Taapsee Pannu (born 1 August 1987) is an Indian actress and model known for her work in Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Hindi films. Taapsee worked as a software professional and pursued a career in modelling before becoming an actress. During her modelling career, she appeared in a number of commercials.
Pannu in 2017
|Born||1 August 1987|
New Delhi, India
Taapsee made her acting debut with the 2010 Telugu film Jhummandi Naadam, directed by Raghavendra Rao. Since then, she has appeared in a number of critically acclaimed films such as Aadukalam, Vastadu Naa Raju and Mr. Perfect. Her Tamil film Aadukalam won six National Film Awards at the 58th National Film Awards. She has also worked in a Malayalam film and has been signed on for three Telugu films and several Hindi films. She was awarded Most Enthusiastic Performer-Female Award at the 2014 Edison Awards for her performance in the Tamil film Arrambam (2013). In 2015, she starred in the critically and commercially successful film Baby. She went on to star in the drama Pink (2016), the war film The Ghazi Attack (2017), and the comedy Judwaa 2 (2017).
Early life and modellingEdit
Taapsee was born on 1 August 1987 in New Delhi. She has a younger sister named Shagun Pannu and plans to launch her into films as well. She did her schooling at the Mata Jai Kaur Public School in Ashok Vihar, Delhi. After completing her graduation in Computer Science Engineering from the Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute of Technology in New Delhi, she worked as a software engineer. She became a full-time model after she auditioned and was selected for Channel V's talent show Get Gorgeous, which eventually led her to acting. Taapsee has appeared in numerous print and television commercials and won several titles during her modelling days, including "Pantaloons Femina Miss Fresh Face" and "Safi Femina Miss Beautiful Skin" at the 2008 Femina Miss India contest. As a model, she endorsed brands such as Reliance Trends, Red FM 93.5, UniStyle Image, Coca-Cola, Motorola, Pantaloon, PVR Cinemas, Standard Chartered Bank, Dabur, Airtel, Tata Docomo, World Gold Council, Havells and Vardhman. She has also been featured on the cover of magazines Just For Women and MaaStars. After a few years, she lost interest in modelling as she thought that she could never gain proper recognition through modelling, but only through films, and finally decided to act.
2010–2015: Debut and recognitionEdit
Taapsee made her cinematic debut in 2010 with K. Raghavendra Rao's romantic musical Jhummandi Naadam. She played the role of the daughter of a US–based millionaire who comes to India to research traditional Telugu music. Taapsee got three more offers in Telugu prior to the film's release. Her next film Aadukalam (2011), marked her debut in Tamil cinema. She played the role of an Anglo-Indian girl falling in love with a rural man played by Dhanush. The film, set in the backdrop of Madurai, revolves around cockfights. It was critically acclaimed and proceeded to win six National Film Awards at the 58th National Film Awards ceremony. Speaking about her role, a reviewer from Sify said: "Debutant Taapsee is a promising find and she suits the character of an Anglo-Indian girl to the T." She returned to the Telugu film industry with Vastadu Naa Raju (2011), opposite Vishnu Manchu. She made a foray into Malayalam cinema later that year, with Doubles (2011), opposite Mammootty and Nadiya Moidu. Paresh C Palicha of Rediff commented: "Taapsee Pannu as Saira Banu, whose entry into the scene becomes the bone of contention between the siblings, has nothing noteworthy to do".
