Uppalapati Venkata Suryanarayana Prabhas Raju (born 23 October 1979), known mononymously as Prabhas, is an Indian actor who works predominantly in Telugu cinema. One of the highest-paid actors of Indian cinema, Prabhas has featured in Forbes India's Celebrity 100 list three times since 2015 based on his income and popularity. He has received seven Filmfare Awards South nominations and is a recipient of the Nandi Award and the SIIMA Award.
23 October 1979
|Relatives||Krishnam Raju (uncle)|
Prabhas made his acting debut with the 2002 Telugu drama Eeswar, and later attained his breakthrough with the romantic action film Varsham (2004). His notable works include Chatrapathi (2005), Bujjigadu (2008), Billa (2009), Darling (2010), Mr. Perfect (2011), and Mirchi (2013). He won the state Nandi Award for Best Actor for his performance in Mirchi.
In 2015, Prabhas starred in the title role in S. S. Rajamouli's epic action film Baahubali: The Beginning, which is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film to date. He later reprised his role in its sequel, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), which became the first Indian film ever to gross over ₹1,000 crore (US$155 million) in all languages in just ten days, and is the second highest-grossing Indian film to date.
Prabhas was born in to film producer Uppalapati Surya Narayana Raju and Siva Kumari. The youngest of the three children, he has a brother, Prabodh and a sister, Pragathi. He is the nephew of Telugu actor Krishnam Raju. His family hails from Mogalthur, near Bhimavaram of West Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh. He completed his intermediate education from Nalanda College, Hyderabad. He is an alumnus of Satyanand Film Institute, Visakhapatnam.
2002–2011: Debut and breakthrough
Prabhas started his movie career with Eeswar in 2002. In 2003, he was the lead in Raghavendra. In 2004, he appeared in Varsham and Adavi Raamudu. In 2005, he appeared in Chakram and in the film Chatrapathi, directed by S. S. Rajamouli, in which he portrays the role of a refugee, exploited by goons. It had a 100-day run in 54 centers. Idlebrain.com stated that he had a unique style and macho charm in his screen presence. Later he acted in Pournami, Yogi and Munna, an action-drama film came out in 2007, followed by the action-comedy Bujjigadu in 2008. In 2009 his two films were Billa and Ek Niranjan. Indiaglitz called Billa stylish and visually rich.
In 2010 he appeared in the romantic comedy Darling. The film opened to positive reviews. The Times of India gave a two and half star rating explaining "Director Karunakaran extracts good performances from his actors, but can't come up with a refreshing plot. It looks like the director hasn't really come out of his Tholi Prema hangover as he dishes out yet another one-sided love saga but fails to come up with a valid and logical reason to make a Gen Z lad to hold back his feelings for his lover until the last moment. However, he compensates it all, by adding loads of fun moments in the film and the screenplay does have its share of some touching moments." In 2011, he appeared in Mr. Perfect, another romantic comedy. The review site GreatAndhra rated the film with three stars and noted "The film comes across as a clean, family entertainer and the intention of the makers must be appreciated.
2012–2014: Continued career
In 2012, Prabhas starred in Rebel, an action film directed by Raghava Lawrence. Sashidhar from The Times of India stated, "The film belongs to hard-core Prabhas fans as the movie is stylish and visually rich but not much in content". Purnima Ranawat from NDTV said, "Rebel serves up fare for the mass audience. The film will be definitely liked by Prabhas' fans. Watch it for the dancing talent of Tamannaah Bhatia and action skills of Prabhas." Radhika Rajamani from Rediff.com gave the movie one and half stars out of five and said, "Working with hardly any storyline, director Raghava Lawrence had made a film that is arduous to watch... Rebel is a movie for the masses and certainly not for the discerning audience." He rendered voice for a short cameo for the film Denikaina Ready (2012).
