead actress Zaira Wasim saying "Standing tall amidst a pitch-perfect ensemble, is Zaira Wasim as Insiya, who comes off as something of an old soul trapped in a teenager's body. Wise beyond her years, she is riveting on screen, in the manner in which she appears to sing using her entire being, or the little moments of crushing disappointment and excitement that are reflected on the canvas that is her expressive face."
Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV said Secret Superstar "is a bit like an over-enthusiastic child gifted a new bicycle. It never takes the foot off the pedal. The overlong film could have done with more restraint. It frequently seems to get carried away by the urge not to miss any trick in the book." However, he praised the performances of its actors, saying, "Zaira is an absolute treat—a bundle of miracles! As for the wonderful Meher Vij, one can only ask: where was she all these years? We hope to see more of her on the big screen." He concluded that "Secret Superstar is a winner notwithstanding the bumps along the way."
Rohit Vats of Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 3 stars out of 5. He highlighted the positive aspects of the film saying that, "Secret Superstar's biggest asset is Aamir Khan. His comedy despite being slapstick in nature, is worth noticing. Zaira Wasim lives up to the expectations and the film has a message." and the negative aspect of the film as well saying that, "Secret Superstar has everything you ask for, but it isn't exceptional storytelling. If there is one thing that can be blamed for it, it’s the overt melodrama."
Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express praised the acting performances and the first half of the movie saying that, "The biggest strength of Secret Superstar is the wonderful Wasim who was also in Dangal. Both Vij as the mother and Arjun as the father are terrific, especially the latter, who doesn't put a foot wrong." but she wasn't impressed with the second half of the film and said that, "The second half slides. The confidence that the narrative shows in the beginning begins to waver as it includes contrivances and predictable curves." She gave the film a rating of 2.5 stars out of 5.
In China, the film also received critical acclaim. Chinese newspaper People's Daily, for example, praised the film for "touching the soul". In Hong Kong, Nicola Chan of South China Morning Post rated the film 4 out of 5 stars. She called it a "crowd-pleaser that explores the sacred mother-daughter bond" and praised the performances of Khan, Wasim and Vij. Richard James Havis of South China Morning Post also rated it 4 out of 5 stars. He called it "a tough story about domestic abuse and female empowerment" and noted "India’s energetic and freewheeling style of cinema can offer a new way of telling a story," such as the "idea of having Insia – who does not usually wear a burka – don the garment to disguise herself when she performs on YouTube is very clever, in the sense it’s a reasonable way for her to solve her problem of anonymity."
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Date of Ceremony||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref|
|16 November 2017||National Child Awards||Exceptional Achievement||Zaira Wasim (also for Dangal)||Won|||
|4 December 2017||Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Zaira Wasim (also for Dangal)||Won|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female||Meher Vij (jointly with Neha Dhupia for Tumhari Sulu)|
|Most Promising Debut Director||Advait Chandan||Nominated|
|30 December 2017||Zee Cine Awards||Best Actor – Female (Viewer's Choice)||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|||
|Best Actor – Female (Jury's Choice)|
|Best Film (Viewer's Choice)||Secret Superstar||Nominated|
|Best Film (Jury's Choice)|
|Best Writing||Advait Chandan||Nominated|
|Best Debutant Director||Advait Chandan||Won|
|Best Music Director||Amit Trivedi|
|Best Supporting Actor (Female)||Meher Vij|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Raj Arjun|
|Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Nominated|
|Best Lyrics||Kausar Munir (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")|
|16 January 2018||Films of India Online Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|||
|Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Meher Vij|
|Best Music Director||Amit Trivedi|
|Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Won|
|Best Soundtrack||"Main Kaun Hoon"||Nominated|
|20 January 2018||Filmfare Awards||Best Film||Secret Superstar||Nominated|||
|Best Director||Advait Chandan||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|
|Best Actress (Critics)||Zaira Wasim||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Aamir Khan||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Meher Vij||Won|
|Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Nachdi Phira")|
|Best Music Album||Amit Trivedi||Nominated|
|Best Lyrics||Kausar Munir (for the song "Nachdi Phira")|
|24 January 2018||Lions Gold Awards||Best Supporting Actor (Male/Female)||Meher Vij||Won|||
|28 January 2018||Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Female Vocalist of The Year||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Won|||
