Ohio's 13th congressional district
The 13th congressional district of Ohio is represented by Representative Tim Ryan, who defeated Republican Dr. Marisha Agana of Warren on November 6, 2012. Due to reapportionment following the 2010 United States Census, Ohio lost its 17th and 18th congressional districts, necessitating redrawing of district lines. Following the 2012 elections, the 13th district changed to take in much of the territory in the former 17th district, including the city of Youngstown and areas east of Akron.
|Ohio's 13th congressional district|
Ohio's 13th congressional district since January 3, 2013
It was one of several districts challenged in a 2018 lawsuit seeking to overturn Ohio's congressional map as an unconstitutional gerrymander. According to the lawsuit, the 13th resembles a "jigsaw puzzle piece" that reaches out to grab the portion of Akron not taken in by the Cleveland-based 11th District.
From 2003 to 2013 the district ran from Lorain to include part of Akron, also taking in the suburban areas in between.
List of members representing the districtEdit
Recent election resultsEdit
The following chart shows historic election results since 1920.
Recent election results from statewide racesEdit
Under its current lines, the 13th district is usually strongly Democratic, although Republicans have carried it in statewide races.
|2000||President||Al Gore 53 - George W. Bush 44%|
|2004||President||John Kerry 56 - George W. Bush 44%|
|2008||President||Barack Obama 62 - John McCain 36%|
|2012||President||Barack Obama 63 - Mitt Romney 36%|
|2014||Governor||John Kasich 53 - Ed FitzGerald 43%|
|2016||President||Hillary Clinton 51 - Donald Trump 45%|
|Senate||Rob Portman 48 - Ted Strickland 46%|
Historical district boundariesEdit
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Todd Ruger, "Voters Challenge Ohio Congressional Map as Partisan Gerrymander", Roll Call, May 23, 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Ohio A. Philip Randolph Institute et al., v. John Kasich, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO, filed 05/23/2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "2012 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State.
- "2014 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State.
- "2016 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present