Action Jackson (2014 film)
Action Jackson is a 2014 Indian action masala film directed by Prabhu Deva and produced by Gordhan Tanwani and Sunil Lulla. It features Ajay Devgn in dual roles, alongside Sonakshi Sinha, Yami Gautam and Manasvi Mamgai as the female leads. Kunaal Roy Kapur appears in a supporting role with Anandaraj portraying the main antagonist. Prabhu Deva and Ajay Devgn have paired for the first time with this film. Action Jackson released on 5 December 2014.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prabhu Deva|
|Produced by||Gordhan Tanwani|
|Screenplay by||Prabhu Deva|
A. C. Mugil
|Story by||A. C. Mugil|
Kunaal Roy Kapur
|Cinematography||Vijay Kumar Arora|
|Edited by||Bunty Nagi|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Box office||₹50 crores|
Vishi (Ajay Devgn) is a small-time crook who would do anything for money. He falls in love with Khushi (Sonakshi Sinha), a simple HR executive, who then begins a relationship with him. One day, Vishi, who frequently gets involved in fights, publicly beats up a street gangster, who later seeks a revenge attack with his gang. The gangster and his gang brutally beat up Vishi, and easily escape the scene. It is then revealed that the person they had beaten is actually Vishi's lookalike, Jai. The goons escape when they hear the siren, and Vishi is found alive on a bike, then the same goons get beaten brutally by Vishi. Khushi tries to explain to Vishi that she loves him, he understands and they both start falling in love. On another occasion, a police inspector arrests Jai and hands him over to a group of gangsters led by Pedro (Ketan Karande). Jai single-handedly kills them all and is revealed to be a professional assassin and previous right-hand man of underworld criminal Xavier Fonseca (Anandaraj), nicknamed AJ. After AJ single-handedly rescued Xavier's sister Marina (Manasvi Mamgai) from a bunch of kidnappers, Marina falls for Jai but he rejects her as he is been married to Anusha (Yami Gautam).
Angered, Xavier tries to kill Anusha twice to get AJ married to Marina, which leaves her brutally injured. Jai then escaped to India and is in the process of getting her treated. When Vishi spots Jai, he reveals his identity and story to Vishi. Jai then requests Vishi to go to Bangkok disguised as AJ to fool Xavier and his sister; meanwhile, AJ makes time to get his wife operated on, as she is expecting a baby. Vishi agrees to help and goes to Bangkok along with his friend Musa (Kunaal Roy Kapur). Meanwhile, Insp. Shirke finds AJ's lookalike and tries to inform Xavier but ended up murdered. The style of murder triggers suspicion to Xavier. Marina tortures Musa to know the truth. He reveals that Vishi is the one who masqueraded as AJ. Xavier hatches a plan to bring AJ to Bangkok by kidnapping his wife, baby, and lookalike and threatens to kill all three of them. It is revealed up to that Vishi is actually in Mumbai and AJ and himself switched their places in the airport at a time after the job is done. AJ reaches the spot and kills all Xavier's henchmen, Xavier, Marina while AJ and Anusha escape with their kid. Later it was revealed to be safe who was rescued by one of a man (Razzak Khan) of Xavier. The film ends with AJ and Vishi meeting at airport and Anusha requests Vishi to marry Khushi soon.
- Ajay Devgn as Vishi / Jai (AJ) (dual role)
- Sonakshi Sinha as Khushi
- Yami Gautam as Anusha
- Kunaal Roy Kapur as Musa
- Manasvi Mamgai as Marina
- Anandaraj as Xavier (Viraj Adhav as the Hindi dubbing voice)
- Prabhas special appearance in the song "Punjabi Mast"
- Shahid Kapoor special appearance in the song "Punjabi Mast"
- Prabhu Deva special appearance in the song "AJ"
- Razzak Khan as Xavier's henchman
- Arti Puri as Khushi's Friend
- Natasa Stankovic as Natasha
- Ankita Bhargava as Khushi's Friend
- Puru Raajkumar as Inspector Shirke
- Shawar Ali as Nawab (cameo)
- Rocky Verma as Riya's father in New Zealand
- Ketan Karande as Pedro
- Sulabha Arya as Vishi's neighbour
- Rajesh Khattar as Special appearance
- Nalneesh Neel as Panwala
Prarthna Sarkar from International Business Times gave Action Jackson 1 star out of 5, stating it is a "bad dream" for viewers. Gayatri Sarkar from Zee News gave 1 star out of 5, stating that the film failed to entertain the audience. Deepanjana Paul from Firstpost criticised the film for its poor direction, editing and story. Film critic Rajeev Masand rated the film 1 out of 5, feeling that the film has excessive violence. Under a headline calling the film a feminist milestone, Raja Sen for Rediff rated it 3/5 saying that while the film is filled with "relentless absurdity", the women propel the narrative in a refreshing way. Rachit Gupta from Filmfare gave a similar rating of 3/5, stating that the genre mixing of unscripted comedy and stylized action is " too inconsistent to garner any appreciation". Mumbai Mirror similarly rated it 3/5 and responded positively.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||10 November 2014|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Himesh Reshammiya chronology|
|1.||"Dhoom Dhaam"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Ankit Tiwari, Palak Muchhal||4:38|
|2.||"Punjabi Mast"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Ankit Tiwari, Neeti Mohan, Arya Acharya, Alamgir Khan, Vineet Singh||4:14|
|3.||"Gangster Baby"||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Neeraj Shridhar, Neeti Mohan||4:40|
|4.||"Chichora Piya"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Shalmali Kholgade, Himesh Reshammiya||4:27|
|5.||"Keeda"||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:06|
|6.||"Keeda" (remix)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:00|
|7.||"Punjabi Mast" (remix)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Ankit Tiwari, Neeti Mohan, Arya Acharya, Alamgir Khan, Vineet Singh||3:53|
|8.||"Chichora Piya" (remix)||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Shalmali Kholgade||4:08|
|9.||"Keeda" (reprise)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:06|
- "Action Jackson - Movie - Box Office India". Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- 'Action Jackson' Movie Review: It' a Bad, Bad Dream. International Business Times. Prarthna Sarkar. 5 December 2014.
- ‘Action Jackson’ review: Fails to entertain. 7 December 2014.
- Action Jackson review: Watching this Ajay Devgn starrer is like punishing yourself. Firstpost. Deepanjana Paul. 7 December 2014.
- 'Action Jackson' review: The film is an orgy of bloody fight scenes.IBN live. Rajeev Masand. 5 December 2014.
- Review: Action Jackson is a milestone in feminist cinema – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.
- Movie Review: Action Jackson. Filmfare.com (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.
- Film review: Action Jackson. Mumbai Mirror (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.