Ileana at Max Fashion Icon 2015
1 November 1987 |
Panaji, Goa, India
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
She won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South for the 2006 Telugu film Devadasu. She has appeared in hits such as Pokiri (2006), Jalsa (2008), Kick (2009) and Julayi (2012), establishing herself as one of Telugu cinema's leading actresses. D'Cruz made her Kollywood debut with Kedi and made a comeback in Shankar's Nanban (2012).
In 2012, she made her Bollywood debut with Anurag Basu's critically and commercially successful Barfi!, for which she received critical appreciation and several accolades including the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
Later she starred in the action comedies Phata Poster Nikhla Hero (2013) and Main Tera Hero (2014), the romantic comedy Happy Ending (2014), the crime thriller Rustom (2016) and the heist-drama in Baadshaho (2017).
Early life and educationEdit
D'Cruz was born to a Goan Catholic family in Pune, and raised partly in Pune and partly in Goa. Her family relocated to Parra, Goa when she was 10 years old. Her mother tongue is Konkani.
During that time, the manager of the hotel her mother was working in, suggested that she has a vibrant smile and should start modelling and fixed a meeting with Marc Robinson. Though initially reluctant, she was persuaded and her first portfolio was created in January 2003, which she described as a "disaster". She began gaining notice through photo shoots and ramp shows and her second portfolio was set up the following year, which landed her three advertisements from Electrolux, Emami Talc and Fair and Lovely. The latter, in particular, which was directed by Rakesh Roshan, gave her exposure and brought in several offers for acting in feature films.
In 2005, D'Cruz was called for an audition by director Teja, but the project was cancelled. She instead made her feature film debut in the Telugu language romance film Devadasu (2006), directed by Y. V. S. Chowdhary. She underwent acting classes with Aruna Bhikshu, before starting to work on the film. She recalls that during filming she felt "pressured [...] almost cried and didn't want to go further", but went ahead after her mother encouraged her, giving her "the lecture of a lifetime [...] at 3 am." A review from Indiaglitz stated that she "has chiseled features and a figure to die-for." Devadasu became the year's first major commercial success, eventually grossing around ₹140 million, whilst earning D'Cruz the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debutant. She next appeared in the gangster film Pokiri in which she portrayed an aerobics teacher, who is harassed by a corrupt police officer. The film was a high financial success, emerging as the highest-grossing Telugu film at the time.
She made her Tamil-language film debut in Kedi (2006). Although the film did not do so well at the box-office, D'Cruz remained too busy to accept all the film roles offered to her. Her Telugu film Khatarnak (2006) in which she acted opposite Ravi Teja did not do as well as expected, which has been attributed to her glamorous appearance not going down well with the audience. She subsequently experienced a breakthrough in her career as her following releases Rakhi (2006) and Munna (2007) proved critically and financially successful.
D'Cruz's career took a turn for the better[vague] with the release of her well-received 2007 film Aata. She received favorable reviews for her performance as Satya, a college student who is on the run from the home minister's crooked son by whom she is targeted, when leading a protest and demanding punishment for his crimes. In 2008, she performed the female lead role in the action film Jalsa, directed by Trivikram Srinivas. D'Cruz received largely positive remarks, with critics citing that she looked "pretty", "damn cool", and "every bit chic and stunning throughout the film", while being later awarded the Santosham Award, one of five awards for Jalsa, and the South Scope Style Award, besides garnering a nomination for the Best Actress prize at the 56th Filmfare Awards South. Her first 2009 release, titled Kick, was likewise declared a box office success, becoming one of the highest-grossing films that year.
D'Cruz had 2 releases in 2011. Her first film that year was Shakti, where she essayed the lead female role. She gave a stage performance for this movie's audio release function along with Jr. NTR, as part as promotion of the film. The socio-fantasy film, the costliest Telugu film ever made at ₹ 250,000,000,. Her next release was Nenu Naa Rakshasi, which marked her second collaboration with Puri Jagannadh. Though the film was a failure, her performance was received positively by critics; an Indiaglitz reviewer described her as a "pleasant surprise in the film" as she "cried, smirked, looked hot, grabbed sympathy and made faces that were apt to the scenes", while cinegoer's reviewer cited that the film had "one bright spot, Ileana, she looks stunning and also like an accomplished senior to the hero." Despite her recent failures, D'Cruz continued to be the highest paid actress in South India.