In 2013, Prabhas starred in Mirchi. Jeevi of Idlebrain.com gave a rating of 3.25 out of 5, commenting that "First half of Mirchi is decent. Flashback episode which occupies 100% of second half is good. Climax could have been better. The plus points of the film are Prabhas, music and all-round orientation. On a whole, Mirchi has all the ingredients of a commercial potboiler". Mahesh S Koneru gave his verdict that "At the Box Office, the film will turn in a good commercial performance", giving the film a score of 3.25/5. Way2movies also gave a rating of 3.25/5, giving the verdict that "Prabhas rocks the show in this decent yet formulaic commercial entertainer". Super good movies gave the film 3 stars in a scale of 5, reviewing that "Go and Watch Mirchi, It entertains both Class and Mass. It is a worth watch." Prabhas made his Hindi cinema debut in 2014 by doing a cameo role in the item number "Punjabi Mast" from the film Action Jackson.
2015–present: Baahubali and roles in Pan-India films
In 2015, Prabhas appeared as Shivudu/Mahendra Baahubali and Amarendra Baahubali in S.S. Rajamouli's epic Baahubali: The Beginning which is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film to date. The film started a new film movement named Pan-India films. Prabhas reprised his role in its sequel, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), which became the first Indian film ever to gross over ₹1,000 crore (US$155 million) in all languages in just ten days, and is the second highest-grossing Indian film to date. He won the SIIMA Award for Best Actor (Telugu) for his performance in The Conclusion. He sized upto 105 kgs for Baahubali's character.
As of January 2021[update], Prabhas has two films under production, namely the romantic drama Radhe Shyam, and the Prashanth Neel-directed action film Salaar. Further, he has signed two other films. He would play the titular role in Aadipurush, an adaptation of the Hindu epic Ramayana. The film helmed by director Om Raut also stars Saif Ali Khan. He is committed to feature alongside Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan for Nag Ashwin's untitled sci fi film currently under the name Project-K.
Prabhas, who has been signed on by Mahindra & Mahindra as brand ambassador for the new Mahindra TUV300 car, has made his debut in the television commercial arena with their new ad in 2015. He generally does not endorse brands frequently. News 18 reported that he rejected brand endorsements worth ₹150 crore in 2020.
In the media
Prabhas is often referred as "Darling" or "Pan-India star". He was ranked second in Times' Most Desirable Men for the year 2017, and twelfth in 2018. He was then added to the Forever Desirable list of Hyderabad Times in 2019. He was the most searched actor on Google in Karnataka, for the year 2019. He is the only actor from south cinema to feature in the magazine Eastern Eye's 2019 listing of the 10 Sexiest Asian Men. He was also featured in the GQ in their listing of the most influential young Indians of 2017. Pooja Dhar of Pinkvilla cited him as "one of the most humble and down to earth Indian actors" in her article. In September 2020, Prabhas adopted 1650 acres of land in Khazipally Reserve Forest, and made additional donations for the development of the eco-park in the name of his late father.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Chatrapathi||Siva / Chatrapathi[a]||Telugu|
|2007||Yogi||Eeswar Prasad / Yogi[a]||Telugu|
|2008||Bujjigadu||Bujji / Linga Raju / Rajinikanth[a]||Telugu|
|2009||Billa||Billa / Ranga[b]||Telugu|
|2012||Rebel||Rishi / Rebel[a]||Telugu|
|Denikaina Ready||N/A||Telugu||Voice role; cameo appearance|||
|2014||Action Jackson||Himself||Hindi||Special appearance|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Mahendra Baahubali / Shivudu / Shivu
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion|
|2019||Saaho||Ashok Chakravarthy / Siddhant Nandan Saaho[a]||Telugu
|TBA||Untitled Nag Ashwin film||TBA||Telugu
Awards and nominations
|2010||Critic's Choice Actor||Darling||Won|||
|2019||Highest Grossing Debut Actor||Saaho||Won|||
|2004||Best Actor – Telugu||Varsham||Nominated|||
|2005||Best Actor – Telugu||Chatrapathi||Nominated|||
|2009||Best Actor – Telugu||Ek Niranjan||Nominated|||
|2011||Best Actor – Telugu||Mr. Perfect||Nominated|||
|2013||Best Actor – Telugu||Mirchi||Nominated|||
|2015||Best Actor – Telugu||Baahubali: The Beginning||Nominated|||
|2017||Best Actor – Telugu||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Nominated|||
|2015||Best Actor – Telugu||Baahubali: The Beginning||Nominated|||
|Best Actor – Tamil||Baahubali: The Beginning||Nominated|||
|2004||Best Young Performer||Varsham||Won|||
|2015||Best Actor Award||Baahubali: The Beginning||Won|||
|2011||Best Actor (Telugu)||Mr. Perfect||Nominated|||
|2013||Best Actor (Telugu)||Mirchi||Nominated|
|2015||Best Actor (Telugu)||Baahubali: The Beginning||Nominated|
|2017||Best Actor (Telugu)||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Won|
|2015||IBNLive Movie Awards Best Actor – South||Baahubali: The Beginning||Nominated|||
- "Rapid Fire round with Prabhas and Shraddha Kapoor during Saaho Dubai promotions". YouTube. Retrieved 7 September 2020.