|Meghna Mishra (for the song "Meri Pyaari Ammi")||Nominated|
|Meghna Mishra (for the song "Nachdi Phira")||Nominated|
|Album of The Year||Amit Trivedi, Kausar Munir||Nominated|
|6 March 2018||Bollywood Film Journalists Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Meher Vij||Won|||
|Best Male Debut||Tirth Sharma||Won|
|Best Music Director||Amit Trivedi||Won|
|Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Nachdi Phira")||Won|
|Meghna Mishra (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Won|
|Best Lyrics||Kausar Munir (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Won|
|20 March 2018||News18 Reel Movie Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Meher Vij||Won|||
|Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Nachdi Phira")||Won|
|Best Actress||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|||
|Best Screenplay||Advait Chandan||Nominated|
|Best Sound||Amit Trivedi||Nominated|
|22 June 2018||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Playback Singer – Female||Meghna Mishra (for the song "Main Kaun Hoon")||Won|||
|Best Actress||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Meher Vij||Won|
|10 August 2018||Indian Film Festival of Melbourne||Best Film||Secret Superstar||Nominated|||
|Best Director||Advait Chandan||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Zaira Wasim||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Performance (Male/Female)||Meher Vij||Nominated|
Secret Superstar's strong opening in China was helped by Aamir Khan's significant following in the country, along with strong word-of-mouth, influenced by high audience ratings of 9.6 out of 10 on Maoyan and 8.2 out of 10 on Douban. The film was also trending on Chinese social media platforms, including WeChat and Douban, and dominated discussions on Sina Weibo. Along with Khan, audiences also recognised Zaira Wasim from Dangal. The film's strong opening weekend cemented Aamir Khan's status as a superstar in China, and as "a king of the Chinese box office". Aamir Khan's earnings for Secret Superstar from the China box office is estimated to be ₹190 crore (US$26 million), higher than what any other Indian actor-producer has ever earned from a film. The film has increased Aamir Khan's China box office total to $346.5 million (₹2,231 crore).
The film, along with previous Aamir Khan successes such as Dangal, has drove up the buyout prices of Indian film imports for Chinese distributors. The success of Dangal and Secret Superstar contributed towards Salman Khan's Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015) securing a wide release in China, along with Irrfan Khan's Hindi Medium (2017) getting a release in the country.
As with previous Aamir Khan films such as 3 Idiots and Dangal, Secret Superstar's social themes such as feminism and domestic violence are universal issues that resonated with Chinese audiences, many of whom could relate to the film's themes. According to Maoyan, the film's audiences were about 57% female and 43% male, and the majority were in the 20–34 age group. Secret Superstar has reportedly influenced an increase in Chinese women calling police for help with domestic violence.
Secret Superstar contributed towards the Chinese market's growth in early 2018, along with domestic productions. Secret Superstar's gross dwarfed every Hollywood film released in the first two months, including Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Secret Superstar also contributed towards China setting the record for the highest-grossing month ever in any territory during February 2018, when Secret Superstar (rather than Hollywood) was the strongest foreign presence among several dominant domestic Chinese New Year productions.
- The Indian Express describes a "modest budget" of 15 crore, which they indicate includes print and advertising, figures normally not included when considering a film's budget. Other sources give the film's production budget as ₹15 crore, including PTC Punjabi and Bollywood Life. A budget of $2.4 million is given by Variety and Firstpost. According to Aamir Khan, its first-week domestic gross (₹41.59 crore) was more than double its budget. Rob Cain describes the production budget as ₹50 crore, and the total budget for production and releasing costs as ₹25 crore (US$3.5 million); the film's production budget typically does not include print and advertising.
- Zee Studios (2 August 2017). "Secret Superstar Trailer". Retrieved 28 September 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Secret Superstar box office collection day 5: Aamir Khan, Zaira Wasim film recovers its production cost in four days". The Indian Express.
- "AMIR KHAN'S 'SECRET SUPERSTAR' EARNED 41.57 CRORES IN ONE WEEK". PTC Punjabi. 29 October 2017.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (27 October 2017). "Secret Superstar box office collection day 8: Aamir Khan's film witnesses a noticeable drop, earns Rs 41.59 crore". Bollywood Life.
- Frater, Patrick (19 January 2018). "Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' Poised to Top China Box Office". Variety.
- "Secret Superstar: Aamir Khan film's two-day China collection eclipses its lifetime India revenue". Firstpost. 21 January 2018.
- "Aamir Khan plans to release 'Secret Superstar' in China". Malayala Manorama. 28 October 2017.