—Taapsee talking about how she got into films
Taapsee played a short role in her next release Mr. Perfect (2011). In it, she acted alongside Prabhas and Kajal Aggarwal and the film was a moderate success. She starred in a high budget film titled Veera (2011), opposite Ravi Teja and Kajal Aggarwal, which received moderate reviews. She was next seen in her second Tamil film Vandhaan Vendraan, that fetched mixed reviews and did not fare well at the box office. Her next film was Krishna Vamsi's Mogudu where she acted as a traditional Telugu girl opposite Gopichand and garnered critical acclaim for her performance. She worked on the Tamil–Telugu bilingual Gundello Godari—titled Maranthen Mannithen in Tamil— apart from Daruvu and Shadow. She also made her Bollywood debut through Chashme Baddoor where she shares the screen with Siddharth, Rishi Kapoor, Divyendu Sharma and Ali Zafar. The film is a remake of the 1981 film with the same title. Taapsee was also approached to dub the voice of Hollywood actress Katee Sackhoff in the Tamil, Telugu and Hindi versions of the science fiction film Riddick, but declined the offer due to her prior commitments. In later 2013, she was seen in the big budget action thriller Arrambam co-starring Ajith Kumar and Arya. She was awarded Most Enthusiastic Performer–Female Award at the 2014 Edison Awards for her performance in the film.
After a year without releases, she starred with Akshay Kumar in Neeraj Pandey's film Baby (2015), as an undercover agent. Later, she had two Tamil releases, the horror comedy Muni 3, opposite Raghava Lawrence and Aishwarya R. Dhanush's Vai Raja Vai, which featured her in a special appearance. Her upcoming films include the Hindi films Running Shaadi.com, alongside Amit Sadh, and Agra Ka Daabraa, by Amit Roy and a Tamil film to be directed by Selvaraghavan.
After finishing Baby, Taapsee joined Shoojit Sircar's next film, titled Pink, and the bilingual submarine film Ghazi, directed by debutant Sankalp. She is also working on Prakash Raj’s Hindi directorial debut Tadka. She next played the title role in the film Naam Shabana, a spin-off from Baby. Later, Taapsee worked in David Dhawan–directed Judwaa 2.
When asked in January 2015 about her personal relationships, Taapsee said: "I have dated a South Indian. Also I have never dated a star and will never date one and that I can write and give you on a stamp paper. I am clear that there can be only one star in the relationship and that's me. I personally don't think it can work out between an actor and an actress." Taapsee believes in the philosophy of "If you got it, you flaunt it". Since late 2013, she has been in a relationship with Danish badminton player Mathias Boe.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2011||Aadukalam||Irene Claude||Tamil||Nominated—Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine|
Nominated—Vijay Award for Best Debut Actress
|Vastadu Naa Raju||Pooja||Telugu|
|Mr. Perfect||Maggie||Telugu||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Telugu|
|2013||Gundello Godari||Sarala||Telugu||Simultaneously made and released in Tamil as Maranthen Mannithen|
|Chashme Baddoor||Seema||Hindi||Bollywood debut, Nominated- Filmfare Award Best Female Debut|
|Arrambam||Anitha||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil|
|2014||Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|Vai Raja Vai||Shreya||Tamil|
|2016||Pink||Meenal Arora||Hindi||Golden Rose Awards Rising Star |
IIFA Awards Women Of The Year
|The Ghazi Attack||Ananya||Hindi|
|Naam Shabana||Shabana Khan||Hindi|
|Anando Brahma||Unnamed ghost||Telugu|
|2018||Dil Juunglee||Koroli Nair||Hindi|
|Baarish aur Chowmein||Neelu||Hindi||Short Film|
Awards and nominationsEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2011||Aadukalam||South Indian International Movie Awards||
Best Female Debutant
|2012||Vijay Award||Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine||Nominated|
|Vijay Award for Best Debut Actress||Nominated|
|Mr. Perfect||Filmfare Awards||Nominated|
|Santosham Film Awards||
Best Actress (Jury)
|2013||Chashme Baddoor||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||
BIG Star Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female
|South Africa India Film And Television Awards||Debut Actor of the Year – Female||Won|
Most Enthusiastic Performer-Female Award
|South Indian International Movie Awards||
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
|2017||Pink||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Rising Star Of The Year||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Best Actor(Female)||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|BIG Zee Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Social Film – Female||Nominated|
|Jagran Film Festival||Best Actor Female - Jury Special Award||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|FiIms of India Online Awards||
Special Jury Awards
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Woman Of The Year||Won|
|Lux Golden Rose Awards||Power Packed Performer Of The Year Award||Nominated|
|2018||Naam Shabana||Breakthrough Beauty Of The Year||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actress (Jury Choices)||Nominated|
|Extraordinary Impact Award – Female||Won|
|Hindustan Times (HT) Most Stylish Awards||HT Most Stylish Breakthrough Performer (Female)||Won|
|GeoSpa AsiaSpa Awards||Best Actress Critics||Won|
|Nitishastra||Streaming Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Soorma||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Breakthrough Beauty Of The Year||Won|
|Jashn-E-Youngistan Awards||Best Actor -Female||Won|