time 3:00 to 3:20
- "15 Interesting Facts About Prabhas You Should Know Before Calling Yourself His Biggest Fan!". India Times. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
His full name is .
- "Happy birthday Prabhas: Six lesser known facts about the Baahubali actor". Indian Express. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
Actor Prabhas turned 37 on Sunday.
- "Prabhas - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "2017 Celebrity 100 - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "Prabhas - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "India's most expensive film?". Hindustan Times. 15 July 2013.
- "Bahubali wins national award for Best Film". The Times of India. 28 March 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Baahubali 2 star Prabhas becomes first South Indian actor to get a wax statue at Madame Tussauds. See pics". Indian Express. 2 May 2017.
- TNM Staff (16 March 2016). "Actor Prabhas's brother sentenced to one year imprisonment in cheque bounce case". The News Minute. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- Rashmi Mishra (26 May 2018). "Bahubali 2 Movie Star Cast Educational Qualifications: Prabhas, Anushka Shetty & others are a studious bunch of actors!". India.com. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- Pavan, P (28 April 2017). "Bahubali 2: Police imposes Section 144 in Prabhas's hometown". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 16 March 2021.
- Reddy, R. Ravikanth (10 June 2017). "Bahubali's school adopts Kilimanjaro girl". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- "The fresh faces of Kannada cinema". The New Indian Express. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema – 100 days centers – Prabhas & Shriya Archived 13 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Idlebrain.com. Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema Review – Prabhas, Shriya. Idlebrain.com (29 September 2005). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Billa review. Billa Telugu movie review, story, rating. IndiaGlitz.com (3 April 2009). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- "Darling Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "'Mr Perfect' Review: Perfect With Slight Imperfection". greatandhra. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "Prabhas' Rebel Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 16 January 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Rebel movie review". New Delhi: NDTV. Archived from the original on 30 September 2012. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Rajamani, Radhika. "Review: Rebel is for the masses". Rediff. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Sashidhar AS (12 September 2012). "Denikaina Ready audio on Sep 23". The Times of India.
- "Telugu Movie review – Mirchi". Idlebrain.com. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Review : Mirchi – Decent but not Spicy". 123telugu.com. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Mirchi Movie Review". Way2movies. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Mirchi Movie Review". Super Good Movies. Archived from the original on 17 February 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Tuesday Trivia: Did you know Prabhas made a special appearance in THIS Bollywood film before becoming a pan-India star with Baahubali?". Bollywood Life. 3 November 2020. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Did you know Prabhas made his Bollywood debut way back in 2014 with this Prabhu Deva film?". Republic World. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- Oops... 'PK' Is Not Actually India's Top-Grossing Movie Ever. Forbes.com (14 August 2015). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- "'Baahubali' Zooms Past 'Dhoom', Now India's All Time #3". Forbes.
- Mike McCahill (12 July 2015). "Baahubali: The Beginning review – fantastic bang for your buck in most expensive Indian movie ever made". The Guardian.
