Zee News is an Indian pay television channel that was launched on 6 July 1999 and is the flagship property of Zee Media, and a subsidiary of Essel Group. The channel is owned by Subhash Chandra, member of the Rajya Sabha .
|Launched||6 July 1999|
|Owned by||Zee Media|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 4:3 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Sister channel(s)||Zee Business|
Zee Madhya Pradesh Chhattisgarh
Zee Uttar Pradesh Uttarakhand
Zee 24 Taas
Zee 24 Ghanta
Zee 24 Kalak
Zee Bihar Jharkhand
Zee Punjab Haryana Himachal
|Airtel digital TV||Channel 311|
|Tata Sky||Channel 511|
|Reliance Digital TV||Channel 408|
|Dish TV||Channel 651|
|Videocon d2h||Channel 307|
|Siti Cable||Channel 303|
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 852|
|Live Stream (International)||live Web stream at Zee News|
Jindal Group incidentEdit
The channel was tried for allegedly extorting ₹ 100 crore from the Jindal Group revealed through a sting operation, and two senior journalists Sudhir Chaudhary (journalist) and Sameer Ahluwaliawere arrested. Naveen Jindal accused Zee News of trying to extort Rs 100 crore from him for not airing stories against his company in Coal Scam. Zee News refuted the charges and made counter charges of Jindal offering them Rs 25 crore to halt their investigations against Jindal Steel in the coal scam. Which is not yet sorted by both the parties by saying it a miscommunication.
Allegations of fabricationsEdit
Zee News reported that some of the students from Democratic Students' Union (DSU) raised slogans such as "Bharat ki barbadi" ("Destruction of India") and "Pakistan Zindabad" ("long live Pakistan"). In a letter Vishwa Deepak, who later resigned from the channel after expressing reservations over its 'biased coverage' alleged that "Our biases made us hear "Bhartiya Court Zindabad" as Pakistan Zindabad." ("long live Indian courts" as "long live Pakistan."). After Delhi police report it was claimed that footage was genuine. Sudhir Chaudhary, Zee News Editor, said "Our channel only showed what was happening there, whatever we have shown is 100% authentic." Later the forensic report revealed that footage was doctored.
Zee News telecasted a video with the claim that the slogans of Pakistan Zindabad were raised at Alwar rally of Navjot Singh Sidhu. However, Congress leaders were defiant and accused Zee News of playing a doctored video. One local journalist came on camera to expose the Congress party and pointed out the “Pakistan Zindabad” slogans were indeed raised while Sidhu was addressing the rally, while Sidhu threatened to file a defamation suit against Zee News.
- "Zee News takes punch line". afaqs news bureau. afaqs. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Jindal plays CD, claemsss Zee editors demanded Rs. 100 crore". The Hindu. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Two Zee editors arrested for 'Rs 100-crore extortion bid' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Naveen Jindal vs Zee: Senior journalists arrested over alleged extortion". NDTV India. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Jindal Group and Zee television in extortion scandal". The Australian. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Naveen Jindal accuses Zee News of extortion, channel hits back - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "From 'Pakistan Zindabad' to 'Bharat ki barbaadi' - Slogans that were raised by 'anti-nationals' in JNU". Zee News. 14 February 2016.
- "Zee News producer quits: Video we shot had no Pakistan Zindabad slogan". The Indian Express. 22 February 2016.
- "We speak with the Zee News journalist who resigned over the channel's coverage of #JNURow". Newslaundry. 21 February 2016.
- "JNUSU's Kanhaiya Kumar sedition row: 'Raw footage given by TV channel Doctored, finds Forensic Experts'". India Today. Express News Service. 12 June 2016. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- Desk, India com News (6 December 2018). "How Pak Media Covered 'Pakistan Zindabad' Sloganeering at Sidhu's Rally". India.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Bureau, Adgully. "LeT terrorist Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News in Pak gathering". www.adgully.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Zee News resolves to show fearless news coverage despite threat videos from LeT terrorist Hafiz Saeed - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "ZEE5". https://www.zee5.com/news/details/jems-newspaper-targets-zee-news-dna-on-pulwama-attack-reporting/0-0-newsauto_6n47fod09rv0. Retrieved 14 March 2019. External link in
- DelhiFebruary 19, India Today Web Desk New; February 20, 2016UPDATED:; Ist, 2016 00:06. "Forensic experts say Kanhaiya video was doctored". India Today. Retrieved 12 March 2019.