Gautam in 2018
|Family||Surilie Gautam (sister)|
Gautam made her Hindi film debut with the comedy Vicky Donor (2012), which was a critical and commercial success. She went on to star as a young wife in the crime film Badlapur (2015), a blind woman in the thriller Kaabil (2017), an intelligence officer in the war film Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019), one of the highest-grossing Indian films, and a TikTok star in the satire Bala (2019).
Early life and backgroundEdit
Yami Gautam was born in a Hindu family in Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh and was brought up in Chandigarh. Her father Mukesh Gautam is a Punjabi film director. Her mother is Anjali Gautam. Yami has a younger sister Surilie Gautam, who made her big screen debut with the Punjabi film Power Cut. She did her regular schooling, and later entered college to pursue a graduate degree in law honours. She had aspired to join Indian Administrative Services (IAS) as a young girl, but at the age of 20, Yami decided to start her acting career. Though she was pursuing studies in Law Honors (first-year PU Student of law), she left full-time studies for acting. Recently, she has been doing her part-time graduation from Mumbai. Yami is fond of reading, interior decoration and listening to music.
Gautam was twenty when she moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in movies. She made her television debut with Chand Ke Paar Chalo, which was followed by Raajkumar Aaryyan. Following this, she played her most notable role in Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam, which aired on Colors. Furthermore, she participated in the reality shows Meethi Choori No 1 and Kitchen Champion Season 1.
After making her Kannada debut, Gautam made her Bollywood debut with a leading role in Shoojit Sircar's romantic comedy-drama Vicky Donor (2012). Co-starring opposite Ayushmann Khurrana and Annu Kapoor, she portrayed Ashima Roy, a Bengali woman who falls in love with a Punjabi (Khurrana) and gets to know about his past after marriage. The film, which marked Bollywood actor John Abraham's production debut, received positive reviews from critics and proved to be a major commercial success and one of the highest-grossing films of the year with worldwide grossing of ₹645 million (US$3.9 million). For her debut performance, Gautam received critical appraisal as well as several awards and nominations, including the Best Female Debut (tied with Ileana D'Cruz for Barfi!) trophy at the Zee Cine Awards, and a nomination under the same category at the 58th Filmfare Awards.
After a two-year absence from Bollywood films, Gautam returned in 2014 and appeared in two films, the first of which was Eeshwar Nivas's romantic comedy film Total Siyappa, co-starring Ali Zafar, Anupam Kher, and Kirron Kher, in which she played the love interest of Zafar's character. Gautam's second Bollywood release that year was Prabhu Deva's action thriller Action Jackson, in which Ajay Devgn portrayed a dual role, while she and Sonakshi Sinha featured as the love interests of his characters. Both Total Siyappa and Action Jackson under-performed at the box office.
In 2015, Gautam appeared alongside Varun Dhawan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in Sriram Raghavan's action thriller Badlapur. The film, which focuses on the story of a man (Raghu, played by Dhawan) who over the course of 15 years avenges the murder of his wife (Misha, played by her) and son, emerged as a critical and commercial success, collecting ₹770 million (US$11 million) worldwide despite earning negative reviews. Gautam's performance was praised.
In 2016, Gautam played Pulkit Samrat's love interest in two romances–Divya Khosla Kumar's Sanam Re and Vivek Agnihotri's Junooniyat. In the former, she played a high-school girl who falls in love with Samrat's character, and in the latter, she portrayed a Punjabi girl who falls in love with an army officer (Samrat). Both Sanam Re and Junooniyat were commercial failures.
The following year, Gautam collaborated with Hrithik Roshan on Sanjay Gupta's revengeful romantic thriller Kaabil (2017), which tells the story of a blind man who avenges the rape of his blind wife. The film, as well as her performance, received mixed reviews and the film emerged as financial success, earning ₹1.96 billion (US$28 million) worldwide. Later in 2017, Gautam featured briefly in Ram Gopal Varma's political thriller Sarkar 3, the third installment of Varma's Sarkar franchise, alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Jackie Shroff, Manoj Bajpayee, and Amit Sadh. Sarkar 3 failed to do well at the box office. Gautam's next release was the Shree Narayan Singh directed-social problem dramedy Batti Gul Meter Chalu (2018), in which she played a lawyer alongside Shahid Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor, and Divyendu Sharma. The film was also unsuccessful at the box office.