- Cain, Robert (21 January 2018). "'Secret Superstar' Is Hot On 'Tiger's Tail With Explosive ₹173 Crore/$27M China Debut Weekend". Medium.
- Cain, Rob (13 November 2017). "Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' Winds Down Its Domestic Run With ₹83 Cr./$12.8M Gross". Forbes.
- "All time box office revenue of the highest grossing Bollywood movies worldwide as of June 2018 (in million U.S. dollars)". Statista. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "After wrestler, Aamir Khan to play a music composer". The Times of India. 2 May 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016. for
- "Aamir Khan's next titled Secret Superstar". Bollywood Hungama. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Aamir Khan to play an alcoholic in his next film, post Dangal?". India Today. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Secret Superstar movie review: Aamir Khan, Zaira Wasim, Meher Vij starrer has EQ and IQ".
- "Secret Superstar explores a beautiful mother-daughter friendship forged under oppressive circumstances". Firstpost. 20 October 2017.
- "'Secret Superstar' review: A rousing coming-of-age film". The New Indian Express. 18 October 2017.
- "Chinese audiences praise Bollywood's 'Secret Superstar'". CGTN. 30 January 2018.
- "Secret Superstar". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Secret Superstar actor Zaira Wasim receives exceptional achievement award from President Kovind". Hindustan Times. 16 November 2017.
- Ren, Shuli (26 February 2018). "China's New Year Box-Office Boom Hides a Twist". Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Analysis: There's a Plot Twist to the Chinese New Year Movie Boom". The Washington Post. 22 February 2018.
- "You Asked It - Padmaavat Is Bigger Than Mughal E Azam?". Box Office India. 8 March 2018.
- "Deepika Padukone's Padmaavat beats Aamir Khan's Dhoom 3 and Salman Khan's Tiger Zinda Hai at the box office". Times Now. 27 February 2018.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (15 February 2018). "Aamir Khan and Zaira Wasim's Secret Superstar crosses the Rs 750 crore mark in China". Bollywood Life.
- "With Secret Superstar and Dangal, Aamir Khan becomes only actor with two $100 million grossers in China". Firstpost. 9 February 2018.
- "Secret Superstar: Aamir Khan's film becomes second Indian movie to cross Rs 500 cr in China, next only to his Dangal". Firstpost. 2 February 2018.
- "Secret Superstar China collections: Aamir Khan-Zaira Wasim starrer continues to weave magic at Box Office". Zee News. 25 January 2018.
- "Secret Superstar: Aamir Khan becomes the only actor with four movies in 500 cr club after film's success in China". Firstpost. 29 January 2018.
- Wang, Yue (5 February 2018). "Chinese Moviegoers Are Developing Diversified Tastes, Which Doesn't Bode Well For Hollywood". Forbes.
- 内地总票房排名 ("All-Time Domestic Box Office Rankings"). 中国票房 (China Box Office) (in Chinese). Entgroup.
- Miller, Lee (28 January 2018). "Bollywood Hit Beats 'Star Wars' at China's Box Office". Bloomberg News.
- "Big feat! Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar achieves in China what Salman Khan's Tiger Zinda Hai failed to do in India". The Financial Express. 22 January 2018.
- "comScore Announces Official Worldwide Box Office Results for Weekend of January 21, 2018". PR Newswire. 21 January 2018.
- "Secret Superstar - Making - Meri Pyaari Ammi". YouTube.
- "Movie Review - Secret Superstar". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Advait Chandan on 'Secret Superstar' and the 21st century zeitgeist". Reuters.
- "Satyamev Jayate S1 - Episode 7 - Domestic Violence". YouTube.
- "Satyamev Jayate Season 3 - Episode 1 - A Ball Can Change the World". YouTube.
- "Aamir Khan teams up with A R Rahman for next home production". The Indian Express.
- "Aamir's manager Advait Chandan's directorial borrows its title from Guide film". The Times of India.
- "Bollywood Icon Aamir Khan on 'Secret Superstar,' Worldwide Success of 'Dangal,' and Empowering Women: Exclusive". Yahoo! News. 19 October 2017.
