Munna (2007 film)
Munna is a 2007 Indian Telugu action crime film directed by Vamsi Paidipally and produced by Dil Raju. The film starred Prabhas and Ileana D'Cruz in the lead roles, along with Prakash Raj, Tanikella Bharani, Brahmaji Kota Srinivasa Rao and Rahul Dev in supporting roles. The film was postponed several times due to excessive post-production. The film released on 27 April 2007. The film was dubbed into Hindi as Bagawat: Ek Jung, in Tamil as Vetri Thirumagan and in Malayalam under the same name. Later this film was remade in Bangladesh named Amar Challenge starring Shakib Khan and Shahara.
|Directed by||Vamsi Paidipally|
|Produced by||Dil Raju|
|Written by||Vamsi Paidipally|
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations|
Munna (Prabhas) is a college student whose aim is to finish off mafia don Kakha (Prakash Raj), who keeps the entire city under his grip. An honest politician Srinivasa Rao (Kota Srinivasa Rao) relentlessly works to expose Kakha but is killed. Meanwhile, Munna's classmate Nidhi (Ileana D'Cruz) falls in love with him. The twist in the tale is that Kakha is none other than Munna's estranged father who tries to sell off his mother (Kaveri) and was responsible for the deaths of her and Munna's young sister. Another don in the city named Aatma (Rahul Dev), who is Kakha's opposition, asks Munna to join him, but he refuses his proposal. The mind game begins. Kakha's second wife (Sukanya), son, and daughter leave him and join Munna. After some incidents including his best friend's death, Munna finds out that Aatma was working for Kakha. The two of them plan on killing Munna in a factory, when all of a sudden, Aatma turns against Kakha and Munna. Kakha kills Aatma for the betrayal and then Kakha commits suicide and dies by the gun, having lost everything he worked for in his life. At the end, Munna succeeds in taking revenge against Kakha.
- Prabhas as Mahesh alias Munna
- Ileana D'Cruz as Nidhi
- Prakash Raj as Kamalakar (Kamleshwar in Hindi version) alias Kaka
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Minister Srinivasa Rao
- Rahul Dev as Aatma
- Kalyani as Munna's mother
- Sukanya as Kaka's second wife
- Surya as Dr. Niranjan Chowdary, Nidhi's father
- Sudha as Nidhi's mother
- Tanikella Bharani as Qasim
- Posani Krishna Murali as Kishan
- Brahmaji as Purushottam
- Venu Madhav as Mohan
- Raghu Babu as Satti Pandu
- Sameer Hasan as Police Inspector
- Gundu Sudharshan as Priest
- Uttej as Gun Seller
- Chalapathi Rao
- Sandra as Nidhi's friend
- Sridhar as Prakash
- Medha Bahri as Shruti
- Nalla Venu as Tillu
- Shriya Saran in an item number in the song "Chammak"
The film released on 27 April 2007.
Idle brain rated 3/5 stated The movie starts off on a dull note and meanders aimlessly till the dark secret is revealed before interval. The flashback episode is unappealing. There are a couple of surprises in the second half. The plus points of the film are Prabhas, stylish taking of the director and lavish budget. On the flip side, screenplay and narration should have been better. There is no holistic perspective in the film. Let us wait and see if Dil Raju's 'Midas Touch' works for this film or not! Fullhyd states Munna is perhaps worth a watch for those seeking a testosterone high. Its fate depends less on its own merit and more on the kind of competing attractions at the box office in future weeks. CineGoer.com rated 2.75/5 stated The movie has a lot of style, but lacks the necessary soul and substance. Swanky visuals, crisp narration, a demigod like hero and two major twists fail to elevate the movie's average viewing status. Telugu Cinema rates 2.5/5 stated There is not much entertainment in the film. The romance between Prabhas and Illeana was not properly developed. Too much of action is the undoing factor for this film.
The film had six songs composed by Harris Jayaraj.The Audio was launched on 23 March 2007 in the presence of guests like Krishnam Raju, Allu Arjun, Sukumar and Bhaskar. Bhaskar released the audio cassette and presented the first unit to Sukumar, Allu Arjun presented the first audio CD to Prabhas.The soundtrack received highly positive reviews with the song 'Manasa' topping the charts. Soundtrack version of 'Manasa' featured the vocals of Sadhana Sargam while the film version retained vocals provided by Mahalakshmi Iyer. Harris Jayaraj received a nomination for Filmfare Best Music Director in 2007.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 March 2007|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Supreme Music |
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
|1.||"Baga Baga (Power Of Munna)"||Kandikonda||Shankar Mahadevan||4:01|
|2.||"Manasa"||Kandikonda||Sadhana Sargam, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Naresh Iyer, Krish, Haricharan||5:51|
|3.||"Vasthaavaa Vasthaavaa"||Ananta Sriram||KK, Pop Shalini||5:40|
|5.||"Chammakkuro"||Viswa||Karthik, Anushka Manchanda, Blaaze||5:00|
|6.||"Koncham Koncham"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Kailash Kher, Sujatha Mohan||4:41|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Amsa Vennila"||Muthu Vijayan||V.V. Prassanna, Vinaiya||4:52|
|3.||"Puyalukkum Neruppukkum"||M.G. Kanniyappan||Sathyan||5:07|
|4.||"Thimirai Oru Pillai"||Sarathi||Padmalatha, V.V. Prassanna||5:06|
|5.||"Adi Vaama En Mayile"||M. Arul||Pushpavanam Kuppusamy, Hemambika||4:38|
|6.||"Variya Variya"||Muthu Vijayan||Yugendran, Vinaya||5:32|
Sadhana Sargam won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu for the song "Manasa".
- "Munna - Telugu cinema Review - Prabhas & Ileana". Idlebrain.com. 27 April 2007. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Munna review: Munna (Telugu) Movie Review - fullhyd.com". Movies.fullhyderabad.com. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Telugu Movie Reviews - Munna". CineGoer.com. 2 May 2007. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Reviews : Movie Reviews : Munna - Movie Review". Telugucinema.com. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Munna Audio Release". www.ragalahari.com. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "cinegoer.com". Catchy Numbers, Good Vocals. Retrieved 29 March 2007.
- "idlebrain.com". Munna – Catchy but commonplace. Archived from the original on 8 April 2007. Retrieved 4 April 2007.
- "Munna - All Songs - Download or Listen Free - Saavn". Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Vetri Thirumagan - All Songs - Download or Listen Free - Saavn". 1 January 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2018.