Ferdinand is a 2017 American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and 20th Century Fox Animation. It is based on Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson's children's book The Story of Ferdinand and directed by Carlos Saldanha, and features the voices of John Cena, Kate McKinnon, Anthony Anderson, Bobby Cannavale, Peyton Manning, Gina Rodriguez, Miguel Ángel Silvestre, and David Tennant. The film received nominations for Best Animated Feature Film and Best Original Song ("Home") at the 75th Golden Globe Awards.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Carlos Saldanha|
|Based on||The Story of Ferdinand
by Munro Leaf
|Music by||John Powell|
|Edited by||Harry Hitner|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
Ferdinand (John Cena) is a Spanish Fighting Bull who prefers smelling the flowers and practicing non-violence rather than chasing red cloths held by matadors in arenas. But when disaster comes to him, he is taken to a fighting stadium, and Ferdinand needs to decide if he is a fighting bull or a flower smelling, generous bull, in order to earn his freedom.
- John Cena as Ferdinand the Bull
- Kate McKinnon as Lupe, an old goat
- David Tennant as Angus, a bull from Scotland.
- Bobby Cannavale as Valiente, a bull.
- Cannavale also voices Valiente's father.
- Anthony Anderson as Bones, a bull
- Peyton Manning as Guapo, a bull
- Tim Nordquist as Maquina, a bull
- Gina Rodriguez as Una, a hedgehog
- Daveed Diggs as Dos, a headgehog
- Gabriel Iglesias as Cuatro, a hedgehog
- Miguel Ángel Silvestre as El Primero, a matador
- Flula Borg as Hans, a horse
- Boris Kodjoe as Klaus, a horse
- Sally Phillips as Greta, a horse
- Jerrod Carmichael as Paco, a dog
- Karla Martínez as Isabella
- Raúl Esparza as Moreno
- Lily Day as Nina, the original owner of Ferdinand and Paco.
- Juanes as Juan, the father of Nina.
- Jeremy Sisto as Raf, a bull who is Ferdinand's father.
In 2011, it was reported that 20th Century Fox Animation had acquired the rights to the children's book The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf to adapt it into a computer-animated feature film with Carlos Saldanha attached to direct it. In May 2013, Fox titled the film simply Ferdinand, which would be produced by Blue Sky Studios. John Powell, a frequent collaborator with Saldanha, would be composing the film's score. In November 2016, it was reported that Gabriel Iglesias would voice a character named Cuatro, a hedgehog.
|Ferdinand (Music from the Motion Picture)|
|Soundtrack album by Various artists|
|Released||December 1, 2017|
|Genre||Pop, Latin pop|
On September 19, 2017 it was announced that singer Nick Jonas wrote and recorded a song called "Home" for the movie. It was featured in the third trailer released in the next day and will also appear in the movie and end credits. It was released as the first promotional single of the soundtrack on October 20, 2017. A Second song by Nick Jonas named "Watch Me" will be released alongside the film's EP on December 1.
|2.||"Lay Your Head On Me"||Juanes||3:16|
|3.||"Watch Me"||Nick Jonas||2:26|
|5.||"Macarena"||Los del Rio||4:09|
|6.||"Home (Film Version)"||Nick Jonas||2:48|
Original Motion Picture Score is composed by John Powell, additional music by Batu Sener, Anthony Willis and Paul Mounsey. The album is set to release on December 15, 2017.
In May 2013, Fox scheduled the film for April 7, 2017 release. In February 2016, the release date was moved to July 21, 2017. In August 2016, the release date was again pushed back, this time to December 22, 2017, taking over the release date of DreamWorks Animation's The Croods 2, before that film was temporarily cancelled. In February 2017, the film was moved up by one week to December 15, 2017. The first trailer premiered on March 28, 2017, followed by the second trailer on June 14, 2017.
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Golden Globe Awards||January 7, 2018||Best Animated Feature Film||Ferdinand||Pending|||
|Best Original Song||"Home"||Pending|
- Ferdinand the Bull (film), a 1938 Disney animated short also based on the book
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Ferdinand". AMC Theatres. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- "Ferdinand (2017)". AllMovie. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Rubin, Rebecca (December 11, 2017). "Golden Globe Nominations: Complete List". Variety. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 9, 2017). "Blue Sky's Bull Toon 'Ferdinand' To Lock Horns With 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'". Deadline. Retrieved February 11, 2017.
- "Past, present and future releases to Past, Present and Future Releases | UK Recent and Upcoming Movie". www.launchingfilms.com. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Phelan, Zehra (March 28, 2017). "Like a bull in a china shop the debut trailer for Ferdinand barges in". HeyUGuys. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "Like a bull in a china shop the debut trailer for Ferdinand barges in - HeyUGuys". www.heyuguys.com. Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- McLean, Tom (September 20, 2017). "'Ferdinand' Unveils Role for Manning, a Nick Jonas Tune and a New Trailer". Animation World Network. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- Diggs, Daveed (March 28, 2017). "Excited for y'all to meet #Dos in the new @ferdinandmovie he's a real good dude. #Ferdinand #HedgehogsRepresent". Twitter. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (November 17, 2016). "Gabriel Iglesias Joins 'Ferdinand' & 'Smurfs' Voice Casts As He Readies Comedy Tour". Deadline. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Diggs, Daveed (March 28, 2017). "Excited for y'all to meet #Dos in the new @ferdinandmovie he's a real good dude. #Ferdinand #HedgehogsRepresent". Twitter. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (February 18, 2011). "Fox, Ice Age Director Bullish on The Story of Ferdinand". New York. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Chitwood, Adam (May 16, 2013). "DreamWorks Animation Moves B.O.O. Release Up to June 5, 2015 and TROLLS to November 4, 2016; Fox Dates ANUBIS and FERDINAND". Collider.com. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "John Powell to Score Blue Sky Studios' 'Ferdinand'". Film Music Reporter. September 14, 2016. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "First Look! Peyton Manning and Nick Jonas Lend Their Voices to Ferdinand (and Feel Pretty Bullish About It)". PEOPLE.com. 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- "Home (From the Motion Picture "Ferdinand") - Single by Nick Jonas on Apple Music". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- "Gambit, Alien, Predator and Fox / Marvel Release Updates". ComingSoon.net. February 28, 2016. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 9, 2016). "'Croods 2' Release Delayed Amid DreamWorks Animation Sale". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Rainey, James (November 11, 2016). "DreamWorks Animation and Universal Kill 'Croods 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Randee Dawn (March 28, 2017). "Watch the trailer for John Cena's new animated movie Ferdinand". Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "OFFICIAL: New 'Ferdinand' Trailer Tomorrow | TrailerTrack". TrailerTrack. 2017-06-13. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 12, 2017). "The Global Box Office Awakens: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Could Power To $440M Opening". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "Ferdinand reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- Golden Globe nominations 2018: The list