- "Secret Superstar goes on floors with Aamir Khan; film to release in 2017". Catch News. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar, Shah Rukh Khan's Rahnuma to release a week apart in 2017". Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Secret Superstar reviews: Aamir Khans Diwali 2017 release is the best film this year". Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Diwali Clash - Pre Release Battle To Secret Superstar - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "Secret Superstar Box Office Collection, Day 1: Aamir Khan's Film 'Expectedly Starts Slow' Because Of Diwali". NDTV. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Golmaal Again and Secret Superstar Official Screen Count". BollyArena. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Secret Superstar TV Serial & New Episodes On Zee Cinema". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Cain, Rob (25 November 2017). "How Taiwan Numbers For 'Secret Superstar' Will Hint Whether It Becomes Bollywood's #1 Hit Of 2017". Forbes.
- ""Тайная суперзвезда" в кино!". VKontakte. 26 January 2018.
- "Тайная суперзвезда - КАРО сеть кинотеатров". karofilm.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- "Secret Superstar (2018) Showtimes, Movie Tickets and Reviews". Popcorn. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Secret Superstar will definitely release in China, says Aamir Khan". Hindustan Times. 27 October 2017.
- "秘密巨星 (豆瓣)". Douban (in Chinese). Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Cain, Rob (19 December 2017). "'Secret Superstar' Gets January 19, 2018 China Release Date". Forbes.
- "Aamir Khan: Never felt like a superstar! In my head, I'm just a creative person". Hindustan Times. 12 March 2018.
- "《神秘巨星》首映 阿米尔·汗新片致敬母爱-新华网". ent.news.cn (in Chinese). 17 January 2018.
- "阿米尔汗新作《神秘巨星》开启北京首映礼 众大咖到场为米叔打Call!". Sohu. 17 January 2018.
- "电影《神秘巨星》今日上映 陈可辛盛赞:仅次《三傻大闹宝莱坞》". ent.people.com.cn. 19 January 2018.
- "Aamir Khan's follow-up to hit Indian movie 'Dangal' opens in China". China Daily. 22 January 2018.
- "神秘巨星-神秘巨星在线漫画" (in Chinese). Tencent. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "邓超带阿米尔汗吃皮蛋 网友：英语好像进步了？". Sina. 23 January 2018.
- "Not So Secret Superstar Aamir Khan Gets Mobbed In China (View Pics)". India.com. Penske Media Corporation. 23 January 2018.
- "Aamir believes 'Secret Superstar' goes one step further than 'Dangal'". The News International. 23 January 2018.
- "Indian filmmaker Aamir Khan attends Chinese-Indian Film Forum". Global Times. 24 January 2018. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Thugs of Hindostan: Aamir Khan says action-adventure film is 'not historical but a fiction set in 1790'". Firstpost. 25 January 2018.
- "'Secret Superstar' Beijing Press Conference". Getty Images. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "More than a #SecretSuperStar, #Indian director and actor @aamir_khan also wowed with his ping pong skills against Olympic champ Liu Guoliang". Global Times. Twitter. 23 January 2018.
- "See how @aamir_khan teaches Chinese actor Huang Bo the classic #SecretSuperstar dance, and check how he learns to say the #ThreeIdiots lines in Chinese!". Global Times. Twitter. 24 January 2018.
- "《神秘巨星》发主创特辑 导演望不再有家庭暴力". China Daily. 26 January 2018.
- "打死不離歌星夢 Secret Superstar -上映場次-影評及戲院售票". Hong Kong Movie -香港電影. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- "【打死不離歌星夢】印度劉華阿米爾汗恨見元祖劉德華：好心急啊！". HK01 (in Chinese). 10 April 2018.
- "Andy Lau and Aamir Khan finally meet each other". Yahoo! News. 17 April 2018.
- "Our Time Will Come wins best film at Hong Kong Film Awards". South China Morning Post. 16 April 2018.
- "Searching for Equality and Our Secret Superstars". General Education Unit. University of Hong Kong. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Come and meet Aamir Khan and 謝安琪 Kay Tse next Monday!". Facebook. University of Hong Kong. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Kay Tse recommends husband's movies to Aamir Khan". Yahoo! News. 18 April 2018.
- Zee Music Company (11 October 2017). "Sexy Baliye - Aamir Khan - Zaira Wasim - Amit Trivedi - Mika Singh - Kausar". Retrieved 21 January 2018 – via YouTube.
- "黄渤献唱《神秘巨星》主题曲 阿米尔汗飙山东话". Sina. 25 January 2018.
- Hsia, Heidi (10 April 2018). "Kay Tse honoured to sing Cantonese theme of "Secret Superstar"". Yahoo! News.