Gautam's greatest success came in 2019 when she appeared in Aditya Dhar's military action thriller film Uri: The Surgical Strike, alongside Vicky Kaushal, Paresh Rawal, Mohit Raina, and Kirti Kulhari. Based on the 2016 Uri attack, Gautam portrayed Pallavi Sharma, a nurse-turned-an intelligence officer. Upon release, the film received mixed reviews and emerged as one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time, grossing over ₹3.36 billion (US$54 million) worldwide. Her performance was critically praised.
- Upcoming projects
As of September 2019, Gautam has two upcoming films. In first she is reuniting with Ayushmann Khurrana in Amar Kaushik's comedy-drama Bala, a satire on physical attractiveness, which is scheduled for release on 7 November 2019. The second film is Ginny Weds Sunny opposite Vikrant Massey directed by debutant Puneet Khanna and produced by Vinod Bachchan.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Ashima Roy||Hindi|
|Courier Boy Kalyan||Kavya||Telugu|
|Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum||Kavya||Tamil|
|Sarkar 3||Annu Karkare||Hindi
|2018||Batti Gul Meter Chalu||Advocate Gulnaar Rizvi||Hindi|
|2019||Uri: The Surgical Strike||Pallavi Sharma/Jasmine Almeida|
|2020||Ginny Weds Sunny||Ginny||Hindi||Filming|
|2008||Chand Ke Paar Chalo||Sana||NDTV Imagine|
|2009||CID - Episode 642 - Kabarwali Ladki||Ananya||Sony TV|
|2009||Raajkumar Aaryyan||Rajkumari Bhairvi||NDTV Imagine|
|2009||Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam||Leher Mathur Vajpayee||Colors|
|2010||Meethi Choori No 1||Contestant||Imagine TV|
|Kitchen Champion Season 1||Colors|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2012||5th Boroplus Gold Awards||Rising Film Stars From TV||Vicky Donor||Won|
|Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Fresh Entry of the Year||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Debut Actor (Male/Female)||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Won|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Female||Nominated|
|IIFA Awards||Star Debut of the Year – Female||Won|
|2017||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Versatile Beauty of the Year Award||N/A||Nominated|
|Lux Golden Rose Awards||Break Through Performer Of The Year Award||Kaabil||Nominated|
|2020||Screen Awards||Best Comedian||Bala||Won|
- 2013: iTimes's No. 12 Most Desirable Woman of 2012.
- "I have had no affair in my life so far: Yaami Gautam — The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Busy Birthday for Yami – IANS". Archived from the original on August 2014.
- "Yami Gautam looks like a dream at Kaabil promotion".
- "Vicky Donor actress Yami Gautam believes in 'breaking the mould' of a Hindi film heroine". 31 December 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Vicky Donor is a HIT" Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Vicky Donor gets very good reviews from film critics" as well as nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Yami Gautam: There is a reason why people think Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan are intelligent". bollywoodlife.com.
- "Mother day".
- "Yami Gautam's sister to make her debut". Mid-day.com. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami Gautam's sister to marry Jaspal Bhatti's son – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Subhash K Jha & VICKEY LALWANI 26 October 2012, 10.05AM IST (26 October 2012). "Jaspal Bhatti died a day before son's debut film release – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Gautam, Yami. "Yami's Personal Life". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Gautam, Yami. "Gautam's Biography". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Yummylicious. Filmfare. 20 June 2012
- "First look: Chand Ke Paar Chalo". rediff.com. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Come, fall in love". Screen. 12 February 2010. Archived from the original on 13 February 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Vikrant Massey and Yami Gautam's film Ginny Weds Sunny goes on floors in Delhi. See pic". India Today. 20 September 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (20 September 2019). "Filming begins in #Delhi... #GinnyWedsSunny stars Yami Gautam and Vikrant Massey... Directed by debutant Puneet Khanna... Produced by Vinod Bachchan.t.co/XGtrzhUNXq" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami of VICKY DONOR bag Gold Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Archived from the original on 30 November 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Yaami Gautam—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013" Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "TOIFA 2013 nominations". Times of India. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "IIFA Awards 2013: The winners are finally here!". Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Star Screen Awards: Deepika Padukone, Ananya Panday add glam as Alia Bhatt, Ranveer Singh win top awards. Read complete winners list". Hindustan Times. 9 December 2019. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- "Times Most Desirable Women 2012 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yami Gautam.|