- "Bahubali 2 Hits 1000 Crore Worldwide In Ten Days - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "Baahubali 2's Rs 1000 crore collection: How SS Rajamouli's film achieved its box office numbers- Entertainment News, Firstpost". First Post. 8 May 2017.
- Baahubali 2 Creates History, Becomes First Indian Movie Ever To Collect Rs 1,000 Crore. Ndtv.com (30 April 2017). Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "SIIMA AWARDS | 2018 | winners | |". siima.in. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Baahubali 2: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Prabhas". NDTV.com. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (31 August 2019). "This is why negative reviews won't affect Saaho box office collection for 3 days". www.ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Top Grossers All Formats Worldwide Gross". www.boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Prabhas' look from the sets of 'Salaar' leaked online: Fans go berserk". The Times of India. 30 January 2021. Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- "From Salaar to Adipurush - here's a look at all the upcoming films of Prabhas". Times Now. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Mahindra TUV300: Baahubali actor Prabhas makes his TVC debut". 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2019. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "Prabhas refuses to take up brand endorsements worth Rs 150 crores, why?". The Siasat Daily. 23 June 2021. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Prabhas Rejected Brand Endorsements Worth Rs 150 crore in Past Year, Here's Why". www.news18.com. 23 June 2021. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Prabhas - The second most desirable in India". Sify. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "'The Times 50 Most Desirable Men Of 2018' List Is Out & Guess Who The Top 5 Most Wanted Men Are". www.mensxp.com. 17 May 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- @HydTimes (2 June 2021). "Forever Desirable : The latest to join the club is our very own #Baahubali, #Prabhas, who enjoys a huge fan following! #HydTimesMostDesirableMen2020 #ForeverDesirable" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Prabhas joins Hyd Times Forever Desirable list". 123telugu.com. 2 June 2021. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Ajith, Prabhas are Karnataka's most-searched actors - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Prabhas makes it to the Top 10 list of Sexiest Asian Men of 2019; only actor from South - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 June 2021.
- Movies, Rediff. "Meet the SEXIEST Asian Male of 2019". Rediff. Retrieved 21 June 2021.
- Nast, Condé. "GQ's Most Influential Young Indians 2017: Artistes". GQ India. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "All the times Prabhas wished other Indian actors". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
- "Prabhas adopts 1650 acres of forest land in Khazipally: Donates Rs 2 crore for eco-park development - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Prabhas dubs his voice for Manchu Vishnu". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- Sashidhar AS (13 January 2013). "Rajamouli-Prabhas' film is titled Bahubali". The Times of India.
- "Baahubali Prabhas's next film is Saaho, will have action by Transformers' stuntman". Hindustan Times. 23 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Prabhas' Radhe Shyam gets a Sankranthi release date, to clash with Mahesh Babu's Sarkaru Vaari Paata, Pawan Kalyan's next". The Indian Express. 30 July 2021. Retrieved 30 July 2021.
- "Shruti to romance Prabhas in 'Salaar'". Sify. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Prabhas's upcoming 'Adipurush' goes on floors". The News Minute. 2 February 2021. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- K, Janani (24 July 2021). "Prabhas gives first clap for Amitabh Bachchan as Nag Ashwin's sci-fi film goes on floors". India Today. Retrieved 24 July 2021.
- "Lux Cinemaa awards 2011 - Telugu cinema". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Highest Grossing Debut Actor". Koimoi. 17 February 2020. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Highest Grossing Debut Actor". Iwmbuzz. 17 February 2020. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Prabhas has won multiple awards in his career. Here's a list". Republic World. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Prabhas - Best Telugu Actor in Leading Role Male Nominee | Filmfare Awards". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (4 July 2016). "Why did 'Bahubali' star Prabhas not get best actor award from SIIMA, Filmfare, IIFA Utsavam?". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Telugu Cinema function - Santosham Film Awards 2004". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Santosham Film Awards 2016 Winners". Santosham Film Awards. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "IBNLive Movie Awards 2016: Nominees for Best Actor (South)". News18. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prabhas.|