- "謝安琪重出樂壇第一擊 為印度電影獻唱主題曲". 香港新浪 (in Chinese). Sina Corp. 6 April 2018.
- "【邊位香港歌手復出獻聲？】《打死不離歌星夢》搵幕後代唱完美演繹". Apple Daily. 29 March 2018.
- "'Secret Superstar' box-office collection Day 13: Zaira Wasim-Aamir Khan starrer zooms past Rs 100 crore worldwide". Times of India. 3 November 2017.
- "Secret Superstar Hits 100 Cr Worldwide".
- "Aamir Khan scores once again in China as Secret Superstar beats Dangal's opening day collections". Times Now. 20 January 2018.
- "Movie Budgets, Most Expensive Movies, Most Profitable Movies, Biggest Money-Losing Movies". The Numbers. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- Raveendran, Karthika (10 February 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar BEATS PK, rakes in Rs 833 crore gross at the worldwide box office". Bollywood Life.
- Shah, Karan (28 January 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar BEATS Salman Khan's Tiger Zinda Hai to become the Biggest Worldwide Bollywood grosser of 2017". Bollywood Life.
- "Weekly Box Office > China (02/18/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Thugs of Hindostan gets a minimum guarantee of Rs. 110 cr. for the Chinese market!". Bollywood Hungama. 12 November 2018.
- "Secret Superstar Box Office Collection till Now". Bollywood Hungama. 7 September 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Monthly Average Rates (8.4 INR per HKD)". OFX. 30 April 2018.
- "Secret Superstar (2017) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. 19 November 2017.
- "Yearly Average Rates (65.11 INR per USD)". OFX. 31 December 2017.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of Secret Superstar". Bollywood Hungama. 19 November 2017.
- "全國電影票房2018年01/22-01/28統計資訊" (PDF). Taiwan Film Institute. p. 8. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Cain, Rob (8 January 2018). "What ₹5.8 Crore / $900K Taiwan Gross Portends For 'Secret Superstar' In Upcoming China Release". Forbes.
- "Secret Superstar - Movie - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- "Historical Exchange Rates Tool & Forex History Data (92.371161 INR per GBP)". OFX. 30 April 2018.
- "Australia Box Office, November 2–5, 2017". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Secret Superstar First Week Business - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "Secret Superstar Second Saturday Business - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "'Overwhelmed' by 'Secret Superstar' success in China: Aamir". Business Standard. 23 January 2018.
- "Box Office List 2017: Tiger Zinda Hai and Baahubali 2 only blockbusters. 286 films. 257 flops". India Today. 9 January 2018.
- "'Secret Superstar' mints USD 2.8 million in overseas markets". The New Indian Express. 24 October 2017.
- "Golmaal Again V Secret Superstar Overseas Comparison". Box Office India. 25 October 2017.
- Cain, Rob (14 November 2017). "Has Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' Hurt His 'Thugs Of Hindostan's Prospects?". Forbes.
- "Box Office: 'Secret Superstar' beats 'Golmaal Again' in UK". BizAsia. 30 October 2017.
- "Box Office: Top overseas grossers of 2017". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Golmaal Again surpasses Tubelight; collects approx. 7.15 mil. USD [Rs. 46.75 cr.] in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 13 November 2017.
- Cain, Rob (30 November 2017). "'Secret Superstar' Tracking Well Against 'Dangal' Taiwan Run With $285K/₹1.85 Cr. Through Day 6". Forbes.
- "全國電影票房2017年11/27-12/03統計資訊" (PDF). Taiwan Film Institute. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Cain, Rob (12 December 2017). "'Secret Superstar' Enjoys 35% 3rd Weekend Drop In Taiwan To ₹69L/$US106K And ₹4.6 Cr./$705K Cume". Forbes.
- McNary, Dave (21 January 2018). "'Jumanji' Leads International Box Office, Hits $768 Million Worldwide". Variety.
- "'Jumanji' tops box office for third straight weekend". The Washington Post. 21 January 2018.
- Bahr, Lindsey (28 January 2018). "'Maze Runner' installment tops charts, Oscars pics get boost". The Sacramento Bee.
- "Box Office: Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar becomes the second movie after Dangal to cross the 100 million USD mark in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 6 February 2018.
- "Box Office: Secret Superstar is now the 2nd highest All Time overseas grosser". Bollywood Hungama. 29 January 2018.