In early 2012, she starred in the Kollywood film Nanban, a remake of the 2009 Hindi film 3 Idiots directed by S. Shankar. The film opened to critical acclaim and became a major financial success. Her next release was the Telugu film Julai. The film opened to positive reviews and became the third biggest hit in 2012 and biggest hit in Telugu. She then starred in Puri Jagannadh's comedy Devudu Chesina Manushulu. In this film she played the role of a taxi driver. The film received mixed reviews and eventually under-performed at the box office.
D'Cruz made her Hindi debut with Anurag Basu's Barfi! In addition to playing the role of the narrator, she portrayed the character of Shruti Ghosh, a girl who leaves her true love for material comforts. The movie released on 14 September 2012, to highly positive reviews from critics, and was a major commercial success, earning ₹1.75 billion (US$27 million) worldwide. D'Cruz's performance was well received, earning her a Filmfare Best Female Debut Award, as well as a nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress. Rachit Gupta from Filmfare said "This is Ileana’s first film but her fantastic performance is just a testament why the Telugu audience consider her a superstar. Of course it also helps that she is the most visually appealing in Barfi! out shining even the scenic hills of Darjeeling". Rajeev Masand stated "Ileana leaves a lasting impression in her Hindi film debut, conveying both love and pain through those beautiful, expressive eyes". The film was screened at the Busan International Film Festival, Marrakech International Film Festival and was chosen as India’s official entry to the Oscars for the 85th Academy Awards.
She next appeared in the Rajkumar Santoshi action comedy film Phata Poster Nikhla Hero opposite Shahid Kapoor. The film released on September 20, 2013 to mixed reviews, and the film was eventually declared an average grosser at the box office. However, D'Cruz received mixed to positive reviews for her performance, with the Times of India saying that she was "good with emotions but not so tuned into comedy yet."
In April 2014 she gave a photo shoot for India’s well known magazine Man’s World.Her first release of 2014 was Main Tera Hero alongside Varun Dhawan and Nargis Fakhri, produced by Balaji Motion Pictures. The film was a semi hit. She then appeared in Saif Ali Khan's maiden production Happy Ending where she played lead along Saif Ali Khan, Govinda and Kalki Koechlin which released on November 21, 2014. The film met with negative reviews and was a box office flop.
In July 2017, her film Mubarakan starring opposite Arjun Kapoor and Anil Kapoor has released and gained positive reviews. Her next film Baadshaho starring opposite Ajay Devgn gave her a commercial success.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Huduga Hudugi||Herself||Kannada||Cameo appearance|
|Nenu Naa Rakshasi||Meenakshi/Shravya||Telugu|
|Devudu Chesina Manushulu||Ileana||Telugu|
|Barfi!||Shruti Ghosh Sengupta||Hindi|
|2013||Phata Poster Nikhla Hero||Kajal||Hindi|
|2014||Main Tera Hero||Sunaina||Hindi|
|Happy Ending||Aanchal Reddy||Hindi|
|Baadshaho||Rani Gitanjali Devi||Hindi|
Scheduled to release on 16 March 2018.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2006||Pokiri||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress (Telugu)||Nominated|
|2007||Devadasu||Filmfare Awards South||Best Female Debut||Won|
|2009||Jalsa||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress (Telugu)||Nominated|
|Santosham Film Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|South Scope Style Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|2010||Kick||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress (Telugu)||Nominated|
|2012||Nanban||Vijay Awards||Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine||Nominated|
|Herself||Vogue Beauty Awards||Fresh Face||Won|
|Barfi!||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut –||Nominated|
|ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Won|
|2013||Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
- "Birthday Exclusive: Ileana D'Cruz"
- "Happy Birthday Ileana D'Cruz: Sweet As Barfi! @ 27". NDTV. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- rediff.com: 'Acting was never my dream'. Specials.rediff.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- "Will Vijay's Nanban touch the Rs. 100 Crore mark?". Sify. 21 January 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Barfi: Why you need to see more of Ileana D'Cruz in Bollywood". Ibnlive.com. Retrieved 15 Sep 2012.
- "Ileana D'Cruz: The idea of dropping the jacket in Baadshaho was mine".