- "Taapsee Pannu Movies: Latest and Upcoming Films of Taapsee Pannu". Times of India. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Taapsee Pannu buys a new home in Mumbai". 28 January 2017. Archived from the original on 20 August 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu, happy birthday!". Bollywoodlife.com. 1 August 2012. Archived from the original on 3 January 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 7 March 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Moviebuzz. "Happy Birthday to Taapsee". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 26 July 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Tapasee denies starring in Tanu Weds Manu remake". Oneindia Entertainment. Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. 30 July 2011. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Introducing Tapasee's sister". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Aadukalam heroine Taapsee chats with fans". Sify Technologies Ltd. 13 January 2011. Archived from the original on 18 February 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "PIX: The Hottest Southern Heroines — Part II". Rediff.com. 4 October 2011. Archived from the original on 28 October 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Aadukalam heroine Tapasee unveiled!". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Motihar, Jhilmil; Vasisht, Shruti (25 January 2008). "On the rampway : Simply Punjabi: News India Today". India Today. Archived from the original on 24 January 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "SHOOT : Female". India Times. Archived from the original on 27 August 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Tapasee Pannu". The Times of India. 3 September 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Vivacious Taapsee on JFW July cover". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Taapsee About MaaStars". MPHInfotech Pvt Ltd. 13 July 2010. Archived from the original on 30 July 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- Rajamani, Radhika (29 June 2010). "From software engineer to happening heroine!". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 12 November 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Rajamani, Radhika (12 April 2011). "Telugu actress Taapsee goes places". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 22 September 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Jhummandi Naadam – Movie Review". Oneindia Entertainment. Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. 1 July 2010. Archived from the original on 29 January 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Dhanush gets a Punjabi kudi as heroine". Sify Technologies Ltd. 30 September 2009. Archived from the original on 21 August 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Moviebuzz. "Aadukalam-Review". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 11 November 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Vastadu Naa Raju`s interesting plot". Telugucinema.com. Sify technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 2 May 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- George, Meghna (6 April 2011). "First Look: Mammootty's next, Doubles". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 9 April 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Palicha, Paresh C (15 April 2011). "Review: Doubles is like a tacky TV serial". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 12 December 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Kavirayani, Suresh (25 April 2011). "Mr Perfect". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 21 January 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- IANS (22 May 2011). "Ravi Teja's 'Veera' a let down". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Moviebuzz. "Vandhan Vendraan". Sify Technologies Ltd. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Suresh, Sunayana (1 March 2012). "Taapsee gets a makeover". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Jyothi, Krishna (31 January 2012). "Taapsee in dancing mode for Daruvu". Expressbuzz. Retrieved 7 September 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Tapasee to romance Venkatesh in Shadow". OneIndia Entertainment. Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. 25 January 2012. Archived from the original on 23 May 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Venkatesh's Shadow movie launch". NDTV. NDTV Convergence Limited. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Malini, Shankaran (11 December 2011). "When they encountered Rishi Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Sangeetha, P (13 January 2012). "Tapsee Pannu loves her curls". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Lakshmi, V. (8 September 2013). "Taapsee's dubbing dilemma". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu to dub for Riddick". The New Indian Express. 29 August 2013. Archived from the original on 8 September 2017. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "'Arrambam' Review Roundup: Stylish Entertainer; Real Treat for Ajith Fans". International Business Times. 31 October 2013. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu wins Enthusiastic Performer-Female award at Edison Awards 2014". News.biharprabha.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Neeraj Pandey signs Taapsee Pannu opposite Akshay Kumar?". The Indian Express. 13 April 2014. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "I'm not the villain in Vai Raja Vai: Taapsee". The Times of India. 23 May 2014. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Manager talk upsets Taapsee Pannu". The Times of India. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Taapsee in 'Running shaadi.com'". The Times of India. 26 October 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Taapsee Pannu’s back. The Hindu (4 April 2015). Retrieved on 25 August 2015.