- Cain, Rob (15 January 2018). "Scorching Hot Presales Set Up Potential #1 China Debut For Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar'". Forbes.
- "阿米尔汗《神秘巨星》两天票房过亿，印度电影正在成为新"票仓"？". Sohu. 20 January 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/19/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Bhattacharjee, Moumita (19 January 2018). "Secret Superstar box office collection day 1 China: Zaira Wasim's film beats Dangal to become the biggest debut by an Indian film". Bollywood Life.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/20/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar crosses Rs 100 cr in China in just two days". The Indian Express. 21 January 2018.
- "Box Office: Secret Superstar crosses 100 crores at the China box office". Bollywood Hungama. 21 January 2018.
- "Weekly box office > China (01/21/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Secret Superstar box office: Aamir Khan starrer crosses Rs 500 crore in China". The Indian Express. 2 February 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (21 January 2018). "China Box Office: Aamir Khan's 'Superstar' Wins Crowded Weekend". Variety.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/21/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "China Box Office: Bollywood's 'Secret Superstar' Beats 'Ferdinand' and 'Jumanji'". The Hollywood Reporter. 22 January 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (21 January 2018). "'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts – International Box Office". Deadline.
- "Aamir Khan is China's Secret Superstar, film earns Rs 174 cr in 3 days after Dangal's massive success". Hindustan Times. 22 January 2018.
- Wong, Silvia. "China box office: Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' makes strong debut". Screen International. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "All box office records smashed by Hindi version of Baahubali 2: The Conclusion". Deccan Chronicle. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/22/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/23/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "日期票房-神秘巨星". Maoyan. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/24/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- Miller, Lee (29 January 2018). "How Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar beat 'Star Wars' at China's Box Office". Business Standard.
- "Chinese film-goers love Aamir Khan but give Star Wars the snub". The Straits Times. 29 January 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/25/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Meet the Secret Superstar of China, from India". South China Morning Post. 28 January 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (28 January 2018). "China Box Office: 'Maze Runner' and 'Superstar' Share Weekend". Variety.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/28/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Secret Superstar China BO collection day 10: Aamir Khan's film grosses more than Rs 400 crore". Times Now. 29 January 2018.
- Zhang, Gaochao (31 January 2018). "Bollywood movie 'Secret Superstar' beats out 'Maze Runner' sequel in China". Los Angeles Times.
- "'Maze Runner' film gets mixed response". China Internet Information Center. 2 February 2018.
- "China box office: Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' goes top". Screen. 29 January 2018.
- "Indian film "Secret Superstar" tops Chinese box office". Xinhua News Agency. 30 January 2018.
- "Weekly box office > China (01/28/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar earns Rs 420 cr in China, is 2017's second-highest earner". Hindustan Times. 29 January 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (01/31/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (1 March 2018). "Hollywood Sidelined as China Box Office Surges 39% in First Two Months". Variety.
- "Daily Box Office > China (02/01/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "'Secret Superstar' powers to the top". Global Times. 4 February 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (02/04/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (5 February 2018). "China Box Office: Aamir Khan's 'Secret Superstar' Wins Quiet Weekend". Variety.
- "Weekly box office > China (02/04/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Daily Box Office > China (02/11/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- "Weekly Box Office > China (02/11/2018)". Entgroup. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "China box office: 'Secret Superstar' top again, surpasses 'Your Name'". Screen. 12 February 2018.
- Miller, Lee (29 January 2018). "China Picks Bollywood Over Hollywood". Bloomberg News.
- "Bajrangi Bhaijaan dethrones Secret Superstar to become third-highest-grossing Indian film of all time". Firstpost. 30 March 2018.
- "Why Black Panther and other Hollywood films failed to unseat Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar at the Chinese box office". Firstpost. 1 April 2018.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (6 April 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar continues its splendid run at the Hong Kong box office". Bollywood Life.
- Adarsh, Taran (9 April 2018). "#SecretSuperstar continues its SPLENDID RUN in *preview screenings* in HONG KONG". Twitter.
- "Weekly box office > Hong Kong (04/08/2018)". EntGroup. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Adarsh, Taran (13 April 2018). "After multiple preview screenings, #SecretSuperstar opens in HONG KONG". Twitter.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (14 April 2018). "Secret Superstar Hong Kong box office collection day 2: Aamir Khan's film shows tremendous growth, collects Rs 2.70 crore". Bollywood Life.
