Shoojit Sircar is an Indian film director and producer. He directed Yahaan (2005), Vicky Donor (2012), Madras Cafe (2013), and Piku (2015). He also produced the 2012 film Aparajita Tumi. He won the National Film Award for Vicky Donor in Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment category, shared with John Abraham. He also won the Indian Competition Special Jury Award at Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema in 2005 for Yahaan. He is now making a documentary on Amitabh Bachchan. He is associated with Rising Sun Films and has made television commercials for Saffola, 2G, Apsara Pencils, Fair & Lovely, Maruti WagonR, Cadbury, Dove, Zomato, and many other brands.
|Born||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Alma mater||Shaheed Bhagat Singh College|
|Years active||2005 – present|
He is known for making independent films. Aparajita Tumi is an adapted screenplay from Sunil Gangopadhyay's Dui Naari Haatey Torobaari. His 2012 film Vicky Donor was grand box office success, earning ₹ 13.40 crores in the opening weekend. Sircar's Shoebite went into production in 2012 but was cancelled. His film, Madras Cafe, was released in 2013, followed by Piku in 2015.
Sircar was born into a Bengali Hindu family in Barrackpore, Kolkata in the Indian state of West Bengal. He completed his schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya Barrackpore Airforce in the year 1985 and then he went on to Shaheed Bhagat Singh College , University of Delhi for higher studies..
|2012||Aparajita Tumi||Yes||Bengali film|
|Open Tee Bioscope||Yes||Bengali film|
|2018||Stand By Tough Mom||Yes||Short film|
Sircar was given the Best Film Director award at the 20th Life OK Screen Awards in January 2014, where he thanked his wife Jhuma Sircar. He was one of the jury members for India Film Project in 2012.
- "12th Osian's-Cinefan Festival of Indian, Asian and Arab Cinema: History". Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Jha, Subhash K (15 March 2012). "Shoojit Sircar to release documentary on Big B". The Times of India. IANS. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Of Bengal, for Bengal". The Daily Telegraph. 31 January 2011.
- "`Vicky Donor` earns Rs.13.40 crore, Shoojit Sircar ecstatic". 26 April 2012.
- "Vicky Donor is born". Tehelka. 2012-05-12. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "UTV Wins Case Against Percept On Shoebite". Boxofficeindia.co.in. Retrieved 2012-04-17.
- "Amitabh's Shoebite in trouble". www.filmibeat.com. Retrieved 7 September 2015.