Munna (2007 film)
Munna is a 2007 Indian Telugu-language action crime film directed by Vamshi Paidipally and produced by Dil Raju. The film stars Prabhas and Ileana D'Cruz while Prakash Raj, Kota Srinivasa Rao and Rahul Dev in play the supporting roles. The film was postponed several times due to excessive post-production. The film released on 27 April 2007.
|Directed by||Vamsi Paidipally|
|Produced by||Dil Raju|
|Written by||Vamshi Paidipally|
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations|
Munna is a college student whose aim is to finish off mafia don Kakha, who keeps the entire city under his grip. An honest politician Srinivasa Rao relentlessly works to expose Kakha but is killed. Meanwhile, Munna's classmate Nidhi falls in love with him. The twist in the tale is that Kakha is none other than Munna's estranged father who tried to sell off his mother and was responsible for the deaths of her and Munna's young sister. Another don in the city named Aatma, who is Kakha's opposition, asks Munna to join him, but he refuses his proposal. The mind game begins. Kakha's second wife, son, and daughter leave him and join Munna. After some incidents including his best friend's death, Munna finds out that Aatma was working for Kakha. The two of them plan on killing Munna in a factory, when all of a sudden, Aatma turns against Kakha and Munna. Kakha kills Aatma for the betrayal. He then commits suicide by shooting himself, having lost everything that he worked for in his life. At the end, Munna succeeds in taking revenge against Kakha.
- Prabhas as Mahesh alias Munna
- Ileana D'Cruz as Nidhi
- Prakash Raj as Kamalakar alias Kaka
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Minister Srinivasa Rao
- Rahul Dev as Aatma
- Kalyani as Munna's mother
- Sukanya as Kaka's second wife
- Surya as Dr. Niranjan Chowdary, Nidhi's father
- Sudha as Nidhi's mother
- Tanikella Bharani as Qasim
- Posani Krishna Murali as Kishan
- Brahmaji as Purushottam
- Nalla Venu as Tillu
- Venu Madhav as 'Spoon' Mohan
- Raghu Babu as Satti Pandu
- Sameer Hasan as Police Inspector
- Gundu Sudharshan as Priest
- Uttej as Gun Seller
- Chalapathi Rao as Home Minister M. Sudhakar
- Sandra as Nidhi's friend
- Sridhar as Prakash
- Prabhas Sreenu as Sridhar's henchman
- Fish Venkat as Kaka's henchman
- Medha Bahri as Shruti
- Shriya Saran in an item number in the song "Chammak"
The film released on 27 April 2007.
Idle brain rated 3/5 stated The movie starts off on a dull note and meanders aimlessly till the dark secret is revealed before interval. The flashback episode is unappealing. There are a couple of surprises in the second half. The plus points of the film are Prabhas, stylish taking of the director and lavish budget. On the flip side, screenplay and narration should have been better. There is no holistic perspective in the film. Let us wait and see if Dil Raju's 'Midas Touch' works for this film or not! Fullhyd states Munna is perhaps worth a watch for those seeking a testosterone high. Its fate depends less on its own merit and more on the kind of competing attractions at the box office in future weeks. CineGoer.com rated 2.75/5 stated The movie has a lot of style, but lacks the necessary soul and substance. Swanky visuals, crisp narration, a demigod like hero and two major twists fail to elevate the movie's average viewing status. Telugu Cinema rates 2.5/5 stated There is not much entertainment in the film. The romance between Prabhas and Illeana was not properly developed. Too much of action is the undoing factor for this film. No one really said this but still - This has the most cringiest and lamest fight scenes ever, like the scene where he is attached by goons in a car with guns, is really lame.
The film had six songs composed by Harris Jayaraj. The Audio was launched on 23 March 2007 in the presence of guests like Krishnam Raju, Allu Arjun, Sukumar and Bhaskar. Bhaskar released the audio cassette and presented the first unit to Sukumar, Allu Arjun presented the first audio CD to Prabhas. Soundtrack version of 'Manasa' featured the vocals of Sadhana Sargam while the film version retained vocals provided by Mahalakshmi Iyer. Harris Jayaraj received a nomination for Filmfare Best Music Director in 2007.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 March 2007|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Supreme Music |
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
|1.||"Kadhulu Kadhulu Padha |
|Viswa||KK, Karthik (Chorus)||5:07|
|2.||"Manasaa Nuvvunde"||Kandikonda||Sadhana Sargam, Naresh Iyer, Krish, Haricharan, |
Mahalakshmi Iyer (Chorus),
|3.||"Vasthaavaa Vasthaavaa"||Ananta Sriram||KK, Pop Shalini||5:40|
|4.||"Bhaga Bhaga Mande |
(Okadochhesaadey/Power Of Munna)"
|Kandikonda||Shankar Mahadevan & Chorus||4:01|
|5.||"Chammakkuro Challaa"||Viswa||Karthik, Anushka Manchanda, Blaaze (Chorus) & |
|6.||"Konchem Konchem Ooristhunte |
|Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Kailash Kher, Sujatha Mohan||4:41|
|7.||"Manasaa Nuvvunde |
(Mahalakshmi Iyer Version - Unreleased/Theatrical Version)"
|Kandikonda||Mahalakshmi Iyer, Naresh Iyer, Krish, Haricharan,||5:51|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Amsa Vennila"||Muthu Vijayan||V.V. Prassanna, Vinaiya||4:52|
|3.||"Puyalukkum Neruppukkum"||M.G. Kanniyappan||Sathyan||5:07|
|4.||"Thimirai Oru Pillai"||Sarathi||Padmalatha, V.V. Prassanna||5:06|
|5.||"Adi Vaama En Mayile"||M. Arul||Pushpavanam Kuppusamy, Hemambika||4:38|
|6.||"Variya Variya"||Muthu Vijayan||Yugendran, Vinaya||5:32|
Sadhana Sargam won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu for the song "Manasa".
- "Munna - Telugu cinema Review - Prabhas & Ileana". Idlebrain.com. 27 April 2007. Retrieved 22 April 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Munna review: Munna (Telugu) Movie Review - fullhyd.com". Movies.fullhyderabad.com. Retrieved 22 April 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Telugu Movie Reviews - Munna". CineGoer.com. 2 May 2007. Archived from the original on 13 February 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Reviews : Movie Reviews : Munna - Movie Review". Telugucinema.com. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Munna Audio Release". www.ragalahari.com. Retrieved 4 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "cinegoer.com". Catchy Numbers, Good Vocals. Archived from the original on 9 April 2007. Retrieved 29 March 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "idlebrain.com". Munna – Catchy but commonplace. Archived from the original on 8 April 2007. Retrieved 4 April 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Munna - All Songs - Download or Listen Free - Saavn". Retrieved 4 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Vetri Thirumagan - All Songs - Download or Listen Free - Saavn". 1 January 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)