- "Secret Superstar Hong Kong collections: Aamir Khan-Zaira Wasim starrer earns Rs 3.46 cr". Zee News. 15 April 2018.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (18 April 2018). "Secret Superstar box office collection Hong Kong day 4: Aamir Khan's film remains super-strong, earns Rs 5.07 crore". Bollywood Life.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (23 April 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar continues its phenomenal run at the Hong Kong box office". Bollywood Life.
- "Weekly box office > Hong Kong (04/22/2018)". EntGroup. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Aaglave, Ganesh (3 May 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar nears Rs 10 crore mark at the Hong Kong box office". Bollywood Life.
- "After China, Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar tastes success in Hong Kong". The Indian Express. 6 May 2018.
- "Weekly box office > Hong Kong (05/06/2018)". EntGroup. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- McCahill, Mike (2017-10-20). "Secret Superstar review – first-class Aamir Khan about Indian teenager's pop star ambitions". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-10-22.
- Meena Iyer. "It's all about mothers and daughters". The Times of India.
- "In tune!". Rajeev Masand.
- Saibal Chatterjee. "Secret Superstar Movie Review: Zaira Wasim Is A Treat, Aamir Khan Tackles Shakti Kumaarr With Glee". NDTV.
- Rohit Vats. "Secret Superstar movie review: Aamir Khan, Zaira Wasim's Diwali release is high on emotions". Hindustan Times.
- Shubhra Gupta. "Secret Superstar movie review: The Zaira Wasim and Aamir Khan starrer stops short of being superlative". The Indian Express.
- Chan, Nicola (1 April 2018). "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar is another Bollywood crowd-pleaser that explores the sacred mother-daughter bond [Review]". South China Morning Post.
- Havis, Richard James (10 April 2018). "Secret Superstar review: Aamir Khan in female empowerment tale". South China Morning Post.
- "Secret Superstar actor Zaira Wasim receives exceptional achievement award from President Kovind". Hindustan Times. 16 November 2017.
- "2018 Archives - Zee Cine Awards". Zee Cine Awards. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "FOI Online Awards". FOI Online Awards. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Nominations for the 63rd Jio Filmfare Awards 2018". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "63rd Jio Filmfare Awards 2018: Complete winners' list". The Times of India. 21 January 2018.
- "Lions Gold Awards 2018: Complete winners list and Red Carpet pictures | Free Press Journal". Free Press Journal. 2018-01-25. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- "10th Royal Stag Mirchi Music Awards: Complete list of winners". The Times of India. 29 January 2018.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "Winners - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "List of Power Brands Bollywood Award Winners". Power Brands.
- "'Newton' & 'Mukti Bhawan' Win Big at the REEL Movie Awards". The Quint. Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- "Reel Movie On Screen Awards 2018 | Best Film, Actor, Actress, Director and More". News18. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Reel Movie Behind The Scenes Awards 2018 |Best Cinematography, Sound, Art / Production Design, Editing, Music, Screenplay, Dialogues". News18. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "IIFA Awards 2018 Winners". IIFA.
- "IIFA Nominations 2018: Tumhari Sulu Leads With 7 Nods, Newton Follows". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "Indian Film Festival Melbourne". www.iffm.com.au. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- "中方参投《神秘巨星》票房破亿，印度电影成下一个淘金地？". Huxiu. 21 January 2018.
- "Aamir Khan film 'Secret Superstar' lives up to the hype to become king of the Chinese mainland weekend box office". Global Times. 22 January 2018.
- "Secret Superstar: A look at how the film steered Aamir Khan's cumulative China box office turnover to Rs 2000 cr". Firstpost. 19 February 2018.
- "Aamir Khan and his Chinese fan base". The Week. 10 February 2018.
- "Headlines from China: Tencent Acquires Stake in Hollywood Studio Skydance Media". China Film Insider. 26 January 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (22 January 2018). "Eros Confirms Wide Release in China for Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'". Variety.
- "Khan Phenomenon: China's in love with a Bollywood movie about a Muslim girl's struggle to live her dream". Quartz. 30 January 2018.
- "想看画像". Maoyan. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar effect: Chinese women facing domestic violence seek cops help for the first time". Times Now. 6 February 2018.
- "China Box Office Surges 39 Percent in First Two Months of 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. 28 February 2018.
- "How Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar contributed to China's global, record-breaking box-office collections". Firstpost. Retrieved 7 March 2018.