List of United States governors
The following is a list of current governors of U.S. states and territories.
In the United States, a governor is the chief executive officer of a state or a territory. As of June 2019, 27 states have Republican governors and 23 states have Democratic governors. Additionally, three U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) have Democratic governors, while one (the Northern Mariana Islands) has a Republican governor. Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced of Puerto Rico is registered with the New Progressive Party, but is affiliated with the Democratic Party.
The current term ends in January of the given year for every state except for Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, New York and Kentucky, where the term ends in December of that year's election. The notation "(term limits)" after the year indicates that the current governor is ineligible to seek re-election in that year; the notation "(retiring)" indicates that the current governor has announced his or her intention not to seek re-election at the end of the term nor to run for another office.
The following hold the gubernatorial offices of the United States territories.
|Territory||Portrait||Governor||Party||Prior public experience||Inauguration||End of term||Past Governors|
|Lolo Matalasi Moliga||Democratic
|American Samoa Senate, American Samoa House of Representatives||January 3, 2013||2021 (term limits)||List|
|Lou Leon Guerrero||Democratic||Senator of the Guam Legislature||January 7, 2019||2023||List|
|Ralph Torres||Republican||Lieutenant Governor, Northern Mariana Islands Legislature||December 29, 2015||2023 (term limits)||List|
|Wanda Vázquez Garced||New Progressive||Secretary of Justice of Puerto Rico||August 7, 2019||2021||List|
|Albert Bryan||Democratic||Commissioner of V.I. Department of Labor||January 7, 2019||2023||List|
Federal district mayorEdit
|Federal district||Portrait||Mayor||Party||Prior public experience||Inauguration||End of term||Past Mayors|
|Muriel Bowser||Democratic||Council of the District of Columbia||January 2, 2015||2023||List|
- Governor (United States)
- Seals of governors of the U.S. states
- Flags of governors of the U.S. states
- List of current United States lieutenant governors
- List of female governors in the United States
- List of current United States first spouses
- National Governors Association
- Oldest living United States governors
- List of U.S. state governors born outside the United States
- List of minority governors and lieutenant governors in the United States
- List of current United States governors by age
- Justice was elected as a Democrat, but switched to the Republican Party six months into his term.
- Officially, the governor of American Samoa is a non-partisan position, but officeholders do affiliate with political parties at the national level. Moliga was elected as an Independent, but switched to the Democratic Party in 2015.
- NY gubernatorial terms begin at midnight New Year's Day.
- "West Virginia Governor to Switch from Democrat to Republican". New York Times. August 3, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2017.