- Trisha, Taapsee to work in Selvaraghavan's next Archived 3 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Hindustantimes.com (29 April 2015). Retrieved on 25 August 2015.
- Taapsee Pannu joins Amitabh Bachchan in Delhi for their next film ‘Pink’ Archived 18 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. The Indian Express (13 March 2016). Retrieved on 15 July 2016.
- Director Shoojit Sircar opens up about Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu's 'Pink' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis Archived 2 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Dnaindia.com (30 March 2016). Retrieved on 15 July 2016.
- SEE PICS: Here are the new stills of Taapsee Pannu from the sets of Ghazi : Regional cinema, News – India Today Archived 24 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Indiatoday.intoday.in (21 April 2016). Retrieved on 15 July 2016.
- "Prakash Raj to remake 'Un Samayal Arayil' in Hindi with Shriya Saran, Taapsee Pannu". Daily News and Analysis. 6 April 2016. Archived from the original on 22 August 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu shows off her bikini body, Jacqueline Fernandez flaunts her appetite after wrapping up Judwaa 2. See photos". Archived from the original on 21 August 2017.
- "HOT: Taapsee Pannu flaunts a floral bikini look from Judwaa 2". Bollywood Hungama News Network. 29 July 2017. Archived from the original on 21 August 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "REVEALED: Ali Fazal cast opposite Taapsee Pannu in this remake of Spanish film by Sujoy Ghosh". Bollywood Hungama. 25 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "FIRST LOOK motion poster of Soorma introduces Taapsee Pannu as hockey player Harpreet". Bollywood Hungama. 15 May 2018. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh Archived 7 March 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (22 January 2015). Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Taapsee Pannu To Her Bikini Critics: 'If You Have The Body, Flaunt It'". NDTV.com. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "No trouble in paradise: Taapsee and her alleged beau Mathias Boe are still together". Deccan Chronicle. 15 January 2018. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "tadka taapsee pannu ali fazal - Google Search". www.google.ca. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Taapsee Pannu: Have a powerful role in 'Badla'". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "Taapsee Pannu's bilingual 'Game Over' to start rolling from tomorrow". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- https://m.timesofindia.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/photo-features/movies-to-look-forward-to/mission-mangal-akshay-kumar-reveals-the-star-cast-of-his-film/photostory/66513144.cms. Missing or empty
- "Taapsee bagged santhosham special jury award". Idlebrain.com. 19 September 2012.
- Parande, Shweta. "SAIFTA 2013: Gangs of Wasseypur, English Vinglish, Bade Acche Lagte Hain lead nominations". Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Big ZEE Entertainment Awards: Nominations list". Bizasialive.com. 22 July 2017. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Jagran Film Festival 2017: Nawazuddin Siddiqui received Ragnigandha Achievers Award". JFF. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "2nd FOI Online Awards". FOI Online Awards.
- "Winners Of Lux Golden Rose Awards 2017 – Eastern ye". easterneye.eu. 11 December 2017. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Zee Cine Awards -2018". Zee Cine Awards.
- "HT India's Most Stylish 2018: All the 2017 winners in one list as awards hit Mumbai". hindustantimes.com/. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "11th GeoSpa asiaSpa India Awards". M.photos.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Taapsee Pannu receives the Best Actress award for her short film 'Nitishastra'". Dnaindia.com. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and team Veere Di Wedding awarded at Golden Rose Awards, 2018