- Gupta, Priya (27 September 2013). "No one can contain me: Ileana D'Cruz". The Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Archived from the original on 21 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Happy birthday Ileana D’Cruz". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- PIX: Know more about Barfi!'s GORGEOUS Ileana!, Slide 2
- "Bollywood Calling Ileana D’Cruz!". Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- "Goan diaspora makes a mark worldwide", Indo-Asian News Service via Times of India (14 January 2007). Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- rediff.com: The hottest heroine of Telugu cinema. Specials.rediff.com (23 August 2006). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- PIX: Know more about Barfi!'s GORGEOUS Ileana!, Slide 3
- rediff.com: The hottest heroine of Telugu cinema. Specials.rediff.com (23 August 2006). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Devadasu Telugu Movie Review. IndiaGlitz (12 January 2006). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- "A few hits and many flops". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 29 December 2006.
- Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Web.archive.org (24 June 2008). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Movie Review:Pokiri. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- "'Pokiri' crosses magical 365-day mark". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2 May 2007.
- Ronamai, Raymond. "Ileana turns hot again", Telugu Movie News (1 June 2007). Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Asin's no to Surya". Sify. Retrieved 9 November 2006. External link in
- Movie Review:Aata. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Review: Jalsa is no great shakes. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Movie Review:Jalsa. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Jalsa Telugu Movie Review. IndiaGlitz (2 April 2008). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Santosham Awards 2008 Presentation. Ragalahari.com (21 August 2009). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Kick takes bumper openings. Sify.com (11 May 2009). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- ‘Kick’ rocks the box office. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Top Telugu films of 2009 – Rediff.com Movies. Movies.rediff.com (14 December 2009). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Ileana says she has the best roles in Tollywood. The Times of India. Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Photos IndiaMoviesCricketSportsTechAutoWorld. "Shakthi: Costliest Telugu film ever made?". CNN IBN. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Nenu Naa Rakshasi Telugu Movie Review. IndiaGlitz (29 April 2011). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- Nenu Naa Rakshasi Review | Nenu Naa Rakshasi Movie Review | Rana Daggubati | Ileana | Puri Jagannath – Sunita's Reviews. CineGoer.com (29 April 2011). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- "Ileana tops south remuneration list". Oneindia.in.
- Sunayana Suresh. "South’s top earning heroines". The times of india. Retrieved 16 Apr 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's Julayi beats Gabbar Singh collection at Box Office". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Sashidhar AS, TNN (2012-06-30). "Ileana plays a taxi driver in DCM". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Ravi Teja's DCM collects Rs 5.5 cr at Box Office on first day". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Anurag Basu confirms Telugu actress Ileana D'Cruz opposite Ranbir in Barfee.Bollywoodhungama.com (13 December 2010). Retrieved on 2011-05-28.
- "50 Hottest Pics of Ileana D’Cruz". http://www.invectura.com. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-14. External link in
- Saptarishi Dutta. "Review Round-Up: ‘Barfi!’ Charms". The wall street journal. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Top Ten Worldwide Grossers 2012". Box Office India. 17 January 2013. Archived from the original on 2 June 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Rachit Gupta. "Movie Review: Barfi!". Filmfare. Retrieved Sep 13, 2012.
- Rajeev Masand. "Masand: Go on, indulge your sweet tooth with 'Barfi'". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 14 Sep 2012.
- "‘Barfi!’ gets standing ovation at Busan". The Hindu. 14 October 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Mangaokar, Shalvi. "Priyanka Chopra on a roll at Marrakech Film Festival". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- Dubey, Bharti (22 September 2012). "‘Barfi!’ to represent India at Oscars". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- TOI. "Phata Poster Nikla Hero Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- "Ileana D’cruz Photoshoot for Man’s World". www.PureFilmy.com.
- "I am on a small break: Ileana D’Cruz"
- "Akshay Kumar begins 'Rustom' with a strong ensemble cast"
- "Ileana D'Cruz wraps up 'Baadshaho' shoot"
- "Ileana D'Cruz: Ajay Devgn is a bigger prankster than Akshay Kumar"
- "ILEANA D'CRUZ AND AJAY DEVGN REUNITE FOR RAJ KUMAR GUPTA'S RAID"
- "Confirmed! Ajay Devgn to reunite with Ileana D’Cruz in Raj Kumar Gupta’s Raid"
- "Ileana DCruz's Biography". Koimoi. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Vogue Beauty Award 2012". Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 – Winners List". Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Filmfare Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Filmfare Awards 2012 / 2013 Nominations". Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Winner's of 19th Annual Screen Awards" Retrieved 2013-01-22
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- Parande, Shweta. "Star Guild Awards 2013 winners’ list: Vidya Balan, Ranbir Kapoor, Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar win top honours!". Retrieved 2013-06-22.